The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: Have you ever done a very bad thing?
Definitely yes! 37 63.79%
Definitely no! 3 5.17%
What is a 'very bad thing' anyway? 10 17.24%
Huh? 3 5.17%
I need a hamburger. 5 8.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 PM
BANNED

Have you ever done a very bad thing?

Have you ever done a very bad thing? Have you ever been scolded before for doing the very bad thing? Do you remember the punishment? What is the very bad thing that you have done? How many very bad things have you done? Under what circumstances have you done very bad things? When you do very bad things, can you describe the locations and settings where the very bad thing occurred? How do you feel after doing a very bad thing? What do your parents say to you when you have done a very bad thing? Do you do very bad things now, or are you a good person who refrains from doing very bad things?
Advertisements  
Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 PM

[Eddie Izzard]

Confessor: Vicar, I have done many bad things!

Vicar: well so have I

[/Eddie Izzard]
Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 PM

Kicked a blind guy. In the back. When he wasn't expecting it.

He said something that pissed me off...and...I totally lost it.

He's a better person than I am; he kept a handful of others from beating the crapola out of me, as I pretty damn well deserved. And he forgave me, and apologized for being snarky. How's that for heaping coals of fire upon my head?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 PM

When my brother and I were much smaller (probably about 6 and 8) we thought it would be fun to burn down our neighbor's house because we didn't like the woman who lived there. With the help of some different neighbor kids, we stole some matches and lighter fluid. The gutter was melting and falling off the house before we decided to abandon the project and hide in the playground.

When we were caught, both my brother and I promptly placed the entire blame on the kids who helped us, resulting in them being grounded for the entire summer and us getting off scot free. I think their dad also had to pay for and physically repair the gutters, too.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:58 PM

I have said some very nasty things to people who didn't deserve it. I have tried sometimes succeeding and sometimes failing, to take advantage of some people for my own gratification regardless of their feelings. So... yeah.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 AM

They blend together so seamlessly; I cannot distinguish single acts.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:25 AM

There is a special place in Hell for me.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 AM

When I was a sound man, one night Ray Charles was the performer. He had a big orchestra with him, but on this tour he was trying to recapture the sound of the bands he had back in the day. The instructions were vocal microphones only. One for Ray at the acoustic piano, one at the Rhodes and a pair for the Raylettes.

The problem is that horn players these days, unlike the players back in the day, do NOT know how to play quietly. That became painfully obvious during the soundcheck, as the horns drowned out both the grand and the Rhodes.

So after the check, I had to sneak a mic in under the piano. Which is a pretty damn shitty thing to do to a blind man.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post

So after the check, I had to sneak a mic in under the piano. Which is a pretty damn shitty thing to do to a blind man.
No it's not. I had to do shit like that a lot, because nobody an stage has any real fuckin' clue what it sounds like in the house.

I once did sound for a performance that was broadcast on Univision, and I didn't have an option to do separate mixes for the house and the broadcast feed. So I mixed for the feed (which was a MUCH larger audience), and the people in the house had pretty shitty mix. And I don't count what I did as a really bad thing.

But at least I didn't have to lie to a blind guy.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:05 AM

You talk about punishment, SDMBKL. So I'm thinking Very Bad Things from childhood. One time I set an upholstered chair on fire in the cement block trash receptical of our housing project near the shipyards. I was so young that I think I was amazed that I had achieved flame. Went home and told on myself. Fire trucks ensued. Got switched across the back of my legs, which was fitting. After that, tho, when circumstances changed, I was in trouble every single day of my life, same intensity, for stuff I couldn't even figure out. So I don't count any of that.

When I reached legal age I knowingly did several Very Bad Things. Some I thoroughly enjoyed. Some were just wrong. But the only things I've regretted are the things I did that hurt somebody's feelings.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 AM

The worst thing I ever done, I mixed up all this fake puke at home. And then I went to this movie theater, and hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony, and then…then I made a noise like this. HUurrk... And then I dumped it over the side, on all the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick, and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Well, at least you didn't kick him in the back.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 PM

Rastopopoulos thinks he is bad, but he is nothing! I am far worse! Ha ha, I am the most evil person in the world! Carreidas
Old 04-14-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaroph View Post
The worst thing I ever done, I mixed up all this fake puke at home. And then I went to this movie theater, and hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony, and then…then I made a noise like this. HUurrk... And then I dumped it over the side, on all the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick, and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.
haha oh god, that is so terrible. And terribly funny. ewwww hahah
Old 04-14-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
This inspired me when I was a kid. We mixed up a bunch of fake puke and poured it on the tree in the boulevard in front of the house. Then we watched as people walked by and were horrified by the sight. It still makes me giggle more than 25 years later.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

When I was seven I read a comic book on a Sunday. The punishment was to hold on to it while it burned, when I dropped it the punishment was about 30 licks with a switch. This was just the start of my decent into true evil.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Such a good movie that was.

Yes, I've done some very bad things. You can read about some of them here.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

In a former life, I ran a crane aboard a large vessel (offshore oil stuff). One morning I was lifting large pieces of plate steel into place for welding. My radio had failed and we were using a flagger, because it was a blind* lift. At some point my flagger was replaced by another guy, I assume due to shift change, lunch, etc. During the first lift with this guy, he was giving some odd signals, mainly placing the boom at a lower angle. I wondered if this was right, but went ahead and followed his instructions. When I lifted it, 10,000 lbs of plate steel started hurtling away toward some workers, and I couldn't stop it. Not with the belly tugger, and not by dropping it back to the deck. It slammed into a wall literally inches from a welder. He wasn't hurt, but it did a lot of damage and foremen came running from everywhere.

It turned out that the flagger they'd given me had never flagged a crane before. He didn't know a head block from a whipline, and had set up a dangerous situation where I was lifting without having the boom over the load. Since it was a blind lift, I was deemed not at fault (and IIRC a few people got to look for new jobs). It still bothers me though, because I had a feeling at the time that something wasn't right, and I went ahead and followed the signals. I still have an occasional nightmare over this, even though it's been 30 years.

*blind lift: Something the crane operator can't see, like on the other side of the building or structure.

Last edited by pullin; 04-15-2012 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: typos