The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Any reason I should avoid buying a Volvo S60 for the same price as a Camry/Accord?

Man, I love Volvos, especially the recent S60/80 line. They're gorgeous, and I still miss my 240 that I had way back in college. Looking at the prices in the classifieds and carmax, I was surprised to see that I can get one for around the same price/miles as a Camry or Accord. Is there any reason I shouldn't - are the current Volvos more expensive to repair or maintain than they used to be? Are they more or less reliable? I really don't want to do a ton of research on the subject, because I was just planning on getting a boring Camry or another Accord - but now I want a gorgeous S60!
Advertisements  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:47 PM

Hee hee, I grew up with a Volvo 240. Love 'em. When I met my husband he was driving an 850 identical to the one I had in college. It's not the reason I fell in love with him, but it didn't hurt.

The drawback of a Volvo is that it can be hard to find parts for them and hard to find someone who will work on them. If you have a Volvo dealership in a convenient location you're all set though. I do think the parts are somewhat more expensive than those for Japanese cars, but if you're buying a new Volvo it oughta be quite a while before you need any...
Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 PM

In general, parts and service for European cars are more expensive and harder to find than for Asian and American cars.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 PM

No cite, but I've heard the Volvos are plagued with little electrical gremlins. The Toyota or Honda would be bullit-proof.

I'd buy the Volvo, however.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 PM

As others have said, parts are less common and more expensive.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 PM

I have an s40 that I love quite deeply and have had no problems - friend has an s60 that she has had no issues either - both are 07s - my mom has an 08 camery (hybrid) and hasn't had many issues either.

FWIW - we seem to pay about the same for maintenance.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
No cite, but I've heard the Volvos are plagued with little electrical gremlins. The Toyota or Honda would be bullit-proof.

I'd buy the Volvo, however.
At one time, they were. But no longer. Volvos are bullet proof. But yes, parts are not as cheap. I'd get the Volvo, too.

Last edited by DrDeth; 04-14-2012 at 02:53 AM..