The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 AM

Who is the audience for the new Harry Potter film?

I know there are several folk on these boards who are eagerly awaiting this film. But seeing a review in the paper this a.m. I got to thinking exactly who is the audience for this movie? And perhaps related, who makes up today's audience for the HP books?

The first book came out when my kids were in grade/middle schools. I don't recall much about getting the first book, but I remember getting at least the next couple of the first day they came out. We would work out a schedule where the kids would devour the books in sequence, pass them to mom, and they would end up with me. 5 of us would go through the book in as little as 5-7 days. I thought the first 2-3 books were brilliant - the equals or near equals of any youth fiction I had read.

It wasn't too many years after that the first movie came out, and my kids were similarly psyched. Right about that time I recall getting less enthused about the franchise. I thought the first film quite weak, and the books seemed to be getting more and more bloated. But that's just me. I believe my kids - and to a lesser degree my wife - continued to anticipate and re-read the books, and rewatch the films. I lost interest, and basically skimmed the last couple of books. Couldn't even tell you the basic storyline of them. Folks said the next couple of films got better than the first, but the interest had waned for me.

So that's my family's experience with HP. My kids were pretty much THE target audience when the books came out. In some ways HP was a significant influence on their childhood. Now, I assume they will go to see the movie, but I get no impression that any of them are dying to see it as soon as possible.

What about you? Are you as interested in the franchise now as you were before? More? Less? Are young kids today being introduced to the series? Is there a new book series that is as popular with today's youth as HP was with mine?

Who is the target audience for this film? Young adults like my kids who were kids when the books came out? Older folks like their parents? Folks newly introduced to the series?
Advertisements  
Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 AM

I'm waaaaay old. I've never read the books, but I've watched the Harry Potter movie marathons on TV so many times I can recite the dialogue. I like the three most recent the most, and I think they are gorgeous to just look at. I'm looking forward to the Half Blood Prince and of course the last two scheduled for the next couple of years, but I don't know if I'll go see them in the movie theater. I like how the stories get darker as the actors grow older. Of course I'm still interested! Not only in how the series plays out, but having come this far, I have to see the progression until The End. My daughter is mildly interested, but she loves Alan Rickman and thinks Daniel Radcliffe is aging quite nicely!

(It's like Sue Grafton's alphabetical detective series of books. A is for Alibi, etc. Why would I stop reading them three-quarters of the way through? I look forward to reading all the rest and hope Sue stays healthy until she finishes Z is for ..whatever.)
Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Are young kids today being introduced to the series? Is there a new book series that is as popular with today's youth as HP was with mine?
Yes they are. Harry Potter is still a big favorite among all ages at the library. As for a new series to capture the youth's imagination, you've heard of The Twilight Saga right? They're more for teens, but they are a huge fucking deal. In some ways bigger than HP because the teens really get into the universe in a way little kids couldn't do with HP.

Quote:
Who is the target audience for this film? Young adults like my kids who were kids when the books came out? Older folks like their parents? Folks newly introduced to the series?
The movies are really designed for everyone. I'm 27 and I have peers who are thrilled to see them, I know older people at work really want to see them and I know younger kids who are thrilled the movie is finally coming.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

I’m 38, my kids are 17 and 12. We’ll go.

The seventeen-year-old is a big fan. She was just the right age to ride the HP wave of popularity when they came out, and she’s carried on since then.

I read the books and liked them fine, although I don’t really remember much about them and don’t have any urge to re-read. Like salinqmind says, the movies are pretty to look at anyway. Plus, Alan Rickman.

The twelve-year-old read the books, but mostly wants to go to the movies because we’re going.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:13 AM

I'm in no position to really know, but my wife and I will go see them. We're both in our 50s. My kids, who are in their 20s, won't bother, although my son will likely sit still for the DVD when it comes out.

Having read all the books, I know that Deathly Hallows is by far the best of the lot, and Half-Blood Prince is largely setup for that, so I'm in for the duration. I'm also pleased that DH is being split up; I just hope Warner doesn't come out with "Batman Continues to Annoy" that causes them to be set aside for future earnings. I am mortal, after all.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I starting reading the Potter books ca. 1999-2000, when I was about 31.

I'm 40 now and can't wait to see the new movie. Expecting to cry even harder at the end than I did in HP5. Hell, when I read the book and got to that scene, I cried for a solid 15 minutes completely inconsolably.

