The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 02-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Long nails for guys

I keep longer nails than most men. Eventually I do cut them and they're not freakishly long. They are always clean, very white all the time. I know how to wash my hands and I get under the nails (because who wants to see dirty nails). I could always cut them before they are at a length that is considered long of course, but I'm not going to cut them just because people tell me to. I cut them when I believe is necessary.

To get to the point, many people (male and female) say its disgusting. Is this a homophobic reaction or do they actually think that long nails are dirty. Women keep long nails and they never get the impression that theirs is dirty.

Is this a case of homophobia or are they sexist?

Puzzled.
Advertisements  
Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 PM

I guess I just find longer nails on a man to be strange. I don't assume that a man with long nails is a homosexual (and at least you do keep them clean and trimmed), but it does often come across to me as an affectation or something.

(It probably doesn't help that I, myself, keep my nails super-short; you'd probably think I was strange, too. )
Old 02-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Homophobic? Probably not. I don't know of any ant-gay stereotype that talks about the length of nails (well, maybe for a cross-dresser or transsexual).

Sexist? In the sense similar to in the 60s, where restaurants would refuse to serve men with long hair, but have no problem with women with even longer hair.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 PM

It's sexism, pure and simple. I own it. I loathe long fingernails on men. It literally makes shivers of revulsion crawl up my spine.

Can't really tell you why, (except for the obvious discomfort and outright pain I've suffered at the hands of a few exes during lovemaking.) I don't think they're dirty (unless they're dirty), I just think they're gross. There's no real reason I shouldn't like nicely manicured longer nails on a man, but I just don't.

I can just about tolerate long nails on a guitarist, if he's the finger picking type, but I have to make a conscious effort to not otice his hands!

I am a creature of my culture, and this is one norm that apparently sunk in.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
It's sexism, pure and simple. I own it. I loathe long fingernails on men. It literally makes shivers of revulsion crawl up my spine.

Can't really tell you why, (except for the obvious discomfort and outright pain I've suffered at the hands of a few exes during lovemaking.) I don't think they're dirty (unless they're dirty), I just think they're gross. There's no real reason I shouldn't like nicely manicured longer nails on a man, but I just don't.

I can just about tolerate long nails on a guitarist, if he's the finger picking type, but I have to make a conscious effort to not otice his hands!

I am a creature of my culture, and this is one norm that apparently sunk in.
Pretty much this. Definitely not homophobia, because a) I love me some gay people, and b) dudes with long nails don't make me think "gay", they make me think "ew, gross."

I honestly have no idea why this is, and if a guy friend wanted to grow his nails I would try not to judge, but there's just a visceral "ick" reaction for me. It could be that I really only saw long man-nails when I worked retail, and always on guys who were "off" in other ways - creepy, overly forward, close-talkers, etc.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Homophobic? Probably not. I don't know of any ant-gay stereotype that talks about the length of nails (well, maybe for a cross-dresser or transsexual).
But of course, if you want folks to think of you as a good ol' boy, you better use the "curled fingers" method when you check your nails!!!

I should probably start a poll thread about just how long is too long for male nails. Do they have to be cut as short as humanly possible without drawing blood, or can they be ... oh, I don't know ... a millimeter or two long?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iftheresaway View Post
dudes with long nails don't make me think "gay", they make me think "ew, gross."
Ayup. For what it's worth, I also don't care for long nails on women. I really don't see the appeal of long nails at all.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

FWIW, I've ended dates with men who have long nails. Yeah, it's my Seinfeld-ism if you will and it's horribly shallow. It's my hang-up and I own it. Conversely, the chewed down fingernails are a turn on. Luckily my BF keeps 'em really short.

As for homophobic? No. We're both gay and both don't like long nails.

Sexist? I wouldn't want to see him in a dress or heels or with long hair or with anything that is feminine, but that's a preference and not a bigotry.

