Old 03-21-2017, 09:23 AM

The Why isn't this Book a Movie Already Thread?

I know the usual blah blah blah involves "someone already owns the rights and are sitting on them" crap but there have been several books I read (mostly sci-fi and fantasy) that are compelling stories both on a human level and the Ooo, I want to see that on a screen level. Now there have been a few on screen stinkers like Starship Troopers and several Dean Koontz and Stephen King books but still I'd love to see some great books turned to film.

My contenders are:
Ariel by Steven R Boyett- It has Post Apocalyptic landscapes, a unicorn with an utterly foul mouth and a peppermint candy fetish, a boyish hero who means well, Japanese swordsmanship, and some really kick ass villains. Plus magic.

The Belgariad by David Eddings- More swords and sorcery , interesting characters and probably better in a format like GoT, it would still make a great trilogy of big screen movies.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen r Donaldson- Again, this would be better as an HBO series but I could see a few big screen movies being made of this.

Rite of Passage- Alexei Panshin A great coming of age novel that would slot in well with fans of Hunger Games and Divergent, etc.

So what do you think should be a movie or series?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Simon Green's Forest Kingdom series, particularly Blood and Honor. Swords, sorcery, demons, dragons, scary monsters.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Simon Green's Forest Kingdom series, particularly Blood and Honor. Swords, sorcery, demons, dragons, scary monsters.
Yes, excellent choice, or the related Hawk & Fisher series.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Milton's Paradise Lost. It's been 350 years, Hollywood! Let's get this on the big screen!
Old 03-21-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Milton's Paradise Lost. It's been 350 years, Hollywood! Let's get this on the big screen!
There's an animated film available, I think.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pork-Chop Express View Post
There's an animated film available, I think.
You're thinking of the anime that's an amalgam of Paradise Lost, Purgatorio and Brothers Karamazov. "While its few fans applaud the innovative 'furries on motorcycles chasing up the sides of the giant crystal Stonehenge' scenes, none understand even one hour of the 40-hour epic".

Back on subject, a number of moody thrillers: JK Rowling's Cormoran Stryke trilogy, Lilian Jackson Braun's Jim Qwilleran books, and Koontz's Fear Nothing "trilogy". And why not some old radio detective shows, like "Broadway Is My Beat"?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:15 AM

Ringworld.

Now that cgi is at the level that this movie could be done, it should be. Sure, there's really no plot to speak of, but there wasn't much of a pot to Titanic, and look how well that did. Visually, it could be a stunning movie. Just the shot of the arch going overhead would be worth the price of admission.

For other classic sci fi with the same issues, there could be movies of

Childhood's End
Rendezvous with Rama

I'm not sure we need everything in Known Space. And reading about a two headed, three legged alien with a voice like Marilyn Monroe works OK, but I think the reality would come across as absurd if you actually make Puppeteers in live action.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 03-21-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Ringworld.

Now that cgi is at the level that this movie could be done, it should be. Sure, there's really no plot to speak of, but there wasn't much of a pot to Titanic, and look how well that did. Visually, it could be a stunning movie. Just the shot of the arch going overhead would be worth the price of admission.

For other classic sci fi with the same issues, there could be movies of

Childhood's End
Rendezvous with Rama

I'm not sure we need everything in Known Space. And reading about a two headed, three legged alien with a voice like Marilyn Monroe works OK, but I think the reality would come across as absurd if you actually make Puppeteers in live action.
Childhood's End was done as a miniseries by SyFy in 2015. I found it to be ...acceptable. There were changes but there simply had to be for the story to work. The overall plot was kept.

Rama is in production. Last update on IMDB was October of 2016. There are quite a number of classic science fiction titles in one form of production or another. Foundation is supposedly in some sort of development at HBO. Would be surprised to see that happen.

Ringworld does keep popping up as in development. But it never makes it to screen, either tv or movie.

As a John Scalzi fan, he has three properties in development deals that keep not going anywhere. I would be that today's new release will be optioned quickly too.

The problem is that all of these might make good products by the focus is on easily marketed properties with guaranteed profits. Reboots, sequels, and extensions of known franchises meet those criteria for studio execs even if there are the occasional duds.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Rendezvous with Rama
Morgan Freeman has the film rights and has been trying to make this movie for over a decade now.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 AM

The Anubis Gate by Tim Powers

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody by Will Cuppy

Last edited by Prof. Pepperwinkle; 03-21-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
from your lips to. . .http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...at-syfy-947671

mc
Old 03-21-2017, 10:44 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
How many times has this gone from development to development hell so far?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
How many times has this gone from development to development hell so far?
Same story for the top book on my movie wishlist, Neuromancer. Multiple stops and starts, and it never happens. Just make the damn movie already.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Same story for the top book on my movie wishlist, Neuromancer. Multiple stops and starts, and it never happens. Just make the damn movie already.
Second Neuromancer.

