Old 08-21-2009, 08:47 PM

The saddest poll I've seen in a while...

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...nal_819513.pdf

So Public Policy Polling, whoever they are, do an automated phone poll. Small sample size, and I've never been able to figure out if people are more or less honest when they're not talking to an actual person, but I don't think it was a push poll or anything.

One question asked if "government should stay out of Medicare." 39 percent said yes. Another 38 percent believe that Barack Obama was not born in the United States. Hell, only 90 percent consider Hawaii to be part of the United States! So I guess maybe only 28 percent are actual birthers, the others may think he was born in some exotic foreign country called Hawaii. But still, 28-38 percent is awfully high for something that has been so thoroughly debunked as that particular rumor, don't you think?

Oh well. At least 0% think Obama was born in France. I'm not sure if that makes me feel better about the 14 percent who aren't sure that our President isn't a cheese-eating surrender monkey.
Advertisements  
Old 08-21-2009, 09:04 PM

It has come to my attention that people are stupid.

We, the smart ones, should be coming up with plans for how to remedy this, but we're all too busy watching Battlestar Galactica.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:32 PM

I sometimes wonder what the political landscape would look like if a fair, unbiased test were required to ensure a voter had some basic critical thinking skills and at least some understanding of the issues.

I'd never actually support such a thing, of course, but it would be interesting to see what things would be like if idiots didn't have as much a say as geniuses.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 PM

Solutions to the stupid problem may be discussed here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=529002
Old 08-21-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlyburnttoast View Post
I sometimes wonder what the political landscape would look like if a fair, unbiased test were required to ensure a voter had some basic critical thinking skills and at least some understanding of the issues.

I'd never actually support such a thing, of course, but it would be interesting to see what things would be like if idiots didn't have as much a say as geniuses.
The geniuses need to be limited to their categories of excellence. They have a tendency to be... what's the polite term here... Oh, yeah, absolute nutbars once they leave it.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:57 PM

Please pardon my tangent, but...

Polls Also report that 78+% of Americans say that they buy into this Jesus horseshit and I suspect that this is due to the fear of the stigma that comes along with being honest with your feelings about it with friends, family, etc.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:13 AM

On the other hand, I wonder if there is a correlation between intelligence and hanging up on automated phone polls.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:28 AM

There is a bit of a sample bias in that phone polls aren't allowed to dial cell phone numbers (I think), and a lot of people don't even have landlines anymore. The sort of person with a cell phone and no landline would, I'd guess, sway in a certain level of intelligence.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:14 AM

preview!!!

Last edited by crowmanyclouds; 08-22-2009 at 02:15 AM. Reason: PREVIEW!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post

We, the smart ones, should be coming up with plans for how to remedy this, but we're all too busy watching Battlestar Galactica.
Ya know ... if I had an actual Signature instead of just a sig ... this would be it.

CMC fnord!
We accept him! We accept him! One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble, gooble gobble! One of us! One of us!
Hmm, Join Date: Aug 2009, don't embarrass me by turning out to someone's clever sock n00b!
Also, it has come to my attention that calling someone a n00b completely fucks-up your codeing skills ... and your ability to speel.

Last edited by crowmanyclouds; 08-22-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:43 AM

I'm quite certain that the only reason that no one voted that he was born in France was because it wasn't one of the choices in a multiple choice question. If it had been, we'd be laughing at the (minimum) 2-5% who would have selected it.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
There is a bit of a sample bias in that phone polls aren't allowed to dial cell phone numbers (I think), and a lot of people don't even have landlines anymore. The sort of person with a cell phone and no landline would, I'd guess, sway in a certain level of intelligence.
If you're suggesting a cell-phone only individual is smarter (or dumber) than a landline user I'd suggest you think again. The only correlation you're likely to find there is age--older people are less likely to be cell-phone only.

Oh and also, I wonder what percentage of people think the government should "stay out of Social Security?"

