The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 08-17-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardling View Post
That, along with my friend who went "OOOH!" when she realized that a non-mounted player can help out with the jousting and who promptly dragged my ass up to help her joust, combined very nicely.
Yup, yet another reason that jousting is deeply stupid. Another player on a jousting mount, even one who's grouped with you, cannot assist when you're jousting at the tournament.* But somebody on the ground can attack the NPC you challenge with no problems. (And this is, in fact, a nice way to get that daily done quickly.)

*More than one person may joust the same target when you're at the camp in front of ICC, though, and people in your group will share kill credit.
Advertisements  
Old 08-17-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot From Guns View Post
Woohoo! When did that happen? I didn't see gchat achievement spam, so it must have been after I went to bed.
Yeah, it happened around 11:30? Somewhere around there. It was (of course) our last attempt on him for the night and I was worried we'd have to wait another reset to do some more work on him again, but thankfully everything clicked on the last attempt. It was extremely gratifying (picture is up on our homepage ), and there were quality nerd-screams in Vent when we saw Fury of Frostmourne hit. Definitely the most gratifying kill in WotLK for me so far.

Can't wait for 25H.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Orzabal View Post
P.S. Cornballah, I owe you another heroic run. Holler anytime.
Heh, no biggie. After you left we wiped about 8 more times. Tried no heals, 2 heals, everything we could think of but it just wouldn't mesh. No one got pissed or blamed anyone. Everyone stayed calm throughout the whole ordeal. The last 2 fights I watched the tank and he just never moved. I don't know all the mechanics of the fight so not sure if a dps/healer can ride the tanking mount but probably would have been a good idea to try as nothing else was working. All in all it was an experience. No complaints.

With Cairne down I'm going to spend a bit reading worldofstrats.com. Have to stop being a newb sooner or later.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:07 PM

DUNGEON NEWS NETWORK INTERRUPTS THIS THREAD TO BRING YOU THE FOLLOWING BREAKING NEWS:

[Dalaran]-Trapper Mau'l of Moa'Ki Harbor, Dragonblight has been arrested on charges of trafficking in juvenile gnoll prostitutes. A source familiar with the investigation says Mau'l bribed innocent adventurers into providing victims for his perverse scheme with grandiose claims of saving the gnoll pups at the generous rate of 5 gold per dozen' Mau'l would then ship them to Origamar, where the pups were forced to perform unspeakable acts at an infamous brothel. It is unknown whether Mau'l has retained an attorney at this time.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Last edited by Oakminster; 08-17-2010 at 10:08 PM..
Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
DUNGEON NEWS NETWORK INTERRUPTS THIS THREAD TO BRING YOU THE FOLLOWING BREAKING NEWS:

[Dalaran]-Trapper Mau'l of Moa'Ki Harbor, Dragonblight has been arrested on charges of trafficking in juvenile gnoll prostitutes. A source familiar with the investigation says Mau'l bribed innocent adventurers into providing victims for his perverse scheme with grandiose claims of saving the gnoll pups at the generous rate of 5 gold per dozen' Mau'l would then ship them to Origamar, where the pups were forced to perform unspeakable acts at an infamous brothel. It is unknown whether Mau'l has retained an attorney at this time.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
*snerk*

Thanks for that. I needed some cheering.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry_pez View Post
I don't know all the mechanics of the fight so not sure if a dps/healer can ride the tanking mount but probably would have been a good idea to try as nothing else was working.
Any player can ride any mount (hence the three "no [color]" achis).

Thanks for the advice on weapons, guys I've bought a rep weapon for now.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardling View Post
That, along with my friend who went "OOOH!" when she realized that a non-mounted player can help out with the jousting and who promptly dragged my ass up to help her joust, combined very nicely.
Yup, yet another reason that jousting is deeply stupid. Another player on a jousting mount, even one who's grouped with you, cannot assist when you're jousting at the tournament.* But somebody on the ground can attack the NPC you challenge with no problems. (And this is, in fact, a nice way to get that daily done quickly.)

*More than one person may joust the same target when you're at the camp in front of ICC, though, and people in your group will share kill credit.
Well that's just dumb. I am going for Valiant on my warlock and after grinding crusader on my pally I have jousting down however last night a poor nelf hunter was struggling so I tried to help but kept getting 'invalid target'. I didn't know I could dismount and help.

Dinged 79 and experienced my first WG last night. It's official it's a lot more fun as a warlock than a Holy pally. I also saw the inside of Halls of Stone for the first time, another great instance in my opinion.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Woo, I'm finally 11/12 ICC-25 Hardmodes. Got a full run in with the guild last night. I've also been tweaking around my gear, getting rid of a couple of sets that I never use and splitting my MaxEH set explicitly into MaxHP and MaxArmor. I want to say I'm running about 49.5k HP and 31k Armor unbuffed in the HP set, and 48.5k HP and 33k Armor in the Armor set. I've got a GM ticket in to swap my 277-T10 legs for the chest, and it's been escalated, so fingers crossed that I come home to find that that's been taken care of, since I had to go back to using the 264 chest for the Armor set.

