The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-25-2010, 03:31 PM

I went with my girlfriend to see Independance Day I wanted to walk out but she was enjoying it. Hate that damn movie!
Advertisements  
Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 PM

I can't remember ever walking out of a movie, but I did fall asleep during the Ralph Bakshi version of Lord of the Rings.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Walked out of Showgirls and some French pieceashit called Romance.

Wish I'd walked out on Magnolia, There Will Be Blood, Kill Bill Vol. 2 and both Grindhouse flicks.

Last edited by woodstockbirdybird; 08-25-2010 at 05:47 PM..
Old 08-25-2010, 05:49 PM

For various reasons--mostly involving being with my friends--I've never actually walked out on a movie. There've been three that I would've walked out on under other circumstances; two of the three I've gotten up and left the hall to wander around the halls of the theatre or to smoke a cigarette before coming back to endure the rest of it.

Jason X: Smoked a cigarette halfway through. Never actually would've went to this one, but had some friend who so urgently wanted to see it that he paid for me and another friend to come with.

Jurassic Park 2: So bad. So, so bad. I suffered through the whole damn thing; I was in high school and with my friends. So bad.

The Expendables
: Sure it had its moments, but... not nearly enough of them. Didn't help that we had to sit through a good 30-40 minutes of commercials/previews before the movie started. I got up and wandered around the halls several times just to stretch my back and get away from the horrible writing.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 PM

This is coming from a person who doesn't see many movies in theaters, maybe six a year.

Wished I Walked Out Of:
The Simpson's Movie, Men in Black II, Australia, The Descent, Aliens vs. Predator 2, You Don't Mess with the Zohan. The pees I took afterward were far more entertaining. Not to mention that the night when we went to see Zohan, my house got broken into so I regret that movie twice as much now.

Walked Out Of: None...yet. If I wasn't with a family that had paid for my ticket, I totally would've walked out of Australia 2/3 into the movie.

Last edited by nikonikosuru; 08-25-2010 at 10:57 PM..
Old 08-25-2010, 11:28 PM

Just this weekend my son (8) talked me into taking him to The Last Airbender. I'd heard the bad reviews but I thought at worst I'd just fall asleep.

Ten minutes into the movie I was so angry I couldn't doze. We loved the tv series and the only thing that could account for the movie is that Shyamalan decided to strip out anything that made the series entertaining for fear he might make a good movie.

My son wanted to stick it out, so I was there to the bitter, bitter end. To date, this is the only movie in my life I would have walked out on.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:57 AM

I've never walked out of a movie theater, but I have turned rentals off part way through viewing them. The last one that sticks out in my mind was There Will Be Blood. God what a boring clusterfuck of a movie!

I wish I'd walked out of Clash of the Titans. It wasn't that exciting, Sam-Worthington-With-The-Space-Marine-Haircut was not a good match for a demigod, the action was slow and plodding, Liam Neeson's anime armor was annoying, and WTF was up with the talking tree dudes?

I was highly annoyed by 300, although I did watch it all the way through. I'm just used to watching quality period pieces, and I had to keep telling myself it was based off a comic book graphic novel and not even close to historically accurate.*

I've tried, but I just can't enjoy any Quentin Tarantino movie. They suck and he sucks. I probably shouldn't have seen Downfall, then Inglorious Basterds. It was like going from homemade delicious burgers to White Castle sliders salvaged from a dumpster during a nice 100 heatwave.

I'd heard stories about how bad Uwe Boll movies are, but when I saw In The Name Of The King* I knew that anything he directs should be shunned, then burned, then urinated on to douse the flames.

Last edited by EvilTOJ; 08-26-2010 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: *Seriously, ninjas? NINJAS! Oh come on!!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonikosuru View Post
Walked Out Of: None...yet. If I wasn't with a family that had paid for my ticket, I totally would've walked out of Australia 2/3 into the movie.
Oh! I forgot I walked out on Australia. What a boring movie!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:18 AM

The remake of the The Out-of-Towners. Steve Martin and John Cleese - just cue up the funny, right?

Not so much.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 AM
SDSAB

filling_pages, what happens in the water bottle scene? Spoiler it if you want.

I stopped my borrowed DVD of Napoleon Dynamite after about 15 minutes and later started a thread about. Ah, here it is: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=369622

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 08-26-2010 at 10:17 AM..
Old 08-26-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Oh! I forgot I walked out on Australia. What a boring movie!
I envy you that you had that option! I kept looking over to the people with me wondering if they were as bored as I was (no luck.) I seriously thought it was over two hours in, everything seemed resolved so it looked like a good place to end it. But it dragged on for another hour! I was pissed. It was like a boring romance novel aimed for middle aged women.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
Caligula is the only movie I've walked out of the theater on -- the list of movies I've ejected from the DVD player after 10 minutes is much, much longer.

Can't think of any I wish I'd walked on.
Twin, this is the movie I came to say I wish I'd walked out on! But I never walk out when I've paid for a film.

One year I won a year long pass to all the theaters in town, and during that year I did walk out a couple of times. But the movies were so bad I don't remember what they were!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:18 AM

I wish I walked out on Batman and Robin.

