The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 12-10-2009, 08:40 PM

Dopers who live in very cold/snowy winter climates: how do you walk your dogs?

It's about 36 degrees here at the moment- cold but not unbearable- and is supposed to be in the 20s tomorrow. (Fahrenheit I should add for non U.S. Dopers.) I always dread walking my dogs when it dips below freezing and they usually get fewer than their customary leash walks and more "back yard" time and "set down training pads for accidents" time.

In Alabama there's usually a dozen sub-freezing nights per year and rarely are more than 2 consecutive and even then the days will often be warm. While walking them earlier this evening though I just started wondering: how do dog owners in places like Maine or the U.S./Canadian midwest or Scandinavia or other places where it gets absolutely frigid or snow covered in winter sometimes for several consecutive days deal with this? Presumably nobody walks them during a blizzard, but how about just, say, a week long period snow and ice and single freezing temperatures? Do you just bundle up and bite the bullet and take them out, or do you paper train them, or... what exactly?

More GQ perhaps but I'll IMHO since I'm sure there'll be different answers.

Last edited by Sampiro; 12-10-2009 at 08:42 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 12-10-2009, 08:55 PM

Our dog pees in the backyard, no matter how cold it is. We exercise him indoors. He chases the Swiffer like a madman.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:58 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

You bite the bullet and take them out. Small and short-haired dogs wear coats and sweaters. Some dogs wear booties. I put Musher's foot wax on my dog's feet for blistering cold days (also to protect from road salt).

I have a fenced-in yard so I don't have to walk my dog. But last Christmas I was at my brother's and had to take her out on a leash. The windchill was below zero. She kept "horking" as if she couldn't breathe. I think her nose was freezing from the wind. I had to keep stopping and blowing into her nose so we could finish our business and get back inside.

You'd be surprised how much cold you can handle if the sun is out and it's not windy. If you're properly dressed (sometimes I wear polar cleats) and your dog is fine with it, a short walk is no big deal.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
Our dog pees in the backyard, no matter how cold it is. We exercise him indoors. He chases the Swiffer like a madman.
Same here. Sadie's a fetcher, and we also have a roundabout in the house, so she gets some good exercise. She's still a puppy, and a couple times a day she makes mad runs through four rooms, chasing herself, then flops on somebody's lap.

She potties outside. We usually bundle up and take her out, but on the coldest days (like the minus 20 windchill yesterday and today), I put the retractable leash on, let her out, and I stand inside while she potties. And she's learning to potty fast (on three legs). She does like the snow though.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

My late dog Bear was a Samoyed so it wasn't an issue here in the Boston area. It doesn't get cold enough for their Arctic tendencies and he got more into his game the colder it got so it was up to us to bundle up and walk him. Pure cold isn't bad at all even in the teen's F and below as long as it is somewhat clear and not windy. Light snow isn't that bad either. However, sleet and freezing rain are nasty and I usually wouldn't walk him in those conditions but I might play with with in the yard. It snowed a fair amount here a couple of days ago and people still walked their dog in the morning.

It doesn't take exotic gear to stay warm in dry cold above 0 F for shorter walks. Thermal underwear, jeans, water resistant shoes, an undershirt and a decent coat do just fine. What the dog needs depends on the breed. Small and short-haired dogs may need extra protection but lots of dogs don't. They are domesticated wolves after all and wolves live in some seriously cold climates. A lot of the places you listed have much drier climates than Alabama and it does make a big difference. Louisiana was freezing at 35F when I lived there and it was difficult to stay warm at all. Clothing insulates much better in some colder climes because it gets very dry during the winter.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 12-10-2009 at 09:42 PM..
Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 PM

I'm not sure what the mystery is. You walk the dogs the same way you walk to and from other places. Even if the only walking you do is to and from your car. It helps to wear a hat and warm clothing. For the most part the difference between really cold weather and pleasant weather is that it takes a little longer to get dressed for the cold.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 PM

As ZipperJJ said, bite the bullet. I have had at least one dog for the last 15 years, and I live in a condo in the 'burbs of Chicago, and walk them on leash. The Rhodesian Ridgeback gets a coat on cold days like today (single digits). My recently departed Norwegian Elkhound was good to go in all but the most frigid temperatures. They usually have incentive to get things over with quickly, so in the coldest weather we were never out for more than 10 minutes or so at a time.

