Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Biggirl Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 17,872
Your favorite show nobody but you remembers.

When Fox first came out with their TV channel I watched and liked their sit-coms. Even before Herman's Head, which is remember by many, there was Duet and its spin-off Open House. Duet was about a newlywed couple and Open House was about a real estate brokerage that starred Alison LaPlaca (why isn't she more famous?) being bitchy and a young Ellen DeGeneres before she came out, chasing men.

So many shows just disappear from HGTV and I really miss the DIY, home decor tips, designing on a budget type shows that they used to do. But there was one show back then that was just. . . strange at the time. Living with Ed-- a reality TV show starring crazy environmentalist Ed Begely, Jr and his put-upon wife. He rode a stationary bike to either make coffee or turn on the computer and hung out with a guy who rigged his car to run on waste restaurant grease. Bill Nye showed up every now and again. Jackson Brown showed up too.

Do you fondly remember short-lived TV shows on one has ever heard of?
  #2  
Old 04-07-2017, 03:38 PM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,208
SEARCH:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_(TV_series)
  #3  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Biggirl Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 17,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Are you saying you remember a TV show called Search that has no wiki or are you suggesting I search wiki for TV shows?
  #4  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Chefguy Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 38,091
Ten Speed & Brown Shoe
  #5  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:17 PM
GargoyleWB GargoyleWB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Somewhere cold 'n squishy
Posts: 5,162
BJ and The Bear was my favorite show as a little kid. I can't remember much about it and am curious about going back and watching a couple of episodes. All I remember is a chimp, and a guaranteed big rig crash in every episode. To a 6 year-old boy, nothing else is really necessary for quality TV.
  #6  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Just Asking Questions Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I sure remember it well. Wish the pilot movie was available! Availble on DVD - haven't made it through the series yet.

Other ones I fondly remember that are at least also available on DVD or iTunes:

Bearcats! (exclamation point in title)
Raines (another Jeff Goldblum detective show)
Logan's Run
The Invisible Man (David McCallum)
Barbary Coast (William Shatner)

Not available on DVD or anywhere I can find
Q.E.D (Sam Waterston as a turn of the century genius inventer)
Strange Luck
Memphis Beat

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 04-07-2017 at 04:22 PM.
  #7  
Old 04-07-2017, 05:35 PM
PastTense PastTense is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Are you saying you remember a TV show called Search that has no wiki or are you suggesting I search wiki for TV shows?
Straight Dope has a problem with parentheses ")" in URLs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_(TV_series))

Last edited by PastTense; 04-07-2017 at 05:38 PM.
  #8  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Just Asking Questions Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
On DVD including the pilot film (Probe).

In other ambiguous, overused one-word titles, I was fond of Chase, one of the "elite cop squad" shows of the 70s. I think it is lost forever. I know I'd buy it if it came out.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 04-07-2017 at 04:07 PM.
  #9  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:13 PM
Qadgop the Mercotan Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 25,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Hey, I remember that one!

Originally called Probe!.
  #10  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Qadgop the Mercotan Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 25,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Hey, I remember that one!

Originally called Probe!.

My contribution: The Good Guys
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Go...1968_TV_series)

Bob Denver, Joyce Van Patten, how could it fail?

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 04-07-2017 at 06:15 PM.
  #11  
Old 04-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Typo Negative Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 16,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Hey, I remember that one!

Originally called Probe!.

My contribution: The Good Guys
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Go...1968_TV_series)

Bob Denver, Joyce Van Patten, how could it fail?
And we had The Good Guys from 2010

It was great fun and deserved a chance. It didn't get it.

And I second Raines. It deserved a shot also.
  #12  
Old 04-07-2017, 03:42 PM
Sefton Sefton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Stalag 17
Posts: 1,189
As a kid, I developed the biggest crush on Ann Jillian from Jennifer Slept Here.

I also appreciated Courtney Cox in Misfits of Science.

Does anyone else remember these shows?
  #13  
Old 04-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Dendarii Dame Dendarii Dame is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefton View Post
As a kid, I developed the biggest crush on Ann Jillian from Jennifer Slept Here.

I also appreciated Courtney Cox in Misfits of Science.

