The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Boo!

Old 10-22-2011, 10:26 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

This Year's Costumes

Not pictures of cool costumes you've seen or pictures of cool costumes from the Internet. YOUR costume (or kids' costume or group pic with you in it) from this year.

The party I went to was super early, so Drowned Zombie has been up and back down already:

Advertisements  
Old 10-23-2011, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Nice, though I might have dressed the hair up a bit with some seaweed and a shell or two also. Maybe a crawfish =) Crawfish, lobsters and crabs are known for snacking on bodies =)
Old 10-25-2011, 11:41 PM

I bought a silly store outfit. Waste of money for what i got, but it was definitely worth it for the laughs.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:02 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Wow, you have the perfect legs for that costume
Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 PM

The robot costume that my husband made for my kiddo this year.

When the kiddo is in it, his eyes are peeking out of the robot's mouth.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBfd View Post
I bought a silly store outfit. Waste of money for what i got, but it was definitely worth it for the laughs.

I love it!

My party's not until Saturday, so no costume photos of me yet, but soon!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Little Mahalothette as a Native American.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 AM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Tamarin - WOW!!

Mahaloth that's a perfect costume for a squirt. Cute, warm and won't fall apart. Oh did I mention cute?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 AM

Here is a test for mine, but You'll have to wait till tomorrow night to see it fully with claws and make-up. I'm Sabretooth from X-men Origins: Wolverine

Hmm images don't seem to be loading right.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/24805009@N03/6288264765/

Last edited by Acid Lamp; 10-28-2011 at 10:38 AM..
Old 10-30-2011, 04:01 AM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Acid Lamp I saw a couple of Wolverines out tonight and all 3 of you had naturally rockin' bods and sideburns! (as opposed to a not rockin' bod or a fake bod)

Here's my costume from tonight. It was actually used last year at an Alice party but resurrected tonight for a last-minute invite. Those folks in the photo are random party-goers who also had on Alice garb.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Psst, Zipper, which one is you?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:38 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

The queen. Thought I looked close enough to the zombie in my OP. my bad!
Old 10-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Here's this year's costume, taken at the start of the night before pieces started falling off:

I'm not blacking out my face because I care if you know what I look like, I am just making a really stupid looking face in this picture, so...yeah.

Last edited by bouv; 10-30-2011 at 01:59 PM..
Old 10-30-2011, 03:52 PM

I went as Poison Ivy from Batman this Halloween. We don't have a full view of the costume anywhere, buthere's one from when I was goofing around just before we went out last night:

Last edited by nashiitashii; 10-30-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Old 10-30-2011, 06:30 PM

For $14, I added this silvery skull mask to my existing ensemble of black leather motorcycle gear: a jacket, overpants, gauntlet gloves, boots, and a black 3/4 helmet (usually I wear a full face one).

I had to cut the mask's forehead down to be able to wear it with a helmet, but here it is...

Old 10-30-2011, 11:21 PM

My cybergoth/punk turned out decent enough I guess.

sorry for the bad photo, my husband sucks at taking pictures XD

Last edited by kjbrasda; 10-30-2011 at 11:22 PM..
Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 AM

my costume this year: World Series Witch

I actually won the costume contest at work in this getup. It helped that most people in St. Louis are big Cardinal baseball fans, and that our team made it to the World Series this year, and that the costume contest was held on October 27, the same day that a must-win Game 6 of the Series was to be played. It helped that the winner was chosen by applause (I stood in front of the crowd -- patients and staff -- and hollered "Go Cardinals!" several times). It also helped that there was only one other costume contest entry this year. But I thought the other guys would win for sure:

Old 10-31-2011, 09:50 AM

I'm Roy from the IT Crowd.

Last edited by Intergalactic Gladiator; 10-31-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Old 10-31-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymule View Post
I actually won the costume contest at work in this getup. It helped that most people in St. Louis are big Cardinal baseball fans, and that our team made it to the World Series this year, and that the costume contest was held on October 27, the same day that a must-win Game 6 of the Series was to be played. It helped that the winner was chosen by applause (I stood in front of the crowd -- patients and staff -- and hollered "Go Cardinals!" several times). It also helped that there was only one other costume contest entry this year. But I thought the other guys would win for sure:

Sorry, I broke my flickr link. Here is the photo of my costume:

Old 10-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Accept no substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarin View Post
The robot costume that my husband made for my kiddo this year.

When the kiddo is in it, his eyes are peeking out of the robot's mouth.
This is absolutely the best thing I have seen this season. How wonderful!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
This is absolutely the best thing I have seen this season. How wonderful!
Thanks! He was a huge hit at his school trick or treat and at my office. People kept stopping him to look at it, and we'd hear whispers of "check out that Robot!" as we walked by.

