The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 PM

Can you buy one chicken wing?

I was unsure as to whether I should put this here in GQ or in MPSIMS, as this is a rather trivial question. Since it is a question, however, I think it belongs here.

When I am in my car listening to the radio, I will frequently hear ads for various restaurants and bars; many of them featuring "specials" on chicken wings. "35 cent chicken wings ALL NITE!!"...Does this mean you can actually order one individual wing? I understand most people would never do that as there is barely any actual meat on a wing and one wing alone would amount to not even a mouthful, but technically speaking, could you?

Yes ma'am, I'll have a Guinness and a chicken wing. Extra barbeque sauce, please.-is this an appropriate order?
Advertisements  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 PM

I'd think most places that sell by the individually priced wing piece would accomodate you (perhaps with a raised eyebrow, and some sniggering in the kitchen) if that's what you really wanted to order.

Last edited by zombywoof; 01-11-2012 at 10:22 PM..
Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNQRqAoT-2c
Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

The deli in my local grocery store will sell you baked or fried - leg, breast, wing (and a prayer). One, ten, 50, whatever.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Yes! Hilarious and totally on point!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 PM

No matter which way this thread happens to go, I think it will put a smile on my face. Hehe.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

You must try this.

Then show up the next night and order four fried chickens and a coke.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:00 AM

Can you buy one slice of wheat toast, dry?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
The deli in my local grocery store will sell you baked or fried - leg, breast, wing (and a prayer). One, ten, 50, whatever.
Same thing at Ralph's supermarket. Why not?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:08 AM

chicken wing of a question

Dude, You have way too much time on your hands. The offers you hear are contingent upon some unspecified minimum order. Get a grip.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 AM

If it's a tapas bar, it would be an unusual tapa to have on the bar since chicken wings are best freshly made but it would be a matter of having them ready-to-fry, so why not.

My mother will often buy one uncooked chicken wing as one of the ingredients for her stock. This is very common, the butcher will no more raise an eyebrow at someone asking for one chicken wing than at those who want a whole lamb.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsapone View Post
Dude, You have way too much time on your hands. The offers you hear are contingent upon some unspecified minimum order. Get a grip.
You sound sexy. When the price of something is contingent upon a minimum order, usually that minimum order is included in the advertisement.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 01-12-2012 at 01:16 AM..
Old 01-12-2012, 01:16 AM

Would they just hand you one chicken wing?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
My mother will often buy one uncooked chicken wing as one of the ingredients for her stock. This is very common, the butcher will no more raise an eyebrow at someone asking for one chicken wing than at those who want a whole lamb.
Never heard of this. Thanks. It's good to know.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:56 AM
Charter Member

I think the real question is will we still be able to land this chicken on its remaining wing?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I think the real question is will we still be able to land this chicken on its remaining wing?
How did the chicken with one wing get up there?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittekland View Post
How did the chicken with one wing get up there?
She took off from a treadmill.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:44 AM

I want the small order of chicken wings. Hold all of them but one, bring me the check for the entire order and you haven't broken any rules...
Old 01-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
She took off from a treadmill.
A smart chicken; you might get smarter by eating her.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
You must try this.

Then show up the next night and order four fried chickens and a coke.
Actually, a DIET Coke
Old 01-12-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
This is exactly what came into my head when I saw the topic.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
I want the small order of chicken wings. Hold all of them but one, bring me the check for the entire order and you haven't broken any rules...
You want me to hold the chicken wings?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:46 PM

Almost 3 1/2 hours and no one? No one?

I guess it's up to me.

Quote:
You want me to hold the chicken wings?
I want you to hold them between your knees.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 PM

In places that sell them individually priced (as in you could order seven as easily as you could order six) I'm sure you could just order one. In fact, if such a place exists I'm sure it happens. I could see someone who is on a diet ordering a salad but getting a wing to satisfy a craving.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
I set up a Freak Brothers quote in another poultry-related thread and it sat there overnight before anyone picked it up.

Kids today. They just don't know the classics.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:54 AM
Keeping my password unchanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post

I guess it's up to me.

I want you to hold them between your knees.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Somewhat related: You can buy just one nacho. Or at least you could at the taco stand I worked at in high school back in Texas. It was one big round nacho chip with a layer of cheese and other toppings. That confused many customers who asked how many nachos came with the order, even though it was clearly "Nacho," singular, on the menu.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I set up a Freak Brothers quote in another poultry-related thread and it sat there overnight before anyone picked it up.