Of course, now that I have all my hardmode bosses down that I need for the meta, the little voice in the back of my head is screaming, "Hurry up and finish the rest of the achievements so you can get your mount!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
It was (of course) our last attempt on him for the night
You know, those are somehow the best kills of all, when you know this is your last chance and everyone just rallies and buckles down and gets it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry_pez View Post
I don't know all the mechanics of the fight so not sure if a dps/healer can ride the tanking mount
Anybody can ride any mount, and there's no restriction on how many of each kind you can use.

The basic fight mechanics are this:

1.) Ruby drake: Tank, more or less. Has a chain-damage ability that, IIRC, does more damage with each jump, so should be targeted on adds when possible. Has a damage shield and the ability to redirect damage to itself, which should be kept up as much as possible.

2.) Amber drake: DPS. Special ability to use strategically is the time-stop. These should be assigned an order before pulling the boss, one for each enrage (i.e., when Ery starts shouting "Such insolence! Such arrogance!").

3.) Emerald drake: Healer. Needs to be able to alternate between draining life off the boss and funneling it to other drakes.

As far as the fight itself goes:

1.) Stay stacked up. This makes the healer's job a lot easier. Mark one person who knows the fight for everyone else to stack on and follow.

2.) Try to assign time stops before pulling the boss and make sure the Amber riders know when to use them.

3.) Be ready to all move the same way when Ery phases out and summons the explodey orbs of doom. Personally, I like to make a full circuit around the top of the structure, moving right/counter-clockwise. This is usually exactly the right amount of time for Ery to phase back in again, so you avoid the orbs completely and pick up where you left off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martu View Post
Dinged 79 and experienced my first WG last night. It's official it's a lot more fun as a warlock than a Holy pally. I also saw the inside of Halls of Stone for the first time, another great instance in my opinion.
Yay, almost to 80! I personally think you're crazy for liking HoS, but that may be because I really hate the fucking Tribunal. It was a bitch and a half to tank at-level.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
You know, those are somehow the best kills of all, when you know this is your last chance and everyone just rallies and buckles down and gets it done.
Wish I knew that feeling; in my guild "OK guys, last attempt for the night, let's make it good!" seems to be code for "Tank healer, try to die during the pull if you can."
Old 08-18-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Woo, I'm finally 11/12 ICC-25 Hardmodes. Got a full run in with the guild last night. I've also been tweaking around my gear, getting rid of a couple of sets that I never use and splitting my MaxEH set explicitly into MaxHP and MaxArmor. I want to say I'm running about 49.5k HP and 31k Armor unbuffed in the HP set, and 48.5k HP and 33k Armor in the Armor set. I've got a GM ticket in to swap my 277-T10 legs for the chest, and it's been escalated, so fingers crossed that I come home to find that that's been taken care of, since I had to go back to using the 264 chest for the Armor set.

Of course, now that I have all my hardmode bosses down that I need for the meta, the little voice in the back of my head is screaming, "Hurry up and finish the rest of the achievements so you can get your mount!"
If you can, answer your PM on the forums. Also, glad that you got your 11/12H last night (though I'm debating whether or not I should call you out ). I think I'd like to see you DPSing more, because at this point that's the only way you're going to get in our 25-man attempts on Heroic LK. Did you pick up any gear, by the way? I can't remember.

Quote:
Quote:
It was (of course) our last attempt on him for the night
Yeah, it was insanely gratifying. Last ditch effort and we get a kill where everyone survives until the end. I'm still basking in the title's glory. Can't wait to get it on my main this week. "Stradivari, Bane of the Fallen King" just sounds pretty awesome to my ears.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:32 AM

@ aktep:

Yeah, there are nights like that, too.

Last edited by Shot From Guns; 08-18-2010 at 11:33 AM..
Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktep View Post
Quote:
Wish I knew that feeling; in my guild "OK guys, last attempt for the night, let's make it good!" seems to be code for "Tank healer, try to die during the pull if you can."
Ouch. Sorry dude, that's rough. My current guild has a solid tradition of learning a fight, forgetting it halfway through our attempts and having to spend an hour re-learning it, then getting it down when we say it's the last attempt. It's frustrating, and I'm working really hard to get rid of that wasted hour, but it does feel good in the end.

You should recruit new tank healers, IMO.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
If you can, answer your PM on the forums.
Can't get to the guild site from work. If it's something urgent, PM me here instead.

Quote:
Also, glad that you got your 11/12H last night (though I'm debating whether or not I should call you out ).
I'll do it myself: I got the Sindri kill face-down on the floor on the second attempt. Frost bomb fail, though quite honestly I have no idea how, because it looked like I should have been safe by LOS.