However, the first snow for a dog is weird. Zilla, the Ridgeback beast, didn't poop for over 24 hours after first snowfall cause she just didn't know it was ok to poop in the snow. It felt weird underfoot compared to lawn, I guess. The first time I took her out to pee in snow, I think we were out for at last a half hour. I can't imagine housetraining a dog in the winter is fun at all. I always have gotten puppies in the spring or summer.

Last edited by porcupine; 12-10-2009 at 10:27 PM..
Old 12-10-2009, 10:31 PM
BANNED

The wind chill was about zero today. I took my beagles for about a 2 mile walk in the park. The wind was horrible. But they were happy and we will do it again tomorrow. We go every day except for days of steady rain. So we walk about 360 days a year. In long summer days we walk twice. I walk through snow in my gym shoes. No problem.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
A lot of the places you listed have much drier climates than Alabama and it does make a big difference. Louisiana was freezing at 35F when I lived there and it was difficult to stay warm at all. Clothing insulates much better in some colder climes because it gets very dry during the winter.
True that. You always hear of dry heat but one forgets there's also "dry cold". The most miserable weather here is when it's cold but also humid and you feel it on your face like little ice droplets.

Last edited by Sampiro; 12-11-2009 at 01:07 AM..
Old 12-11-2009, 02:12 AM

Northern Midwest doper speaking here:

My previous dogs (and they were extremely stupid, god bless them ) figured out how to "go" almost immediately.

And this was with 1-2 feet of snow on the ground. When dogs need to go, they figure out a way.

As for me - a sturdy winter coat, a a scarf, a wool cap and a pair of mittens keeps me good for at least an hour for any temperature at or above the single digits (fahrenheit). Below that, I'd need some thermal underwear at the minimum.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:01 AM

We can walk ours without issue until -20 or -30 C. In that range we let them play in the yard. If we notice them lifting their paws too much we pull them in and just play fetch in the house. They're husky mixes and can handle a lot of cold but there comes a point where they would just as soon stay cuddled up on the couch until the cold snap breaks.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
It's about 36 degrees here at the moment- cold but not unbearable- and is supposed to be in the 20s tomorrow. (Fahrenheit I should add for non U.S. Dopers.) I always dread walking my dogs when it dips below freezing and they usually get fewer than their customary leash walks and more "back yard" time and "set down training pads for accidents" time.

In Alabama there's usually a dozen sub-freezing nights per year and rarely are more than 2 consecutive and even then the days will often be warm. While walking them earlier this evening though I just started wondering: how do dog owners in places like Maine or the U.S./Canadian midwest or Scandinavia or other places where it gets absolutely frigid or snow covered in winter sometimes for several consecutive days deal with this? Presumably nobody walks them during a blizzard, but how about just, say, a week long period snow and ice and single freezing temperatures? Do you just bundle up and bite the bullet and take them out, or do you paper train them, or... what exactly?

More GQ perhaps but I'll IMHO since I'm sure there'll be different answers.
I live out in the country in Connecticut [looks out at about 5 inches of snow on the ground in back] and do nothing different [our dog prefers it outside, she is a husky mix and is currently doing the silly dog trick of sleeping on her back sprawled out in the biggest puddle of snow she can find]

Now, if you live where there will be salt on the road surface, please get doggie booties to protect the pads, and if they are a short hair like a dachshund or no hair like a chihuahua, get a coat for them. Otherwise, dont worry about it, dogs evolved living outside and are pretty tolerant of weather conditions.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:43 AM

Actually, as much as I dislike winter, I'm always happy when it dips below 32 and stays there because the dogs bring a lot less mud into the house. Also makes those frozen little turds a little more pleasant to pick up. Just make sure you don't let too much pile up under repeated snows, or things can get pretty disgusting come spring.