Kids today. They just don't know the classics.
Chicken wings (preferably plural) will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no chicken wings.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

At Buffalo Wild Wings, at least, there's a minimum order (I think it's 4). Your order doesn't need to be a multiple of that (you can get 5 or 6 or 7), but it has to be at least 4. In fact, if you get multiple kinds of sauce, it's a minimum of 4 for each sauce.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
At Buffalo Wild Wings, at least, there's a minimum order (I think it's 4). Your order doesn't need to be a multiple of that (you can get 5 or 6 or 7), but it has to be at least 4. In fact, if you get multiple kinds of sauce, it's a minimum of 4 for each sauce.
Do they advertise as "X"cents/wing? And do they include this 4-wing minimum in this advertisement? If not, it would seem like false advertising to me.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:46 PM

Have you heard of the "Chicken Wing Conspiracy"? Restaurants and pizza shops are GUILTY of ripping off the public. BIG time. All of them separate the wings at the joints and charge you as if each piece is A WHOLE WING! ( I am not counting the feathery part at the end) Anyone who buys prepared wings at a pizza joint or restaurant is paying TWICE as MUCH as advertised! $.70 cent wings? NO you're going to pay $1.40 plus tax per wing. Someone should be investigating this scheme; but the government is in on it for the tax revenue. Chicken wing eaters must rise up and take back the savory buffalo style or the sweet and spicy teriyaki style or even choco-peanut butter. I propose starting an organization: WWWATCWC. WORLD WIDE WING EATERS AGAINST THE CHICKEN WING CONSPIRACY.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:47 PM

I managed a wing bar in the early '90s and yes we would sell you one single wing during "Happy Hour". We had 15 cent wings and 50 cent beer. You ordered the number of wings that you wanted. I counted them out, fried them and put them in a basket. Glad I am not doing that any longer.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obbn View Post
I managed a wing bar in the early '90s and yes we would sell you one single wing during "Happy Hour". We had 15 cent wings and 50 cent beer. You ordered the number of wings that you wanted. I counted them out, fried them and put them in a basket. Glad I am not doing that any longer.
What if I order 1 wing and water?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obbn View Post
Ahh, thank you. A real answer. Anybody ever order just one?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Ahh, thank you. A real answer. Anybody ever order just one?
Yes. Back in the 1980s, before chicken wings went national. It was actually delivered on its own plate with celery and carrot sticks.

Bars in Buffalo during the time often had 5 and 10 cent wing nights. I saw many, mostly women, order just three or four wings.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
Have you heard of the "Chicken Wing Conspiracy"? Restaurants and pizza shops are GUILTY of ripping off the public. BIG time. All of them separate the wings at the joints and charge you as if each piece is A WHOLE WING! ( I am not counting the feathery part at the end) Anyone who buys prepared wings at a pizza joint or restaurant is paying TWICE as MUCH as advertised! $.70 cent wings? NO you're going to pay $1.40 plus tax per wing. Someone should be investigating this scheme; but the government is in on it for the tax revenue. Chicken wing eaters must rise up and take back the savory buffalo style or the sweet and spicy teriyaki style or even choco-peanut butter. I propose starting an organization: WWWATCWC. WORLD WIDE WING EATERS AGAINST THE CHICKEN WING CONSPIRACY.
Bullshit. Wings were separated into drums and flats even back in the 1970s, long before their fame spread beyond the border of the City of Good Neighbors.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood View Post
Bullshit. Wings were separated into drums and flats even back in the 1970s, long before their fame spread beyond the border of the City of Good Neighbors.
? That doesn't change the fact that they take one wing, break it apart and charge you for two.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

IME, you have to have a minimum order (usually ten.. they aren't very big) and some places have a drink to order ratio that must be met (for every order of wings you have to buy one drink.. yeah we didn't go back to that one).

Darnit I want wings now. I wonder if it's wing night tomorrow at any of the places I like..
Old 01-17-2012, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post

Agree. My mother-in-law asks her (Kosher) butcher simply for "a bunch" of chicken feet every week. Getting him to cut the nails off requires a little wheedling.

I've got it! Buffalo chicken feet!

Or let Buffalo keep the upper appendages and call it the NY feet.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 01-17-2012 at 03:48 AM..
Old 01-17-2012, 04:01 AM

This is a single, named chicken wing you do not want to order. It and other similar preparations are described here.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
This is a single, named chicken wing you do not want to order. It and other similar preparations are described here.
Are you making a judgment on masochism?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 AM

I can't speak for bars, as I'm not a bar-goer, but 7-Eleven's wings are sold individually, with discounts on certain multiples of 5.
Sure, 5 is the normal order, but lots of people ask for just two, and lots more ask for 6.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
I think you mean the WWWEATCWC.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Yes! I probably do.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:46 PM

I've been to a couple 25 wing special nights in New York City and Vegas within the past 3 years. They both had minimums of something like 20 which for me, is a boatload of wings. They wouldn't let you take the excess to go either.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Lict View Post
I've been to a couple 25 wing special nights in New York City and Vegas within the past 3 years. They both had minimums of something like 20 which for me, is a boatload of wings. They wouldn't let you take the excess to go either.
Then is that really a 25-cent wing special? That's more like a 20-wing special for $5 (dine-in only).

Last edited by Ambivalid; 08-12-2012 at 08:18 PM..
Old 08-12-2012, 10:00 PM

Let's go home Cayuga. This is General Questions.