The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 PM

Joss Whedon's "Cabin in the Woods" **Mild Open Spoilers**

Just got back from Cabin in the Woods--which I just discovered was actually finished in 2009, but released only now due to the MGM bankruptcy--and what an interesting film.

I knew almost nothing about it going in, which turns out to not have mattered terribly much as what would have been the "twist" in a more conventional film was revealed right from the start. This then allows the movie to turn horror movie cliches on themselves, then those back on themselves again, resulting in something that's quite unlike any other horror movie I've seen.

The movie has a pretty good sense of humor, even though it really is still a horror film at its core, even with full knowledge of the film's conceit, which is impressive. It's not terribly scary, but there are a few startles throughout, if the audience's reaction was anything to go by.

I think my favorite part was when...
SPOILER:
...the two survivors took the elevator and saw the other "horrors" along the way. I actually wish we had gotten to see more of them! I also quite liked the Japanese sub-plot.

Although I enjoyed the movie throughout, I was letdown by...
SPOILER:
...the ending. I'm not sure what kind of ultimate explanation I would have liked, but I wasn't sold on the "appeasing the old gods" bit to prevent world destruction. Like I said, I don't know what I would have done, but it felt unsatisfactory.

Anyone else see it yet? What did you think?

ETA: There is one more thing I wish the movie had more of...
SPOILER:
boobies. Don't judge me.

Last edited by Red Barchetta; 04-13-2012 at 10:33 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 04-14-2012, 12:33 AM

The reviews are very favorable, and I love Joss Whedon, and I managed to avoid all spoilers other than the trailer. So I was expecting this film to kick ass.

But it didn't. The concept was very cool. And it had a lot of fun or clever bits. But it put to much effort in being commentary about other films and not enough being its own films.

Its horror scenes weren't scary, its comedic bits were clever but not hilarious, and its sexy bits weren't quite titillating enough.

There wasn't enough tension, either dramatic or comedic or otherwise, to create a real impact.

But it was fun and clever. Amusing and passably entertaining. It just tried too hard at being meta that it forgot to add substance to what it was commenting on. And it tried being a mashup of too many things without giving depth to any of the elements it was mixing together.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:31 AM

I can tell I loved it because I keep finding myself thinking about it, especially the last thirty minutes or so which were just completely nuts but somehow still kinda scary and funny. It's a line that I haven't seen walked so well before,and it has been tried. Evil Dead 2 is really this movie's only real competitor on that level I think.

That said, it's not quite the genre defining film it was being touted as. I didn't think it really challenged or illuminated traditional horror conventions so much as just give as a more sober way to enjoy the same old thrills. It's totally Joss though and I love that. it feels like he's been waiting a long time to tackle full on horror and it shows.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 AM

I enjoyed the ever-loving heck out of the movie. It is totally Joss and it is done in a way only he could do it. I could tell he had fun making the movie. It really was a good time. Now I can't wait for The Avengers.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:08 AM

About a 6 out of 10 for me. Worthwhile, but not great. I find myself agreeing with jackdavinci's comments. There were a few good comedic moments, as you would expect from Joss Whedon, but overall the film was a bit of a let-down.

SPOILER:
I did enjoy the elevator scene, and the meltdown when everything was unleashed. You just knew the merman was going to make an appearance.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:30 AM

So, is it fair to say there CAN'T be a sequel, no matter how big a hit this is?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
So, is it fair to say there CAN'T be a sequel, no matter how big a hit this is?
Joss has brought franchises back from the dead before...
Old 04-14-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
Joss has brought franchises back from the dead before...
Yea but it would have to be an entirely different kind of movie, there really wouldn't be a point.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:26 PM

I went to the Thursday midnight screening not as an obsessed Whedon fan, I went simply as a man who appreciates an ultra-concentrated gathering of hot geek girls.

SPOILER:
There were LOTS of really hot geek girls.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM

I really liked it. It felt like a lost episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I loved the meta commentary on horror films and the climax was just bonkers!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:48 PM

Wow, they really should've marketed this movie differently/better. I had no idea Joss was involved in it until seeing this topic, and the commercials make it look like a crapfest in the vein of the first Resident Evil adaptation. I still probably won't go see it, but I might be more interested in catching it on video now that I know it's a Joss Whedon joint.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:59 PM
WretchAwry
Charter Member

I saw this at a matinee last night after work and had a blast! I went in knowing nothing at all. I hadn't seen read a review or even a synopsis, I hadn't seen a trailer or a clip or even a still from the movie. I'd heard something vague that Joss Whedon was involved but I've never seen an episode of Buffy so I didn't go because of him. I loved Chris Hemsworth in Thor but I didn't know he was in this until the opening credits. I went because I'd read something on Twitter to the effect of "Go, and the less you know going in the better" so I actively kept away from everything.