Quote:
I think I'd like to see you DPSing more, because at this point that's the only way you're going to get in our 25-man attempts on Heroic LK.
Personally, I'd like to get some more tanking experience in on the other fights. But I get your point.

Quote:
Did you pick up any gear, by the way? I can't remember.
The tanking cloak off BPC, a very nice 2H mace I believe also off BPC (I think it may be one of my pre-LK BIS items for Fury), and Last Word off PP. Also two 264 tokens that no one else needed, which are currently banked 'til I have the badges for the DPS T10 pieces.

Quote:
Yeah, it was insanely gratifying. Last ditch effort and we get a kill where everyone survives until the end. I'm still basking in the title's glory. Can't wait to get it on my main this week. "Stradivari, Bane of the Fallen King" just sounds pretty awesome to my ears.
And good on you, by the way, for being willing to switch out to an alt and miss getting the achievement on Strad right away.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:48 AM

Eh, nothing urgent.

Unchained Magic did give me a chance to laugh at you mid-attempt, which was gratifying.

As for tanking experience, you should think about which fights you're not as comfortable with and focus on those. Otherwise, get practice on heavy movement fights (Blood Prince Council, Professor Putricide) to get used to what's going to be needed from you on Heroic Lich King. Just trying to think ahead.

Cheers on the upgrades; Cryptmaker is pretty boss. And thank you for that. I didn't like having to do it at first, but learning the fight and knowing I can heal it (even being rather severely undergeared for it) is huge. Going to help a lot as we progress on HLK in 25s.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 AM

I saw the laugh. IIRC, I whispered you something insulting. Or possibly sad.

Good point about practicing DPS on movement-intensive fights--that's definitely one of my weak points. I've always been a tank, so the Fury rotation is something I still have to think about, which means my numbers tend to drop anytime I have to pay attention to other things. I've also been used to thinking of my offspec as "what I do to fill the time when I don't need to tank" versus "an essential part of the group on some encounters." Part of the problem has been that my gear was such a mish-mosh of crap that I couldn't contribute a lot; that's starting to change.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:16 PM

Did you whisper something? I didn't catch it; I was too busy being alive and doing my job to notice.

Otherwise, yeah, I definitely think you need to be thinking about your ideal Fury gearset (sans Shadowmourne) and working on your priority system until it's second nature. Absolutely necessary for Val'kyr DPS and going to be huge for transitions as well, as Raging Spirits need to die as fast as possible. I've found it helps to do a lot of Heroics, actually, because things melt in there so you're forced to change targets a lot and shuffle that priority system accordingly. I know you love your insta-queues, but might be worth it.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Did you whisper something? I didn't catch it; I was too busy being alive and doing my job to notice.
Hush, you! And even dead, I was doing my job: watching what the tanks were doing on phase 2.

Quote:
Otherwise, yeah, I definitely think you need to be thinking about your ideal Fury gearset (sans Shadowmourne)
At this point, I don't even care about ideal--I just want "better than what I have now for that slot." A lot of the pieces I need are going to be ones that a bunch of other melee still want, I'm quite sure. Not that I don't often have a tab open to the Fury BiS list, but.

Quote:
and working on your priority system until it's second nature.
Fury does actually have more of a rotation than a priority. BT > WW > BT > Slam (if instant). And I'm usually having to work Sunders in there, too, which usually go in the gaps where Slam isn't procced.

Quote:
I've found it helps to do a lot of Heroics, actually, because things melt in there so you're forced to change targets a lot and shuffle that priority system accordingly. I know you love your insta-queues, but might be worth it.
I've actually done this before, especially when I first got my DPS gear to the point where I switched my offspec from Arms to Fury. The problem lately has been that I've mostly been jamming my Heroic in whenever I have a spare second versus having the time to wait for a DPS queue. (I also hate going in where some stranger is tanking, because I tend to spend the whole run silently fuming about everything they do different from or worse than how I would have. Plus, I've started to run into problems where I have to spend half the run sitting on my ass because otherwise I peel straight off the tank, which isn't terribly conducive to getting comfortable with my rotation.) But on nights when I have more time, I'll try to start queueing as DPS again.