People were asking him if he made it himself and he'd answer, "My dad helped" (He's 5, by the way.)

He gets to wear it one more time for trick or treat tonight, and he's excited about that.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

I don't have pics handy, but the office staff all went as advertising icons this year. We had Aunt Jemima, the Pillsbury Doughboy, Little Debbie, the Brawny lumberjack, Mr. Clean, Progressive Flo, and the All-State Mayhem Guy.

And the Space Grant Consortium folks were all in Star Trek uniforms.

EDIT:
Quote:
Quoth ZipperJJ:
The queen. Thought I looked close enough to the zombie in my OP. my bad!
No, my bad. I didn't pay attention to the usernames, and didn't notice that you posted both those pics.

Last edited by Chronos; 10-31-2011 at 12:59 PM..
Old 10-31-2011, 02:35 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Bah, I wish I had an office to go to so I could participate in the office Halloween party!

I did wear my Batman pajama pants today...

Everyone's stuff looks so good!

Natashiashii I saw a few women dressed similarly to you at the party I went to. Now I know what they were! You wear it best, tho
Old 10-31-2011, 03:25 PM

This year I am a Gumby. So is my pumpkin. His brain will have to come out. All the bits of it.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Nashiitashii I saw a few women dressed similarly to you at the party I went to. Now I know what they were! You wear it best, tho
Why, thank you! I got three distinct reactions on Saturday night: guys going at my boobs, folks of both genders going "You're Poison Ivy? Cool!", and women giving me dirty looks because their boyfriends were staring at my boobs. I just went out dressed up to have a few beers at the local watering hole, and was more covered than most of the ladies in revealing Halloween outfits, so no harm, no foul.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:57 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashiitashii View Post
I just went out dressed up to have a few beers at the local watering hole, and was more covered than most of the ladies in revealing Halloween outfits, so no harm, no foul.
There were a lot of cool costumes at the party I went to but "slutty pirate" and "sexy kitty" still ruled the night!

I considered my queen costume a great success because twice things were deposited in my cleavage. Ole!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:26 PM

I'm pretty much the worst Halloween enthusiast ever, considering I have no photos of me in action. I took a bunch of myself in the mirror before going out, then quit because it's almost impossible to take a good photograph of yourself in front of a mirror, and then I left my camera at home. So that means, yes, I only have crappy mirror photos where my face is either blocked by hand holding the camera in front of me, or a bright flash. There's some random dude in Chicago somewhere, though, who has a photo of me in action alongside some other girl with the same costume, if that helps.

No less, I present to you the fantastically shitty photos of me as Lt. Uhura. One has my head entirely obscured by the flash, and the other has my head in it sort of.

Last edited by MeanOldLady; 10-31-2011 at 07:29 PM..
Old 10-31-2011, 07:45 PM

I favor unreasonably huge subsidies to the brain slug planet.

EDIT: Brain slug courtesy of Elysium. Much props! Many props?

Last edited by Covered_In_Bees!; 10-31-2011 at 07:46 PM..
Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 PM

Wait, I thought you were a chick.

No offense.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Love Poison Ivy and Uhura. Will send some garlic shampoo to Covered_In_Bees!

Here's me and the kids. Claire informed me this morning that I could not be a zombie, I should be a tree, so I took my best shot:

I quite like my makeup and hair:

I spent a total of $2 on my costume, for some bobby pins. I even harvested my vines from our front porch (slack yard maintenance pays off!).
Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 PM

Like the tree and your girls' outfits.

Lt. Uhura rocks even if we can't see the mean old lady behind the camera. My BFF and I convinced my mother to make both of us Uhura costumes. As budding teens though, Mom made sure our costumes were not as tight as she wore hers. LOL.

No costume for me this year. Holding a black cat while I answer the door suffices.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:56 PM

From today. She really made out trick or treating, first at school, then the therapy office had a party then out in the neighborhood. So many Butterfingers and I'm sooo lucky she doesn't like them.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:01 PM

I don't have a full body photo but here's my face My costume started out as a pirate dress but it turned into what my cousin calls a "Living Dread girl" after I adopted the sugar skull face paint from a Día de los Muertos festival.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:12 PM

the daughter's costume

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0312011001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0312011003.jpg
Old 11-01-2011, 01:42 AM

A combination of a lot of things: Ryuk, Joker, Pris, an unintentional Juggalo.....