Does anyone else remember these shows?
I watched Misfits of Science all the time. I was a "Johnny B." fan. He had powers kind of like the Flash.
  #14  
Old 04-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Quimby Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,023
One that I liked that has fallen down the Memory Hole was a show on Showtime called Leap Years. The premise was that it was the story of a group of friends at three different periods of their lives: just after college which was a few years in the past, the present (which would have been the early 2000s I guess) and then a few years in the future. It was entertaining and had good performances. It also had a puzzle box aspect since you saw the future but had no idea how they got there.

Last edited by Quimby; 04-07-2017 at 03:50 PM.
  #15  
Old 04-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Darren Garrison Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefton View Post
As a kid, I developed the biggest crush on Ann Jillian from Jennifer Slept Here.

I also appreciated Courtney Cox in Misfits of Science.

Does anyone else remember these shows?
Remember both of them. Have all of the episodes of MoS as avi files of old VHS transfers somewhere.
  #16  
Old 04-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Dendarii Dame Dendarii Dame is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,979
Yes. It was sometime around 1975-1976, and called Spirit of '76, or The Spirit of '76. I haven't been able to find any record of it. A man with a guitar (he was white, and I think had a brown beard) sat in a room and told stories and sang songs about the American Revolution. Occasionally there would be spots that were slightly animated (basically just a few paintings) and he would narrate these. One episode was about women during this time. I can still sing the theme song. "You know the high road to freedom was a hard road to travel/Plenty of times we wound up in a fix..." I even tried to find someone on this board who remembered it, without any luck. I didn't think it was local, but I grew up in central New Jersey and watched New York shows, if that helps.
  #17  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:16 PM
Shoeless Shoeless is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Sunflower State
Posts: 5,409
There was a series that was on for one summer several years ago called "Johnny Bago". It was about a guy who is on the run from the mob, driving a stolen borrowed Winnebago around the country. Along with the mob, he is also pursued by his ex-wife who is also his parole officer.
  #18  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:26 PM
Biggirl Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 17,872
Hey, I remember BJ and The Bear and Ten Speed and Brown Shoe. I didn't watch them but I remember them.
  #19  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:27 PM
bibliophage bibliophage is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Maine
Posts: 10,157
James at 15 (later renamed James at 16). As near as I can remember, it was about a sensitive teenage boy trying to fit in at a new school and city following his parents' divorce. It was controversial because the title character lost his virginity at the age of 16. I remember liking the show at the time, but I was pretty young when it aired. I don't remember much more about it. As far as I know it has never been released on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray or any streaming service.

Then there are a few that most Americans wouldn't recognize only because they were produced in foreign countries. The first two seasons of the Canadian crime drama Durham County were some of the best TV I've seen. The Israeli drama Prisoners of War (originally Hatufim in Hebrew) was the basis of Homeland. As much as I liked the first few seasons of Homeland, the original was even better.
  #20  
Old 04-07-2017, 05:31 PM
Guest-starring: Id! Guest-starring: Id! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophage View Post
James at 15 (later renamed James at 16). As near as I can remember, it was about a sensitive teenage boy trying to fit in at a new school and city following his parents' divorce. It was controversial because the title character lost his virginity at the age of 16. I remember liking the show at the time, but I was pretty young when it aired. I don't remember much more about it. As far as I know it has never been released on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray or any streaming service.
I remember the loss-of-virginity episode where James's eccentric roue uncle sets him up with a (of course) hot Swedish blonde.
Still remember the chucklehead theme song - a bunch of ham-fisted mullet-heads going "Whoh, whoh, whoh, whoh, whoh, whoh, James".
(And then the beginning of an SNL show with Don Pardoe announcing "'James at 75' cannot be seen at this time so we can bring you the following broadcast.")

A couple PBS shows from the late 70's - "Inside Tennis" and "We Interrupt This Week". I am the last remaining person on earth who still remembers those.

Micheal Moore's "TV Nation".

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I've mentioned it before, but the obscure Nanny and the Professor from 1970 is little known and a nice little show I loved as a kid.