Also, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:37 AM

I'd love to see a series of movies based on the Retief books. Or even a television series.

Stranger in a Strange Land would make an awesome movie (in the right directorial hands), but I can't see it as a television show!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Morgan Freeman has the film rights and has been trying to make this movie for over a decade now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by howye View Post
Childhood's End was done as a miniseries by SyFy in 2015..
It seems I missed the production of Childhood's End, so that's one for Hollywood follow through, but "in production" doesn't necessarily mean anything. I have old issues of Starlog that talked about a ton of recognizable, popular sci-fi projects that were "in production", (one of which was Childhood's End, interestingly enough, but a different production) and over the last nearly 40 years almost none of them came out.

Surprisingly, one that never got a single mention as being "in production" was Zelazny's Lord of Light. That one should have gotten noticed, because it was designed to get publicity, but I never even saw even a passing reference. Maybe Starlog was on to the game?

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 03-21-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Any of Neal Stephenson's books, especially Snow Crash and The Baroque Cycle.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
I think Reamde would be lots of fun, too.

Also, Matthew Kneale's English Passengers and Susan Fromberg Schaeffer's Madness of a Seduced Woman could both be great films.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howye View Post
Childhood's End was done as a miniseries by SyFy in 2015. I found it to be ...acceptable. There were changes but there simply had to be for the story to work. The overall plot was kept.
"Acceptable" is about as far as I'd go. Excellent production values but speaking as someone who hadn't gotten around to reading the book there was a lot of pointlessness and a lot of questions left unanswered. Deeply disappointing.

Both A Confederacy of Dunces and Dream Park (and sequels) by all reports appear to be perpetually tied up in rights wrangling and development hell. The former could still make a decent movie (you'd probably have to cut the side story about the gay characters for time), but the current economics of Amazon/HBO/Netflix etc miniseries would probably suit Dream Park better than a film. Certainly special effects are more than good enough to make it work. You'd have to get some competent writers in to tidy up the sloppiness in the writing, but it shouldn't be too hard.

I'm still hoping to see Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines Quartet books on big screen at some point (although they'd probably have to change it to Infernal Devices to avoid confusion with the "Mortal Instruments" gumph). I mean, come on - entire cities on wheels, chasing each other around a post-apocalyptic landscape? Who doesn't want to see that?

Also from Reeve: I want to see Here Lies Arthur, although that's more a BBC TV miniseries than a film.

Last edited by Gyrate; 03-22-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
You've got a typo there. You meant Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
You've got a typo there. You meant Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon.
If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

The Vorkosigan Saga. Or Bujold's The Curse of Chalion.

StG
Old 03-21-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
The Vorkosigan Saga.

I always thought that Aron Eisenberg from Deep Space 9 could pull off playing Miles, but alas, he's probably way too old for the role now.

Just watch the last 40 seconds or so of this, and tell me that's not Miles-like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8hcHXwqPEo
Old 03-27-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
The Vorkosigan Saga. Or Bujold's The Curse of Chalion.

StG
The top of my personal list is "Falling Free", which is part of the Vorkosigan universe, from before Miles' time.

CGI has matured to the point of being able to pull it off.

And use the Tom Smith song about it as the theme music.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:07 PM

I second H. P. Lovecraft. If the production would skip trying for shock value and look for suspense and dread.

I would like to see Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas" series made into moview. There was one movie and it was good. Unfortunately it also starred the too soon departed Anton Yelchin.

I would also like to see Jack L. Chalker's "Well World" series made into movies, but I could see it treated more properly as a mini-series.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:50 AM

I'd love to see Rainbow's End as a movie.

The politics in Vernor Vinge's other works would be fascinating, but I don't really see sentient packs of dogs or giant spiders as viable characters.

I'd also love to see Monkey Wrench Gang turned into a movie.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:07 PM

As I've argued before, Alfred Bester's the Stars my Destination. I think it can be done, naysayers be damned, and far easier than many other suggestions in this thread.

I'll add in for Rendezvous with Rama, which I think would be better than Chuldhood's End was.