BTW, I'm a guitarist and a fingerpicker and while my nails could grow nice and strong, I mentally could not handle it.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 PM

What WhyNot said. I find it viscerally disgusting, and my husband knows that he's not touching me if his nails get too long. It doesn't matter if they're clean, I still find them scratchy and gross. I admit that it's sexist, but I don't see myself getting over it, either. Luckily, it affects no one but my husband, who keeps his nails short unless he forgets to cut them. I don't tend to look at other people's hands as much, so I rarely notice it on a stranger unless the guy's nails are REALLY long.

I also keep my own nails extremely short, so I don't really see the appeal of long nails on women, but just seeing long nails on a woman doesn't disgust me, probably because they're everywhere.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 PM

I don't see how it could be disgusting. Strange, different, "not appropriate for men", etc, but disgusting? That seems a weirdly strong reaction.

I only find it a bit off-putting if a guy had his nails longer than the tips of his fingers. Then I think they start to look feminine.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM

I have no explanation for it, but it literally makes me shudder sometimes. I just assumed it was a personal quirk, but I guess it's more common than I thought.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

I've thought about doing that thing where the pinky nail is the only one that grows long. Was that Dr. Evil?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
I've thought about doing that thing where the pinky nail is the only one that grows long. Was that Dr. Evil?
Or anyone doing coke in the 80s on a TV show
Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 PM

I think long nails are absolutely disgusting, regardless of gender. Blegh.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:49 PM

Long nails on guys seems to be a recent metrosexual affectation. You can't really do manual labor with long nails, so you appear "softer" and more feminine. Also, it's seen as strange because you can't really do any, um, penetrative activities with long nails. Which the norm would have us believe most guys "should" do. Or, people may suspect you of being a cocaine user, although that's more of a thing if the pinky nail is longer than the rest of your nails.

I don't really care if a random guy or a male friend has long nails, but I would say it's a turn-off if you go on a date. Because nobody wants their nether regions sliced to tiny ribbons.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:53 PM

I like boobs on a women, but not on a guy. Same thing goes for long nails.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:30 PM

I am curious what "long" is. I am lazy about triming my nails sometimes. Are people looking at them and judging me hashly?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:35 PM

When I was a kid I read something about the Mandarin (class) in China wearing their nails long to demonstrate that they didn't have to work with their hands. Ever since I've thought long nails = parasite. If they are long enough that it is hard to pick up something small, on either gender, it is a big turn off for me.
Also, it is nice to be able to give someone a massage without drawing blood <grin>.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
<snip>

I don't really care if a random guy or a male friend has long nails, but I would say it's a turn-off if you go on a date. Because nobody wants their nether regions sliced to tiny ribbons.
This. I've been with people who went probing into my girly bits and I'm sorry to tell ya, that shit hurts. Stop. it. Just please cut your goddamned fingernails or don't plan to put them anywhere near my vagina. Thank you. Or.

Learn how to flatten your fingers when in probing mode so your fingernails do not touch me. See, I have long nails and I can manage to masturbate by hand without slicing myself to bits. I'll be happy to show you how. But don't get all offended when your nails slice into something and I'm all "Ouch, dammit, quit that!" You know how you don't like teeth to be involved in the blow job? Same thing.

Last edited by Dogzilla; 02-24-2012 at 02:46 PM..
Old 02-24-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihaga View Post
I have no explanation for it, but it literally makes me shudder sometimes. I just assumed it was a personal quirk, but I guess it's more common than I thought.
Same for me. Interestingly, excessively long nails on women do that too. So, maybe it's just much longer than the norm that gives me the creeps.

Long hair on guys? No problem. Just nails. Weird.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

It makes me shudder, too, and I don't think there's even a hint of homophobia involved since, like a few others, I don't even like long nails on women. The do, however, strike me as dirty, probably because they come across as flimsy and nothing is hidden by polish. If I were dating again, that would be a deal-breaker for me.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:23 PM

It strikes me more as either just laziness / blue collar if they aren't kept nice or gothy / other subculture if they are.

It turns me off, but I don't like long nails on women either.

