Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 AM

Let's help some animals, Denver version!

Shamelessly, I am following in Delores' footsteps and do a little recruiting for the Denver Dumb Friends League's Furry Scurry. It's a two mile walk that typically sees about 10,000 people participants and 5,000 dogs.

I'm a little heartbroken because Rocky cannot go with me this year. He is now 12, and his vision is getting dim. Because of that, he follows his nose and tends to do sudden starts and lunges to get closer to the smell he finds so interesting. In such a big crowd, that just spells trouble for my old buddy.

So this year I've decided to make my goal larger in his honor. If you would like to find out more about the Dumb Friends League and the fantastic work they do, visit them here http://www.ddfl.org

If you would like to donate this should take you to my participant page http://support.ddfl.org/site/TR/Even...nal&fr_id=1090

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Done!

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
Done!

Good luck, and have fun!
Thank you so much! I loved the pictures of you and Lucy, especially with the horses. Lucy looked like she very much enjoyed meeting them.

Thanks again!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I just chipped in.

Good luck! Denver just happens to have a special place in my heart for certain reasons.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I just chipped in.

Good luck! Denver just happens to have a special place in my heart for certain reasons.
Thank you so much! Denver is great, and your donation will help so many programs that the Denver Dumb Friends League provides for the well being of animals.

And as someone who lived in Thailand when she was a little kid, Udorn holds a special place in my heart. A nervous place with cobras and tokay lizards, but a wonderful place nonetheless. Does Tim Land still exist? I rode an elephant bareback in shorts there in '67. Trust me, I could not get down fast enough! Elephants have hairs like straight pins!

Thank you, thank you on behalf of Rocky and myself for the donation!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Elephant Whisperer

You're welcome. Tim Land. I don't think so. I was up in Udon just last year and have never heard of it. But you're right about elephants. Hair like Brillo pads. Never sit on one wearing shorts.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:56 AM

I guess it was the North Carolina in me to add the 'r'. Tim Land was outside of Bangkok, though, it was billed as Thailand in miniature, or Thailand in a day. They had weavers from Chaing Mai, dancers and the blessed elephants. Prolly more that I don't remember.

I never want to go back, but I think Thailand back in the day probably molded me into the person I am today(along with being around in the south for the Civil Rights movement), extreme poverty, things I had never seen that even at a young age, just left me aghast.

I firmly believe that every young American should experience a year in a third world nation, up close and personal.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizTina View Post
I guess it was the North Carolina in me to add the 'r'. Tim Land was outside of Bangkok, though, it was billed as Thailand in miniature, or Thailand in a day. They had weavers from Chaing Mai, dancers and the blessed elephants. Prolly more that I don't remember.
That sounds a lot like what's called the Ancient City, and it's still going strong. Quite a nice place actually, although it's been ages since we've been. Owned by the guy who has the local Mercedes franchise.

Udorn and Udon are both common spellings. I prefer "Udon," as the final letter in the Thai word is the letter R, but that always takes an N sound when appearing at the end of a syllable. But since it normally is an R, for some reason many people stick R and N together in the English spelling. (It's pronounced "U-Dawn.") You see that with a lot of words that end similarly.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 04-07-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Two weeks to go and you're looking good on donations. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 PM

Thank you, but I've been a bit lazy lately. But with a couple of weeks to go, I'm gonna buckle up and get the donations in.

By the by, I mention your pigeon thread quite a bit to my friends. I like pigeons, and appreciate the relationship that has existed between us for centuries. And I think you and your wife are just awesome for not giving them the boot. I truly believe that if not for crows, pigeons, sparrows and magpies, we would be up to our ass in old McDonalds french fries. Imagine wading through that mess, eh?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:48 AM

Ah, I donated during the Paws...telethon...thing. I live right next to DFL, actually. (:
Old 04-23-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenPained View Post
Ah, I donated during the Paws...telethon...thing. I live right next to DFL, actually. (:
No worries! It's awesome that you donated to them at any time. Thanks for helping them continue their great work.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizTina View Post
By the by, I mention your pigeon thread quite a bit to my friends. I like pigeons, and appreciate the relationship that has existed between us for centuries. And I think you and your wife are just awesome for not giving them the boot.
Thanks. I'm watching Henry out there eating as I type this.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 AM

Well crap, I hustled donations tonight like crazy, and got $40. But when I tried tried to enter them, they showed up as donations from me. Bugger! I would like to say that John from the Oasis and Team Trivia from the Oasis and the 4 Mile House donated, not me. Bless 'em and thank 'em!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Today's the big day. Or will be soon (still Friday night in Denver). Good luck! And take some pictures.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:18 PM

Thank you! I did take pics, and being tired and lazy, I just did a slideshow on Youtube. Click Here! It was awesome, there were some beautiful dogs, some funny people and as in the last pictures, really cool people and pets.

Sorry for the blurries, especially with the miniature horse, but I am not a big fan of crowds, and the Furry scurry is VERY crowded, so a lot of pics were taken while I was moving. But thanks so much to everyone that donated, be assures that the money went to a great cause. And there are better videos on youtube of past scurries, so you can see just how big it is.

Last edited by Rico; 05-08-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: fix coding