The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 04-15-2012, 12:16 AM

Ok, it's finished... all but a last proofread before I submit it.

Time for bed!
Advertisements  
Old 04-15-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyrose View Post
It is, for all intents and purposes, the only N/S interstate in the eastern US
And that is why it's evil and full of bad traffic. That's why the last time SpazFamily had to drive on I-95 to Parts North, we left at 6 p.m. and arrived in Delaware at 2 a.m. There was no traffic through DC. None. Just road construction.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 64 Amurrkin out with a predicted high of 86. A return to "normal" south Jawja Spring weather.

Ok, all this talk about I95 reminded of one of my favorite all time songs, The I95 Asshole Song. Always glad to enlighten.
Hope the papers all done StickyBuns.

Yikes mmmmmms and all other Mumpers in the path of those storms! Stay safe.

Now I need me some more caffiene and should consider brekkie. Perhaps I should give OYKW the honor of takin' me to brekkie. That'd be so sweet of me! Guess that means I should go purtify for deheathenization then.

Happy Sunday Y'all!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:37 AM

I had a very disturbed night, woke up several times for different reasons so eventually I got up relatively early for a Sunday and got the Dyson out to clean the floors. Ophelia was suitably disgusted since she hates the Dyson, but I thought it was not so bad because it's sunny and she could go and hide in the garden. In case you're wondering by now, Ophelia is a cat.

After vacuuming, I briefly considered some other domestic chores but sanitty prevailed and I had a cup of tea instead. I have no plans for the rest of the day, 'im indoors is still visiting his family so I have the day to myself. I might watch stuff, I might read a book, I might even tidy out the wardrobe and bag up the stuff that should go to the charity shop.

There might be half an hour on the Wii if I feel like it, but right now I shall have another cup of tea and contemplate lunch. That is enough of a chore for now.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:39 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
<snip> cut the dead tree down for a million bucks.
Oh, can I identify! We've had half a dozen trees removed over the last couple of years and the estimates seemed a bit harsh, but when they were done (in a surprisingly short time) and the unwanted trees were gone, along with all the debris and the stumps, suddenly, it was money well spent. That didn't stop FCD from buying a chainsaw and lumberjackin' some other trees, but he messes with the ones that won't fall on the house if he goofs up and with stumps that won't be in the way of the lawnmower. Of course, I have to load and haul the leavin's, but it's fresh air and exercise, right?

Good morning! And good grief, did my kittehs miss me! I went back to bed before FCD, and I had one cat plastered to my side and another planted in the middle of my chest, both purring like crazy! And this morning, they've been demanding skritches. Apparently neither one likes living in a human-free environment. Our critter sitter was barely around for 30 minutes at a time so they were alone for the better part of 8 days.

Much laundry will be sorted and started today, with the added bonus of the bed linens that had been horked upon. I have to wash the comforter when I can hang it outside - the washer can handle it, but not the dryer. Beyond that, I'll get back into my regular rhythm of working in the yard and doing household chores. Now that the weather will allow, I can wash the windows and shampoo the carpets! Woohoo!! It's good to be home!

One especially nice thing that came out of our visit - our friends Betty and Dave want to go on a cruise with us. Next time we intend to go, we're supposed to get in touch with them. That will be much fun!

Meanwhile, I have a metric buttload of comics and Dear Abby columns to wade thru to get caught up...

Happy Sunday!!
Old 04-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

We are OK and in one piece. Second storm line blew through at 4 am lots of wind And thunder and lightening and rain - we have not checked the house yet - but we are OK

Small town in northwest OK was devastated by a big one and Iowa and Kansas got hammered. We are counting our blessings and consider ourselves very lucky.

Last edited by ems; 04-15-2012 at 07:58 AM..
Old 04-15-2012, 08:30 AM

Approximately 30 minutes ago I was awakened from a very sound sleep by my grandma so that I could give the dogs their breakfast. (They're all eating bland food while Bubba is.) I can assure you, however, that they would not have starved if they would have had to wait for me to wake up on my own.

