Old 07-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
He actually stood up by himself just a bit ago! . . .
I think that he's resting more comfortably now . . .
He was slurping that water down from the turkey baster . . .
He's out of his crate, and he did stand up.
These are all excellent signs! Go, Riley, go!

That's wonderful that he's drinking and eating. His back end probably is pretty weak. The doggie physical therapy sounds like a good idea. Use a bath towel and make a sling for his back end to help him up.

There is definite hope and we are all pulling for him.

:: skritchies ::
Advertisements  
Old 07-09-2009, 05:53 PM

good news. little bit by little bit...
Old 07-09-2009, 06:18 PM

I just hope this isn't some false recovery illusion that we're under. I have helped him to his four feet a few times now and he can only stand on his own for a moment before he loses his balance.

Just a moment ago though, I supported his hind legs to help him stand and he tried to do the doggie "shake" like dogs do, and he promptly shook free of my grip and toppled back over.

I guess that's a good thing.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:25 PM

Oooh, I'm hoping for the best. Get better, Riley, we're all pulling for you.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

:: crossing my fingers for Riley::
Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I hope he keeps improving.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:01 PM

Get what rest you can. You all need each other right now.

Thank you for doing such a good job of holding up your end of the ancient deal we've made with dogs.

Riley, good boy!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:02 AM

Looked in on him at 5:00am, as he was making a racket in our spare bedroom downstairs. He was trying to stand again, but he didn't succeed.

We are going to work with him some more tonight, helping him use his back legs and kind of "walk them" for him.

I can't do this for him forever.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

You might try a towel under his back end, supporting him as he walks and gains strength. Use the towel as a sling in front of his back legs and let him propel himself with his front legs. At least he's trying. Considering a day ago he couldn't lift his head, I'd say this is progress.

StG
Old 07-10-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
You might try a towel under his back end, supporting him as he walks and gains strength. Use the towel as a sling in front of his back legs and let him propel himself with his front legs. At least he's trying. Considering a day ago he couldn't lift his head, I'd say this is progress.

StG
We'll try that tonight. Thanks for the suggestion. He's slightly well-endowed, do I just roll up the towel and put it just ahead of his, ah...junk? On his belly, as it were?
Old 07-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

It shouldn't matter if you compress his junk - think of bicyclists and their shorts.

Here's a short video showing a dog in a more official sling, but it'll help you see what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvSCJM-d2qE
Old 07-10-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
It shouldn't matter if you compress his junk - think of bicyclists and their shorts.

Here's a short video showing a dog in a more official sling, but it'll help you see what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvSCJM-d2qE
Thanks. If he can mentally come out of this, perhaps we're bound to a life of toting him around in a sling. How does a male dog pee in such a thing? Is there a hole in it for his penis?
Old 07-10-2009, 05:55 PM

i think if he can't use his back legs well you can get one of those nifty cart things. he would be in a harness and the wheels would do the work of the back legs.

on the drew carey show one of the dogs had one.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

If this is permenant, this is a dog wheelchair. Here. Dogs seem to be able to run and play in them. I don't know about elimination, though.

StG
Old 07-10-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
If this is permenant, this is a dog wheelchair. Here. Dogs seem to be able to run and play in them. I don't know about elimination, though.

StG
Well, I am happy to say that we brought him upstairs from the spare bedroom (he was ah, kinda covered in his own mess, so lots of anti-bacterial soap and a couple rolls of paper towels later...) and he responded quite well (and more lucidly) to getting some food and water.

I gave him the flashlight test and he followed the light with his head and eyes, so I know he isn't at least totally blind. So that's good.

Then, he got up on his own several times. Granted, he would wind up bashing into the wall after taking 4 or 5 steps, or he would walk over to the tiled area by the front door where no dog can gain purchase and fall down. I would just keep dragging him gently back into the middle of the living room.

But just now he got up and meandered a good 15 or so steps into our kitchen, where again, he got himself into a corner and kinda toppled over. This is all without the help of a sling or anything.

It's encouraging. He is still laying there and appears tired from his efforts. Hopefully this progression will continue! Yay for Riley! Score one for the good guys!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:57 PM

Go Riley! Good dog!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
Go Riley! Good dog!
Does one pill make you smaller?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I'm glad this thread has not ended up like I thought it would when I opened it and that Riley is still around. Here's hoping he makes it. It's bad enough to have to give an old dog his "last ride" without it happening to a young one.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:26 PM

That's not where the name came from, actually, but har har har.

I hope Riley continues improving. It sounds like he's a fighter.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Yay! Go Riley!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Oh, what a good, sweet boy! You've got a tough guy on your hands.

