Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Apart from the embarrassingly clumsy set-up and pay-off of Hiro's story, I liked it. I think if this is how it had developed in Season 2 - to try and use their powers for good and eventually form a cohesive team - everything would've turned out much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltire
I absolutely love that Peter is using his powers in a superhero way that actually has a chance of working in their non-comicbook world. Peter and Hiro both want to use their abilities for good, but Hiro seems to expect the rest of the world to join him in his fantasy.
Sweet zombie Jane Austen, yes to all the above. Peter also seem to have figured out that his family is, 95% of the time loving, devoted to him, if a little slappy on Angela's part and would kill or be killed to protect each other but the other 5% they will semi literally send you to hell for whatever they think is the greater good (Angela-nuke NYC, Nathan-Building 26 PWA prison). How long he stays that way, unknown. Certainly not for long. I could see him trusting Sylar-than more than real Nathan, were he to find out.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I so want the braless Claire to get down and dirty with her new best friend, who was last seen seducing and then blackmaling David Duchovny on Californication. Yum.
THANK YOU!!!! THAT'S where I knew her from. (Yeah, I guess I could have just IMDB'ed her.)
Old 09-25-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Was it spinning when T-Bag (I'll never remember his new name) was holding it? I'm thinking it might be a power detector that shows what someone can do. Since Peter is an empath, it spins wildly because he can do everything. A compass that just shows if someone has a power isn't very useful.
Whilst I'm not disagreeing, because I wondered something along these lines too, I struggled to think of many situations where this would be astonishingly useful either. In most cases it would simply be confirming something the wielder was already well aware of.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:15 AM

So what're the odds that Mohinder will end up working for T-Bag & The Carnies, then end up regretting it, angsting over it, and switching sides?

Or that the Petrellis will have family issues that end up with one or more becoming crazy villains, until they do an about face near the finale to help stop the real villain, and in the process realizing the importance of Family?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
So what're the odds that Mohinder will end up working for T-Bag & The Carnies, then end up regretting it, angsting over it, and switching sides?
I'd don't think so, the carnies don't seem to have a funding source or lab facilities. He may sell himself out for his work, constantly, but there has to be a qualified buyer.

Quote:
Or that the Petrellis will have family issues that end up with one or more becoming crazy villains, until they do an about face near the finale to help stop the real villain, and in the process realizing the importance of Family?
Well, there's no Nathan to manipulate this year (da dah DUHN!) so maybe not. Maybe Angela will grow a conscience? Naw.

Hey, I noticed that in the carny office the blackboard maintenance roster listed dates like 11/24/09 and 11/??/09. What's our time line now? Our guys are still in whatever date would result in a 1 yr baby 4 years after Janice being pregnant and the carnies are now?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
I'd don't think so, the carnies don't seem to have a funding source or lab facilities. He may sell himself out for his work, constantly, but there has to be a qualified buyer.
He should go work for Angela. She could use some science help and I'm sure she can provide both the shiny lab equipment AND the source of condescension that he's used to and that he really needs in order to shine. She'd probably even throw in a free microscope for him to hit people with.

Quote:
Hey, I noticed that in the carny office the blackboard maintenance roster listed dates like 11/24/09 and 11/??/09. What's our time line now? Our guys are still in whatever date would result in a 1 yr baby 4 years after Janice being pregnant and the carnies are now?
Oh Thanks! I was having the lamest argument ever with someone about what year they were living in. I see my suggestion that our 'now' is always sort of their 'now' regardless of how little sense that makes is accurate. Comics and soap opera always quietly ignore this problem too.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethea View Post
Oh Thanks! I was having the lamest argument ever with someone about what year they were living in. I see my suggestion that our 'now' is always sort of their 'now' regardless of how little sense that makes is accurate. Comics and soap opera always quietly ignore this problem too.
I think they're subscribing to this particular trope. Is there a name for it? I'd check out TVtropes, but I don't have six hours to get sucked into that site.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
I think they're subscribing to this particular trope. Is there a name for it? I'd check out TVtropes, but I don't have six hours to get sucked into that site.
I risked getting sucked into their vortex to find you are indeed right - Comic Book Time!
Old 09-26-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnAgain View Post
Ah well, at least I broke the habit of watching Lost.
Your loss.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 AM

No no no, they're lost.

Last edited by FinnAgain; 09-26-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethea View Post
He should go work for Angela. She could use some science help and I'm sure she can provide both the shiny lab equipment AND the source of condescension that he's used to and that he really needs in order to shine. She'd probably even throw in a free microscope for him to hit people with.
(Bolding mine)That boy never gave himself enough credit- smart, educated, multilingual, cute, nice, compassionate, killer smile, ethical some of the time, AND has the un-abilitied ability to beat goons like Flint into a coma with only mild softening up via microscope. But he's so insecure (thanks, Dad), he gravitates to those company types (Thompson, Noah, Bob, Arthur) who flatter him then use him like a rented 4x4 on a camping trip. Well, every character needs a big gaping flaw, and that's his. Otherwise, he'd be so perfect that even I'd want to shove him off a bridge.