Last edited by Shot From Guns; 08-18-2010 at 12:39 PM..
Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM

At least the one thing I'm getting from this conversation is that getting into a regular raid slot in a competent guild isn't the easiest thing in the world even if you have fair bits of experience in lesser raids. I don't feel so bad about my current raiding lack-of-schedule now.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:22 PM

The best guilds have very stable core groups, so yeah, it's hard to get in. Especially for tanks, IME. Also complicating matters are the fact that to have a stable raiding group, you need to balance between "enough people that you can fill absences and balance necessary classes/specs around various encounters" and "so many people that you have problems gearing them all and half of them spend all their time with their thumbs up their asses."
Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
The best guilds have very stable core groups, so yeah, it's hard to get in. Especially for tanks, IME. Also complicating matters are the fact that to have a stable raiding group, you need to balance between "enough people that you can fill absences and balance necessary classes/specs around various encounters" and "so many people that you have problems gearing them all and half of them spend all their time with their thumbs up their asses."
I'm in the latter, as one of 3-4 regulars sitting on the bench.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:42 PM

As SFG said, raiding guilds usually rely on a core group of people to push through content at a decent clip. Without that, we'd just be a glorified PUG. The biggest recruitment times are around the ends of expansions, as that's when a lot of people lose interest in the content and are looking toward a new expansion to revive their play. So, the guilds that have staying power are the ones that have a solid enough core to keep moving forward even as they're recruiting to fill gaps in their rosters.

If you would like to have a more regular spot, you probably will have to be open to potential server transferring. It always helps to have parses (from World of Logs or WoW Meter Online, etc.) that prove your capability. Otherwise, if you want to get in more for your raid or feel like you're just sitting all the time, you need to confront your raid leaders and ask why or what you need to improve on in order to become better. I know that one of the things we've started doing (and that I've been pushing for) is to make sure that the Trial process is open and honest about the criticism being given, but it's not always as transparent as you might want it to be. There may be a reason why you're regularly sitting and it might be something that you have control over... or, it might not. If you're happy sitting (not sure why you would be, but to each their own), then that's fine. But, if you want more action and a regular raid spot, it's something that you have to earn, and sometimes it's not clear how to do that.

Anyway, the point of my rambling is if you don't like your situation you can fix it, especially right now as tons of guilds are recruiting solid players. But, definitely be discriminating and do everything you can to ensure that it's a guild you want to be a part of, or else you may end up being very unhappy.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I know that one of the things we've started doing (and that I've been pushing for) is to make sure that the Trial process is open and honest about the criticism being given
This was a huge problem at my last guild and one of the things I love about <The Backseat>. Here, every trial member has their own thread where their performance can be discussed--both negative and positive aspects.

Contrast this to <Prototype>, where after being accepted as a full member with no negative feedback (and some positive), I suddenly found myself sidelined for most raids for a month, only to find out after the fact that it was because someone somehow got the impression that I had threat issues. But couldn't give any solid examples or raid logs to demonstrate how they'd gotten that impression. With the result that there were new people who "knew" I was a bad tank, even though they'd never actually, you know, seen me tank. And, of course, when I was given an opportunity to start over again, I tanked the whole night with zero threat issues. But by that point the damage had already been done and I was just ready to get the hell out of there.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Anyway, the point of my rambling is if you don't like your situation you can fix it, especially right now as tons of guilds are recruiting solid players. But, definitely be discriminating and do everything you can to ensure that it's a guild you want to be a part of, or else you may end up being very unhappy.
I'm in the position now where I'm in a guild that's contracted heavily and is populated by several RL friends who are second-tier guild officers. My DPS isn't an issue--rather, it's improving at the rate expected of someone who admitted to having 0 raid experience (even pugs) on their application.

I'm expected to slam into the XP game when Cata comes out and get onto the starting lineup for 10-mans by default, according to my friends--I'm (modestly) one of the faster XPers out there, and with my wife we're a built-in EnhShaman+RetPal leveling duo which is viciously potent. I'm just impatient because I'm at the stage where even every 10-man normal ICC drops something that noticeably improves my DPS.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriel View Post
At least the one thing I'm getting from this conversation is that getting into a regular raid slot in a competent guild isn't the easiest thing in the world even if you have fair bits of experience in lesser raids. I don't feel so bad about my current raiding lack-of-schedule now.
I think this is a misunderstanding that a lot of people have. It's really not all that difficult to get into a high-end guild.

What high-end guilds are looking for is simple. They need someone who is competent, and reliable. You need to show up, you need to push your button and get out of the fire. That's pretty much it, outside of the top 50ish guilds in the world who need players who are capable of developing strategies in addition to that.

Also, most guilds are having a recruitment drive for Cataclysm. So now is the best time to apply, even if your gear is a little behind. Go to: http://www.wowprogress.com/pve/us and look at the recruitment needs of various guilds and throw up some applications. High-end guilds are always looking for talent. And I say this as someone who has been a recruitment officer in a top 10US guild since early TBC until I went casual a few months ago.