Now I need to go find some breakfast for me.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm the *Cute* one. =^.^=

I hear bland dog food is popular . . .
Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

rosie! Let's just say it's a good thing I took a sip of my café con leche AFTER I read that.

Glad you're OK, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Nice to see you made it home safely, Mommmmmmmmmm. Your kitty anecdote made me smile.

Yay on finished papers, Sticky!

Hope something surprising happened and you found your way to the apiary, Nut. That sounds like fun.

Slept till almost 9:30, which is unheard of. Am contemplating where to go for breakfast. Really want to go out, but not sure where to.

Need to clean the fridge today and get some work done in the garden.

Off to start the day...

Hugs.

GT
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

A coupla' assholes have overrun the rental times on their rototillers, leaving me in the lurch for starting this year's Garden of Weedin.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I'm glad you're safe, ems.

I'm glad you're home safe from your trip, FCM.

I'm glad you got your paper done, Sticky.

I'm glad I have coffee this morning.

We had a great time with our friends yesterday; good food, lots of laughs, and even exercise in the form of badminton.

I need to tidy the house up, vacuum, dust, and wash the floors because apparently my husband invited our friends over for dinner today. This blows my plans out of the water as I wanted to spend time outdoors weeding and washing my Expedition. It really needs to be washed, but washing that thing is not a 20 minute job.

Also, I'll have to trek back to the store and buy tossed salad fixings. I didn't want to have to go back to the store today. I dunno, I might make my husband do it.

Anyway, I'm going to cruise the net for a bit and then get going on the chores.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 AM

Hi, everybody! I slept in until 8 and feel like quite the slug. :-D

I'm beginning to feel human again and as if the universe is not about to dump a load of scrap metal on my head.

Dad's been started on Seroquel, which is an odd medicine. At low doses, it's a sedative. At medium doses, it's a mood stablizer, and at high doses, it's an anti-psychotic. Dad's on a very low dose. Yesterday, his first day, he stayed in his bathrobe all day long and never combed his hair. He was grumpy but didn't lash out. Hard to say if that's the new med or just that he wasn't feeling very good. It's clear from his behavior and what he says that he knows something is wrong, but since he's in complete denial regarding his memory problems, there's no explaining or reassuring him.

He does believe there's a conspiracy to deprive old men of their driving privileges, because he talked to his two childhood friends on the phone yesterday - the only socializing he does outside our family. It turns out both of them can't drive either. One because he has no vision in one eye, the other, I don't know why. Instead of taking this as 'sometimes old age is a bitch', he now believes the world is out to get him. *sigh*

I spent yesterday talking to friends back in Dallas, and it was very helpful. My other brother said flat out that I should move back. I've done three and a half years as the dutiful daughter, he says. That's enough. I'm inclined to agree. I may stay with him for up to two months while I get a job and save money for an apartment. I think this is an excellent idea, though it does make me uncomfortable. Of course, that's the point.

I just keep thinking about what it would be like to have space of my own again - a place that's mine, that I get to decide what gets put up and what stays out, where my priorities are, and so forth. It's a very, very happy thought.

I checked one of the placement agencies I signed up with long ago, and they have a list of positions waiting to be filled. The ones I can get for certain are fairly low pay, but if there are benefits, that's okay. I would like to see if I can't get an entry level database analyst job, which pays better than teaching and would allow me to move up and maybe even work from home. We'll see.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taters View Post
e job.

Also, I'll have to trek back to the store and buy tossed salad fixings... I dunno, I might make my husband do it.
Hell, yes!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! Home from deheathenization. More on that shortly. It was ummm.... interestin'.

Welcome back MOOOOOOM! Have the kitties forgiven you yet? I have a mental image of FCD in the back yard with his chainsaw singin' as he chainsaws away.

kanga sounds like some solid plans in the makin'. I guess one of the lucky things with my dad is that his vision did go sorta bad enough he decided he shouldn't drive anymore on his own.

Taters Mr. Taters should definitely go to the sto'. Plus when he gets back you should send him again to get sump'n you forgot about. That'll learn him!

