The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

NBC's Trauma

Is anyone else watching?

Anyone want in on a pool over how long it lasts? I say cancelled by epi #6.
Advertisements  
Old 10-20-2009, 07:19 AM

I love watching the rhythms go by on their Lifepak 15 that's not hooked up to anything and always shows Lead II, SpO2, and EtCO2... I've mostly been watching out of morbid curiosity. Terrible, terrible show.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Urho View Post
I love watching the rhythms go by on their Lifepak 15 that's not hooked up to anything and always shows Lead II, SpO2, and EtCO2... I've mostly been watching out of morbid curiosity. Terrible, terrible show.
I never caught that one. Last night, they did do CPR on a flatline...

My biggest beef to date is using a helicopter as a regular ambulance. Those are very expensive to operate, and you don't fly cardiac cases or broken arms, or even land them on a city street in close quarters.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VunderBob
My biggest beef to date is using a helicopter as a regular ambulance.
Using a helicopter at all, really. They're just not part of the regular fleet here as there's really no good place to land one. The episode a couple weeks ago with the car smashing through a street fair was ridiculous - the plaza it was in is technically large enough, but it would have taken longer to clear out the plaza to let one land safely without creating a lethal tornado of flying debris than it would to drive an ambulance from there to SF General.

Here's a pic (seems to be a protest of some sort) showing the size. About the only things they got close to right is that is is possible for an out of control car to come off the end of Market Street into the area, and that there is a farmers market there on Tuesdays.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:50 PM

I'ven never heard a morning traffic report discuss the shooting of a TV series before, but now I'll occasionally hear about delays or detours because Trauma is shooting.

Sounds like they do lots of location shooting, even if the geography is a bit off. But I'm not interested in another med show (House is my limit currently), so I've never seen an ep and probably won't (though I do like Cliff Curtis).
Old 10-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Smart, Hip, Dipstick

I watched the premier -- that was enough for me. The stupid barrier was broken for me in the first couple of minutes when the ambulance crew beat the helicopter to the rooftop. Apparently they had jetpacks, because they were pulling up to the building as the helicopter was approaching, yet they still somehow made it up the 30-odd stories before the helicopter landed.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

The premiere also was enough for me, though my problem is that they portrayed San Francisco as devoid of firefighters. They had a huge pileup on the freeway, involving a gasoline tanker (which explodes, natch). There are medics all over the place, and a few cops, but not a single fire engine.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Hm. I actually like this show.

I liked the bit where Rabbit gave the kid hypothermia (with saline stored in a cooler full of ice) to counteract spinal swelling.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:18 PM

The only thing I like about this show is that it's filmed in SF. The scenery is familiar, but I live 50 miles away so the inconveniences caused by the filming don't affect me.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post

I liked the bit where Rabbit gave the kid hypothermia (with saline stored in a cooler full of ice) to counteract spinal swelling.
In real life, he'd be damned lucky to not have his card pulled for practicing medicine without a license, too.

You only do something like that if it's in the protocols, or you have a doctor's order. Reading it in a journal ain't good enough.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:42 PM

I saw the pilot, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't take it seriously, of course, but just as an action-packed thrill show, I thought it was pretty good. They certainly pushed the limit on violence for a show of this type.

And Cliff Curtis was excellent......TRM
Old 10-20-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post

My part-time job has saline in coolers with reusable icepacks for therapeutic hypotherma in patients who are resuscitated from cardiac arrest. We don't do it for "spinal swelling."
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagloba View Post
The only thing I like about this show is that it's filmed in SF.
I heard nothing but bad things, plus a friend was fired off the show, so I pretty much only watched to see bits of SF pop up on screen, which has been kinda fun.

They shot at a park across the street from my house a month or two ago (I imagine that will air soon, since the buildings in the area had Hallowen decorations up), and just this morning, they were set up at the Independent (midsize concert venue).

I like having stuff film here in SF, but I'd prefer if it were, y'know, actually good.