The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoorex View Post
So you're saying that women are easily deceived and can't help but offer themselves to pretty much any guy if they fall for some sort of scam? I am offended by your lack of respect for women.
No. That's not what he said, and clearly has absolutely nothing to do with what he said. Did you actually watch the ad in question?
Advertisements  
Old 02-19-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaqui View Post
No. That's not what he said, and clearly has absolutely nothing to do with what he said. Did you actually watch the ad in question?

I did and I came to a different conclusion. I didn't see anything resembling rape. Different strokes I guess.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 PM

The news Arby's "Good Mood Food" commercial.

Douchebag guy singer: Caaaaatttt people, daaaawwwwwwgggg people.

Women standing next to airport metal detector, hands up, getting searched: We all look the same way nude.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji View Post
I thought of this thread last night when I saw that McDonald's commercial with the two odd people doing some sort of synchronized table thumping. WTF indeed.
I'm generally not fazed by mind-blowingly inane commercials anymore, but this one completely confounds me. I can only assume that the table-thumpers are friends of the McDonald's CEO and the commercial was their wedding gift.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:12 AM

The music in the table-thumpers commercial just makes it worse. "Is there chocolate? Is there whipped cream?"
It's as if McDonald's is saying, "Seriously, is there? We have no idea what the hell we're selling here."
Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Those two brats pushing the Pillsbury Toaster Strudels. I don't know who is worse, the gloating pusher or the pig who grabs half of it.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 03-16-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Go Tribe!

Beyond all others: The Kia commercials with the hip-hop hamsters. Message: "Our target market is inner-city hoodie-wearing rappers and guys whose sole function in life is saying 'ungh -- c'mon'."

Just who are these rodents supposed to represent?

I thought so.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Apparently you have decided to go with "that".
Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
Beyond all others: The Kia commercials with the hip-hop hamsters. Message: "Our target market is inner-city hoodie-wearing rappers and guys whose sole function in life is saying 'ungh -- c'mon'."

I thought so.
I love the hamster commercials. I always bop along with them.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Groupon is pulling its Super Bowl ads. Guess they got tired of people asking WTF.
What were those commercials? All I see is an explanation that they didn't realize it would be offensive. I don't even know what "Groupon" is.

My current notice: the Virgin Mobile commercial where they are advertising their "crazy" speeds by showing a girl in obsessive stalker mode, camped out in a tree overlooking her new date's bedroom and talking about how her lightning fast phone speeds allow her to spy on him more efficiently. A second one has her hiding in his bedroom closet. Yep, that's right, a smartphone service advertising that their product is aimed at stalkers who use social media to harass their victims. SCORE!
Old 03-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post

I thought so.
I love that song. I even went and bought the mp3 after having been reminded of it by that commercial.

I have no idea how it's supposed to get me to buy a car though.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

I've seen commercials for toilet bowl cleaners from Lysol and other companies arguing that their product is necessary to deal with the danger of germs. But we're talking about a toilet bowl. Even if it's completely sterile and contains only distilled water after I've cleaned it, it's going to be really gross as soon as it's used. So who cares if there are germs there?

Another weird one is the commercial I saw last night for NYSE Euronext, pointing out that Motorola trades on the NYSE. Presumably they're suggesting that the next time I'm contemplating taking my company public, I should do so on the NYSE instead of the NASDAQ. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Hardees has the stupidest rhyme in the world in their current ad campaign-they rhyme the word "food" with "food". Since that ad is a terminal earworm I'm not about to go to Youtube and listen to it just to get the exact quote.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
What were those commercials? All I see is an explanation that they didn't realize it would be offensive. I don't even know what "Groupon" is.
I found an article about it with the video of one embedded:
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...115480369.html

For me, the one that bugs me the most is this State Farm ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zut4jv2pHWY