I liked this show, great cast too.
featuring another flattenable theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_dgMSnacvA
  #21  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Acsenray Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 32,822
Grandpa Goes to Washington - with Jack Albertson and Larry Linville

House Calls - with Lynn Redgrave and Wayne Rogers

Tenspeed and Brown Shoe - with Jeff Goldblum and Ben Vereen

Cavemen - with Nick Kroll and Julie White

Grosse Pointe - with a bunch of people including Nat Faxon


My Secret Identity - with Jerry O'Connell

Quark - with Richard Benjamin and Conrad Janis

Riptide - with Thom Bray, Joe Penny, and Perry King

Anything But Love - with Jamie Lee Curtis and Richard Lewis

FM - with Robert Hays and Patricia Richardson
  #22  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:34 PM
gigi gigi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Flatlander in NH
Posts: 24,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post

So many shows just disappear from HGTV and I really miss the DIY, home decor tips, designing on a budget type shows that they used to do.
I miss Design On A Dime! And that Christopher Lowell show.

There was one sitcom I liked with Pamela Reed -- looking at IDMB, it must have been Grand. {hey, that sounds like an expression}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl
Are you saying you remember a TV show called Search that has no wiki or are you suggesting I search wiki for TV shows?
I think he's saying throw that final parenthesis inside the URL.
  #23  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Biggirl Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 17,872
I loved James at 15 and 16. One scene really stood out to me. He moves to Boston from a small town and had to ride the subway. He stares dumbfounded at the map totally confused by it. It contained 4 subway lines, two going east-west and two going north-south. They made a hashtag pattern. There was absolutely nothing complicated about it. But it was filmed in such a way to make look scary. Fast zooms in and out, quick cuts to the the map corners, then James slack-jawed wonder.

The weird thing is, I remember loving the show and crushing on James but I do not remember anything specific about it except for that one subway scene.
  #24  
Old 04-07-2017, 05:00 PM
What Exit? What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 27,096
I've mentioned it before, but the obscure Nanny and the Professor from 1970 is little known and a nice little show I loved as a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I liked this show, great cast too.
  #25  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:10 PM
Blank Slate Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,961
The Feather and Father Gang. I think my wee self had a crush on Stephanie Powers.
  #26  
Old 04-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Ms Boods Ms Boods is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I've mentioned it before, but the obscure Nanny and the Professor from 1970 is little known and a nice little show I loved as a kid.

I liked this show, great cast too.
I was quite fond of that as a tiny Boods. That and Room 222. I was about 6 when it aired, and thought high school kids must be so cool. It's one of the reasons I wanted to be a teacher when I grew up.

A bonkers show that had me and my 7th grade friends enthralled was the Dracula segment of 1978/79 show called Cliffhangers.

Last edited by Ms Boods; 04-09-2017 at 11:18 AM.
  #27  
Old 04-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Infovore Infovore is offline
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Somewhere fictional
Posts: 10,737
Dweebs - an early proto-version of Big Bang Theory starring Peter Scolari as a Bill Gates-type socially awkward software millionaire running a software company with his nerdy friends. They hire a pretty, socially adept receptionist when they move the business out of the garage. Only a few episodes, but funny.

Pearl - Malcolm McDowell as an arrogant English professor, and Rhea Perlman as a working-class woman going back to college. The chemistry between them was fun.

Cupid - No, not that one. The original, with Jeremy Piven. Smart writing, good stories. Didn't last long.

Swamp Thing - USA series. It was terrible, but I loved it.

I second Anything But Love.
  #28  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Tim R. Mortiss Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 6,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
.......Pearl - Malcolm McDowell as an arrogant English professor, and Rhea Perlman as a working-class woman going back to college. The chemistry between them was fun......
I think that was based on the Michael Caine/Julie Walters movie, "Educating Rita."

Search and Probe; I never could remember which was the movie and which was the series. Just like I now have trouble with Firefly vs. Serenity.