Last edited by mil0; 08-18-2010 at 03:44 PM..
Old 08-18-2010, 03:56 PM

Well, I'll be honest, the first people that hit level 85 will probably be getting raid spots at first, but that does not insure that you will keep your raid spot in the future. It will help you out quite a bit if you can earn a raid spot now by doing whatever it is that you need to, so that you have that history of reliable, high-caliber play to help you keep your spot. Just my $0.02. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil0 View Post
And I say this as someone who has been a recruitment officer in a top 10US guild since early TBC until I went casual a few months ago.
I agree with everything else you posted. Do you mind divulging what guild? Either PM or here would be fine. I'm interested in picking your brain, if you don't mind.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:04 PM

Vigil.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:14 PM

Ah, thank you.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
Vigil.
Now you're just creeping me out. :P

I'm originally from Aurora, then I went to Death and Taxes, then I pooped out the idea of a merger between the two and Vigil was formed. I've not played in some time however, and actually looking at my windows 7 clock I see now that it's been EIGHT months since I managed to wean myself off competitive raiding at the beginning of ICC. So the little amount of brain I can offer to be picked, probably isn't at all relevant to raiding today.

Now I log in once or twice a week with
http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/...ting.tier10_10
though, after FFXIV bombs I will probably end up begging for my raid spot back.

Hopefully my GM's opinion on me:
"you want us to be a collapsing shell of a guild so that you can swoop in and save the day in the middle of the night and then vanish in the morning when you're bored?" will have changed by then

Last edited by mil0; 08-18-2010 at 04:29 PM..
Old 08-18-2010, 04:51 PM

I was pretty sure it was Vigil when I read your post because of your earlier slamming of Mal'Ganis. Searching for Vigil brings up a post of yours.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:46 PM

Ding!

Hunter hit 80 a while ago, my 6th and final 80 until Cata.

I've been leveling and instancing as BM, though I'm dual specced as Survival. I'm not all that familiar with the survival rotation, but I could run BM in my sleep by now. Was wondering if any of the hunters in here could give me some advice, stick with BM or go Survival for instances? I'm not too attached to my survival spec and could be talked into going Marksman if that's better.

Here's my Armory:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rne&cn=Arandur

It still has me at 79 right now, but I do have the 245 crafted bracers, 245 badge shoulders, and the ring from regular ToC5 so far. I know stuff isn't enchanted, I'm working on it. Basically this is just for instancing, but I'll probably want to at least pug some raids once I get some better gear. Any advise is appreciated.

Don't even try to talk me out of BM though, you'll have my spirit beasts when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Has anyone here heard of Big Crits on Youtube? It's a reality type show about an end game progression guild. There's some bad language so I wouldn't recommend it at work, but if you're interested just search for it on Youtube. They're up to week 10 and I find it pretty neat to watch. Be prepared for cute doggies in.. week 7, I think.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Kell View Post
Ding!

Grats!

Quote:
Here's my Armory:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rne&cn=Arandur

It still has me at 79 right now, but I do have the 245 crafted bracers, 245 badge shoulders, and the ring from regular ToC5 so far. I know stuff isn't enchanted, I'm working on it. Basically this is just for instancing, but I'll probably want to at least pug some raids once I get some better gear. Any advise is appreciated.
Personally, I'd move points from Revive Pet into Careful Aim -- which can be a huge up to your DPS all things considered. And I'd take a point out of Go for the Throat (most hunters go by the wisdom that 1 point is enough) and put it into Improved Tracking, which is another way to eke out DPS if your pet doesn't run dry of Focus too much.

And I've generally gone the route of taking that point out of Invigoration and putting it into Mend Pet since that has the up of cleansing any debuff. Not having Invig just means aspect switch more often which I don't mind doing, and not having to rez my pet as often because a dot ate it is nice, but YMMV.

You can level your pets to 80 real quick too by grinding mobs in Icecrown -- takes only a few hours of skeletonized carnage. Once you have a ferocity pet at 80, take a peek at how I have my pet Nergal talented (Kutkal, on Borean Tundra). Ignore Kutkal's BM spec, it's optimized for PVP atm.

For glyphs, see Frostheim's guide here for his recommendations. By and large, I agree with them. I find WHU a good hunter resource in general as well.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:08 PM

Wolkie (Level 75 Human Alliance Warrior) is having trouble with "Conversing with the depths" quest. Looked at Thottbot, stood right on top of where the pearl is supposed to be, (a mountain? an island?), but nothing. i can't see a thing. Do I need to dive or what?

Thanks

Q
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Wolkie (Level 75 Human Alliance Warrior) is having trouble with "Conversing with the depths" quest. Looked at Thottbot, stood right on top of where the pearl is supposed to be, (a mountain? an island?), but nothing. i can't see a thing. Do I need to dive or what?
WowHead is a bit more helpful than Thottbot here:

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=12032

Swim out to the island just off the coast and follow the trail up the mountain.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 PM

Thanks, Mr. Rik!

Note to jayjay: I accidentally kicked you out of the guild. It was totally unintentional and happened as I was "thinning the herd" of folks who hadn't been on in 3 months. Sorry!