Most dogs adapt quite well to cold - and do better the more you let them out in it. So the only thing is getting the right clothes for yourself. Living in a colder climate, you either buy a few utilitarian pieces of cold-weather gear, or you plan on spending several months primarily indoors.

As far as walking my dogs, I'd far prefer cold and snow to rain. In addition to the mess, 2 dogs on 2 leashes makes an umbrella difficult.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 AM

My dog's an idiot Anatolian Shepherd who loves the cold so I just throw him in the backyard.

To prove he's an idiot I bought him a insulated dog house last year in preparation of winter and he wouldn't go in it. I figured it was because it was too warm for him. Winter rolls around and i have two feet of snow in my backyard and it's in the negatives most morning when I put him out he still didn't go into the dog house instead he preferred the top of a snow bank where he could look out over the neighborhood.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:01 AM

Good lord. Today it was 35 or so, and Captain goes in the backyard but needs supervision because he has a tendency to run straight through wire to escape. I stood in the doorway in my underwear and a t-shirt and watched his Potty Race (he's gotten it down to less than a minute these days.) I thought I was going to die, but I don't think I'd have a dog if his morning constitutional required long underwear and boots. One day the neighbors are going to see me and I don't know what I'll say. "Good morning," I guess.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

It was -2 this morning when I got up.

Usually, I just let the pugs out in our fenced backyard to do their business, but past experience has shown me that once it gets below 5 degrees, their poor lil' puggy feet freeze and I sometimes have to go save them. So I bundled up and went out with them.

They did OK - no frozen feet - but they've asked to go out two more times this morning, which leads me to believe that they didn't do their thing.

I guess if I had a job out of the house, I'd be coming home to some messes. As it is, I just let them out 5 million times a day, and eventually it gets done.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

We're actually getting a new dog next week, so we're going to find out!

Regarding going out in cold weather, you just bundle up! Heck, my son and I are going on a Scout campout this weekend. We'll be tent camping. The predicted high temperature tomorrow is 27 deg F; the overnight low is 16 deg F. Yes, it's going to be cold, but we've got the gear for it. The key is layers.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

My sister in Anchorage walks her dog twice a day, every day, sub-freezing or sub-zero, snow storm or clear and cold. She's 72 and has been doing this for at least the past 50 years.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:13 AM

We pay someone. Well, this year we don't...the dog has bad hips and we want to keep him off the ice. So he gets his exercise in the house. Big dog, medium sized house. But he is three years old now, so he is starting to slow down.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Tuesday night I was in Central Park (around west 96th St.), it was sunset and around 40 degrees, and there was a parade of doggies being walked by bundled-up owners, chatting away with each other as usual. They were walking without stopping and sitting on benches and the smaller dogs were wearing coats (no booties because no snow, no salt), but most of them were nekkid. The dogs, I mean. Most larger species grow winter coats if they're northern-bred and look all shaggy and happy.

My brother has two dogs in upstate NY and a fenced-in backyard. We let them out as usual and all they do is run faster for exercise and come in sooner. The wimpiest one, who grows a thick double coat for the cold, does his business quickly and starts pawing at the back door while his younger short-coated girlfriend is still running around, so different dogs have different tolerances despite the breed.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:21 AM

People who aren't used to cold probably suffer more walking their dog when it's 35F out than someone in Wisconsin at 15 degrees.
The good thing about marked cold is that when you let the dog out in the back yard, there's a lot less sniffing around and dilly-dallying. The beast becomes less picky about site selection and just wants to get back inside*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Actually, as much as I dislike winter, I'm always happy when it dips below 32 and stays there because the dogs bring a lot less mud into the house. Also makes those frozen little turds a little more pleasant to pick up. Just make sure you don't let too much pile up under repeated snows, or things can get pretty disgusting come spring.
Very true, especially when we're talking Labrador or other large dog. You don't want to attempt a massive cleanup after spring thaw.