Yeah, I know a lot of people wished that, I'm not alone in that department, but my experience was a little bit worse than just about everyone else's. I had some friends who really wanted to see it, and I warned them all how bad it was, but they still wanted to see it. We went to the theater, and it was packed with people for some reason -- a lot of masochists, I imagine. Things went from bad to worse when the movie wouldn't start for 20 minutes, full house plus no movie is a good way to have pandemonium. Fortunately for us, someone who worked there was about to go to a school of the arts on a singing scholarship or something. One of her coworkers introduced her, then she came out and warbled something from Gilberts and Sullivan. It wasn't horrible per se, but it didn't really fit with the "I have to go see Batman and Robin" crowd. Despite that, she got a nice round of applause and a few minutes later the movie started.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
filling_pages, what happens in the water bottle scene? Spoiler it if you want.
It was in the commercials, which makes it even funnier to me that this couple found it too much, so I won't spoiler it. The whole plot (so much as John Waters deals with plot) is that there's a neighborhood of regular people. Some are staunchly anti-sex. One, played by Tracy Ullman, gets hit on the head, causing her to suddenly become extra super sexual. In the scene in question, she is visiting her mother-in-law (I think) in a retirement home. During the course of playing the Hoky Poky, she wiggles out of her panties and picks up a water bottle with her lady bits in front of everybody. I guess it was just the final straw for the couple, but it's actually a fairly mellow movie for Waters. God forbid they ever see Desperate Living.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 AM
SDSAB

OK, thanks. Don't think I'll be rushing out to see that movie....
Old 08-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
OK, thanks. Don't think I'll be rushing out to see that movie....
To be fair, you don't actually see any nudity. I just can't imagine going to an NC-17 Waters movie and not expecting, you know, kinkiness and perversion (in the best way). Maybe all they knew about him was from the Broadway version of Hairspray.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:18 PM

Before my ex-gf went psycho, she drove us to and paid for us to see Bruce Almighty because she wanted us to do things she wanted to do. I should have walked out on both of them right there, but I didn't. Dumb mistake.

I wanted to turn off District 9 because of the camera shaking, but I stuck with it because I heard so much about it. Should have saved those 2 hours of my life, because it just got worse as time went by.

We had a movie night once this past summer at my friend's house because her son was home from school. A different friend picked the movie Superbad because he was singing its praises all evening. The child is 15 and never swears. After (I think) about 15 minutes with nothing but dialogue about rubbers, fucking and beer, the boy says "why the fuck are we watching this?" His mom was sort of shocked, but I just replied "I don't fucking know, but I am fucking out of here." And left.

The friend was also the same guy I got District 9 from. I don't think I'll be borrowing his movies anytime in the near future.

I should have walked out of Eyes Wide Shut, but I wanted to see how they finished Kubrick's last film. Did not like it.

I normally like Tarentino, but somebody gave me a copy of Kill Bill I as a gift. After I watched it, I took it to the guy at the video store I know and he gave me store credit to buy something else. That was just pointless violence.

Last edited by Uncle Brother Walker; 08-27-2010 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Well, I still call 15 a child... and please don't correct my grammar.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:22 PM

Happily bailed on: The Matrix: Reloaded, Scarface (didn't make it past the chainsaw scene) and Eyes Wide Shut.

Wish I'd left: Starship Troopers, all the Star Wars movies except the first two, Syriana, Magnolia, ...and some movie I've blocked the name of where one of the Arquettes ritually washes the dead.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:03 AM

Walked out of Ghost Town about 20 or 30 minutes in, though I admittedly laughed at a few parts before I did. (Also, I can totally relate to Greg Kinnear constantly fiddling with the Blackberry just in case he can get a signal with it, now that I have one.)

Basically, I don't like awkward comedy, and a movie where one guy in all of New York can see and hear ghosts and nobody else can seemed set to be a sure formula for it, so I put up with how little of it I could, then spent the next hour playing on the computers in the Apple store waiting for my friends to finish the film.

The worst part about it was I had to spend the first half of dinner afterwards with all of my friends trying to convince me to endure that again, because obviously I left right before it got good!
Old 08-28-2010, 12:51 AM

50 First Dates. BLECH.

WISH I'd have walked out on "Back to the Barnyard". Totally misleading trailer it looked like a funny Madagascar type kids movie. It was NOT.

I can't remember why I stayed, friends we were with maybe.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitycrash View Post
I went to see As Good As It Gets because of the advice of a coworker: "Best movie evar."

No it's not. Not even close.

It wasn't horrible but I never took his advice again.
OH Lord, I forgot about that one. Walked out on that one too. I did think it was a horrible movie. About the time the guy licks Helen Hunts face after, (or was it before) her sick son pukes on her, and she's STILL thinking about how to get him into bed in her curtained off bedroom area, with her mother in earshot? It wasn't too long after that that we looked at each other and said "you ready"? And out we went.

Good God. Seriously? PUKE indeed.

I just do not get the whole "I know! let's have a movie about weird unlikable people who, in real life, you wouldn't give the time of day to. And THEN? We'll have them do weird stupid things that, if you saw them do it in real life, you'd run screaming".

The guy with the cute dog was the only halfway decent person in the whole movie, and barely that.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonikosuru View Post

My boyfriend's great-aunt took us out to see that movie. She paid for the tickets, bought us snacks ... it was all her treat. And we all conferred with each other in whispers and agreed that we didn't care to stick around and see the ending.

Aside from that, I've walked out on P.S. I Love You and Eat, Pray, Love. Probably others as well, I'm not one to stay if it's not gripping me.

I wanted to walk out of Spanglish, but my friend wanted to see the end, so I just pulled out my phone and texted for the last 20 minutes of it.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 PM

I've only walked out one one: Bad Santa

I wish I had walked out on Tropic Thunder and The Book of Eli.

The first was simply disgusting and unfunny. The second was deus ex machina'd to the extreme. Dreck.