My contribution: a little-remembered Sherwood Schwartz show called It's About Time, about two astronauts stuck in the caveman era.
  #29  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:34 PM
nearwildheaven nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,832
When "Lost" was at the height of its popularity, ABC aired a one-season series called "Invasion" that was very good. I seem to have been the only person who watched it.
  #30  
Old 04-08-2017, 12:28 AM
stillownedbysetters stillownedbysetters is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
When "Lost" was at the height of its popularity, ABC aired a one-season series called "Invasion" that was very good. I seem to have been the only person who watched it.
Make that two of us who watched it. I also liked Threshold that premiered that same year. I was sorry when they pulled it after just a few episodes because there were complaints that it was too dark and violent for family viewing. And I never understood why Invasion only lasted a year.
  #31  
Old 04-08-2017, 03:48 PM
nearwildheaven nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillownedbysetters View Post
Make that two of us who watched it. I also liked Threshold that premiered that same year. I was sorry when they pulled it after just a few episodes because there were complaints that it was too dark and violent for family viewing. And I never understood why Invasion only lasted a year.
The last episode had a terrific cliffhanger, too.

I heard that at least one of the main actors got a deal s/he couldn't refuse, and they couldn't find a way to write them out of the show and still have it make sense.
  #32  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:37 PM
burpo the wonder mutt burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 19,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I think that was based on the Michael Caine/Julie Walters movie, "Educating Rita."

Search and Probe; I never could remember which was the movie and which was the series. Just like I now have trouble with Firefly vs. Serenity.

My contribution: a little-remembered Sherwood Schwartz show called It's About Time, about two astronauts stuck in the caveman era.
It's about time, it's about space
It's about time I slapped your face *POW*
"Sister Marie! burpo slapped me!"
  #33  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:45 PM
Tim R. Mortiss Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 6,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
It's about time, it's about space
It's about time I slapped your face *POW*
"Sister Marie! burpo slapped me!"
Yeah, I can't think about that show without hearing that little ditty in my head, too!
  #34  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:00 PM
Darren Garrison Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4,329
Old (to me) SF shows include Otherworld, Earth 2, Something is Out There, and Mann and Machine. (Manimal and Automan have enough of a "wow, this was bad" notoriousness to be concidered "nobody but me remembers.) A western I used to enjoy was Young Riders, which is actually airing now on GetTV.

Speaking of BJ and the Bear, there was the spin-off The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo. And The Dukes of Hazzard had the spin-off Enos.
  #35  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:10 PM
antechinus antechinus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,258
Blakes 7 a British version of Star Trek with some politics thrown in. Loved it as a kid.

Benson and Bosom Buddies were on about the same time. Bad USA shows but great fodder for a 12 year old.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #36  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:24 PM
burpo the wonder mutt burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 19,188
I've mentioned it before: Covington Cross; the first episode was a hoot.

I remember Bearcats! well; had a model car kit of a Stutz Bearcat.
  #37  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Acsenray Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 32,822
As a child I loved the Saturday morning live shows "Ghost Busters"and "Space Nuts"
  #38  
Old 04-11-2017, 01:17 PM
control-z control-z is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 12,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
As a child I loved the Saturday morning live shows "Ghost Busters"and "Space Nuts"
I remembered the live action "Ghost Busters" but none of my friends did. Now the Internet has vindicated me. There were only 15 episodes apparently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_Busters
  #39  
Old 04-11-2017, 01:27 PM
Intergalactic Gladiator Intergalactic Gladiator is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
I remembered the live action "Ghost Busters" but none of my friends did. Now the Internet has vindicated me. There were only 15 episodes apparently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_Busters
Filmation did a cartoon version of this show after the Ghostbusters movie came out. So there was a Ghostbusters show and a Real Ghostbusters show featuring the movie characters.
  #40  
Old 04-11-2017, 01:29 PM
Biggirl Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 17,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Filmation did a cartoon version of this show after the Ghostbusters movie came out. So there was a Ghostbusters show and a Real Ghostbusters show featuring the movie characters.
One of them was your run-of-the-mill animated show and one was really good. But I don't remember which was which.
  #41  
Old 04-11-2017, 06:11 PM
CaptMurdock CaptMurdock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Evildrome Boozerama
Posts: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
I remembered the live action "Ghost Busters" but none of my friends did. Now the Internet has vindicated me. There were only 15 episodes apparently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_Busters
I knew the guy who played the gorilla, Tracy. He got the job because he could provide his own gorilla suit.
  #42  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:52 PM
antechinus antechinus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Hey, I remember that one!

Originally called Probe!.

My contribution: The Good Guys
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Go...1968_TV_series)

Bob Denver, Joyce Van Patten, how could it fail?