This is all such heartwarming news. I notice you haven't mentioned any seizing either. You might try putting down some old rugs or towels or something on the slippery floors to help him keep his balance. We did that for our old Scout when she had to stay in the tiled kitchen in case of accident.

We've used baby wipes for pets who were temporarily incontinent.

Will you be home over the weekend to be with him? That would probably give him (and you) a big boost.

GO RILEY GO!!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 PM

Thanks again, all. He actually does seem to be improving. It's a bit concerning that he gets so tired from what for him used to be so little effort. I suppose this is a longer road to recovery than I thought, if in fact he does recover. Signs are positive.

I feel bad, having posted this thread with such surety that he was a goner, and now here we are, all rooting on the sidelines. It just really didn't look good for him at the time. It still may go the other way.

He's struggling, but improving. He walked from the living room into the kitchen again and fell over by the kitchen garbage can...which figures, since he used to flip up the lid on the can with his nose and root through it looking for goodies!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Bet you never thought you'd be happy about him trying to get into the garbage . . .
Old 07-10-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett67 View Post
Bet you never thought you'd be happy about him trying to get into the garbage . . .
Ha, yeah.

The wife and I just used a four-corner makeshift sling from a comforter and hauled him back into the spare bedroom.

We are reluctant to put him in his crate, since he can't practice regaining his feet, but he also cannot in his condition stay up here with us asleep (cable/tv/playstation wires, falling down the stairs...) either.

So, after scrubbing his room clean earlier today, we carried him back into it to stay for the night. If he can get up, he can walk in there. But it is messy with his incontinence.

Go Riley, before I fashion a diaper for you!.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 PM

Bert, and all the others, are right here!

Bill
Old 07-11-2009, 01:00 AM

Hugs for Riley! Hang in there, big guy!
Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

It sounds like he's recovering wonderfully. I'm so glad.

StG
Old 07-11-2009, 09:10 AM

When I die, I want to come back as your dog.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Ujest View Post
When I die, I want to come back as your dog.
I think I may have to consider changing my career to nursing...
Old 07-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

How's Riley doing tonight? No more seizures, I hope.

StG
Old 07-12-2009, 03:05 PM

I'm hoping that no news here is good news!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:26 PM

Me too. You guys are awesome. I think of all the people who dump their dogs because they stop being cute or because they just can't be bothered, and you guys really make up for all that.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:30 PM

Riley hasn't had any more seizures that we have seen. He was kept out of the spare bedroom last night (and boy, was there poop tracked ALL OVER to clean up in there!) and allowed to roam the downstairs.

I worry about him. He's able to walk (quite clumsily) on his own, and can eat and drink food pretty normally, but I just don't think he's all there anymore.

He'll walk himself into a corner and can't figure out a way to back out. I just helped him get out of a pinch where he had wedged his head in between the downstairs couch and the wall. There was room for him to extricate himself if he could have remembered to just back up. But he didn't, so he just stood there. I have no idea how long he'd been like that until I pulled him out of it.

He also doesn't seem to recognize his name. If you whistle or clap he will look in your direction, but it's as if he doesn't "see" you, if you know what I mean.

Now for today's big adventure: under the auspices that we are trying to get Riley to "re-learn" everything, since he seemed to be getting around downstairs OK I decided to take him outside to see if he'd enjoy it, and to possibly go potty where he's supposed to.

Things were OK at first, he was wandering around (I had put his invisible fence collar back on him for this), seemed to like being outside and smelling everything...until he made his way into the woods behind our house. I was sitting on the back porch watching him and my fault, I let him get about 100' away from me. He was right at the edge of our yard, so I was calling him to get him to come back in my direction to take him back inside.

He instead walked right onto the invisible fence border and started getting zapped. Instead of retreating from the border like he's supposed to do, he just stood there, taking it. So I immediately ran up my hill into the garage to turn off the electric fence, and by the time I got back down to where he was he'd wandered into the woods and fallen down the hill and became trapped in the creekbed between two rocks.

Unable to get him out even with the help of my wife (it's all uphill, muddy and Riley wasn't cooperating), I ended up calling animal control and they actually came and helped me. Normally they wouldn't come in a situation like this they told me, but they took pity on me and this huge dude (whom reeked of beer, but hey...it's a Sunday and he wasn't driving the vehicle!) and this very nice lady came.

Huge dude looks over the situation, determines Riley is friendly, and just picks him up and staggers up the hill with him, with me pushing his back to give him leverage.

Anyway, we talked for awhile, I hosed Riley off and towelled him dry, got him back into the house, and now here we are.

