The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 04-17-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
They were on SNL a couple weeks ago, and I was embarrassed for anybody who liked them. Not only was the singing first week American Idol material, but they all kept grabbing their junk. I guess teenage girls think that's sexy.
Oh no that was Juan Direction.

I actually thought they killed it on SNL (which was a relief because to be perfectly frank I thought their performance on the Today show a couple weeks prior was ABYSMAL. Just so you know I'm not biased.) To be fair I think they used a backing track on SNL, but if you'll humor me and watch an acoustic performance of one of their songs on a radio interview you will see they are actually quite good singers.

Junk Skip to the 21st minute mark. (Unpopular opinion: with the exception of Harry. Sorry Harry.) In fact when I'd dragged my friend to see the 1D/BTR show She turned to me halfway through 1D's second song and said "Oh my god -they're actually singing!"

(You are of course welcome to listen to the whole interview but I'm guessing you're probably not interested in which band member has the smelliest farts?)

As for the concerts thing...I dunno. I'm not what you'd call a "people person" and usually eschew interacting with them but there is a whole internet "thing" now where, as you know, people who have similar interests can seek each other out and share the same tired inside jokes and bond. And we kind of are cool and familiar with each other. I had the good fortune of sitting next to "cool mom & dad" who were BTR fans at the concert and we talked and had a good time, and during intermission when I went to the bar to get a drink there was NO LINE and some girl half my age said "I like your shirt!" ("Keep Calm and Carrot On." Heh? Heh?)

But I kind of feel like I'm making up for lost concerts not seen when I was a kid. I remember begging my mom to go see Duran Duran multiple times when I was so into them but it was always an issue of location or money. Wham - did Wham actually ever tour? LOL. I dunno - did convince my mom to go see Paul McCartney
on his Flowers in the Dirt tour and we loved that, then saw him recently with the exish-husband on the "Up and Coming" tour (get it?) Took me 15 years of being a Pet Shop Boys fan before seeing them live (and I never thought that would happen) and actually MEETING them 5 years later. Last year my mom and I flew to London to watch the premier of their ballet opening night. And it was amazing and it was amazing to be able to say I'd done something like that. It's kind of the adventure of the thing. And surrounding yourself with people who are excited about the same things you are.
Advertisements  
Old 04-17-2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I volunteered at a hospital, filling out forms. I guess if I had gotten the wrong procedure filled in, I might have gotten people hurt!
I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. I think you are siding with me but I can't tell.

For people who don't work in a hospital you have no idea HOW MUCH CAN GO WRONG in a hospital. (This is why the show E/R dragged out for as long as it did.)

You may just be filling out forms and tick the "Coumadin" box (when it was intended to be Clonadine) not realizing the patient is already on Lovenox and aspirin therapy. And yeah, they can bleed to death. This is real shit.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushiel View Post
Because I'm not a douchebag that likes to derail threads over stupid superficial bullshit, I'm going to post a relevant reply:

I wouldn't have accepted the $650 ticket. I would have demanded a refund of my full price, and then tried to get them to give me another seat for free because of their fuck up. I mean, if an airline overbooks, they offer you something like a free hotel room to sweeten the deal, instead of actually fucking you over more. I mean, it's $300 less, but the seat is 20x shittier.
This is my beef - the fact that they waited a week and a half to inform me the ticket was invalid so everything remotely comparable was gone and then even AFTER I tried to work something out with them it sucked so bad. There is just something so, so seedy about this.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voguevixen View Post
I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. I think you are siding with me but I can't tell.

For people who don't work in a hospital you have no idea HOW MUCH CAN GO WRONG in a hospital. (This is why the show E/R dragged out for as long as it did.)