Reminded of Dusty's Trail. It didn't last long iirc. Showed me how to make soap out of fat and ashes.
  #43  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Jack Batty Jack Batty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Astral Plane.
Posts: 14,229
The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Hour.

Saturday morning watching three stoner brothers and an emu-puppet. I think I was nine or ten when that was on. It obviously guided my worldview to this day.
  #44  
Old 04-07-2017, 07:09 PM
Dendarii Dame Dendarii Dame is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Hour.

Saturday morning watching three stoner brothers and an emu-puppet. I think I was nine or ten when that was on. It obviously guided my worldview to this day.
Do I recall correctly that this is the show that had "Space Cadet Salute!" with two correct salutes and one brother hitting himself too hard?
  #45  
Old 04-07-2017, 07:35 PM
RivkahChaya RivkahChaya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,602
There was a show called Cafe Americain in the early 90s with Valerie Bertinelli as an American divorcee named Holly who takes a vacation to Paris, and decides to stay there, so she gets a job in a place called "Cafe Americain." I suspect it was inspired by the play and later movie Shirley Valentine, but I have no proof.

I loved it, but I'd been to Paris, and there were lots of references to European people and places that were part of its humor-- it was a very funny show. It also occasionally had subtitles when people were speaking something other than English, and Americans don't like subtitles (or, according to some movie patrons whose money I gladly returned they "like, can't get into subtitles.")

I think that's why the show failed. As far as I know, it's only one of two attempts the US has ever made to set a show in a non-English speaking country, with the exceptions of shows on military bases, where everyone spoke English, and the other show was another show I liked that didn't last past the first season, called Outsourced, which was set in India, which yes, is technically English-speaking, and all the characters on it spoke English, so, no subtitles.

After being a reading, texting world for a long time, the country finally accepted a subtitled show when Switched at Birth managed 4 or 5 seasons on ABCFamily-- but then, if Cafe Americain had been a cable show, not a network show, maybe it would have been successful.
  #46  
Old 04-07-2017, 07:36 PM
RivkahChaya RivkahChaya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Was just thinking recently that nobody remembers Family.
I remember it. I didn't care for it, but I remember it.
  #47  
Old 04-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Delainey Delainey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
There was a show called Cafe Americain in the early 90s with Valerie Bertinelli as an American divorcee named Holly who takes a vacation to Paris, and decides to stay there, so she gets a job in a place called "Cafe Americain." I suspect it was inspired by the play and later movie Shirley Valentine, but I have no proof.

I loved it, but I'd been to Paris, and there were lots of references to European people and places that were part of its humor-- it was a very funny show. It also occasionally had subtitles when people were speaking something other than English, and Americans don't like subtitles (or, according to some movie patrons whose money I gladly returned they "like, can't get into subtitles.")

I think that's why the show failed. As far as I know, it's only one of two attempts the US has ever made to set a show in a non-English speaking country, with the exceptions of shows on military bases, where everyone spoke English, and the other show was another show I liked that didn't last past the first season, called Outsourced, which was set in India, which yes, is technically English-speaking, and all the characters on it spoke English, so, no subtitles.
There was a show I vaguely remember watching as a little kid, "To Rome with Love." A widowed father moved his young family to Rome in order to take a teaching position. Just looked it up - it starred John Forsythe. Only lasted a few seasons.
  #48  
Old 04-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Darren Garrison Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delainey View Post
There was a show I vaguely remember watching as a little kid, "To Rome with Love."
And that title brings to mind Love, Sydney. (It was a very early occurrence of a show with an "out" gay main character, but I didn't really notice or even see the big deal about it when I was a kid, and don't really remember much more about the show than the theme song.)
  #49  
Old 04-07-2017, 07:18 PM
burpo the wonder mutt burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 19,188
Two similar ones:

Mr. Terrific

Captain Nice


(I wonder what might be accomplished in this world if we could banish old TV theme songs from our noggins?)
  #50  
Old 04-07-2017, 07:28 PM
psychobunny psychobunny is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,421
I used to like Nanny and the Professor.
Also liked Anything but Love.
Was just thinking recently that nobody remembers Family.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017