Working on his own, he (yay!)isolates the genes that give people abilities, cures the virus (I always wondered if he was deliberately exposed as an infant to get that antibody), and develops a formula to give anyone abilities but (boo!) that bug issue side effect. Like Bob said to him when he got moved into that sweet lab with level 4 security monitoring, "I think supervision is in everybody's best interest"

Quote:
Not wanting to make this a Heroes v. Lost thread, but Lost got sucked into the same resultant problem. It took them 3-4 seasons to move through 3 months of show-time, and then they had to deal with kid characters who insisted on growing up faster than the show's internal chronology. Bye Walt. Bye Micha and Molly. If Heroes wants to magic blink themselves out of 2007 or whatever, I'm not such a pedant that I'm going to sweat it. But it would be cool to see Caitlin track down Peter and see if that mostly-everybody-shanti-virus dead 2008 ever materialized because the virus never got out of that vault in Odessa. She can just come yell at him because she lost a year of her life.

Oh right, I just remembered-when Samuel went to bug the old guy for the 14 yr backblast, the title read 'present day'. So it's either 2009 or I don't want to ride that Zipper of theirs until the hydraulics work

Last edited by Annie; 09-26-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
(Bolding mine)That boy never gave himself enough credit- smart, educated, multilingual, cute, nice, compassionate, killer smile, ethical some of the time, AND has the un-abilitied ability to beat goons like Flint into a coma with only mild softening up via microscope. But he's so insecure (thanks, Dad), he gravitates to those company types (Thompson, Noah, Bob, Arthur) who flatter him then use him like a rented 4x4 on a camping trip. Well, every character needs a big gaping flaw, and that's his. Otherwise, he'd be so perfect that even I'd want to shove him off a bridge.
k
Don't forget funny! When he's of a mind, Mohinder is one of the few characters on the show with a sense of humour, for all his usually earnest demeanour. And yeah, I think the small print on his degree reads something like "good for all scientific disciplines, Nobel Prize level"

Quote:

Oh right, I just remembered-when Samuel went to bug the old guy for the 14 yr backblast, the title read 'present day'. So it's either 2009 or I don't want to ride that Zipper of theirs until the hydraulics work
Well, though I think it probably *is* 2009, it could just as easily mean our gang's present day of 2007 (or whenever). All will eventually be revealed, I guess.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:09 PM

So is there a SDMB protocol for TV threads- a new thread per ep, or do we just run a season's worth of one into the dirt?
Old 09-27-2009, 02:30 PM

I think 60+ posts for one episode means there should probably be a new thread for each one.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:50 PM

The forum sticky says this:

Quote:
"Finally, if you're dealing with a TV series, it's helpful to provide an episode number or episode title. The date the show airs may not be helpful, since we deal with people in different countries."
(bolding mine)

So I think you have leave to make a new thread each week
Old 09-27-2009, 04:30 PM

Am I just being paranoid, or does anyone else get the vibe that there's something not quite right about Claire's new best friend? Why is she so excited about the death, what with all the forensics books? Is that really just a suicide?
Old 09-27-2009, 04:38 PM

Ya, ok. I have to post 'em up in the morning before work, and they sit there so lonely all day long.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Decider View Post
Am I just being paranoid, or does anyone else get the vibe that there's something not quite right about Claire's new best friend? Why is she so excited about the death, what with all the forensics books? Is that really just a suicide?
I definitely got the "Single White Female" vibe from her. I'm thinking she did some sort of Jedi Mind Trick to get the annoying one to jump.

Quote:
Ya, ok. I have to post 'em up in the morning before work, and they sit there so lonely all day long.
That's fine with me. I subscribe as soon as I see them Monday morning, so I don't have to go looking for them on Tuesday.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
I definitely got the "Single White Female" vibe from her. I'm thinking she did some sort of Jedi Mind Trick to get the annoying one to jump.
Swell, Matt's got a little sister? I think Hippie chik dangled the Trajectory Chart out the window and Annie went fetch, completely Pavlovian response

BTW, I was thiiis close to making "Don't let GED become a lifestyle choice" my tagline, but then I saw some beer that needed drinking,and I forgot
Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
BTW, I was thiiis close to making "Don't let GED become a lifestyle choice" my tagline, but then I saw some beer that needed drinking,and I forgot
I don't often say this, but may steal this for a sig line?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:44 AM

Go right ahead- I live to corrupt impressionable youth.