The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-17-2010, 06:14 PM

Will a cat ever guard or defend it's owner like a dog sometimes will?

Just curious. Will a cat ever guard or physically defend the people it associates with?
Advertisements  
Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 PM

Happened just the other night actually. The cat lady in my area was petting our dog, and one of the street cats tried to attack my dog to protect her.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Here's video proof of cats protecting their owner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zATogM8p3FM

It starts off a little slow, but it's worth it.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 PM

Insane as it sounds, I kind of think our old lady cat was guarding me from the snowplow last winter. I'd be curled up in bed with her, and when the snowplow would go by, she'd go into full-on "Bring it, beeyotch!" mode--up in the window growling, ears pinned back, tail swishing, fur bristling. Then when it got past, she'd get down, lick me a few times, and curl back up facing the window, watching. She completely ignored any other traffic, just like always. She was less aggressive if I was asleep, but I woke up a few times with her standing over and partially on me, the way a mother cat does with kittens, growling under her breath. And, sure enough, the snowplow was going past.

I have no idea what brought all this on--I've had her 10 years and never seen anything of the sort until this past winter.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Our cats will regularly try to protect my wife from things like the garbage truck. They will get between her and the monster and hiss until it goes away in fear.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Our cats will regularly try to protect my wife from things like the garbage truck. They will get between her and the monster and hiss until it goes away in fear.
Wow. My cat runs away if I sneeze.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:26 PM
BANNED

But to me cat don't seem as stupid as dogs when it comes to fights.

I mean my friend used to have a great dane. That thing was over 6 feet tall (when stood up on it's hind legs) and well over 200 pounds. I'd be walking it and little "foo foo" type would come running up and yip and yap it at the great dane. Of course the great dane couldn't be bothered and never really reacted to these tiny dogs, but clearly if the tiny dog bit the great dane he'd fall over on the tiny dog and crush him to death.

But the point is the tiny dogs didn't seem to understand the SIZE of the great dane. They would attack or at least try to prove how tough they were.

Cats on the other hand pretty much understand how big their opponents are. Oh sure a cat will fight when cornered and I've seen many a dog worse for wear in a cat/dog fight but given a choice a cat will run away or up a tree rather than fight something bigger than it.

And cats aren't pack animals. Once their kittens are grown they have no interest really in group dynamics. I know I had a cat when I was younger and a few times it seemed like it was protecting me. You know hissing at people, it probably was that the cat that it was being threatened as well.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

In a previous marriage, we had a Siamese cat that attacked a burglar who broke into our apartment.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

My cat will warn me when people are at the door, people he doesn't know. He also growls sometimes. Not the same as a watchdog, of course.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

They're just protecting their future food supply...

Old 06-17-2010, 11:27 PM

I've related this on the Board before, but it bears repeating.

Our cat Maggie adopted MilliCal as her own kitten, even before she was out of the womb. MilliCal kicked Maggie as the cat was laying on Pepper Mill's pregnant belly, and Maggie backed away in wonder -- and didn't sleep on Pepper Mill's stomach any more.

When MilliCal was born, Maggie watched over her. Sometimes literally, lying atop the ottoman and looking down at MilliCal lying on the flor. If she cried or showed that she needed something, Maggie would come and get one of us.

At night, Maggie jumped into the crib and slept at MilliCal's feet. We put a cover over the crib to prevent this, but Maggie found a way through anyway.

When MilliCal started walking, she really surprisede Maggie, who then started following her around.

Then one day we were all outside, including our two cats, and the neighbor came over with their dog. Maggie got the idea that the dog was attacking her young charge. Her back went up and her hacles rose. The hair on her tail frizzed out, and Maggie charged the dog. You must understand that Maggie was a standard-sized cat, not a big bruiser of a Maine Coon like Midnight was, or Clarence would be. And this was a standard middle-sized dog. He must have outweighed her by a factor of ten. Maggie didn't care. She charged at him, one paw raised with claws out. She chased him up and down the yard, past the startled Midnight (Midnight liked dogs, and wasn't afraid of them, but she wasn't protective of MilliCal like Maggie). Maggie wasn't satisfied until she had chased the dog down the street.