*one must however ensure that the dog has actually performed its task and isn't hustling back indoors to take a dump.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:22 AM
BANNED

Just got back from 1 hr walk in park. It is warmer than yesterday but the north wind is very biting. It actually feels colder. They both waited to get home to dump in the yard.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:59 AM

N. Wisconsin here. This is the first real cold we've had with the new puppy. We have a fenced backyard so we let him out and he goes there just fine. Our previous dogs didn't have any problem with cold, but new puppy was lifting his feet last night on a walk. I suppose I could get him booties, but I know he'd hate wearing them. Me, I have no problem with the cold. Bundle up and I'm fine. I do worry about the dog.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:09 PM

We live less than a mile from a leashless dog park, so we bite the bullet. My husband handles mornings, I do evenings, and on weekends we often go together. It's good for all of us.

One of our two dogs is about half Border Collie, and has energy to burn. We'd all be miserable if she didn't get enough exercise.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

The wind is howling, the snow is blowing and the wind chill was in the -20's when I walked my dog this morning. I just got back, brrr.

You bundle up; heavy insulated boots, hat, scarf, gloves + mitts, long, down filled, puffy coat with a hood, sweater. Oh, and my fleece pyjama bottoms tucked into my socks, underneath my cargo pants really help.(Don't tell anyone!)

As for the dog, he doesn't care at all. He's a golder retriever/poodle combo and his hair is currently quite short, as I just gave him a cut. Every now and then he limps a bit if the longer hair around his paws freezes up. It means I haven't cut it short enough, but I just stop and warm it up by rubbing it with my mittens. It seems to do the job!

The answer is: the same way we get by in cold climates, dress appropriately.

I feel sorry for the 50,000+ students, as we're currently experiencing a transit strike and they have exams. I saw some actually riding bikes today. Brrrrr! Heartless bastard bus drivers! I hope they all get coal in their stockings!

I'm off to start a fire!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:50 PM

I need to get my little guy some booties and a coat. He is very fluffy - but the fur is fine, and underneath he is pretty skinny. I took him for a walk to my daughter's school to pick her up - it was about -25*C and he couldn't walk back - he kept lifting his feet, whining and shivering. I had to carry him - good thing he is small. He hates it when the snow gets high enough to touch his belly, and he is pretty short so my hubby usually plows a play area for him.

He keeps asking for a walk, but doesn' enjoy it when he is out there - it's been silly cold this week -38*c with the windchill.

As for going out, he goes out, but does his business right away and comes back in like a shot. If I am not waiting at the door, he cries pitifully like he is dying.

I had a black lab puppy a few years ago that I got in Oct, and he had less of a problem going outside in the cold. I get him back in the next year or two (when he retires from the RCMP).

Dogs go to the bathroom outside. That's the rule.

Last edited by Poysyn; 12-11-2009 at 12:52 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM

We are the only full time residents on a dead end road. We have snow about 6 months out of the year.
As others have said, we bundle up. Usually we just walk the dogs down our road. Sometimes we will put our snowshoes on and walk behind the house. Our property is adjacent to national forest. The dogs will just follow in your tracks. After a few times, we get a good trail going.
We also use mushers secret on the dogs paws.
We have a doggie door for our girls, so they can come and go as they please. Used to have a fenced area for them, put in the winter, the snow would just cover it and they would just walk over it. I took a section of it down so they pretty much have the run of the mountain. I don’t totally agree with this, but it does not seem like they wander far at all.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
Presumably nobody walks them during a blizzard, but how about just, say, a week long period snow and ice and single freezing temperatures? Do you just bundle up and bite the bullet and take them out, or do you paper train them, or... what exactly?
Yes, we walk him in a blizzard. We also walk him when there is snow and ice. That's why they make winter clothing. Our dog also comes on a lot of winter hikes and some snowshoeing trips.