You may just be filling out forms and tick the "Coumadin" box (when it was intended to be Clonadine) not realizing the patient is already on Lovenox and aspirin therapy. And yeah, they can bleed to death. This is real shit.
Using this logic, I save lives in my car on my daily commute to work.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I wouldn't exactly consider Green Day a boy band. Pop, as in they hit the top forty, but they're not really teeny-bopper or anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreedySmurf View Post
The only reason I knew who One Direction was, is that they are currently touring Australia, and made an appearance (and performed a mini-concert) on the morning show I watch. Attended by hordes of pre-pubsecent girls, screaming and crying
This reminds me of when I saw My Chemical Romance. Even less of a "boy band" than Green Day, but the beginning of each even semi-popular song was accompanied by 30 seconds of top of the lungs screaming by (mostly) girls in the audience so that I literally couldn't even hear the music. And this was in 2011, well past the epitome of their popularity, I shudder to think how Beatlesque the screaming would be if I had seen them in 2006-2008.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Yeah, that comment made no sense to me whatsoever. Of course every person can cause people to get hurt at a hospital. Even if it's just filling out forms. I think she was being sarcastic, but it's hard to tell.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
I can't think of a single act that I would pay $950 to see. Not criticizing or anything, just marvelling - different strokes for different folks.
I'd totally pay $950 to see Hitler on a T-Rex jousting Obama who is also on a T-Rex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
If John Lennon and George Harrison returned from the dead and The Beatles got back together I wouldn't pay $950.00 to see them.
I'd also pay $950 to someone who sent them right back to the grave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHansen View Post
Have a seat over here, voguevixen.
And what poster do you belong to little sock?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Rotter View Post
Stub-Hubburath was one of the Elder Gods, the moody one with the earring and bandana.
And a thousand tickets
Old 04-17-2012, 03:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
And a thousand tickets
Stub-Hubburath, Devourer of a Thousand Screams
Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
And what poster do you belong to little sock?
Heh. Not me - I have too much slashfic to read to juggle two accounts. (God - slashiest fandom EVER.)

(I think that's StubHub telling me to have a seat over here...in row HH.)
Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is my beef - the fact that they waited a week and a half to inform me the ticket was invalid so everything remotely comparable was gone and then even AFTER I tried to work something out with them it sucked so bad. There is just something so, so seedy about this.
StubHub doesn't buy or sell tickets--all they do is facilitate transactions between people. Since you say you printed the ticket, it sounds as though you bought a Ticketfast ticket, from a stranger, over the internet. The guy probably posted the same ticket on Craigslist and eBay. You should be grateful StubHub figured out the problem in advance, rather than showing up for the show and having your "ticket" rejected.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
(God - slashiest fandom EVER.)
Ok, now I HAVE to respond to this.

One Direction fans could write slash fic all day, every day and they wouldn't even come close to the amount that's written by teenage soccer fans. Trust me.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSO View Post
StubHub doesn't buy or sell tickets--all they do is facilitate transactions between people. Since you say you printed the ticket, it sounds as though you bought a Ticketfast ticket, from a stranger, over the internet. The guy probably posted the same ticket on Craigslist and eBay. You should be grateful StubHub figured out the problem in advance, rather than showing up for the show and having your "ticket" rejected.
You're right of course; I am butthurt all the same. They should have some magical way of preventing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper*5 View Post
Ok, now I HAVE to respond to this.

One Direction fans could write slash fic all day, every day and they wouldn't even come close to the amount that's written by teenage soccer fans. Trust me.
HAHAHAHA! The fact that it's written by teenagers is what gets me. I have seen things that would make a sailor blush. "He did what to his WHAT?! That's a thing?!!?!"
Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM

Yeah, it sucks that you didn't get your tickets. I'd ask for a refund and be done with it.

Another suggestion is to check another nearby city where they're touring. Maybe you can score tickets there.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:59 AM

Oh SERIOUSLY Tiger Beat? 1D and Bieber on the same sides of a poster? COME ON!!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post
Typo burn!!

As for pretending to be thirteen, half this message board is devoted to video games where people pretend to be vikings, groups of people that gather togeather to act out pretending to fight orcs and goblins, books about boy wizards, whether movies about giant transforming robots are adequately faithful to the original Spiderman cross-over comics and spaceships. Lots of spaceships.
You left out ponies.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
You should sleep more. Or less. Whichever keeps you from looking at Tiger Beat posters at 2am.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:

I am now totally convinced that this is theater. You may like teenybopper music and Tiger Beat and everything, but this at 2 in the morning? You're having fun with the people who are "concerned" aren't you?