Darn right cats will protect their humans.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Allow me to present the tale of the Attack Cat.

Last edited by Quartz; 06-18-2010 at 12:55 AM..
Old 06-18-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
I mean my friend used to have a great dane. That thing was over 6 feet tall (when stood up on it's hind legs) and well over 200 pounds. I'd be walking it and little "foo foo" type would come running up and yip and yap it at the great dane. Of course the great dane couldn't be bothered and never really reacted to these tiny dogs, but clearly if the tiny dog bit the great dane he'd fall over on the tiny dog and crush him to death.

But the point is the tiny dogs didn't seem to understand the SIZE of the great dane. They would attack or at least try to prove how tough they were.
Your last sentence explains it. Most animal confrontations are not decided by an actual fight, but by one participant intimidating the other into backing down. Thus the aggressive charging and barking of the small dog is their best option -- this display might make the bigger dog back down or just decide it's not worth fighting about (which is basically the only way the smaller dog can 'win' this encounter -- if it gets to an actual physical fight, he'll lose).

So small breeds of animals generally appear more aggressive, while bigger breeds are calmer & quieter. When you're a 6 foot Great Dane or a 3/4 ton draft horse, you don't often have to be aggressive.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Allow me to present the tale of the Attack Cat.
Sweet jumping Jebus that was freaking hysterical! I had to bookmark that!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:25 PM

I seriously doubt if either of our cats would defend us. If we were attacked, they just might wake up, open one eye, and watch the goings-on for a while before dropping back to sleep.

Still'n all, we love them.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:35 PM

My SO had a cat that was hers (or she was his). She was trying to give another cat a pill and it fought back a little. Her cat thought the other cat was attacking her and he went into full attack/kill it mode. Apparently it got pretty scary, bloody, and ugly for everyone involved. Least the vets and doctors made some good money.

Last edited by billfish678; 06-18-2010 at 01:36 PM..
Old 06-18-2010, 04:19 PM
B. O. B. O. D. D. Y.

My cat will defend me. Sometimes I play a game with my pug where I'm on the couch or in bed with a blanket over me, and I go "Oh no! Attack Pug! Ohhhh no! Why?!" and hide under the blanket and flail about in mock distress while the pug happily jumps all over and play-bites the blanket. If the cat's around when this happens, he gets upset. He growls, and if the dog doesn't take heed, he'll jump down and whap the dog repeatedly in the face with his (clawless) paw. He's done this a few times with other games where the dog growls, like intense tug of war, too. He never does this during play. Even if the dog lays down on him or traps him in a corner (these happen daily), he'll just meow for help rather than hitting the dog or getting angry.

I've never heard him growl in any other situation, nor show any aggression towards the dog. He's normally a very mellow, affectionate cat. He really likes the dog and will wrestle with him on the floor, steal his toys so the pug will chase him around, cuddle with him on the couch, and so on. But Attack Pug makes kitty angry. Do not attack the bringer of food!

He seems concerned for my well-being in general. He often brings me offerings. Fortunately, not dead animals, but the dog's toys, or his own toy mice. He is particularly partial to the floppy stuffed animal filled with crinkly-sounding stuff. He will come and lay this at my feet, or leave it in my bed.

Last edited by fluiddruid; 06-18-2010 at 04:22 PM..
Old 06-18-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Cats on the other hand pretty much understand how big their opponents are. Oh sure a cat will fight when cornered and I've seen many a dog worse for wear in a cat/dog fight but given a choice a cat will run away or up a tree rather than fight something bigger than it.

