The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Yeah it's kinda fun, it's got a torchlight quick action randomly generated feel, some of the interface elements are simpler. The creature creator thing is kinda cool - instead of just getting the gloves of magical whatever, you'll get these genetic augmentations that you can stick onto your body somewhere spore style. Anyway since it has coop it can be fun. Not challenging at all though so far - hoping it ramps up the difficulty a lot after the first few maps.

I'm not going to buy it for $50 but I'll probably snatch it up when it hits $10.
Advertisements  
Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Ok, for anyone who's been waiting on a civ 5 sale, it's going to be $20 on green man gaming on thursday only. Yeah, you probably haven't heard of them - but it doesn't matter. Civ 5 is steamworks, meaning you can enter the cd key into steam from wherever you purchased it, and it becomes activated steam just like you'd purchased it through steam.

There's also a discount code 20PEC-GMGV2-PROMO you can enter to get another 20% off (assuming the deals stack) in which case you get civ 5 for $16, and you'll have it on steam. They also take paypal so you don't have to spread your CC info all over. All in all it's worth the quick sign up to get a pretty big savings off the game.

I post that in this thread because I've been thinking about trying to have scheduled civ 5 multiplayer SDMB games. Civ 5 in multiplayer has a simultaneous execution system that's actually reasonably elegant and is kinda fun to play. Even fast Civ 5 games can take 8+ hours to complete though so I was thinking we could schedule 3 hour chunks to play over several nights. Anyway, if you're interested in trying it out, grab civ 5 on thursday and tell me if you're interested and when works for you - I'll create an interest list.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Today is the day to buy Civ 5 on GMG. If you want Civ 5 there probably won't be a better time for a while, and like i said, since it steamworks you just add the cd key they mail you to steam and it acts just like you bought it on steam. I'm looking into getting multiplayer scheduled games together (it works better/quicker than you'd think) so contact me on steam if interested. Use promo code 20pec-GMGv2-promo to get an extra 20% off.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Why, oh why don't I listen to you people sooner!?!? DiRT2 is great, even though I'm terrible at it. I'm enjoying the heck out of it and I don't even like racing games that much. Which is exactly what everyone (or at least SenorBeef) said.

Any tips or tricks?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Well the most obvious would be to ask what sort of controls you're using. I mostly use the xbox 360 controller which works really well for racing games (you can pick up a usb version for $20ish or a wireless+receiver for $50ish) or a G27 if I'm not feeling too lazy to hook it up. The gamepad is actually a little better overall because you often need to flick the controls really fast more than getting the extra precision of the wheel, although the game does really good force feedback and it's awesome to have the wheel sliding around as you go from dirt to concrete and it bites.

Other than that it's really just practice. You'll learn to not always slam the accelerator/brakes full all the time but occasionally ease into them, you'll get a feel when to drift and when not to, etc.

Dirt 3 is only about a month away and I know we're gonna be having tons of SDMB games when it comes out, so consider grabbing that with us.

If you're doing free race mode, you can download the recordings of other people who've run the track and incorporate them as ghosts in your race too. You can find someone that's maybe 5-10 seconds faster than you on a track just to see how they approach certain parts, and then as you improve you can watch someone who runs the course even faster, etc. That might teach you about how to approach the courses.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-22-2011 at 11:58 AM..
Old 04-22-2011, 01:08 PM

I'm using the xbox 360 controller for windows (USB).

Thanks for the ideas. Didn't know about the ghosts.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:33 PM

Just got a computer finally capable of playing something more demanding than WoW! I bought the Orange Box yesterday, but only played HL2 and a little Portal. I'll join the group when I get home - Steam doesn't like me registering from my Droid. I tend to not play multiplayer games - I'm always afraid of being the weak link - but maybe...

Joe
Old 04-23-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresgeorge04 View Post
I tend to not play multiplayer games - I'm always afraid of being the weak link - but maybe...

Joe
Don't worry. Team Fortress 2 is fun even when you seem to spend more time respawning then actually playing the game. And it's always fun to count the number of times the "you are being dominated" sound can comes up during the same round.

Not that I know from personal experience or anything....
Old 04-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

I recommend people grab Mount & Blade: Warband for $6 on steam this weekend. If we get more people with the game we can have some SDMB multiplayer games.

In single player it's sort of a sandboxy game where you roam around with your army taking out bandits or waging war or taking castles, in multiplayer it can be an epically huge game of 200+ players on each side slamming spears into each other's faces or shooting each other with realistic archery. Definitely worth $6.

Warband has everything the original M&B has and more, so it's not worth getting both, and it's also not worth saving $2 to get the original. Grab warband.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Dirt 3 is coming out Tuesday. A bunch of us preordered and we will be playing it quite a lot. It will be the greatest racing game ever. Grab it if you want to play with us.