And, to speak directly to the post, the same side of the poster would seem ideal. Then all the cuteness is pointed at you at once. Right?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I always hated when both sides of a one sheet were awesome. That would get my mother much begging for two copies of the same magazine, something that she just couldn't understand. Of course, trying to make people buy two copies was the point, but try explaining that to a distraught 12 year old.

But, really, Jordan on one side & Donnie on the other?! Really, Bop Magazine?! REALLY?! RAEG!!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24 View Post
And it works. Every time it works to draw in the 13-17 year olds until the 13 year olds turn 17 and they need a new batch of 13 year olds and a new band. Every time. They cycle continues. It works because the stupid 13 year olds don't know any better and have never heard of the boy bands that came before THIS boy band that's the most amazing boy band ever.
You're entirely right except for calling the kids who like this stuff "stupid."

A 13-year-old girl who likes a boy band is no more "stupid" than someone who goes to In 'N Out and eats a cheeseburger. The cheeseburger is a mass marketed product and there's nothing at all special about it, and they've made them before and will make many more for people after you leave the In 'N Out, but it works for what you want right then and there.

Boy bands work fine for what a teenaged girl needs, which is a well-packaged, safe little crush, designed for her emotional needs, that comes with some peppy music. There's nothing "stupid" about them, they're just consuming an innocuous entertainment product.

As to what it means for a 41-year-old woman, I've no idea as I don't know the OP. Everyone's got their hobbies. I don't see offhand how it's much different from a 41-year-old man who plays video games.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I don't see offhand how it's much different from a 41-year-old man who plays video games.
As has been said upthread:

1) level of obsession
2) the fact that the object of her crush is younger than her to the point of being creepy.

Yes, I feel the same way about guys who are 40+ who consume sexualized media intended for teen guys (Britney Spears when she first came out, etc.).
Old 04-19-2012, 04:11 AM

Ok: tapout - super good friend and co-worker (barely older than me) just had a stoke and is paralyzed on his right side and I'm not up for good-natured ribbing right now.

I promise I will make an inane post prior to upcoming concerts where you can pummel me, rest assured. I'm literally devastated by this though.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I promise I will make an inane post prior to upcoming concerts where you can pummel me, rest assured. I'm literally devastated by this though.
Well, this is the thing---nobody wants to do that as much as you seem to.

Please, post about your friend and about being sad, and I promise many people will offer support in a way that is much more meaningful than these threads. As much as there is plenty to criticize about this place, people rally around posters they know and will offer suggestions and help and kind thoughts.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:09 AM

To the OP: I also bear a deep dislike of stubhub and other services like it. However I don't like it because they promote and support the behaviour that rewards scalpers buying tickets they never intend to use and reselling them for a profit. I would support a system where tickets are assigned to an owner and changing that owner is a long and agonizing process which requires sworn statements witnessed by a notary and is still limited to a maximum number of lifetime changes.

I don't have much sympathy for people who use services that are designed by their very nature to be exploitive and who then complain when they are the ones who get ripped off.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
As to what it means for a 41-year-old woman, I've no idea as I don't know the OP. Everyone's got their hobbies. I don't see offhand how it's much different from a 41-year-old man who plays video games.
Tangent: while I completely agree with your post, the video game got me thinking. What if it was a 41 year old playing a board game? A card game? Chess? Is there something about the fact that a game is on a computer that makes it different from other games?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaftPeople View Post
Tangent: while I completely agree with your post, the video game got me thinking. What if it was a 41 year old playing a board game? A card game? Chess? Is there something about the fact that a game is on a computer that makes it different from other games?
I think so. It annoys my husband when I'm on the computer for hours at a time. I asked him if it would annoy him if I was reading. He said no.

And, of course, he watches football on some days for 7 hours at a stretch, and somehow that's perfectly okay.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Creature of the Night

Um....I'm 54, and I STILL play video games for hours each day.

Of course, I don't watch TV on most days, which is why I have those hours free. But still...I do play video games.