Q
Old 08-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

I spent almost all day playing Jabloo, my troll hunter in BDL. He tamed himself a wolf* pet outside Thunderlord Stronghold in Blade's Edge Mountains, then quested until he dinged level 70

Then it was time, of course, to train Artisan Riding, but alas, he was a few hundred points away from Exalted with Orgrimmar, and I wanted the Exalted rep to get the full discount on the training. I figured I could get the rep with some runecloth turn-ins, but there were only seven stacks for sale at a price I was willing to pay (7-8g). The rest of the stacks on the AH were priced at 25-28g/stack**, and I wasn't interested in paying 300g+ for runecloth to save 250g on Artisan Riding training. So ... off Jabloo went to locate some low-level quests that would give Org rep.

He found a couple centaur-killing quests just outside the Crossroads, but those still left him 109 points short of Exalted. So he headed to Splintertree Post in Ashenvale and picked up that quest to kill the two demon dreadlords. He killed the first one (the one out in the open), though he had to wait for it to respawn since somebody had been there just before him. Then he went after the second one (the one in the barrow den) and encountered the person who had probably killed the other one right before Jabloo did. So I sent a whisper and asked this person if they were going after the demon, and offered to group. The other person agreed, and I said, "I didn't want to just run in and steal your kill", and he said, "Eh, you're a guildie - I'd just laugh at you". I did a double-take, and saw this other player was Anleroth, who is indeed a BDL member (Rahuul's alt). So together we located the demon and I one-shotted him, and we both got credit. I turned in the quest, and hit Exalted. Hearthed back to Outland, got my Artisan Riding training and purchased a swift windrider at Thrallmar. Then it was back to Org to hop a zeppelin to Warsong Hold, locate the mailbox, log out, log in Keliraeda (my level 80 belf paladin with much gold and nothing to spend it on), purchase a Tome of Cold Weather Flying, mail it to Jabloo, log Jabloo back in, collect Tome, learn to fly in the cold, and then call it a night.

I had planned to keep Jabloo in Outland long enough to play through the Nagrand quest chain that brings Thrall to Garadar, but ran into a brick wall with some elites he couldn't solo, so decided to level up a bit and then come back to it (I never did the quest chain on Keliraeda). So it was a bit annoying to leave Garrosh sulking in Garadar, only to find him arrogantly insulting me in Warsong Hold (Okay, I already knew he'd be there, but still ...)

I also just discovered there is a Burning Dog Legion guild over on the Thunderhorn server.

* I've been switching back and forth between Tenacity and Ferocity pets, and every time I switch to Ferocity it takes me forever to relearn the appropriate aggro management, since Ferocity pets don't hold aggro as well. I was getting extremely annoyed with how, every time Jabloo's opening Arcane Shot critted, the mob would abandon my pet and come after me.

** Is the Horde population on Cairne really that small? Because the Horde AH house is a wasteland. I'm always going shopping for some "essential" item/mat, only to find it extremely scarce and horribly overpriced.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
I spent almost all day playing Jabloo, my troll hunter in BDL. He tamed himself a wolf* pet outside Thunderlord Stronghold in Blade's Edge Mountains, then quested until he dinged level 70

Then it was time, of course, to train Artisan Riding, but alas, he was a few hundred points away from Exalted with Orgrimmar, and I wanted the Exalted rep to get the full discount on the training. I figured I could get the rep with some runecloth turn-ins, but there were only seven stacks for sale at a price I was willing to pay (7-8g). The rest of the stacks on the AH were priced at 25-28g/stack**, and I wasn't interested in paying 300g+ for runecloth to save 250g on Artisan Riding training. So ... off Jabloo went to locate some low-level quests that would give Org rep.

He found a couple centaur-killing quests just outside the Crossroads, but those still left him 109 points short of Exalted. So he headed to Splintertree Post in Ashenvale and picked up that quest to kill the two demon dreadlords. He killed the first one (the one out in the open), though he had to wait for it to respawn since somebody had been there just before him. Then he went after the second one (the one in the barrow den) and encountered the person who had probably killed the other one right before Jabloo did. So I sent a whisper and asked this person if they were going after the demon, and offered to group. The other person agreed, and I said, "I didn't want to just run in and steal your kill", and he said, "Eh, you're a guildie - I'd just laugh at you". I did a double-take, and saw this other player was Anleroth, who is indeed a BDL member (Rahuul's alt). So together we located the demon and I one-shotted him, and we both got credit. I turned in the quest, and hit Exalted. Hearthed back to Outland, got my Artisan Riding training and purchased a swift windrider at Thrallmar. Then it was back to Org to hop a zeppelin to Warsong Hold, locate the mailbox, log out, log in Keliraeda (my level 80 belf paladin with much gold and nothing to spend it on), purchase a Tome of Cold Weather Flying, mail it to Jabloo, log Jabloo back in, collect Tome, learn to fly in the cold, and then call it a night.
I was cracking up the whole time, since I knew Rill and Mori had tried to recruit you just a short time before that for their Wednesday night alt run. I was shocked and amused when you didn't see my guild tag. Fun though, and the easiest quest XP of the night for me. ;D
Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil0 View Post
Quote:
Vigil.
Now you're just creeping me out. :P

I'm originally from Aurora, then I went to Death and Taxes, then I pooped out the idea of a merger between the two and Vigil was formed. I've not played in some time however, and actually looking at my windows 7 clock I see now that it's been EIGHT months since I managed to wean myself off competitive raiding at the beginning of ICC. So the little amount of brain I can offer to be picked, probably isn't at all relevant to raiding today.