Knead
Otherwise a very manly man

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 07-14-2009 at 11:25 AM..
Old 07-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks all for the responses.
Does anyone know of a comparison of the box office for the various films in constant dollars?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

You can use this. These movies only go back to 2001, so I don't know how big a difference adjusting to 2009 dollars is going to make.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 07-14-2009 at 11:31 AM..
Old 07-14-2009, 12:58 PM

I don't have a cite offhand, but I've read various box office prognosticators who are predicting, based on presale numbers, that "Half Blood Prince" may have the biggest opening of all time (particularly given its stellar reviews - 98% "fresh" on RottenTomatoes at the moment). So there's definitely a big audience.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 PM

I started reading the books back in grade school, and read them feverishly all through high school and college (my sr. year of college was when book 7 came out).

I think that the audience of the movies were the audience that read the books when they were in grade/high school like me. I was about the same age as Harry every year I read the books. I slowly started getting older than he (book release lag and such), but we always stayed about the same age. When Harry was getting older and my angsty, so was I. When he was annoyed with which girl to like/talk to, so was I. When he was angry angry angry, so was I. When he had to commit his first murder....well I had done it about three times by then but, wait, nevermind.

It's the same with the movies. The actors all started about the same age as "real" Harry and co. when they first made the movies, and they grew up as The Crew did year by year. This makes it more real for the kids who grew up with harry in literature, and could watch harry grow up in film.

My honest age group for this movie: 20-25. This is about the age when the kids would have picked up the books when they, and Harry, were young; ended the books when they, and Harry, were old; and watched the movies when Dan and co., and Harry and co., were young; and then when Dan and co., and Harry and co, were old.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 PM

I've only found one of the films (#3) to be any good, but I'm interested in how the story ends but completely appalled at the prospect of wading through X-thousand pages, so the movies fit the bill well enough.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm 47. I just bought my tickets from Fandango. I'm excited to see it, but not excited at the run time! I won't get home until 3:30 AM.

For me it's a family affair. I'm going with my three kids ages 26 (son), 23 (daughter), and 19 (daughter). The 19 year old was just the right age to ride the wave, dress like Hermione Granger, the whole nine yards.

Speaking of Hermione, I have to say, that Emma Watson is becoming a beautiful young woman. And, no, I don't mean that in any sort of pervy way.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

I'm 53, and my wife and daughter (age 17) are off to see it on Saturday.

Much of the fun of the series, both of books and movies, is that we are all fans. And it is one of the things we have been able to share, pretty much as equals, ever since we started being fans. I waited in line at midnight to buy the books (and the CDs, as narrated by the incomparable Jim Dale) and we read the books out loud to each other for our Sunday night family time. And it was really, really cool, because all of us were caught up in the same spirit of excitement.

Part of the genius of the series is that eleven year olds can get hooked by the first book, and grow up with Harry. As the series continued, it dealt with more and more 'adult' themes - not in the sense that they're dirty, but dealing with themes like adolescence and death and disappointment and dating and responsibility and first love and self-sacrificial love.

And we can go to the movies, and then analyze them - what worked, what didn't, how was it different from the book, why might it have been. Stuff like that.

I think Sir T-Cups is right - it would be difficult to start out with The Half Blood Prince as your first HP movie. So the target demographic is everyone who saw The Sorcerer's Stone.

I can't wait.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 07-14-2009, 07:00 PM

I'm watching Order of the Phoenix right now on HBO. They're flying over the Thames at night, and for the 100th time, I get a little thrill. And Voldemort, glimpsed in the train station? Actually made me afraid to go down in the basement alone for a while. Yeah, I'm a Harry Potter fan!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 PM

My girlfriend is a HUGE Harry Potter nut. She's been to two Harry Potter conventions that I know of. She's read all the books multiple times and has seen the movies multiple times and we're going to see it on Thursday. We would have seen it midnight on release day, but she works the early shift (read: 9AM) and likes her sleep.