I'd like to see a decent movie made out of Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Every adaptation I've seen is either a vehicle for the Star At The Time (Will Rogers, Bing Crosby) or changes the novel so completely that you don't recognize it (PBS, of all groups, various kid's adaptations, lots of popular movies ostensibly based on it). Dammit, Twain's highly comic and dramatic scenes -- the Destruction of Merlin's Tower, the Restoration of the Holy Fountain, the Charge of the Knights on Bicycles -- deserve to be put on screen.

I'd like to see at least one Heinlein novel adapted with something approaching fidelity. There are plenty to choose from, CGI has advanced to the point where you can do it justice. All you need to do is not to be lily-livered about it (Puppet Masters) or to have your own philosophy get in the way ([I]Stormship Troopers[/I). For the record, I think that Stranger in a Strange Land wouldn't be a good choice. Double Star might.

And I've long wanted to adapt Fredric Brown's classic story Arena for the screen. It's been done wrong often enough. And you can do it justice (without padding it out) as a movie.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:21 PM

I wish that so much of the B-plot of The Doomsday Book didn't revolve around
SPOILER:
mobile phones not existing

But with some structural changes to account for that, I think it could be an amazingly powerful movie.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
A

I'd like to see at least one Heinlein novel adapted with something approaching fidelity. There are plenty to choose from, CGI has advanced to the point where you can do it justice. All you need to do is not to be lily-livered about it (Puppet Masters) or to have your own philosophy get in the way ([I]Stormship Troopers[/I). For the record, I think that Stranger in a Strange Land wouldn't be a good choice. Double Star might..
Most of his later Juveniles would work. Door Into Summer?

What would NOT work for a Movie (maybe a mini series?) is the Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
What would NOT work for a Movie (maybe a mini series?) is the Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
Why?
Old 03-21-2017, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering View Post
Why?
All Talking, no action. And not even talking person to person, a man talking to a computer.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering View Post
Why?
Politics would be the major reason. Heinlein's works are often seen as right-wing or libertarian.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
And I've long wanted to adapt Fredric Brown's classic story Arena for the screen. It's been done wrong often enough. And you can do it justice (without padding it out) as a movie.
There was barely enough to make a Star Trek episode. How would you make it a full movie without padding?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
There was barely enough to make a Star Trek episode. How would you make it a full movie without padding?
There was more than enough to fill the time of the Star Trek episode -- which a.) really wasn't an adaptation -- they were already writing it when someone noticed the similarity to Brown's story; and b.) therefore doesn't have a LOT of stuff that's in the story; c.) most notably the ending, which is completely different (No gunpowder from scratch, and what the hero does is different than what Kirk does with the Gorn).

You can do it, and to do it justice, you need time. Without letting it drag.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:54 PM

I'm a little surprised that more of Clive Cussler's novels haven't been filmed. They're incredibly dumb and clichéd, but they're very cinematic. Cussler himself is said to be one reason -- he makes himself a pain, apparently. It doesn't help that the only two Cussler movies -- Raise the Titanic and Sahara -- both tanked. But You'd think, with the already pre-sold market for these a set of well-made movies would turn a decent profit.

For that matter, why not the equally outrageous novels of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs, both together and separately? So far all they've made has been The Relic, but I thought that did decently. With the success of the Oak Island series on cable, you'd think that their novel Riptide would do well. (Just stat away from the damned Agent Pendergast books)
Old 03-21-2017, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is a rare case where I feel meddling with the story improved it. I like Gene Coon's ending better than I like Brown's original.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
This is a rare case where I feel meddling with the story improved it. I like Gene Coon's ending better than I like Brown's original.
Not me. And I hate the way they fundamentally changed the nature of the story.

Of course, I understand why -- you couldn't depict things on TV then with the effects available. Even when Marvel adapted it for the comics they gave the Outsider a T. Rex head (maybe in homage to the Star Trek version). But nowadays you can create the visuals you want with the CGI available.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Startide Rising. Another space opera that couldn't be done until recently (dolphins make up a fair chunk of the character base), but would translate fantastically to the screen.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
<snip>

I'd like to see a decent movie made out of Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Every adaptation I've seen is either a vehicle for the Star At The Time (Will Rogers, Bing Crosby) or changes the novel so completely that you don't recognize it (PBS, of all groups, various kid's adaptations, lots of popular movies ostensibly based on it). Dammit, Twain's highly comic and dramatic scenes -- the Destruction of Merlin's Tower, the Restoration of the Holy Fountain, the Charge of the Knights on Bicycles -- deserve to be put on screen.