Now about deheathenization. BBBobbio and any other Mumper Lutherans who are ELCA flavor will appreciate this. Or not. This is the 11th anniversary of the Call To Common Mission between the ELCA and ECUSA. Essentially this means we can exchange Ministers and also say, one is ELCA but lives somewhere where there is no ELC A church but there is an Episcopal church. He/she could attend the Episcopal church with full Communion and remain Lutheran. This works the other way around also. Ok, so this mornin' the folks from Our Savior ELCA joined us. Last year when we did this, we had an Episcopal service. This year cause, well, fair's fair I guess, we had a Lutheran service. That's where the interestin' part comes in. The two services are kinda close but the ELCA liturgy is not nearly as involved as the Episcopal liturgy and thereby seemed to kinda zip by, especially durin' the Eucharist. Also, the Confession comes at the very start of the service and is very short and sweet. Episcopalians BTW do not use the Confession durin' the Easter season. We also sang the Kyrie Eleison which I thought was odd cause that's a Lenten thing in the Episcopal church. I noticed durin the Eucharist that the Lutheran Minister did not bless the bread and wine. Heh. I caught YP doin' a silent blessin' though. We also had a lot of what I call touchy-feely hippy-dippy type service music. I realize this may not be true of all ELCA churches but it was WAAAAAAAAAAY TOOOO touchy-feely hippy-dippy for this staid and stodgy Episcopalian.

I came to a conclusion, however. I think we Episcopalians could take a page or two from Lutheran liturgy and lighten up a bit. I also think the Lutherans could take a page oor two from Episcopal Liturgy and, for lack of a better term, "church" it up a bit. Maybe I could start my own church. The Lutherpalian Church or The Episcoutheran Church.

Thus endeth today's lesson on Liturgy.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
I have a mental image of FCD in the back yard with his chainsaw singin' as he chainsaws away.
Make that the front yard, and you've got it right. He does sing that song, tho he tends to screw up the words...

We just finished rearranging the aquarium to accommodate the rock and the corals we brought back from FL. Two of the 3 new corals look good, one is iffy... There's stuff growing on the rocks, too, but we were warned that the yellow tangs would eat it all, and by golly, they're starting to nosh. Once the water clears and all the corals and anemones open up, I'll take some pics and post them.

Taters - I also vote that your spousal unit should haul his buns to the store since it was his idea that you entertain tonight. In fact, you should tell him that next time he wants a playdate with his friends, he'll have to do all the prep! Mebbe that'll learn 'im!

Kanga - Do you still need to be encouraged to move back to TX? 'Cause I'll add my voice to the chorus. I think, tho, that you should go to Houston so you can hang with Rebo and lieu - they're good peoples!

Other than having breakfast and helping my spousal unit with the aquarium, I haven't done a thing today. I should probably pull something out of the freezer for supper. Or we could just do PB&J. How motivated am I??

Off to read more comics, since I was interrupted earlier to go eat...
Old 04-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I had a little nappy poo for an hour. Ya'd think I'd be energized. Nope. It's really nice out. 81 degrees with a nice little breeze blowin'. I could be out there doin' a little of the yahd irk that remains to be done but not happenin'. I find lazin' around da cave to be more to my likin' right now.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Just so y'all know I have not been a total slug, I clipped my toenails. That counts as bein' productive cause they needed clippin'. So There!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Ok, all this talk about I95 reminded of one of my favorite all time songs, The I95 Asshole Song. Always glad to enlighten.
I approve of this song. I'd like to subtitle it the I-26 song.

By the way, swampy, Your Presiding Bishop is returning to The Workplace of Spaz. This time Widespread Panic is nowhere around so maybe we'll get through this without needing a special intention said. I'm also off tomorrow which is good because I'm wiped out today.

If you think the ELCA Lutheran service is stodgy now, you should have been around before they changed the music for the liturgy. It used to be much more like the singing in this video around the 50 second mark. Edit: Aw, they cut off the punchline for the Holy Ghost part.

