Old 03-19-2009, 04:56 PM

My sister just found four double-yolked eggs out of a dozen.

At LEAST four.

One carton of a dozen eggs. She cracked one egg, saw it was double yolked. Shrugging, she moved onto the next one, which was also double-yolked. And so it went on to the fourth. At that point, feeling somewhat nervous and reasoning that eggs are cheap, she dumped them.

Anybody have an explanation?

"I'm not emotional. I'm happy. All my enemies are in the same place."
Advertisements  
Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Why did she throw them out? There's nothing wrong with double-yoked eggs! I bet some folks would pay extra.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS View Post
Why did she throw them out? There's nothing wrong with double-yoked eggs! I bet some folks would pay extra.
:: shrugging ::

She didn't decide to toss them till she got to four in a row.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Do older chickens have a tendency to 'twin'? Were they marketed as extra large (or extra-extra large)? Cause double yolks would tend to be larger.

I'm also surprised that she threw them out. Are they bad luck or something? (Bad mind! Stop saying Zuul.)
Old 03-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I still don't understand why that made any difference, one, four, twelve, it's still eggs. FWIW it has nothing to do with anything wrong with the chicken. Sometimes either rather young hens or elderly ones will lay double-yolkers. I bet the eggs were from a real chicken farm, too, not a "factory farm." In a high-volume commercial enterprise they would have been rejected for no good reason other than standardization.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
Are they bad luck or something?
Maybe she doesn't like egg yolks?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:41 PM

My uncle just brought 18 eggs from his own chickens to my mom yesterday, and 2 of them were huge and probably doubles. There was another one that was so big it might have had 3, but she didn't crack into them yet, so I will find out later. We always thought it was kind of lucky to get double yolks or more.

I just peeled two hard boiled eggs today to make egg salad. It occurred to me that I have seen double yolks in raw eggs, but never when I have peeled a hard boiled one. Hmmm...maybe I just don't boil any really large ones. That would be interesting to find.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS View Post
Indeed. I've heard some egg producers separate out the double-yolkers for sale to those who prefer them; possibly the OP's sister got such a box by mistake. A shame she threw them out--it's always a shame to throw out good food. Double-yolk eggs are higher in fat, of course (and richer in taste), but if you need to avoid fat that badly, why eat eggs at all?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryobserver View Post
Indeed. I've heard some egg producers separate out the double-yolkers for sale to those who prefer them; possibly the OP's sister got such a box by mistake. A shame she threw them out--it's always a shame to throw out good food. Double-yolk eggs are higher in fat, of course (and richer in taste), but if you need to avoid fat that badly, why eat eggs at all?
I asked her via email. She explained that, apart from being mildly freaked out,she was separating the yolks from the whites anyway, as all she wanted was the latter, and given that it seemed likely that they would all be double-yolked decided that the recipe would come out wrong given the lesser volume of egg white in each egg.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:03 PM

The little market down the road from me seems to have a higher volume of double-yolked eggs than other places. I run across them pretty often. Since I sometimes count calories, I'm never sure how these count.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:04 PM

Satan!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:44 AM

I've had two double-yolked eggs in a row and I thought it was really cool. I have read that it's not uncommon to find double-yolked eggs in a carton of extra large eggs.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:38 AM

We raised chickens and having double yolks is not uncommon. Many of our eggs were double yolked and some of our eggs were too big to fit in the cartons.

Monavis
Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 AM

I have always wanted to get the double-yolk in the egg thing.

I'd probably alert the media if I did get it.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 AM

I like double yolks myself, but then I'm not much of an egg white guy.

I was at a restaurant once and got double yoked eggs and asked the guy how that happens?

He shrugged and said "I don't know kid, horny chickens I guess... "
Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 AM

I have bought a dozen extra-large eggs every week for the past three years* and have never gotten a double yolk. I feel left out.

Do some egg producers really separate them out? How can they tell it's a double yolk? Do they take an x-ray?

----
*Yeah it's a different dozen every week. I'm not that much of a sucker.

Last edited by sundog66; 03-20-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 AM

I never get double yolks.

But I am the king of getting bloody yolks . Nothing quite like a huge oozing bloody blob in your pancake batter to make cereal look better.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 AM

It's definitely an omen but it's hard to interpret. Consulting my sources, either your sister is going to have a fight with the octomom over sugar OR she's going to be four term mayor of Bristol VA on a CHANGE NOW! platform.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

My husband bought 18 double yolk eggs from a friend. They were huuuuge! He boiled a few, and they look really strange cut in half. They were also really yellow - fresh farm eggs. Yum!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
It's definitely an omen but it's hard to interpret. Consulting my sources, either your sister is going to have a fight with the octomom over sugar OR she's going to be four term mayor of Bristol VA on a CHANGE NOW! platform.
It really freaks me out that you came so close to guessing what city she lives in. I know I'm not supposed to be evil anymore, but I may have to send my last couple of flying monkeys out your way to make sure you don't pose a threat.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog66 View Post
I have bought a dozen extra-large eggs every week for the past three years* and have never gotten a double yolk. I feel left out.

Do some egg producers really separate them out? How can they tell it's a double yolk? Do they take an x-ray?
Try getting jumbo eggs.

The packers can tell the double-yolk eggs by holding them up to a bright light - it's called candling.

The producers might now, but they aren't talking. *cluck, cluck*

Last edited by Zyada; 03-20-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
It really freaks me out that you came so close to guessing what city she lives in. I know I'm not supposed to be evil anymore, but I may have to send my last couple of flying monkeys out your way to make sure you don't pose a threat.
I said "Bristol, VA" because I'm thinking about a road trip and was just looking at a map and thinking it'd be a good place to spend the night.

Last edited by Sampiro; 03-20-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
I said "Bristol, VA" because I'm thinking about a road trip and was just looking at a map and thinking it'd be a good place to spend the night.
You're only saying that because you're surrounded by winged monkeys carrying flame-throwers.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:12 PM
BANNED

One of the farm markets on the route to my parents' house sells cartons of double yolk eggs. When all our rather large family used to go to their house for holidays (before they moved to a too-small condo), part of my routine was to stop on the way down to buy a couple dozen. Several people (myself included) like yolks better than (or to the exclusion of) whites, so they were great for Sunday breakfast - twice as much of the good stuff! It was one of those small, special things that people always seemed to take a particular pleasure in. I haven't bought them for over a year, but they were indeed slightly more expensive (perhaps an extra fifty cents or so), and worth it.

/ side comment / My parents grew up on farms, and my father tells of at one point feeding their chickens some sort of harmless colorant in their food, so that when the eggs were collected their yolks were green instead of yellow. He reports that his mother was duly puzzled at breakfast time. / end side comment /