He's wooly and doesn't need additional clothing, but he has a dog version of rubbers for his feet to protect them from road salt (he doesn't need them out on the trails where there is no salt.)
Old 12-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Thank enipla, I think I'm going to get me some Musher's Secret, I'd never heard of it before!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post
We pay someone. Well, this year we don't...the dog has bad hips and we want to keep him off the ice. So he gets his exercise in the house. Big dog, medium sized house. But he is three years old now, so he is starting to slow down.
He is three and already slowing down?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconAndEggs View Post
He is three and already slowing down?
Probably meant he's finally growing out of the frenetic high-energy crazed mutt phase.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:17 PM

It can get pretty frikin' cold here - it will be about -27 C on the weekend (about -17 F) and I'll take my dog out with a sweater, coat and booties.

When it gets down to the - 40 range, he uses the cat's litter pan. His choice.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:40 PM

I have a Bernese Mountain Dog, so she's pretty much good to go no matter what the weather (cold is much preferable to heat for her). If I bundle up, I can deal with all but the most severe weather (which in Alberta, can be pretty severe). If it's really windy or there's a blizzard, though, she just goes out into the back yard to do her thing. If it's miserable out, she goes pretty quickly and hies it back inside.

If you have a shorter coated dog, I think you just have to bit the bullet and put some clothing on it for brief walks if it's really frigid. I'd be extremely leery about getting into the habit of putting down pads inside - I think that's a recipe for future accidents.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:01 PM

That reminds me, a number of years ago, I used to see 2-3 times a week on my way to work @ 6:30 am, this lady, walking her dog in -20 C temperature, wearing a fancy fur coat, gloves and boots, and carying the little shit-bag.

My only reaction was: "God, she must love that dog"
Old 12-11-2009, 06:02 PM

I suppose ultimately the surprise at walking dogs in that weather is that I can't imagine living in that weather. It's a rare day when I have to wear a jacket heavier than a windbreaker, and I could count on my fingers the number of times in 43 years I've been out and about in single-digit weather, let alone negative degrees.

Also my dogs are spoiled. The rat terrier doesn't even like to get his feet wet if it's been raining. I try to explain to him that "your ancestors lived in caves when they were lucky and mushed through tundra and on frozen rivers when they had to to catch wild prey", but before I even get to the 'mushed' part he's rolled his eyes, gone back upstairs, and gotten back in bed underneath the comforters so I don't think he understands. (Last night the other dog, a Jack Russell mutt, actually stole my comforter- true story- dragged it off of me with his teeth and rolled up in it.)
Old 12-11-2009, 06:08 PM

In Calgary, with two dogs: they get walked all winter. We don't take them out in colder then about -25C or so, or they get frozen paws. But they're dogs, and most dogs grow winter coats and fur in between the pads if they are exposed to it enough. We make our dogs stay out more then usual in the fall to promote the winter fur growth. They LOVE the snow, too!

But smaller dogs...my sister has a daschund and she has a winter coat and boots, and gets cold very easily.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
I'm not sure what the mystery is. You walk the dogs the same way you walk to and from other places. Even if the only walking you do is to and from your car. It helps to wear a hat and warm clothing. For the most part the difference between really cold weather and pleasant weather is that it takes a little longer to get dressed for the cold.
Word.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 PM

People here do 1 of two options:

1) Bundle up in arctic gear

2) Drive to the road to nowhere (we literally have a street called 'Road to Nowhere' with a sign and everything; it goes about 5 km to a sand quarry type thing where city trucks get sand to sand the roads) and walk the dog while driving. I've seen people with dogs on short leashes running beside a truck moving slowly. Yes, this is probably dangerous but it's damned cold here. Some friends of mine have actually taught their chocolate lab to run on the treadmill. He appears to love it.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:30 PM

Passive solar home here at 11,200 feet.

We count on the sun a lot. And some propane. A week at below 0 F starts to make us change our routine. Especially if the sun is occluded. Thatís the big thing.

We also count on our 2 SUVs and my 1976 Chevy plow truck.