Last edited by MysteryFellow63427; 08-22-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee2k View Post
On the other hand, I wonder if there is a correlation between intelligence and hanging up on automated phone polls.
I work in market research/opinion polls and I can tell you that it's hard enough to get people to do opinion polls when they're talking to a human being. Opinions are not, in fact, like assholes, few people have them and even fewer want to share (not that I'd want anyone to share their asshole with me, though I guess over the phone it wouldn't be so offensive). I wonder how many tens of thousands of calls they had to make to get the 909 responders. I can make hundreds of calls in a shift and only get 2-6 "completes."
Old 08-22-2009, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I stole that. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I'm quite certain that the only reason that no one voted that he was born in France was because it wasn't one of the choices in a multiple choice question. If it had been, we'd be laughing at the (minimum) 2-5% who would have selected it.
Did they ask Miss South Carolina?
Old 08-22-2009, 08:47 AM

That poll is evidence that the guys at Kung Fu Monkey were close to the mark with their crazification factor:

http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com/2005/10...ification.html
Quote:
John: Hey, Bush is now at 37% approval. I feel much less like Kevin McCarthy screaming in traffic. But I wonder what his base is --

Tyrone: 27%.

John: ... you said that immmediately, and with some authority.

Tyrone: Obama vs. Alan Keyes. Keyes was from out of state, so you can eliminate any established political base; both candidates were black, so you can factor out racism; and Keyes was plainly, obviously, completely crazy. Batshit crazy. Head-trauma crazy. But 27% of the population of Illinois voted for him. They put party identification, personal prejudice, whatever ahead of rational judgement. Hell, even like 5% of Democrats voted for him. That's crazy behaviour. I think you have to assume a 27% Crazification Factor in any population.

John: Objectively crazy or crazy vis-a-vis my own inertial reference frame for rational behaviour? I mean, are you creating the Theory of Special Crazification or General Crazification?

Tyrone: Hadn't thought about it. Let's split the difference. Half just have worldviews which lead them to disagree with what you consider rationality even though they arrive at their positions through rational means, and the other half are the core of the Crazification -- either genuinely crazy; or so woefully misinformed about how the world works, the bases for their decision making is so flawed they may as well be crazy.

John: You realize this leads to there being over 30 million crazy people in the US?

Tyrone: Does that seem wrong?

John: ... a bit low, actually.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I'm incredibly concerned about the 7% of people with a post graduate education that think Hawaii is a different country.

I've heard about the declining state of education, but wow.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
I'm incredibly concerned about the 7% of people with a post graduate education that think Hawaii is a different country.
While I don't doubt some people are that ignorant, questions like that often get confused responses, and I'd wager good money a lot of the people who answered "No" were interpreting the question to mean that Hawaii was not part of the continental USA, not part of the continent. You'll also have a lot of people who just hit the wrong button.

Trust me when I say this; no matter how straightforward you think the question is on a questionnaire, people will screw up the answer.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:

I've heard about the declining state of education, but wow.
"When we get to Hawaii for our honeymoon, where do we go to get our money exchanged for Hawaiian currency?"

Also, how does Hawaii have internet? Can wifi reach that far?

Does Hawaii have "inter-state" highways?

How can you ship something to Hawaii "UPS Ground"?

When the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor during Vietnam, how did we find out? Is there someone in California with a telescope pointed at Hawaii making sure it's still there?
Old 08-22-2009, 01:48 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

The answer to #3 is, of course, yes. Roads built with Federal Funds as part of the Federal Interstate Highways Program are "Interstates," regardless of whether or not they actually, you know, connect to another state.

You also have to adjust the crazification factor by that percentage of the population that just likes to fuck with pollsters.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:52 PM

Don't try to sway me with facts and logic. Next you'll try to tell me that people born in Hawaii are eligible to become president.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:04 AM

Perhaps voting should be compulsory. It might serve to dilute the idiots.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
They're probably Hawaiians.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...nal_819513.pdf

So Public Policy Polling, whoever they are, do an automated phone poll. Small sample size, and I've never been able to figure out if people are more or less honest when they're not talking to an actual person, but I don't think it was a push poll or anything.