"Call our agents! We'll talk over you and never let you get a word in edgewise!"
Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
My current notice: the Virgin Mobile commercial where they are advertising their "crazy" speeds by showing a girl in obsessive stalker mode, camped out in a tree overlooking her new date's bedroom and talking about how her lightning fast phone speeds allow her to spy on him more efficiently. A second one has her hiding in his bedroom closet. Yep, that's right, a smartphone service advertising that their product is aimed at stalkers who use social media to harass their victims. SCORE!
I love those! They certainly don't make me want to buy the product, but they're creepily fun!
Need to dispose of a body? There's an app for that!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
Hardees has the stupidest rhyme in the world in their current ad campaign-they rhyme the word "food" with "food". Since that ad is a terminal earworm I'm not about to go to Youtube and listen to it just to get the exact quote.
Are you sure that's not the Arby's commercial that I posted about above:

Quote:
Douchebag guy singer: Caaaaatttt people, daaaawwwwwwgggg people.

Woman standing next to airport metal detector, hands up, getting searched: We all look the same way nude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzz0wY2Vobk
Old 03-17-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I've seen commercials for toilet bowl cleaners from Lysol and other companies arguing that their product is necessary to deal with the danger of germs. But we're talking about a toilet bowl. Even if it's completely sterile and contains only distilled water after I've cleaned it, it's going to be really gross as soon as it's used. So who cares if there are germs there?
I have the same issue with the commercials that tell you you need one of those touchless soap dispensers. Because you don't want your kids to get germs on their hands ... which they're about to wash anyways.

It's especially annoying because there's a perfectly believable alternate reason to have one of those - so that your kids don't get all the gross messy goop that's on their hands all over the soap container and sink. But they never use that angle.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
I did and I came to a different conclusion. I didn't see anything resembling rape. Different strokes I guess.
If you have an identical twin brother with a wife or girlfriend, and you pretend to be your brother in order to have sex with her, you are committing rape no matter how enthusiastic she is. The principle is pretty simple.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

The thing I like best about the Hamsters commercials is that at the very beginning they show a street sign that reads "Hamsterdam." I prefer to think that was an intentional shout-out to The Wire.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
If you have an identical twin brother with a wife or girlfriend, and you pretend to be your brother in order to have sex with her, you are committing rape no matter how enthusiastic she is. The principle is pretty simple.
While I absolutely hate the commercial in question and anything else that essentially glorifies the use of deceit to get laid, but I also fail to see where this becomes rape.

Is there a law somewhere that actually defines rape to include sex that is consentual, but only because the woman was misinformed?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
No, I still think the lamest rhyme is a Ford ad rhyming "Texas" with "message". This may be regional, however.

"Just look around and you'll get the message,
Ford is the best in Texas!"

NOO, it has to be "Tessage", dammit! I don't know where Tessage is, but that's the place that rhymes with message.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:06 PM

Okay, there are definitely some bad commercials here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E View Post
My boyfriend pointed out a Red Bull commercial where teen confesses to a priest that he's been with a loose woman. The priest then starts naming some women and asking it it was her. The kid leaves and tells another teen waiting outside that he's got a couple leads. I guess the moral is that Red Bull helps you have promiscuous sex.
That's actually an old joke. So not only are they saying their product helps you score, they're not even original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
More disturbing than the bear gettin' it on with his toilet paper is the fact that Charmin apparently assumes people are going to be swatting at the toilet paper roll with soaking wet hands.
Actually, they're assuming people are going to have to deal with wetness in their bottom area - whether from poop, or from pee (guys have it easier in that respect). I used to think "Absorbtion, who wants that? That means it will soak through." But what I realized is that it means the first layer soaks it up and the second layer stays dry to keep your hands clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicEyes View Post
As if that wasn't bad enough, they've added a new tagline to those butt-wiggling bear commercials:

"Enjoy the go."

Holy crapasaurus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleddown View Post
Rape by deception. Her consent was obtained under false pretenses -- pretenses he created specifically for the purposes of getting her to have sex with him, presuming that it would not be possible to receive her consent through normal, non-coercive means.
That's not rape. Tacky, sure, but they didn't jump on her, just persuaded her to take an action they desired. Yeah, she'll probably feel duped later, but it was her choice.