It also makes me wonder about practical considerations. If I'm away from home and forgot my clippers or whatever, I find it increasingly annoying to use my iPod touch or type on a keyboard. And accidental scrapes while rubbing my eyes, washing, or masturbating become much more common.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjepson View Post
I should probably start a poll thread about just how long is too long for male nails. Do they have to be cut as short as humanly possible without drawing blood, or can they be ... oh, I don't know ... a millimeter or two long?
I think that if you hold your hand up palmside to you and you can see any white tips, your nails are too long. And the edges should be smooth, not ragged. I don't care if the nails are manicured or not, but a smooth edge tells me you're aware of personal hygiene and can wield a nail clipper or file with ease.

For what it's worth, that's how they checked us for the OB rotation (even though we didn't actually do any pelvic exams, we had to meet code for the floor), so I assume that's a good length for not slicing vaginas during fun time, too.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:59 PM

I'm with the posters who have a visceral "ick" reaction to long nails on men (and usually women, too, for that matter). I keep my own nails short mostly because they start to drive me crazy when they get even slightly long.

I'm curious what the OP gets out of having long nails. Do you just think they're pretty, and don't care what anyone else thinks? If so, do you have a partner, and what does he or she think? If you don't have a partner, does it not bother you that this is a huge turnoff to a large majority of the dating pool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless
I am curious what "long" is. I am lazy about triming my nails sometimes. Are people looking at them and judging me hashly?
I'll go with WhyNot's fingertip thing, although I think fingertip length is pushing it for a guy. And yes, people are judging you harshly for it.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

I'm not into really long nails on a woman, but I tend to forget about my own nails and let them grow out pretty long. I started growing them long as a child to prove I could stop compulsively biting them.

Right now I have one thumbnail that's pretty long, that I didn't trim when I last did the others. I guess that's creepy then.

ETA: The others are "too long" by WhyNot's OB standard. Heh. Good. Maybe I can leave my hair unkempt and wear one colored contact lens....

Last edited by foolsguinea; 02-24-2012 at 07:28 PM..
Old 02-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

I don't like long nails on guys, either - I'm not totally disgusted or anything, but I just don't like them. I do worry about hygiene with long nails, on both men and women. What really grosses me out is waitstaff with long nails - you better be scrubbing those puppies hourly to keep them clean!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Anyone here see Doubt (the movie or the play)?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 PM

Long nails on guys are very unattractive. It tells me he can't fix stuff, and it tells me he has no idea about being intimate with a woman. Both of those things rule him right out from dating prospects, and probably from friendship, too. ('Cause my guy friends help me fix stuff.)

(I'm female with short nails like these, though did have relatively short acrylics for several years in the 90's - those are nice and smooth and not sharp at all, though, a lot like these)
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
<snip>

I'm curious what the OP gets out of having long nails. Do you just think they're pretty, and don't care what anyone else thinks? If so, do you have a partner, and what does he or she think? If you don't have a partner, does it not bother you that this is a huge turnoff to a large majority of the dating pool?

<Snip>
I personally don't have any strong feelings one way or the other with regard to my own nails. Mine aren't freakishly long, but they are long. I do not care what anyone but my partner thinks. He really, really, really likes long, slut-red nails. He also really, really, really likes slut-red toenails. Because catering to this fetish does not put me out in any way and I don't mind, I cater to his fetish. ETA: My nails currently look a lot like the second link posted in the post just above this one. If I weren't catering to the fetish, I would keep them just a little bit shorter because I tend to make more typing mistakes when they are this long.

Last edited by Dogzilla; 02-27-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Anyone here see Doubt (the movie or the play)?
Exactly what I thought of when I saw this thread.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I'll go with WhyNot's fingertip thing, although I think fingertip length is pushing it for a guy. And yes, people are judging you harshly for it.
{checking nails using WhyNot's technique} .... Whew. Looks like I'm OK. I did just trim them recently though. It's good to know why I get those funny looks from people all the time.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
I think that if you hold your hand up palmside to you and you can see any white tips, your nails are too long.
I'm cool, then. (Whew!) If they approached that length, I'd have a hard time typing.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsimian View Post
When I was a kid I read something about the Mandarin (class) in China wearing their nails long to demonstrate that they didn't have to work with their hands. Ever since I've thought long nails = parasite. If they are long enough that it is hard to pick up something small, on either gender, it is a big turn off for me.
Also, it is nice to be able to give someone a massage without drawing blood <grin>.
I have seen many men in different countries in Asia that have long fingernails.
I have been told that it is to show that they work do not have to with their hands.
Not sure about them being parasites, as perhaps they are trying to tell people that they
have a job that does not require manual labor, but I do think it looks really nasty.