The dirt 3 preorder gives an extra giftable copy of dirt 2, so if you want to try it out, go ahead and ask and one of us can probably gift you a copy. I already gave mine away, but others probably still have theirs.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:07 AM

Does anyone want to play the Portal 2 multiplayer mode? I haven't tried it yet but would love to do it with someone from here rather than a random.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

I forgot to post it in this thread but we've been having Civ 5 multiplayer games. It's gone pretty well. We have a main game that gets played usually on Monday and Wednesday from 8-11 eastern and a night game that starts around midnight whenever everyone is around. If you're interested in either, contact me.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:49 PM

Hey good peoples of the dope!

I've got some extra copies of a few games. If anyone is interested in the any of them. PM me!

Half-Life 2 Episode 1

Metro 2033

Portal 1
Old 05-22-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
Does anyone want to play the Portal 2 multiplayer mode? I haven't tried it yet but would love to do it with someone from here rather than a random.
If you see me on I'm willing to play through with you. Though I am in the UK which would be about 8 hours different so it'd have to be luck if we were on at the same time. I've also already beaten it so you'll have to tell me if you want hints or figure the puzzles out yourself.

Darkhold
Old 05-22-2011, 10:10 PM

I would also like to play portal 2 co-op. I played it single on the ps3 and co-op on ps3 and it seems quite a bit different on steam. And I'm slow So if you want to play with a newb, I'm the one! I'm sinjineer on psn and sinjinerd on steam.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Torus (steam name - I can't remember his SDMB name but go ahead and post here) rented a ventrilo server for us to use for voice chat. We won't use it for games that have good built in voice chat already, but for anything we've previously used ventrilo for we have a larger and more centrally located server that will be up 24/7.

If you don't have ventrilo, you can download the client free here. It has good online documentation but if you need help setting it up contact me.

It's for general group use so you don't need anyone's permission to use it. You can't run your WoW guild on it or anything like that, but if you want to get together with a few people go ahead. There will be multiple channels so we could host seperate groups simultaneously.

The server info is
Address: vent3.gamespeak.com
Port: 4303
And the password is 1920s style _______ (one word)
I'm not going to post the password on here just in case there are bots that search for address/password combos, but you should be able to figure it out. If not, contact me.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:30 AM

Cool. I downloaded the client last night. Headset should finally be here today.

Even though I did pretty poorly in it, I'm a real fan of the "infection" mode in DiRT 3.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Torus (steam name - I can't remember his SDMB name but go ahead and post here) rented a ventrilo server for us to use for voice chat. We won't use it for games that have good built in voice chat already, but for anything we've previously used ventrilo for we have a larger and more centrally located server that will be up 24/7.
That would be me. We're set up for a 15 user limit at the moment, but I'll bump that up if we start running out of space.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I doubt many people in our group are interested but if people get black ops installed for the free weekend I'll try to run a game for us tomorrow afternoon. Contact me if interested.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

We had a small SDMB mount and blade warband game last night. The game really is meant for a more epic scale with 50+ people on either side, but it was fun hitting each other in the face with axes last night.

When warband goes on sale again you all should buy it, and also if you record your own gameplay videos go ahead and post them here and we'll make an SDMB playlist on youtube.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

With Fire & Sword, you could shoot each other in the face with musket balls instead.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 06-05-2011 at 05:56 PM..
Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When warband goes on sale again you all should buy it, and also if you record your own gameplay videos go ahead and post them here and we'll make an SDMB playlist on youtube.
I meant of course if you have gameplay video from any game, not just warband, of course.

Anyway, I uploaded the rest of the footage from that session including the jousting battle of the prancing ponies.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 PM

I am not being allowed to connect to the ventrilo server
Is the password all lower case?

PCM
Old 06-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, password is d*******s (you might be trying to put in the whole phrase including 1920s style maybe)
Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 PM

Ahhh I was singular rather than plural. Apparently I don't know my memes well enough.
TF2 downloading, so expect a very inept player at the next match

Cheers
PCM
Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

We don't use ventrilo for TF2 because source games have good built in voice chat. We'll be playing tonight and tomorrow, friend me on steam and I'll make sure to keep you updated.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 AM

Interested in Portal 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
Hey good peoples of the dope!

I've got some extra copies of a few games. If anyone is interested in the any of them. PM me!

Half-Life 2 Episode 1

Metro 2033

Portal 1
I'd be interested in Portal 1. I've played the demo, and was hooked on the game concept. Do you still have it? steamcommunity.com/id/dussell19
Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimothy19 View Post
I'd be interested in Portal 1. I've played the demo, and was hooked on the game concept. Do you still have it? steamcommunity.com/id/dussell19
Sorry, already given out
Old 06-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Monday Night Combat is on daily sale on steam for only $3.75. It's a pretty fun game that would be suitable for SDMB matches. It's a class based shooter with push/defend/upgrade mechanics sort of like TF2 meets DOTA. Anyway, it's only on sale until 10am pacific tomorrow, so hurry up if you want it. I'll run a game sometime this week and try to teach new people the mechanics. The game runs well anywhere from 3 on 3 to 6 on 6, so we should have no problem filling up games sometimes.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Soviet Era Sex Robot
Charter Member