I think that I have made the decision in my mind that if there isn't some dramatic improvement (like him being able to go outside and go to the bathroom) in the next couple days, he is going to be taking that last ride out to the vet.

We cannot live our lives centered around caring for an incontinent, mostly invalid dog.

I hope it isn't true, but on the bright side, the animal control people told me that they have a lot of Boxers in the pound that need adoption...if it comes to that.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Well, he's made enormous progress already. I know he isn't where you want to be, but hopefully he'll continue to improve rapidly.Whatever decision you make, you've dome more than most people would.

StG
Old 07-12-2009, 05:48 PM

...just blew off telephone bill collector...

I knew it was a 'boxer', mines a Sharpy (Shar-pei) mix/ boxer-same brown coat,
his attributes are many but he has a few bad habits.
Did you hear Michael Jackson memorial had many empty...
...errr sorry about that...
glad to hear you have scenic homestead, Gotta be? TX? VA?
Old 07-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

You don't make a lot of sense, smee.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee goan View Post
I knew it was a 'boxer', mines a Sharpy (Shar-pei) mix/ boxer-same brown coat,
his attributes are many but he has a few bad habits.
Did you hear Michael Jackson memorial had many empty...
...errr sorry about that...
glad to hear you have scenic homestead, Gotta be? TX? VA?
I don't understand anything you've posted in this thread either. What place exactly does a humorous reference to Michael Jackson have to do in this thread?

Normally, I like oddball attempts at humor, as I believe laughter is the single most unifying force for humanity in order to not take itself too seriously, and to help to understand or somehow come to grips with sad realities, but right now...I ain't feeling it.

Last edited by FoieGrasIsEvil; 07-12-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Well, he's made enormous progress already. I know he isn't where you want to be, but hopefully he'll continue to improve rapidly.Whatever decision you make, you've dome more than most people would.

StG
Thanks. I know. I just can't help but wonder if we decide to say, put him down tomorrow, what kind of progress he might have made and that I end up regretting the decision to be his executioner.

But there's two things: we don't have the money to keep taking him to the vet for extensive stays and testing, and, we don't have unlimited patience for putting up with his issues, either.

I love this dog, but I have a career, a wife, kids, bills, etc to worry about like everyone else and I only have so much available time and resources to devote to a dog that may very well be brain damaged beyond my help.

It's this quandry that I find myself in that sucks.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

smee goan, this isn't a good thread for irrelevant remarks; pls. make an effort to stay on topic.

twickster, MPSIMS mod
Old 07-12-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
smee goan, this isn't a good thread for irrelevant remarks; pls. make an effort to stay on topic.

twickster, MPSIMS mod
Thank you. I am normally not sensitive about death or anything at all, but this particular issue has me tied in knots. Constantly.

I feel bad about what happened under my watch (the nine-hour seizure resulting in his current condition could have been prevented possibly if I had forced myself to put the dog in the trunk of my tiny Scion, put the boys into the backseat without their carseats which were in the van, etc...

I did call the vet in the hopes that someone would come and get him for me, but no luck, so I allowed this poor dog to have continuous seizures for almost nine hours before my wife got home from work that day and could take him to the animal hospital.

Anyway, this sucks.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I feel bad about what happened under my watch (the nine-hour seizure resulting in his current condition could have been prevented possibly if I had forced myself to put the dog in the trunk of my tiny Scion, put the boys into the backseat without their carseats which were in the van, etc...

I did call the vet in the hopes that someone would come and get him for me, but no luck
Don't beat yourself up. You did what you could, and it would not be reasonable to put your kids in danger to transport a sick dog. And since then you have done plenty for him. You are a Good Dog Owner.

And if worse comes to worst, yes, it'll suck, but again, sometimes even dog lovers do have to put human concerns over those of the animal. Years ago Mr. S had a dog that got heartworms (he couldn't afford the preventative back then, but all of our dogs get it religiously now). The treatment was more than he could afford, and success was likely to be low regardless. So with great regret and sadness he had her put down. Just about broke his heart.

A friend had a dog that was temperamental and snappish, but she kept it under control, put it away when visitors came, etc. But after she had a baby, it soon became clear that Dog and Baby would not mix. And since Dog would be pretty much unadoptable, she had it put down rather than stick a shelter with it.

It may well be that Riley has had enough brain damage to make him an unreasonable burden on any owner. And also that he wouldn't be happy to continue in that state. I hope and pray that he keeps getting better and returns to some semblance of his former self, but if that's not to be, then putting him down would be the kindest thing.