Now I log in once or twice a week with
http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/...ting.tier10_10
though, after FFXIV bombs I will probably end up begging for my raid spot back.

Hopefully my GM's opinion on me:
"you want us to be a collapsing shell of a guild so that you can swoop in and save the day in the middle of the night and then vanish in the morning when you're bored?" will have changed by then
I was more interested in ideas you had about recruiting, particularly in attracting and keeping high quality players in hard recruitment times (such as the end of an expansion). I can PM you about it if you'd prefer to discuss it there.

FFXIV does look interesting, but I can't handle two MMOs at the same time. Good luck in changing your GM's opinion; I'm sure there's an interesting story behind that.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Since Jabloo was busy getting his rep/flyer, my tank Rillian and Mordin decided to quest together instead of running UK for, like, the sixth week in a row. So we went to Warsong Hold and did all the quests there instead. I realized I don't have Cold Weather Flying on Rill, but I'm not sure I'll bother with it since Mord doesn't have enough money on the server to get it anyway and we'll only ever be grouped together. Levelling with a prot pally and holy priest is lolcakes - we never come close to dying - but killing stuff is slow since neither of us do much damage. Again, though, I don't care to spend my money on a second spec for this toon.

I did run a couple randoms on my other pally Keyne and picked up enough Triumphs to get the Talisman of Resurgence trinket (which gave me the Superior achieve). Also, I upgraded my shield in H-HoS, which is nice since that damn shield in PoS never drops. Just need to step up collecting Arcane Dust so I can get some more enchants.

Shin -- if you need chants for your hunter let me know. Although I might not be online until Saturday; my in-laws are taking the kids Friday night and I think my wife would be a bit peeved if I played WoW on a rare night that she and I could actually go out on a date.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Kell View Post
Congrats!

Quote:
Is the Horde population on Cairne really that small? Because the Horde AH house is a wasteland. I'm always going shopping for some "essential" item/mat, only to find it extremely scarce and horribly overpriced.
Based on the AH, yeah, that's the impression I've gotten, too.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
** Is the Horde population on Cairne really that small? Because the Horde AH house is a wasteland. I'm always going shopping for some "essential" item/mat, only to find it extremely scarce and horribly overpriced.
Quote:
That's also evidenced by our anemic performances in Wintergrasp. It's pretty uncommon for us to be holding WG, to the point where I rarely get to do any VoA runs.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRx1981 View Post
I was cracking up the whole time, since I knew Rill and Mori had tried to recruit you just a short time before that for their Wednesday night alt run. I was shocked and amused when you didn't see my guild tag. Fun though, and the easiest quest XP of the night for me. ;D
Well, see, I have display of my own name and friendly player names turned off in my settings, because otherwise places like Dalaran, Stormwind, or Orgrimmar are walls of annoying blue text. So I would only have seen your guild tag in the tooltip while my mouse was over your toon, and I didn't happen to glance at the tooltip when I clicked on you to whisper at you.

Also, displaying only "enemy" names also gives me instant warning that a hostile or potential hostile is in the area - even at a distance - without needing to interpret silhouettes.

Quote:
Quote:
Is the Horde population on Cairne really that small? Because the Horde AH house is a wasteland. I'm always going shopping for some "essential" item/mat, only to find it extremely scarce and horribly overpriced.
My lvl 80 human paladin on Lightbringer, when she's running low on Dragonfin Filet and doesn't feel like going fishing, is flush enough with gold that I just take her to the AH and buy a couple stacks of Dragonfin Angelfish for the 40g or so people are asking. Keliraeda, my level 80 belf pally on Cairne, who is even more flush with gold, goes to the AH and maybe finds one or two stacks of Dragonfin Angelfish, often priced close to 100g/stack. That's if there are full stacks - more often there will just be partial stacks. And so she has to go fishing for herself for a fish that is available from exactly one small body of water in all of Northrend, and that one body of water is filled with and surrounded by hostile mobs that have to be killed or avoided.