I haven't seen a lot of outright horror movies (no Friday the 13ths, no Nightmare on Elm Streets, no Saws or Hostels or whatever series that guy with the saw blades in his head is from) so I only recognized a few of the horrors (loved Ringu in Japan and the outcome). Still, it was delightfully scary and fun. And how great is Richard Jenkins and that other guy? The betting part was a riot at the time, but even funnier when I found out what they were betting on.

It immediately goes on my well-loved genre shelf alongside Kick-Ass, Super, Attack The Block, Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, Scott Pilgrim and so many others.

"Am I on speakerphone?"
Old 04-14-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
or whatever series that guy with the saw blades in his head is from)
Hellraiser.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM

I thought it was exceptional, though I say that as a Whedon fanboy and someone who is apathetic at best towards horror. That said, I saw it with two friends that love horror and hate Joss, and they both enjoyed it as well.

The only thing I didn't really like were the computer's and the Director's expository speeches. They felt forced, and I bet that was at least partially the intent, but they still took me out of the movie momentarily.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
The only thing I didn't really like were the computer's and the Director's expository speeches. They felt forced, and I bet that was at least partially the intent, but they still took me out of the movie momentarily.
Wait, which part was this? I'm trying to remember the computer talking...
Old 04-14-2012, 06:49 PM

It may have been the Director over the PA system, but it was when the two survivors
SPOILER:
first make it to the control center. They were told they were being sacrificed for the greater good, and that they should suck it up and let them do their jobs. The actual monologue at the end was basically a continuation, though it also filled in the details.

Last edited by twickster; 04-14-2012 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: added spoiler box
Old 04-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Mod note

I haven't seen the movie (and don't plan to), so I don't know what's a "mild" spoiler and what's a major spoiler, but someone reported Ephemera's post as involving the latter.

If in doubt, please use spoiler boxes.

Thanks,

twickster, Cafe Society moderator
Old 04-14-2012, 07:59 PM

Just saw it.

I'm not a horror/slasher flick person.

I loved it. Simply loved it!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:08 PM

Did we ever see . . .
SPOILER:
the execution techniques used by either
the Pinhead-esque Saw Faced Guy with the Golden Orb
or
the little ballerina girl with the concentric mouths of shark teeth?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:18 AM

Upon further reflection, the film The Cabin in the Woods is bloody brilliant. It's even more meta than I originally thought.

I mean, the film itself is crap, at least on the surface. But that has got to be intentional.

It's basically Fridge Moment: The Movie.

It turns the camera one hundred eighty degrees back around at the audience and says "tell me what you really want to see, and tell me why you want to see it."

It makes you question the allure of the haunted house. Why do we ask for fantasy violence while at the same time wanting to protect ourselves from real life violence?

I suppose the answer for me is, to experience and conquer fear itself, without having to encounter physically the things which are the object of my fears.

My answer to Joss Whedon is, "I cry uncle".
Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

I think this movie is best watched with well-managed expectations. I saw the high Tomatometer rating, learned that Whedon was involved, and saw one sentence of a review saying the less you know, the better. Based on that, I went in blind, expecting an 11. In reality, I think this is more in the range of "you can wait and rent this, and it's enjoyable," than "OMG, go see this kickass movie as soon as possible!"

I think the biggest issue is that it's all clever glib references and winks, with no real substance. Compare it to two of may favorite movies ever, which are also parody/homages with lots of references: Young Frankenstein and Shaun of the Dead. I think those two are head and shoulders above this film because they remembered to construct an actual, honest-to-goodness movie that stands on its own, with engaging characters and a solid story, and also had clever glib references and winks.

I felt like you couldn't really get in touch with the cabin crew because
SPOILER:
almost from the beginning, you know that they're not acting like themselves
, and I found myself kind of hoping for a lot more story involving Richard Jenkins and company.

I also felt like once you figure out even the rough outlines of what's going on (which happens in what, the first 20-30 minutes?), you realize that you can't root for anyone in the movie!

Still, I'd recommend this. It's a really good movie. It's a lot of fun, if without much substance. If you go in with that expectation, I think you'll have an awesome time with it. I'm definitely watching it several more times just to look more closely at all the goings on downstairs. There was some golden stuff in those scenes!

