The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Boo!

Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Have there been any good Zombie Vampire movies or stories?

This question popped into my head last night, while waiting for the movie "The Help" to start (I wanted to see "Contagion" but both my wife and our girlfriend wanted to see this one, so I sort of got pulled along into it with them.)

During the previews I noted a new Zombie movie coming out, and my first thought was 'at least it's not a vampire movie'. That gave me pause, and I began to wonder where all the zombie vampires were.

And I don't mean tales with both zombies and vampires in them, but rather a story which revolves around a zombified vampire, or a vampirized zombie.

Or has the perfect Zombie Vampire story already been told, and I just missed it?

"The Help" was actually a pretty good movie, with no contagious diseases but some pretty virulent ideas
Advertisements  
Old 10-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Apparently there's this movie about vampire zombies. But the overall lack of vampire zombie (zompire?) cinematic excursions is probably because it just isn't a logical combination. Vampires need agency and intellect so they don't fall asleep in the sunlight or starve from lack of blood. Whereas zombies are just on instinctive autopilot, and although they seek brains when brains are present, it doesn't appear they require brains to survive.

The closest real life analogy that makes sense is the difference between honey bees (who, like zombies, are slaves to the hive mind) and killer bees (who, like many vampires, are total mean jerks that will hurt people for fun, and are also carnivores).

I mean, I suppose there's future potential for the as-yet untapped "zompire genre" of horror movies. I just don't think it's necessary.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:17 AM

I think it would work well with any sort of Vampire v. Zombies movie. Vampires getting taken over would be a nice added threat. Zombies need all they can get to be a challenge.

And, really, if our protagonists are Vampires, there's no thrill if they are immune to the zombie's strongest attack.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

The Strain series by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan has creatures I have always thought of as part zombie, part vampire. There are vampire-vampires too, and then they create mindless drones that simply seek to eat/convert more people.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:09 PM

The movie Stakeland is a zombie apocalypse movie but the bad guys are really vampires. Plus it's really good!