Some of them do not keep the nails clean, and I have observed them using the long nails to clean their ears and noses.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:43 AM

It's gross, just utterly icky on a guy.

Two men I work with have long nails and the women at work commonly discuss how squicked out we all are by the thought of either of those two guys touching us. One fellow seems to just be careless about fingernail trimming in general, it looks like when they get too long for him he whacks them off straight across, leaving long sharp corners on each finger. Looks dangerous.
The other guy is a total creep on many different levels, he's got carefully filed oval nails with a good quarter inch of white on each, and the oh-so-special pinky nails nearly an inch long.

The odd thing is that they're both guys that work with their hands for a living, so they must have to really make an effort to not break those things. It's cringe-inducing whenever I notice it, and I make a concerted effort to look at their faces and not their hands whenever I interact with them.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:26 AM

battling ignorance but abounds here

What is stranger a man with long nails or you folk that think it is creepy or gross or all of these other reaaly nasty and ignorant comments? To me its all of you who voiced such negative reactions because you are so programmed to believe the binary gender identity syatem we have.

If a man wants to express his feminine self by growing out his nails like me (they are 1/4" past my fingertips and polished, clean and white at all times) then so what? It doesnt make me a perv or a creep. I just like the way it makes me feel when I touch things and I love the way they look too.

If you dont like the way they look then that is a personal preference. But to ascribe sucb mean and hateful attributes to them (you wouldnt even be friends with a guy with long nails...Really? Youre a shitty person and youre doing the long-nailed man such a favor) is just plane ignorant.

No wonder the transgender community is treated so poorly around the world. Normal sucks. Long live people who are proud enough to be who they are.

Last edited by meta4ia; 08-29-2013 at 01:28 AM..
Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 PM

I was seeing a guy who just had the long pinky nail. I never asked him but I believe it was something relating to Asian culture. I figure either that, or he was doing drugs. I have to say, whatever it was, it was a turn off.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:05 PM

Doesn't make me think "gay" so much as "there's a guy who does little to no manual labor". Yes, I know of gloves, but that's my initial reaction.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:18 PM

It would never even occur to me to pay attention to the length of a guy's nails (unless there was something really odd about them, like the long pinky nail thing).
Old 08-29-2013, 04:30 PM

I think long nails are gross on men, but they are equally gross on women. Same goes for painted nails.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:57 PM

Long nails on guys are for booger pickin' or coke snortin', neither of which I want any part of.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I don't think they're disgusting as long as they aren't abnormally long -- as in much longer than most women's nails. Then again women's nails that are a lot longer than average are somewhat disgusting as well.

Of course, lengthened nails on women with short hair doesn't even warrant a second thought, whereas long-ish nails on men look perfectly normal only if their hair is also long. It still isn't disgusting, just weird.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:34 PM

Not really inherently gross or anything, but it says one of two things:
- the guy isn't motivated enough to perform basic hygienic maintenance
- the guy has a some kind of narcissistic affectation that overrides practical matters

Neither trait is all that desirable in a guy. The latter is like a guy wearing high heels. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but no one wears heels because they're good as shoes. They wear them because they want others to notice how attractive they are, or because they're socially expected*. As a society, we've accepted that this is ok for women to do. For a guy to adopt the same behavior pattern, he has to go out of his way and call even more attention to himself. It's just not a trait that is very prevalent among my friends.

* Ok, maybe some women just like the feeling of being tall. And maybe some people wear long nails because they pick up tiny screws all day.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:13 PM
These are ATTACK eyebrows!
Charter Member

I don't like long nails on men or women, but they're particularly icky on men. Maybe it's because most women with long nails paint them, while the guys I've seen don't. The longer the nails, the ickier I think they are. Watching people of either gender trying to perform basic tasks (like picking up small objects) with those long talons is just excruciating (plus I always have it in the back of my mind that they're gonna break, which really squicks me out.)