No matter the outcome, you've done your best.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 PM

FoieGrasIsEvil, my heart goes out, it really does. I hesitated to open this thread because I'm on that same precarious, watch 'em every minute roller coaster. My sweet mutt was diagnosed with auto-immune hemolytic anemia last week. Every day is an egg walk of doubt, worry, second guessing and very slim hope. I know just how draining it is and exactly how much it sucks.

So, from my doggie intensive care ward to yours, good thoughts, a few tears and some genuine commiseration.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeeoaddi View Post
FoieGrasIsEvil, my heart goes out, it really does. I hesitated to open this thread because I'm on that same precarious, watch 'em every minute roller coaster. My sweet mutt was diagnosed with auto-immune hemolytic anemia last week. Every day is an egg walk of doubt, worry, second guessing and very slim hope. I know just how draining it is and exactly how much it sucks.

So, from my doggie intensive care ward to yours, good thoughts, a few tears and some genuine commiseration.
Thank you, and good luck with yours.

This just makes me pissed off at God. Yea, I believe, so sue me.

Take MY brain, take MY life, don't inflict random problems on a helpless dog, you bastard of a God!

OK, I feel better now. OK, not really.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:35 AM

I don't know whether this would influence your decision or not, but when our dog had bad seizures (she had a phase of cluster seizures - many and often), she would take a few hours to snap back to the dog that we recognised. She would do exactly what you were talking about - wander around with a blank, confused, not-there look. She wouldn't recognise us, and wouldn't answer to her name (she is normally very on the ball and attentive). Luckily, she always came back, and once we got the seizures under control, it wasn't an issue.

All I am saying is that perhaps it might take longer for Riley to 'come back' mentally, because of how bad his seizures were. It might be worth giving him a bit more time to recover before deciding anything.

Either way, good luck with whatever you decide. You will know what's best. The amount of time and effort that you have put in already puts many, many dog owners to shame. Good on you.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:09 AM

FoieGrasIsEvil, I'm so sorry. You're in a really crappy situation. I know this probably doesn't help anything, but if you end up putting him down, please know that you have already gone above and beyond to help this wonderful animal. There is only so much you can do, and I know that if Riley doesn't make it, you'll provide an equally terrific home for another dog that might otherwise not have one. My heart goes out to you all.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But there's two things: we don't have the money to keep taking him to the vet for extensive stays and testing, and, we don't have unlimited patience for putting up with his issues, either.

I love this dog, but I have a career, a wife, kids, bills, etc to worry about like everyone else and I only have so much available time and resources to devote to a dog that may very well be brain damaged beyond my help.
It's okay. ((FoieGras))
Old 07-13-2009, 04:47 PM

Myself and my dogs on this side of the bridge are all pulling for Riley and your family.

My dogs on the other side have been advised to be on the lookout and give this fine fellow the best welcome any dog ever got should he need to cross over.

Either way, he'll be fine. He's in good hands, and paws, whatever the outcome.

You've done right by him and either when he recovers or when he passes, he'll thank you for it.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:17 PM

Still holding you and Riley tight within my heart, and I just want you to know (as someone who hast lost and buried his share of four-footed friends), that I agree with everyone here who has written that you have done everything possible for your friend (and unfortunately, some folks wouldn't even have bothered - just check with your local shelter).

We domesticated them. That makes us responsible for their care, and you have gone above and beyond the call.

If he could speak, Riley would tell you that too.

Thanks for caring about and for him!

Quasi

And PS? Being pissed at God is okay. If He can't take it, then He needs to give up the job!

Last edited by Quasimodem; 07-13-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:32 PM

it is a toughy, you want to give a young one a chance at being an old one. sometimes it just doesn't work out well.

i had a kitten i raised from 3 days old, we went to the vet's nearly daily, for sure weekly, her file was bigger than she was. finally when she was 6 months old we got a bit of a handle on her tummy troubles.

at 5 yrs old she got immune to the anti-bio she was taking, it took a bit to find something else that worked. a year later it stopped working. then she was having only 1 or 2 good days a week.

finally at 7 years old, she and i decided she had enough. her bad days were so bad, and her good days few and far between.

it was tough, but it was right.

you and riley will know what is right. you both have the sdmb at your backs, sending you strengh, healing wishes, and peace. hang in there guys.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:12 PM

Goddammit guys...

I am weeping. Thanks for the outreach of support. I feel so bad for this damn dog, he WASN'T EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE MY DOG!!

Yet...I love him and hate what has happened. We're going to give him a few more days.

The really, REALLY sad thing is that should we choose to euthanize him right now, we couldn't.

We have to wait until payday in order to afford the needle. That makes me so sad.