The chin was homemade, liquid latex painted over a pottery clay form. The rest is pretty straightforward.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody L View Post

I don't have a full body photo but here's my face My costume started out as a pirate dress but it turned into what my cousin calls a "Living Dread girl" after I adopted the sugar skull face paint from a Día de los Muertos festival.
Really cute! That looks so great with your black hair! I wanted to do a Dio de la Muertos thing last year, but my girlfriend said it was too scary.
I posted this in another thread, but this is my jellyfish costume.
I lit up.
http://flic.kr/p/aAim5P
Old 11-01-2011, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post

No less, I present to you the fantastically shitty photos of me as Lt. Uhura. One has my head entirely obscured by the flash, and the other has my head in it sort of.

Not bad, though to be honest I would have made the costume out of the old school extra heavy quiana, though as I recall synthetic/nylon coarse velvet [halfway between the current velvet and terrycloth - I haven't seen old school velvet for sale in a long time. Might be able to get long pile cotton velvet and make it look right] was actually used by the studio in a couple of costumes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody L View Post

Excellent face paint. I love the candy skulls - some have the best folk art decoration!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

This year's office costume. SWAT / Special Forces / whatever. Pulled together from my closet, although I did need to buy the toy gun.
[never mind - I'l try the photo later.]

Last edited by DrFidelius; 11-01-2011 at 07:01 AM..
Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Last edited by DrFidelius; 11-01-2011 at 07:08 AM..
Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covered_In_Bees! View Post

I favor unreasonably huge subsidies to the brain slug planet.

EDIT: Brain slug courtesy of Elysium. Much props! Many props?
Awesome! I'm glad it got to you just fine.
I went as Pam from Archer this year:

Pam Halloween 2011 by phrasework, on Flickr
Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

[...

Last edited by DrFidelius; 11-01-2011 at 07:26 AM..
Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Ah, that's better. It didn't seem to liek the link to a Ning site.

Last edited by DrFidelius; 11-01-2011 at 07:38 AM..
Old 11-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Not bad, though to be honest I would have made the costume out of the old school extra heavy quiana...
Juh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I went as Pam from Archer this year:
I love the Pam from Archer idea! Some people get creative and fun, while my lazy ass just picks up whatever cheap nylon costume is available by the time I get around to buying one. This year I bought my get-up on 10/26, whereas last year 10/27, and I think the year before that 10/28? Next year I'll have it by 10/25!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:02 AM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Hey aruvqan since you had such helpful suggestions about mine and MOL's costumes and how you would have made them better, why don't you show us your most awesomely perfect costume from this year?

Lovin' everyone's costumes so far. Both cute and creative!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

LAV25, there are also shades of Guy Fawkes (or alternately, V) in there. And the Barbies are a really creepy touch.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyblue View Post
Really cute! That looks so great with your black hair! I wanted to do a Dio de la Muertos thing last year, but my girlfriend said it was too scary.
I posted this in another thread, but this is my jellyfish costume.
I lit up.
http://flic.kr/p/aAim5P
Thank you! I love your jellyfish, it's so creative! I and jealous of such creative people, I'd love to be an octopus or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan
Excellent face paint. I love the candy skulls - some have the best folk art decoration!
Thank you, I couldn't agree more. I've always been a huge fan of the Dia de Los Muertos folk art. Everything from papel picado to the sugar skulls; I've got it hanging in my bedroom right now!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unauthorized Cinnamon View Post
Love Poison Ivy and Uhura. Will send some garlic shampoo to Covered_In_Bees!

Here's me and the kids. Claire informed me this morning that I could not be a zombie, I should be a tree, so I took my best shot:

I quite like my makeup and hair:

I spent a total of $2 on my costume, for some bobby pins. I even harvested my vines from our front porch (slack yard maintenance pays off!).
You and the kids look great! UC, do any of the leaves in your crown have five leaves? Any chance you have Virginia Creeper? (I hope I hope) Because it looks like poison ivy to me. Are you allergic?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:04 PM

Cyber Satyr

I went as a cyber satyr. Nobody got the costume, except for one guy who guessed I was Pan.

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=stuff005.jpg

There are additional pictures of my hooves, horns, and pan pipes.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:17 PM

I went as Amy Winehouse. I was going to go as Zombie Amy Winehouse but it was just too makeup intensive.

Hmmm, my image isn't working. See me here.

Last edited by Surly Chick; 11-01-2011 at 05:19 PM..
Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Chick View Post
I went as Amy Winehouse. I was going to go as Zombie Amy Winehouse but it was just too makeup intensive.

Hmmm, my image isn't working. See me here.
Have to sign in?