She's 26.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

My wife and her colleague saw the movie last Thursday as part of fundraiser for her school. They are around 40. They both read the books as they came out. Our next door neighbor who is about 75 read the books and likes the movies.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:29 PM

I'm 26 now... I was older than the target demographic when the books came out. I must admit, I didn't even see the first few movies in the theaters. But I saw them on VHS/DVD and joined the franchise a little late. Now I'm hooked. I love the series and can't wait until they're all out.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:37 PM
BANNED

Considering every person I see reading a Harry Potter book is a women, in her late 20s to early 30 and Daniel Radcliffe is now over 18 and looking pretty good... Well you do the math
Old 07-14-2009, 11:47 PM

I'm gonna see the film- I didn't start reading it until the 3rd book was getting hyped, and I read the first two to catch up and then the 3rd one. I really liked the series after the 3rd book- as I was in high school around then? But I still enjoyed the first two novels. Though as I got older the 6th book sort of annoyed me because it was filled with Teen Drama- the stuff I had in High school but now no longer was experiencing and better for it. So it was amusing to realize that I had outgrown the stages of Potter before he had since the books weren't one every year. But I love HP7 and the movie's aren't bad, so I'm def. going to see it just to follow along with it.

I'm turning 24 when I go see it.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:03 AM

I was never the target audience but I enjoyed the first movie enough to see the rest of them and eventually I read the books and enjoyed them.

I hate to be a geek about the movies but either the author gave up literary control or she didn't care enough to keep the movies accurate to the book. Heck, they weren't accurate between movies. There is no way to display the layout of the school because there isn't a definitive version.

I found the first movie to be superior in every possible way to the later ones so I'm not expecting much from this one. The commercial for it gives me the impression that special effects are going to trump everything else (in a bad way).
Old 07-15-2009, 12:05 AM

I'm going to go see it. Female, age 25. I LOVED the books, which I started reading only when I was 19 although I was 13 or so when the first one came out. I'm not so crazy about the movies (I was excited for weeks before the release of the last book, but I'm only mildly looking forward to the movie) but I think of them as a reminder of something I once really enjoyed.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

My students (16-18) are all going to see it tonight--many of them in costume. The boys are as excited as the girls. Possibly more. They've been posting countdowns on Facebook for days.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Got a pair of tickets to the midnight opening and will leave for the mall in about two hours. kaylasmom will be staying home and waiting for the DVD. It's more enjoyable for her when we can stop the movie for a moment when necessary and explain complex visual effects, and the damn projectionist just will not cooperate.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:41 AM

Pretty much anyone who loves the books or the previous films. Both of which have been popular with a pretty wide age demographic. I'm 34 now and love both.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 AM

Whoa. Am I the only one who's got way less interest? I'll still go see the movie....but damn, it's taking forever, and I read the books anyway. And the kids are all getting really old.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
My 21 year old intern asked permission to come in a bit late today because she wanted to see the midnight showing. I got the impression she was going with a bunch of friends her age. I don`t know who she hangs out with but she's a pretty quintessential walking talking image of a rich sorority girl.

I'll go see the movie eventually. While it's in theaters for sure. I thought the first couple movies were charming and really only liked the imagery and the ambiance of the magical little world. The winter/Christmasy scenes in at least a couple of the movies put me in a Christmas mood more than most Christmas movies do. The actual plots were really dull and my interest in the last couple movies has only grown because the overarching Voldemorte plot finally got somewhere. I'm 25. I think they are really fun children's books and movies but aside from being admittedly very charming I have a hard time understanding why adults get excited about them as they do. I mean it's fine... I just don`t get that excited.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:31 PM

Plenty of my nerd friends recommended HP and the Philosopher's Stone to me when it first came out, not least because I had a keen interest in alchemy at the time.

Personally, I've always found her prose unreadable; it's just appalling. (Sure, she was writing for children, but there are lots of children's lit authors that are a pleasure to read as an adult.)

While I can't stomach her writing at all, one thing is clear: she's a fantastic storyteller.

I love the movies, and am really looking forward to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
I found the first movie to be superior in every possible way to the later ones so I'm not expecting much from this one. The commercial for it gives me the impression that special effects are going to trump everything else (in a bad way).
Seriously? IMO, the only Potter movie worse than the first one was "Chamber of Secrets." The film version of "Prisoner of Azkaban" is downright great.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:48 PM

I'd say it's pretty much everyone. I know people from seven to seventy who are looking forward to seeing it at the cinema.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Elephant Whisperer

The wife and I are both well into middle age. Weve both read all of the books and enjoyed them. The film opens on Thursday in Thailand, and we'll probably see it this weekend.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
Whoa. Am I the only one who's got way less interest? I'll still go see the movie....but damn, it's taking forever, and I read the books anyway. And the kids are all getting really old.
At this point, the actors playing the kids aren't much older than the characters they're portraying - and teenagers in movies are often played by young adults in their 20s, so I might even guess they're closer in age to their characters than the average.