Dragonfin Angelfish is the Crystallized Fire of the Fishing profession.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:21 PM

The other day, I twinked up my little hunter with the heirloom stuff--chest/shoulders/weapon. I like the gear, but not so sure I like the look. For hunters, the shoulder piece shows on only one side---and it happens to be the right side, meaning my dwarf appears to be left handed....it's sorta jarring to look at him, whether on the login screen or otherwise, toting his fancy ass heirloom gun in the wrong hand. Really wish they'd given him a more normal looking set of shoulderpads, or at least let him be right handed....
Old 08-19-2010, 12:37 PM

They did. It's called the Prized Beastmaster's Mantle.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

What is the conventional wisdom on what to do at level 68? Should I buy WotLK and skip the rest of Outlands, or keep on plugging? So far, I've been enjoying the Outlands and finished up the Honor Hold area and Zangamarsh, with about half of Terokar (?) to go. Does the content stay good? I'm a fury warrior; are there any can't-be-missed quest rewards here? Note that I'm not doing dungeons, so my gear isn't super spiffy: just random drops, rewards, and crafted plate.

I'm starting to get quest rewards that have sockets in them. So far, nothing has been better than my fel iron plate outfit, though. Does a gem have to say in the description that it fits a socket in order to be used? I have a bazillion gems from mining just sitting around.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril View Post
What is the conventional wisdom on what to do at level 68? Should I buy WotLK and skip the rest of Outlands, or keep on plugging? So far, I've been enjoying the Outlands and finished up the Honor Hold area and Zangamarsh, with about half of Terokar (?) to go. Does the content stay good? I'm a fury warrior; are there any can't-be-missed quest rewards here? Note that I'm not doing dungeons, so my gear isn't super spiffy: just random drops, rewards, and crafted plate.
This depends to some degree - if you're enjoying the Outlands zones, by all means stay in them. But in terms of getting the best gear and most xp, you should go to Northrend as fast as possible. The gear you will get in Northrend is enough better than Outlands gear that you won't pick up anything that you will keep for any length of time once you hit Northrend.

The later Outlands zones (Shadowmoon Valley and Nether Storm) tend to be pretty deserted, since most people just skip straight to Northrend.

Quote:
I'm starting to get quest rewards that have sockets in them. So far, nothing has been better than my fel iron plate outfit, though. Does a gem have to say in the description that it fits a socket in order to be used? I have a bazillion gems from mining just sitting around.
Gems that you picked up from mining don't do you any good - you need to get them cut by a jewelcrafter (or buy them from the Auction House), after which they will give you a small bonus based on the gem color and cut. Generally speaking, your best bet if you want to max out your stats without paying too much money is to buy green (uncommon) Northrend gems, which are available cut on the AH for 5 to 10 gold each.

Last edited by Tom Scud; 08-19-2010 at 12:50 PM..
Old 08-19-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril View Post
Presuming your goal is to get to 80, go to Northrend. The gear you get from the initial quests easily outstrip anything you can get in Outland except for the real high-end level 70 stuff. You'll get more XP and can level faster. It basically renders end-game Outland obsolete.

Presuming your goal is to enjoy Outland and see as much of it as possible, keep doing what you're doing.

Last edited by Bosstone; 08-19-2010 at 12:51 PM..
Old 08-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Mithril, the gems you get from mining will have to be cut by a Jewelcrafter before you can put them on your gear. You can get cut gems from some vendors, I think, and from the AH.

Any color gem can go in any socket (except a meta socket), but you will need to match the colors to get the "socket bonus" for the item. The bonuses are not usually worth it, but YMMV. I'm not sure what stats you want to gem for as a fury warrior; I would think +hit and then +strength but that's a guess.

There are a lot of cool quests and lore in the rest of Outland; you haven't even seen half of it yet. But most people do go to Northrend at 68 -- the xp and rewards are better. But it's totally up to what you want to do.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
They did. It's called the Prized Beastmaster's Mantle.
I think that's what I bought. Tried to check via armory, but it can't find my hunter. Wonder is toons below level 20 are not included in the armory?

In any event, the armor I bought was the pieces sold by the vendor upstairs from the portals, near where you enter WG. Off the top of my head, I think it has Agility, Stamina, and Intelligence on it. The gun came from the vendor in WG. Upgraded dwarven hand cannon, I think it is called. Looks like a really nice double-barrelled shotgun.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:33 PM

From what I can recall, the WG hunter shoulders cover both shoulders and each has a big tooth-spike looking thing jutting from it. All the WG shoulder heirlooms look just like the level 60 D1 set shoulders, I think, and they all have more stamina than the PVE heirloom shoulders sold in Dalaran, plus some resilience. The PVE heirloom items sold in Dalaran and the Argent Tourney (same items, different currency to buy them) look like some signature PVE pieces from classic WoW (for instance, the hunter mail shoulders that you bought are the same graphic as the mail shoulders dropped by the boss in the SM Armory wing).

It's similar to the heirloom quests in EQ2 (wherein each awarded you an updated version of some signature loot from EQ1).