And cats aren't pack animals. Once their kittens are grown they have no interest really in group dynamics. I know I had a cat when I was younger and a few times it seemed like it was protecting me. You know hissing at people, it probably was that the cat that it was being threatened as well.
Tell that to Jack.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:05 PM

I'm sure you can find plenty of anecdotal evidence of cats protecting their owners. I remember reading a story in a cat magazine of a blind cat that attacked and chased an intruder.

The thing is you just can't count on your cat potentially defending you.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:35 PM

My mom's kitteh is part Turkish angora, a breed known as a one-person cat. Sure enough, Kitty K gives special wuv to mom, including purring, kneading and cuddling.

Occasionally, my dad, a stroke survivor with some cognitive problems, will get frustrated, rant and yell. When this happens, Kitty K will go straight to mama's lap, as if to comfort her.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net View Post
Most animal confrontations are not decided by an actual fight, but by one participant intimidating the other into backing down.
Yep, including confrontations between human animals.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:17 AM

I'm pretty sure the wiring is not up to code with our cat's head.

She has the look of utter distain at anyone who enters her domicile.

If her hate filled stare could kill, yes, she'd be the best protector.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:29 AM

This cat just saved it's owners lives, although perhaps it was just trying to save it's own.

Pet cat's loud wailing during house fire leads to lucky escape for couple
Old 06-19-2010, 11:20 AM

Once when I was about 7 or 8 I had done done something to upset my mom and she was coming across the room obviously intent upon tearing my butt off. When out of nowhere did appear between us a twelve pound ball of growling fur, teeth, and claws.

Shocked the hell out of both of us.

But did get me out of my (totally undeserved ) punishment.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:05 PM

My cat Ichabod would defend her territory. She would attack dogs, maintenance workers, etc. Just a smallish, tuxedo kitty with a very bad attitude.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
Tell that to Jack.
that picture is just gold. i had to scroll down to see that tiny thing at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E View Post
... The thing is you just can't count on your cat potentially defending you.
exactly. a cat will defend you of its own free will, perhaps to protect its food bearing minion. a dog will defend you because that's its responsibility; or if it's not up to the job, cower and leave the alpha male to do his.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:59 PM

My cat would never defend me from anything, coward that he is. He cries for me if he even sees a bug. However, I'm sure he would call 911 (if he had thumbs, that is) if anything ever happened to me. One night, very tired, I dramatically collapsed on the floor. He immediately became distressed, yowling and headbutting my face despite my assurances that I was just kidding.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:50 PM

My cat attacked my husband back before we were married. He was tickling me and I was squealing. Cat interpreted it a different way. I broke it up but it was pretty ugly for a minute!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyper View Post
One night, very tired, I dramatically collapsed on the floor. He immediately became distressed, yowling and headbutting my face despite my assurances that I was just kidding.
I do that every few months. The pets give the WTF look and walk around my limp body laying on the floor. Thanks guys!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:48 PM

I have three cats. The Alpha, the Wannabe Alpha and the very, very emo Beta. Beta can be a real pain in the but except for when I am feeling ill. He then turns to trying to comfort me. But he is definitely at his best when Wannabe Alpha decides to test Alpha's ability to maintain the supreme spot.

Alpha is getting old (she's 12 now) and is beginning to slow down and thinks twice before pouncing around so Wannabe senses there will be an opening for the TopCat job. He tries chasing her and wrestling her from here to Kingdom Come. When the fracas begins, Beta just studies what is going on. Then, when the opening appears, he gets all over Wannabe and distracts him from Alpha, which allows her to catch her breath. When the fight is over, Alpha and Beta groom each other and cuddle together, clearly cutting Wannabe out of their circle.

He's so valiant, my Beta. The defender of Alpha's realm. It's really cute.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:07 AM

Before my time, but ... the family had a series of cats named "Daisy".