I'm excited about the movies, but I won't see it until a few weeks when the crowds calm down more, at least. The HP movies are still some of the few that I'll go out of my way to see in a theater, though - I rarely go to the movies.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:53 PM

Asked my 20 yo son yesterday. HE said he was looking forward to it, but not really psyched like he has been for other movies. Said he pretty much had to see it, as the books were such a big part of his growing up.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:14 AM

The actual content of the series gets progressively darker and grimmer. In a way, I feel like they are written in such a way that Rowling expected the readers to grow up alongside the characters, which a lot of children and teenagers in the 00's did.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:43 AM

My youngest son was maybe 8 when the books first came out (he is 19 now). He has devoured every book more than once. My wife and older son are big fans as well and I am a sort of fan. We have seen every movie as a family so far. The first few were Christmas time releases so we would all be together and it was a great movie everyone could enjoy. This may be the first one that we see seperately but we will all see it eventually.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 AM

I saw HP and the HBP, and I must say a few things:

1. It sucked worse than HP and the OOTP. It should have been called "Harry Potter and the Half-Erect Penises". I though I was watching Twilight.
2. It had as much meat as a Tofu Burger
3. The target audience had to be a few thousand people who had never seen the first 5.

*** Spoiler ***

What is it with the Defense against the Dark Arts Teachers? They're like Red-Shirted Star Trek crew members.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryman View Post
*snip*

What is it with the Defense against the Dark Arts Teachers? They're like Red-Shirted Star Trek crew members.
Voldemort wanted the job back before he went totally evil and he put a "curse", so to speak, on the job saying no one will hold the job for more than a year until he can have it.

According to this site it has made quite a few bucks.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...rrypotter6.htm
Old 07-17-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
Considering every person I see reading a Harry Potter book is a women, in her late 20s to early 30 and Daniel Radcliffe is now over 18 and looking pretty good... Well you do the math
I have a friend, a medical malpractice attorney, aged 52, male, who loves the books and is going to the weekend showing. He'd go to the opener, but he's in a trial right now.

I'm 47 and enjoy the films and books as well (not as re-re-reads--I only reread when a film is coming out). It's not so much that I think Radcliffe is hot (he is waaaay too young for me, although I can see the attraction), I not only enjoy the storyline, but I also enjoy watching Britain's best actors in all of the films.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 PM

Just came from an afternoon screening here in Las Vegas.
Audience was totally mixed - from young, to 20's, all the way up to retired couples using walkers.
I think after so many films, the audience has widened to those who caught them on television as well as those who started reading the books after the first films started coming out.

In any case - the audience was across the board in terms of gender and age.

BTW, we liked the film very much (having never read the books) but it was a bit melancholy as you start to feel this saga coming to an end.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 PM

I'm 21- I was 10 and a half when I got the first Harry Potter book, and was the first kid in my whole school (preschool to eight grade) to read it. I had to wait several months for Chamber of Secrets to be released, but read it as soon as I could get it. If my vacation to the UK had been a day longer, I would have read Prisoner of Azkaban on the release date there. But no, we left on the release date, and I couldn't get it. Still bitter.

I read 4, 5, 6, and 7 on the days they were released in the US- for 6 and 7, I went to midnight release parties. I got the two "school books" (Fantastic Beasts; Quidditch Through the Ages) very close to the release. I asked for and received Tales of Beedle the Bard for Christmas.

I've never been that into the films. I've seen each one in theatres with family or friends or, one memorably occasion, my boyfriend's family, and even went to a midnight show of Order of the Phoenix for a friend's birthday party two days after seeing Harry and the Potters in concert. I know that doesn't sound very blasť, but I don't own any of the movies, have never seen them multiple times in theatre and only one multiple times out of theatres (I rewatched Chamber of Secrets with a friend), and I haven't seen Half-Blood Prince yet.

Of course that's partially because some of my co-workers and I are waiting for the IMAX release. Darn Transformers and their exclusive 4-week contract.