If that's rape, then any person who ever lied on a first date is guilty of rape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuna Matata View Post
I hate this commercial for the Trojan Triphoria Vibrator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7oMY6sC7wQ

First the acting is terrible but that *#&$ guy at the end--WTF! Why is he so excited that they got three massagers? That 'sweeeet' is just too much!
"It will blow your hair back"? That's their tagline? How exactly does a vibrator blow your hair back? Does it come with an optional grooming kit and hair styling attachment? And nobody noticed those ladies' hair before the present was opened? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
This is one of the local Vegas ambulance chasers who advertises all the time. HURT YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU'RE A TARD? SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE TO PAY type stuff.

What the hell is the message there? Is he trying to gain cool cred by ironically acknowledging his scummy nature?
Hi, I'm an ambulance chaser. Pick me for all your ambulance chasing needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lone cashew View Post
Kikkoman Soy Sauce commercial.
That one is very WTF. Is that popular in Japan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahnlor View Post
I found an article about it with the video of one embedded:
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...115480369.html
Thanks for that. So apparently "Groupon" is some sort of collective deal arrangement that lets you buy into a group rate, thus a group coupon. Interesting. And the way to draw attention to their product is to start off like some sort of publicity for a serious cause, then awkwardly shift the focus to how their company helps you save money on some vaguely related topic. Hmmm.

The Timothy Hutton one is particularly bad, because it sounds like he's saying, "The Tibetans have a hard time, but because of Groupon, I get to rip them off myself, and you can, too." I mean, I can't see how getting discounts on Tibetan food at a restaurant in New York (was it New York?) somehow helps Tibetans in Tibet. But I sort of feel like the Tibetan restaurant in Tibet is selling food in part to send it back to Tibet, but Tim has found a way to cheap them out of that money. Um, that's a good thing? Hey Timothy, just pay for the dinner and let the poor Tibetans earn a living.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahnlor View Post
Is there a law somewhere that actually defines rape to include sex that is consentual, but only because the woman was misinformed?
Slight hijack -- wasn't there an SDMB thread on this a little while back? Something about paying a prostitute with what later turns out to be counterfeit money?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 AM

Certain American jurisdictions recognize rape by fraud.

Guess it depends on exactly where you live. The wiki above references a case where a man pretended to be his twin brother and had sex with the brother's girlfriend.

Can't find anything on the original article at the moment, just reaction to it.

Last edited by Superdude; 03-18-2011 at 10:57 AM..
Old 03-18-2011, 02:50 PM

Not as extreme as some listed but the light beer commercials where the bartender insults the guy. Does she ever get a tip?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:06 AM

This commercial for Fage yogurt. Yes, the photography is gorgeous...but by the halfway point of the commercial I'm sitting there going "the fuck is this a commercial for? GET ON WITH IT."
Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 AM

I love this ad for Athenos Hummus. Fricking hilarious, but it did make me do a triple-take the first time I saw it.

Joe
Old 03-20-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresgeorge04 View Post
I love this ad for Athenos Hummus. Fricking hilarious, but it did make me do a triple-take the first time I saw it.

Joe
Definitely a WTF commercial, but wow, the girl who plays Michelle is freaking adorable.

Last edited by Khadaji; 03-20-2011 at 12:43 PM..
Old 03-20-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Definitely a WTF commercial, but wow, the girl who plays Michelle is freaking adorable.
Yeah, she's a cutie...

Joe
Old 03-20-2011, 01:11 PM

The recent run of commercials for the Golden Corral chain seriously bugs me. I think it's the guy who plays the GC employee. Here's one of the more recent ones. I don't know what it is that I don't like about the guy...he just comes across as "car salesman-y" to me.

There's another commercial (Insight Cable, I believe) that has the slogan, "the future is coming...the future is now." While I get what they're trying to say, it just seems too contradictory for me. The future is coming? The future is now? Which is it??
Old 03-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresgeorge04 View Post
Yeah, she's a cutie...

Joe
I can't tell if she's 12 or 21.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Anyone remember that brief, confusing period in the early eighties when Atari employed Hunter S. Thompson as their marketing director?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Is it me or does the kid in that commercial look an awful lot like Arye Gross?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Go Tribe!