Not homophobia--in fact I think I might be slightly more inclined to not be squicked out if the guy had longish nails but they were painted (especially if they were painted some gothy color like black). If I see a guy with long unpainted nails I think he's either too lazy to trim them or he's some kind of hippie throwback type.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:45 PM

Cleanliness is most important, but when it comes to dead keratin hanging off the human body (nails, hair), for me it's more about shape and grooming than length. Just like hair, there are good and bad long nails.

All the straight guys I've ever seen who wear their nails longer practice benign neglect in this, and usually other aspects of grooming, and let them 'grow out' into an ugly, irregular spade shape. No matter how clean they are, it looks terrible and skeeves me out. Same as when I see unmanicured, badly shaped, longer nails on women (which is rare). I know some gay men that wear them longer but they shape them neatly and it looks nice. I also have met a lot of guys from Asia and Central America with the one very long pinky nail; they file it to shape it, and it doesn't bug me.

These days I usually wear my own nails on the longer side, and without maintenance they will grow out into that ugly spade shape, as I have blunt rather than tapered fingertips. I file them twice a week to keep them oval, and often paint them.

I used to habitually wear my nails cut down to the quick, and I've found that nails grown to the end of or slightly past the fingertips are much more useful when working with the hands. Much longer than that they are a liability though.

Last edited by rhubarbarin; 08-31-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Old 08-31-2013, 07:38 PM

I hate long nails, but I can't play guitar without them. It's unfortunate. I'll trim them really short sometimes, but then I have to wait until they grow back to play again.

The fretting hand nails of course have to be trimmed constantly to be as short as possible.

Last edited by Carmady; 08-31-2013 at 07:40 PM..
Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meta4ia View Post
What is stranger a man with long nails or you folk that think it is creepy or gross or all of these other reaaly nasty and ignorant comments? To me its all of you who voiced such negative reactions because you are so programmed to believe the binary gender identity syatem we have.

If a man wants to express his feminine self by growing out his nails like me (they are 1/4" past my fingertips and polished, clean and white at all times) then so what? It doesnt make me a perv or a creep. I just like the way it makes me feel when I touch things and I love the way they look too.

If you dont like the way they look then that is a personal preference. But to ascribe sucb mean and hateful attributes to them (you wouldnt even be friends with a guy with long nails...Really? Youre a shitty person and youre doing the long-nailed man such a favor) is just plane ignorant.

No wonder the transgender community is treated so poorly around the world. Normal sucks. Long live people who are proud enough to be who they are.
You complain about other people having a "binary gender identity system" yet in the next sentence you also associate long nails to femininity. Pot, meet kettle.

You're getting way too worked up over something as dumb and pointless as fingernails. Not to mention that you opened a thread that's over 1 1/2 years old. I did, however, enjoy your typo of "plane ignorant" and think that would be a good username. Overall I give your rant 1.5/10.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 AM
An 8th-note short of a 4/4 bar

Long nails on guys, eh? What about long nails on male zombies? I heard that the nails appear to grow even after death.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:05 AM

If I see a guy with long nails I'll check both hands first, as he could be a guitar player. If both are long I'll wonder how he keeps them that way during a 12 hour shift down't pit. If both are long and painted I'll be quick to make an assumption.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

I'm a guy, and I don't like to see long nails on guys if it's because they are careless or like the way it looks. I don't think it's gross or disgusting; I find that an odd reaction. But it does make me wonder, the same way I'll never understand why people get pierced tongues.

I play the guitar and the nails on my right hand are longer than average, and I keep the left hand nails pretty short. I dated a girl who was a little turned off until she noticed my left hand, and figured it out. I have short nail beds so my right-hand nails are a little more noticeable even though they barely extend past the fingertips, just because there is so much of the white part.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:34 PM

Skipping any further zomby-isms, I've found the "Guys with long nails" thing to be a "Black" and/or "Old Man" affectation. Also hermits, but mostly older hermits.