One question asked if "government should stay out of Medicare." 39 percent said yes. Another 38 percent believe that Barack Obama was not born in the United States. Hell, only 90 percent consider Hawaii to be part of the United States! So I guess maybe only 28 percent are actual birthers, the others may think he was born in some exotic foreign country called Hawaii. But still, 28-38 percent is awfully high for something that has been so thoroughly debunked as that particular rumor, don't you think?
Give it time. After all, roughly the same percentage believed the US Government had something to do with 9/11 until around 2003. Now it's less than 10%, or roughly the same percentage that believe Elvis is still alive.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-24-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Oh c'mon, don't be silly.

BSG has been over for six months. We're all watching Dollhouse now.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:

No "We, the smart ones" about it my friend. We're all people and we're all stupid. Me, you, and everyone else. I do mean everyone, including Mensa members. What makes us more dangerous, and also easier to fool, is that we think we're smart.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Who was that guy who was shown in a Fox News clip on The Daily Show the other night who said, "I've been on food stamps, I've been on welfare... nobody helped me out"?

He was in The Skulls if it helps.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Who was that guy ...
Craig T. Nelson, longer chunk of the interview.

CMC fnord!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:56 AM

Thanks. Just occurred to me that he was Coach too. Duh.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:

You're quite right. It is pretty stupid to think that this poll means anything.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Thanks. Just occurred to me that he was Coach too. Duh.
He was Bob Parr in The Incredibles too. I love that movie. Hopefully I'll be able to watch it in the future without thinking, oh man, that guy is voiced by one honkin' huge moron.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Echoing what neuroman said, what are you implying? It is not necessarily smarter to be cell phone only or have a landline. Landlines are still cheaper by a hell of a lot (mine costs me about $20 a month, all taxes included, for unlimited calling. A similar cell phone plan would run $50-60 month minimum). You could also make the case the opposite way though, because if it best suits your individual financial, personal, and business situation then cell-phone only may be the way to go. There really is no "smarter" choice across the board.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher View Post
Give it time. After all, roughly the same percentage believed the US Government had something to do with 9/11 until around 2003. Now it's less than 10%, or roughly the same percentage that believe Elvis is still alive.
In other words, there are only 10% or so that are really batshit, and another 18-28% who are just really, really, really slow on the uptake?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetech View Post
In other words, there are only 10% or so that are really batshit, and another 18-28% who are just really, really, really slow on the uptake?
I don't think it has to do with stupidity. There are just some facts or lies that are the club colours of a particular club. Which belief is the club colour du jour varies. That some are debunked and others not is irrelevant.
It's a small price to pay to be a "birther" if that gains you social acceptance and an image as a critical thinker with your peers. Especially since being a birther doesn't really do anyone harm or change anything in an unsettling way. It's just a way for some Republican voters to deal with the indignity of having lost the election. It is telling that they can't come up with anythign worse against Obama then this.

Last edited by Maastricht; 08-27-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The answer to #3 is, of course, yes. Roads built with Federal Funds as part of the Federal Interstate Highways Program are "Interstates," regardless of whether or not they actually, you know, connect to another state. . .
They have more than one. See map.

I've heard, in passing, that Hawaii lobbied for the funding - that it was a "why should we be forbidden federal funding for highways just because you guys are all over there" kind of thing.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
Landlines are still cheaper by a hell of a lot (mine costs me about $20 a month, all taxes included, for unlimited calling. A similar cell phone plan would run $50-60 month minimum). ..
Depends where you live. When I lived in California, a landline cost about 20 a month. Where I live now it's over 45, which is what I pay for a cell phone.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:40 AM

There are very few things in my life that can't wait 2-24 hours for an e-mail response.

$8.00 per month cellphone v. $24.00 per month landline
Old 08-30-2009, 11:12 AM

Jeez. My cellphone bill is $60 per month before taxes and fees and all that and my landline bill is about the same after taxes and fees.