One of the Daisy-cats would protect the boundary of the yard by chasing stray dogs away.
She did this by dropping down onto their backs and riding them off the property.

an seanchai
Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 PM

No. Cats are the assholes of the animal kingdom.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 PM

Are a lot of these cats really defending "their" humans? Some of the examples seem more like jealousy than protectiveness.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBee View Post
No. Cats are the assholes of the animal kingdom.
Had a bad cat experience when you were a child? One that didn't obey you perhaps?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:35 PM

I'm not sure if they were defending me, or themselves, but last Saturday a bird flew down the chimney into the (cold) furnace.

It banged around on the sheet-metall for about 10 minutes.

All three kitties, even the serious fraidy-cat, surrounded me on the bed, fluffed out like lions. The male stood hissing at the intake vent, and the girls stood on tippy toes next to my legs.

The bird went quiet for about 30 minutes, and they calmed downed. Then the bird started again, eventually finding its way out. I had fluffy kitties for the rest of the afternoon.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:28 AM

A cat's owner? Cats own people, not the other way round.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Rover View Post
Here's video proof of cats protecting their owner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zATogM8p3FM

It starts off a little slow, but it's worth it.
Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling that the parents of that child didn't trust their babysitter?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan astikov View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling that the parents of that child didn't trust their babysitter?
Yeah, that really looks like the proverbial nanny-cam. I wonder how they hid those (assuming they bothered to hide them), atop the crown molding or in an oddly-shaped corner lighting fixture?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

We would sometimes see the cat on the deck, getting intimidated by the neighbor cat. When we opened the deck door to back it up, then it got tougher and and pushier with the intruder.

Here (video) is the cat you want on your side in a fight.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:17 AM

Dogs have owners.

Cats have servants.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
And cats aren't pack animals. Once their kittens are grown they have no interest really in group dynamics.
I don't think this is strictly true. Dogs are, to be fair, more uniform and rigid with their approach to responsibility--Lawful Good, if you will--whereas cats are markedly less so. But anyone who's spent any amount of time in a house with multiple cats will notice an ever-changing pecking order in which dominance is frequently challenged, sometimes daily, and applies separately to different territories in the house. Once the heirarchy is agreed upon, the cats will coexist nicely even if it means a dominant cat sharing his space with a lesser one. Part of that coexistence means shared duties when it comes to protecting the various territories and their contained possessions such as high sleeping locations, fluffy cushions and the sundry wandering food & tummy-rub dispensers. I've actually seen housecats (4 in this particular case) set aside their differences to team up on a neighborhood dog who had wandered into the house. They worked just like a pride of lions, all taking turns alternately lying in wait or launching an ambush to frighten or annoy the intruder. Once the dog left they chilled for a couple hours, liking themselves very much, and then resumed their previous territorial negotiations.

So...yeah. Inasmuch as a cat recognizes a human as a valuable resource they will do what they must to protect it. I've had maybe 8-10 cats that I really got to know well, and out of those, only 3 seemed to show something greater than self-interest when it came to the peoples. All of them were "normal" cats until they reached about 5 years old, around which time they started to act like they recognized they owed a duty of some kind to the rest of the pride.

Last edited by The Great Sun Jester; 06-23-2010 at 10:37 AM..
Old 06-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Concur with Inigo.

Feral cats typically form colonies. I think the impression we have that they're solitary is not very accurate.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Feral cats typically form colonies.
No, no. The colonial powers are running dogs. Let's keep our dialectic straight.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Here (video) is the cat you want on your side in a fight.
I figured that would either be Pinky or Burger and Fries. Since it was Pinky, here's Burger and Fries.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Our cats would watch with mild interest to see if we might get killed so they could come eat our faces, but that's about it.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
I figured that would either be Pinky or Burger and Fries. Since it was Pinky, here's Burger and Fries.
That was a Mitchell and Webb clip. Can we haz the funny kittehz instead?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
That was a Mitchell and Webb clip. Can we haz the funny kittehz instead?
Here is Burger and Fries.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Yeah...damn these fancy computerses and their internets
Old 06-23-2010, 03:19 PM
SDSAB

Do cats play FOOTBALL anyway?
Old 06-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Do cats play FOOTBALL anyway?