When itís under 0, I rarely take the dogs out. They do have their doggie door to do their business during the day.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Most dogs I know here love the cold; we're talking about mostly dogs like labs or one Samoyed or a couple of Clumber Spaniels. The chihuahuas aren't so happy about it, but they survive. Cold and snow=fun for doggies! I see lots of bundled-up people walking their dogs all over town.

Sampiro, I had never lived in a climate like this until I moved here, but unless it's under 15F or so, I do fine. Far better than in heat and humidity. It's all in what you are, or get, used to. It's snowing and is supposed to get up near freezing today and that's going to feel downright warm after the last week!

Last edited by whiterabbit; 12-12-2009 at 09:13 AM..
Old 12-12-2009, 11:43 AM

I am not used to the cold (and doubt I ever will be). I haven't been here in the frozen north for long- this being my second winter here (Kansas- bleh) and previously being from South Carolina then Guam (moving from 80s-90s year round to freaking highs of 16 last week is rough!) and my poor puppy who is an almost 10 year old, 108 pound labrador mix feels the same way.

When it gets cold he goes in the backyard (what little we have, living in a townhouse) and does his business as quickly as possible then comes back in for warm water and to curl up by the fireplace. One thing about the cold weather is that it makes it much easier to keep the yard clean when the poop freezes on impact.

When he really needs a walk, my delicate little flower of a puppy wears his coat (fleece lined, fake leather on the outside) on very cold days or a sweater on just "chilly" days and has been convinced to wear boots in the snow, but he doesn't really like them so mostly it is just warmies when he gets inside (and he does let me know when he wants his water warmed (or iced in the summer).
Old 12-12-2009, 12:16 PM

You walk the little shits. They're dogs, and they'll be fine.

Now, we had a Chow/Shepard mix, so he was pretty damn fluffy anyway, and the great thing about walking your dog in the snow is that they get tired really quickly if you walk on the sidewalk and they cavort in the snowdrift, even if they're still in the puppy-energy phase of life.

That was Eastern Oregon at maybe 5000 feet, so winters got down below zero but the real fact of life was that the rainshadow effect dumped tons of snow on us.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
When itís under 0, I rarely take the dogs out. They do have their doggie door to do their business during the day.
My partner's dog will not foul his home territory and will not defecate in the yard or anywhere on our property. He extends this courtesy to places he visits too, so you can have him play in your yard with your kids and not worry that someone willl step in poop. This means he is always walked.

As PlanB has said, it's no different than the necessary Point A to Point B walks that are required in any other normal day-to-day business. We have to walk to the subway or streetcar, or we have to walk to the corner store, or we have to walk around outside to shovel the walkway. Walking the dog is no different. It's not like we never go outside in the winter.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:52 PM

The other side of the coin, of course, is the situation of people who live in hot climates and have to emerge from the air conditioning when it's 95F out with 98% humidity.

I'm reminded of a resident physician I worked with who told me about being out for a summer walk in the early afternoon in Houston with his wife and child. A police officer driving by stopped to ask if they were all right.
Since he was from Bangladesh, it wasn't much of a problem. But normal people generally don't go for long summer walks in Houston except out of necessity. And I imagine that taking your long-haired dog for an extended hike in such weather would require special preparation.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:44 PM

Weezy starts shivering if he doesn't have a sweater on him when it goes below 40. In the mornings, he'll run around the yard (3ish acres, fenced) and try and see if any of his girlfriends (neighboring dogs) are around. He runs for about ten minutes, pees, and comes back in. In the evenings he's walked 30-45 min. If he's rambunctious, we'll tell him to "run", which means running about 30 feet worth of playroom + hallway until he gets tired.

My mother hates the cold - I pumped gas for her when I was under the legal age limit - but she bundles up to take him out religiously. If the temperatures is in the teens or below, Weezy shivers and doesn't like to be on the walk longer than 10 minutes or so. He's pretty sensitive to weather - he had a small heatstroke this past summer in 80 degree weather.