<Snip>
Actually, I thought Wishbone pulled it off pretty well....

The ones I'd like to see are best delt with as SciFy Channel miniseries

StarRigger/Red Limit Freeway/Paradox Alley by John DeChancie
Terms of Enlistment series by Marko Kloos
Old 03-24-2017, 09:16 AM

I read this and immediately thought that Morgan Freeman or David Attenborough would be the perfect narrator for the Centuries.
http://the-toast.net/2013/08/08/slig...for-leibowitz/
This is the quote referenced, tell me who you hear reading it in voice-over.

"We are the centuries… We have your eoliths and your mesoliths and your neoliths. We have your Babylons and your Pompeiis, your Caesars and your chromium-plated (vital-ingredient impregnated) artifacts. We have your bloody hatchets and your Hiroshimas. We march in spite of Hell, we do – Atrophy, Entropy, and Proteus vulgaris, telling bawdy jokes about a farm girl name of Eve and a traveling salesman called Lucifer. We bury your dead and their reputations. We bury you. We are the centuries. Be born then, gasp wind, screech at the surgeon’s slap, seek manhood, taste a little godhood, feel pain, give birth, struggle a little while, succumb: (Dying, leave quietly by the rear exit, please.) Generation, regeneration, again, again, as in a ritual, with blood-stained vestments and nail-torn hands, children of Merlin, chasing a gleam. Children, too, of Eve, forever building Edens – and kicking them apart in berserk fury because somehow it isn’t the same. (AGH! AGH! AGH! – an idiot screams his mindless anguish amid the rubble. But quickly! let it be inundated by the choir, chanting Alleluias at ninety decibels.)"
Old 03-24-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
I read this and immediately thought that Morgan Freeman or David Attenborough would be the perfect narrator for the Centuries.
http://the-toast.net/2013/08/08/slig...for-leibowitz/
This is the quote referenced, tell me who you hear reading it in voice-over.

...snip...
Someone British. Bill Nighy?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjim View Post
Actually, I thought Wishbone pulled it off pretty well....
Ah, yes. When I want to see a really good adaptation of my favorite literature, I like to see it performed with a Jack Russell terrier in the lead role. I still fondly recall Wishbone in A Man for All Seasons.

His rendition of Dysart in Equus was technically good, but I kept being afraid that the horses would step on him.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 AM

Kem Nunns "surf noir"...Tapping the Source, Dogs of Winter....they tried before and it ended up as Point Break although he wasn't directly involved.
(he ended up writing John from Cincinnati, which i guess was horrible. He also wrote screenplays for Sons of Anarchy, which I wasn't interested in, but seemed to do well.)

another vote for William S. Gibsons first 3 books, quite visual.
And Stevensons Snow Crash etc....although IMHO his later stuff after Crytononimicon was so wordy and weird I had a hard time reading it and abandoned him....
Old 03-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Iain Banks' Culture novels turned into a series by an HBO or Starz with a large Sci-Fi budget would be my Number 1. Number 2 would be a stand-alone movie of The Algebraist.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:46 PM

Fevre Dream, by George RR Martin, could be a great movie.

I would also mention Ready Player One, by Ernie Cline. But it looks that one will be hitting the big screen in about a year.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:23 PM

Two of my favorite Stephen King novels have not been made into movies yet- The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Gerald's Game.

His books don't always translate well onto film, and since both of these basically center around a single character, not really sure how they would stack up. Another is his short story Survivor Type, but again, revolves around a single character. And it's quite possible that what you can conjure up in your mind for these 3 are way worse than anything they could film...
Old 03-21-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapSett View Post
Two of my favorite Stephen King novels have not been made into movies yet- The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Gerald's Game.

His books don't always translate well onto film, and since both of these basically center around a single character, not really sure how they would stack up. Another is his short story Survivor Type, but again, revolves around a single character. And it's quite possible that what you can conjure up in your mind for these 3 are way worse than anything they could film...

For my money, I'm betting that The Eyes of the Dragon would make a great flick.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Hamsandwich View Post
For my money, I'm betting that The Eyes of the Dragon would make a great flick.
Totally agree with the above.

I've always thought Shantaram would make a great movie.
But has anyone other than me even read that book?
Old 03-21-2017, 02:34 PM

Waverly. It's big-screen gold and no one is jumping for it. Not after Braveheart. Not after Fifty Shades of Plaid. Why not? You get to draw and quarter the hero at the end. C'mon, people.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I wish to ghod someone would do Riverworld right, just once.