I just heard that damn Barilla commercial again with the woman with the phony Italian accent telling me that the word for "together" in Italian is "insieme" and every time we eat spaghetti we grow closer as a family. More tooogeeeether. She needs a smack.

Can't she just shut up and let me listen to Andrea Bocelli sing?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I thought of this thread last night when I saw that McDonald's commercial with the two odd people doing some sort of synchronized table thumping. WTF indeed.
The original table-thumping routine is here; maybe McDonald's' ad agency thought the original was more popular/well-known than it really was...
Old 03-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Confusing the polarity
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiira View Post
This commercial for Fage yogurt. Yes, the photography is gorgeous...but by the halfway point of the commercial I'm sitting there going "the fuck is this a commercial for? GET ON WITH IT."
Yes! I saw that one for the first time last night and had no idea what it was supposed to be selling. I figured it was probably some sort of yogurt, but...yeah.

Reminds me of the old Infiniti commercials where they never showed the car.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 PM

One of the new Dairy Queen commercials REALLY makes me say WTF.

"I'm not playing a guitar...I'm playing a guitar that sounds like dolphins."
Old 03-22-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
The original table-thumping routine is here; maybe McDonald's' ad agency thought the original was more popular/well-known than it really was...
Seriously, that's amazing. The McDonald's commercial is a pale imitation of that (even though I see that it's the same people). It makes a lot more sense after seeing that though.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 AM

The commercial for the HTC Thunderbolt. A phone. "Immense power. Scorching speed."

My reaction? "Yeah, but look what you gotta do to charge the damned thing!"
Old 03-23-2011, 01:24 AM

I don't know what the product is, but there are two guys standing next to each other talking, and one guy grabs the other guys hand and licks/sucks his fingers. I think I've blocked the product out of my head, but I'm guessing it's for a food that leaves stuff on your fingers, like cheetos, doritos, or KFC. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?

The trojan vibrator commercials are pretty bad too. First the shower, where three women with blown back hair gave the same gift. To me, it implies that they used the vibrator before giving it as a gift (ew), and the fiancee being so excited that his wife got some toys to get her off. I guess so he doesn't have to? I can't imagine a male equivalent product being advertised at all, yet alone well received by the significant other.

Male - "Hi honey, back from the bachelor party. I got three subscriptions to Hustler, Club, and Penthouse, a Jenna Jamison vibrating pussy and 5 porno movies! Female - "SWEET!"

The Golden Corral Commercials, where that weird looking guy is the last man standing after all the parameters of the hungry family are met. All you can eat shrimp for $10! Outstanding quality at the Corral!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey The Heavy View Post
The whole Foster Farms ad campaign has always weirded me out. So they want to be taken home, killed and eaten? I think these are regional to the west coast.
Bolding mine. I haven't seen that one in particular, but I have seen those ads before, and while Arkansas is west of the Mississippi...
Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey The Heavy View Post
The whole Foster Farms ad campaign has always weirded me out. So they want to be taken home, killed and eaten?
That's the premise behind the insane Peperami ads. Apparently they're so tasty they'll even eat themselves. And even that's tame compared to this.

They also have a stupendous catchphrase which is literally true.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post
The commercial for Hoverround Electric Wheel Chairs.

First of all, is it really such a good idea to have grandma test out the chair on the rim of the Grand Canyon?
Secondly, no wonder Medicare is running into problems - apparently 20 million people don't have to "pay a penny" to get one.
I used to do my own narration to that one

"And if Medicare rejects your claim, we'll send someone to your house to bust your kneecaps" We'll DO ANYTHING to put you in power chair TODAY".
Old 03-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

The Stride Spark commercial with the girl fighting off a charging ram is kind of out there.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:11 PM

That Quilted Northern commercial with all those young women blathering in circles about needing a toilet paper that gets them "clean" while keeping them "clean".........with some tag line about a "confident clean".

Nothing kills my self-confidence like worrying about butthole cleanliness........why whiten my teeth for my night out if I have to worry that the crowds my might think I didn't wipe my ass good enough?