Picked up MNC. I went ahead and got the 4-pack, since the price was so ridiculously low. Now I have to make time to play...
Old 06-19-2011, 09:21 PM

I've been playing a ton of L4D part 1 lately, and I can hold my own pretty well on advanced setting for multiplayer and campaign modes. I haven't tried expert yet. The problem with L4D2 is that it is very laggy and buggy for me despite having a fairly new computer.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

I will be hosting a Monday Night Combat game tonight at 8pm eastern. Everyone is welcome - I'll try to teach the game to the new people. You'll need ventrilo set up since the game doesn't have built in voice chat - make sure you get that sorted out, contact me if you have any questions about it.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 AM

I haven't got the game yet, so if three other people want in on a four pack, PM me.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

The MNC game went well last week with 10 of us playing and people learning the basics. I may try to make it into a weekly thing if there's interest - I'll be hosting a game tonight around 8 again. If you're new that's fine, just set up ventrilo.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:47 AM

Does anyone know if there's going to be a Steam 4th of July sale this year?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Rumor has it that it'll be starting in about 3.5 hours. Not sure how solid the rumor is.

It's very likely to actually happen - some devs leaked that valve were in talks with them about it.

I'll start a thread when it begins.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Yep, the summer sale has begun and here's the thread.

I may post in this thread when I think that games are good/cheap/popular enough for a bunch of people to get them so that we can have SDMB games of them.

For that reason I recommend Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West for $1.50. It's a fun game, $1.50 is nothing, we've had SDMB games before, and I'd be happy to host them again if there's interest.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Mount and Blade Warband is on sale for $7.50 today, I mention it here because we occasionally goof around with it in SDMB games (like here and here. It's not really designed around little 6 man deathmatch games though - it's sandbox single player and there are big 200+ man siege battles online too. Good stuff.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Civ 5 is on sale for $25 today, and we've got SDMB games that run pretty regularly. Post in that thread if you're interested. Not the best price, but if you've been wanting it, now's your chance.

There's also Beat Hazard Ultra for $3.75, if you get it I'll try the multiplayer modes with you guys, just tell me you're interested.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I forgot to add that if you want a call of duty game, COD4 is the one to get. Everything after it is markedly worse.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Woops, that last post was meant for the general steam sale thread, not this one.

I forgot to mention that Monday Night Combat is also $3.75 today, which is a game we've been having private SDMB games for and I hope to continue. It's pretty fun and easily worth the $4.... but I should've mentioned this yesterday. It's only on sale for another hour and 45 minutes. Well, grab it if you can.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 07-06-2011 at 10:17 AM..
Old 07-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

The dead air campaign from l4d1 releases early for l4d2 if 20,000 people get the achievement for beating the cold stream campaign. So let's do our part and organize some cold stream games. Just ask around on your friends list and see who wants to get together and do it... once the new (or...old in this case) content gets released I plan on playing l4d2 more.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:55 PM

They've already surpassed 20,000.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 AM

I did my part, but I didn't much care for it.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:32 AM

I'm thinking about picking up Rift. I've never played an MMORPG before, but I generally like fantarsy RPGs. Should I give it a shot?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:00 AM

OK, I posted in the wrong thread. Please ignore.

Last edited by Alessan; 07-08-2011 at 07:00 AM..
Old 07-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Some community implicatiosn for today's sales. Worms Reloaded, which is an updated version with features taken from the old worms 2d games, is $5. I'll be grabbing that and it seems like the sort of game the SDMB community could have fun with, so I'd recommend grabbing it.

Dirt 3 is $33.50, not sure that's a big enough discount to sway people but we've been having fun SDMB games.

Empire and Napolean Total War (both games) plus all DLC is $10. Most people don't play the games in multiplayer but if there's interest I'd like to try to organize a 3v3 type game to see how it goes.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Dirt 3 is $33.50, not sure that's a big enough discount to sway people but we've been having fun SDMB games.
A third off is good enough for me. Now if I could just get a working mic...
Old 07-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to be running a Dirt 2 (not Dirt 3) game on Wednesday. I miss some of the old game modes and the old tracks, and different/more people have dirt 2 than 3, so I figure we could fill up a game and have some fun with it occasionally.

So anyway, if you've uninstalled Dirt 2 but want to play, get it installed by Wednesday at 8 eastern. Make sure you have ventrilo working too.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

It's almost time for the Christmas sale, so we can use this thread to coordinate buys or organize new games perhaps.

Orcs Must Die is on sale today for $3.75 (might as well pick up the maps/traps dlc packs for under $2 too). It's single player, so it's not very relevant to our group, except that it uses steam leaderboards. I think it would be fun if we had a competition every week with the game on a different map, and whoever could build the most awesome orc-shredding traps to get the highest score would win.

Check out the Orcs Must Die! thread.