Last edited by SpazCat; 04-15-2012 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: "Holy Ghost, this is not an episode of Scooby Doo!"
Old 04-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazCat View Post
If you think the ELCA Lutheran service is stodgy now, you should have been around before they changed the music for the liturgy. It used to be much more like the singing in this video around the 50 second mark. Edit: Aw, they cut off the punchline for the Holy Ghost part.
Spaz I'm not sayin' the ELCA Lutheran service is stodgy. I'm sayin' by comparison the ECUSA liturgy is stodgy. We do tend to be a staid and stodgy lot. I thought the Lutheran liturgy this mornin' was a little touchy-feely-hippy-dippy for my staid and stodgy Episcopalian taste. However, as I said earlier, the ECUSA could borrow a couple of pages from the ELCA liturgy and loosen up a bit while the ELCA could borrow a page or two from the ECUSA liturgy and for lack of a better word "church" it up a bit. Perhaps a better word would be "staid" it up a bit? "Stodgy" it up a bit sounds not right. Mayhaps the best word would be "formalize" it up a bit. It was a good thing to experience a different liturgy and if I were in a place without an Episcopal church but an ELCA church I'd attend but it's not what I'd want as a steady diet.

Last edited by swampbear; 04-15-2012 at 04:13 PM..
Old 04-15-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyrose View Post
I hear bland dog food is popular . . .

Actually I had pop tarts and then more Mexican lasagna for lunch. At this point, Mexican lasagna has sort of overstayed it's welcome but it was here so I ate it.

I've managed to be slightly productive today by cleaning out my car. I didn't wash and vacuum it, but I did sort through the layers of junk on the floor.

Now I'm going to contemplate dinner which will NOT be Mexican lasagna.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks and Scones View Post

Now I'm going to contemplate dinner which will NOT be Mexican lasagna.
Canadian lasagna? German lasagna? Norwegian lasagna? The possibilities are endless!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Back from Salsa's, which was supper by consensus. It was yum, also.

I forgot, in addition to helping FCD with the aquarium, I vacuumed the Sonata - it got pretty grungy in FL. But that's about all I did today. Tomorrow will be much laundry-ing and maybe some gardening, depending on how hot it gets. But the rest of tonight will be knitting and chilling.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:52 PM

So here I was getting ready to do a little victory dance because I just finally turned in my paper and I have finished every possible thing related to school that I can do and...

Mickey walks in the room and pees on the carpet right in front of me.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

StickyBuns it's all your fault. Mickey thought, "she looks a little toooooo happy and this just cannot be tolerated."

So, have we got a starter for tomorrow? Mayhaps MOOOOOOM will thrill us with tales of Flahrduh?

As for da bear, time to switch off this here thinkin' machine and go lie upon the bed and watch teevee 'til sleepy bye time.

Nitey Nite Y'all!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mickey walks in the room and pees on the carpet right in front of me.
I'm new here.

Is Mickey a husband or a cat?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I'm new here.

Is Mickey a husband or a cat?
Female dog with 'issues.'
Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Female dog with 'issues.'
Ah.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm the *Cute* one. =^.^=

and with that giggle, I shall crawl off to sleep. See y'all next MMP
Old 04-15-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Spaz I'm not sayin' the ELCA Lutheran service is stodgy. I'm sayin' by comparison the ECUSA liturgy is stodgy. We do tend to be a staid and stodgy lot. I thought the Lutheran liturgy this mornin' was a little touchy-feely-hippy-dippy for my staid and stodgy Episcopalian taste. However, as I said earlier, the ECUSA could borrow a couple of pages from the ELCA liturgy and loosen up a bit while the ELCA could borrow a page or two from the ECUSA liturgy and for lack of a better word "church" it up a bit. Perhaps a better word would be "staid" it up a bit? "Stodgy" it up a bit sounds not right. Mayhaps the best word would be "formalize" it up a bit. It was a good thing to experience a different liturgy and if I were in a place without an Episcopal church but an ELCA church I'd attend but it's not what I'd want as a steady diet.
I meant stodgy was what the ELCA used to be before they changed the key of the liturgy. I am still tired after a nap. I have a hot date with my pillow I need to keep.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Prickly

So, talk already