Last edited by Unauthorized Cinnamon; 04-15-2012 at 09:00 AM..
Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Oh, by the way, did anyone else think perhaps Marty
SPOILER:
would turn out to be an actual, factual virgin, and the girl would wind up fulfilling the role of The Fool when the werewolf ate her, so that ultimately they would appease the gods anyway?
It would have fit in well with "We work with what we have."

I also want to say that I loved loved loved the Japan story, and Bradley Whitford's reaction to the resolution of it!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
Upon further reflection, the film The Cabin in the Woods is bloody brilliant. It's even more meta than I originally thought.

I mean, the film itself is crap, at least on the surface. But that has got to be intentional.

It's basically Fridge Moment: The Movie.

It turns the camera one hundred eighty degrees back around at the audience and says "tell me what you really want to see, and tell me why you want to see it."

It makes you question the allure of the haunted house. Why do we ask for fantasy violence while at the same time wanting to protect ourselves from real life violence?

I suppose the answer for me is, to experience and conquer fear itself, without having to encounter physically the things which are the object of my fears.

My answer to Joss Whedon is, "I cry uncle".
The moment where you have the technicians "watching a horror movie" that's occurring in real life on a giant TV screen and praying for boobs, then getting chastised for wanting this is the moment when everything started to click into place for me.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:28 PM

I liked it, but it was a little bit too self aware to click completely for me. Also would have helped if it had been even remotely scary at any point.

It probably would have been best if the movies one secret hadn't been revealed in the trailer. By this I mean:

SPOILER:
That Dollhouse guy wasn't actually dead.

Am glad it did have the balls to carry the conceit all the way through.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:22 PM

I also thought they would play semantics tricks with the two remaining characters.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:07 PM

I enjoyed it, but I was confused by something.

SPOILER:
They made it sound like sabotage was the reason that the cave-in didn't happen when it was supposed to. And the stoner was supposed to be more out of it because his pot was dosed, but Amy Acker's character said something about how she discovered the pot was actually immunizing him to the "puppetmasters" influence.

So I was expecting there was someone who wanted them to escape or whatever and we'd hear about that, but nothing like that was brought up. Did I miss something? Or are we supposed to assume someone wanted to bring about the end of the world, but it doesn't matter who it was?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
...ETA: There is one more thing I wish the movie had more of...
SPOILER:
boobies. Don't judge me.
Or at least one male ass
SPOILER:
Very disappointed that "Virgin" (which aparently just means the less slutty girld) put the creepy painting back up just as Scholar was takining in underwear off, especially since he knew damn well she could see him through the mirror.

TV Tropes summed this movie up nicely; SCP: The Movie. The DVD/Blu-Ray damn well better have come good commentary tracks (otherwise what would be the point of renting it).

I was a little surprised that "The Director" was...
SPOILER:
...actually just the site director. At first I just assumed it was Satan.

I'm also consused by...
SPOILER:
...why the cave-in didn't happen. Was it just Fool randomly messing with wires that caused the short, or was someone else sabotaging it?

SPOILER:
I agree the ending really sucked. Fool & Virgin just sit back and condem 7 billion people to die so something else can take it's place? Is th

Last edited by Marley23; 04-16-2012 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: added spoiler tag
Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Door-2-Door Wikipedia Salesman
Charter Member

Just got back from seeing it. I'm in the camp of, "it's a good, fun ride, but ultimately hollow." I wouldn't compare it to Evil Dead 2, so much as something like Drag Me to Hell.

I did enjoy the back and forth between the cabin and the other side. Some very Whedon humor there. I loved the big climax, you know what I'm talking about. But there was an almost cartoonish quality to it, that since this wasn't a movie that took itself seriously, neither could I.

As for the ending, perhaps cliche, but I would've liked a more eff'd up note like:

SPOILER:
The stoner scoots up next to the not-so-virgin, lighting up the joint. They have their banter about her almost shooting him, then they exchange apologies and he shoots her in the head. Then, as the Ancients become still and contented once again, he admits he's never been laid. *Toke*
END.

Last edited by cmyk; 04-15-2012 at 09:42 PM..
Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
<snip>

As for the ending, perhaps cliche, but I would've liked a more eff'd up note like:

SPOILER:
The stoner scoots up next to the not-so-virgin, lighting up the joint. They have their banter about her almost shooting him, then they exchange apologies and he shoots her in the head. Then, as the Ancients become still and contented once again, he admits he's never been laid. *Toke*
END.
I've seen other people suggest that too, but for me personally, that ending would have bothered me a bit.

SPOILER:

First, the virgin archetype pretty much always means a girl/woman, both in horror movies and in western myths in general. The scholar or fool could maybe be either gender, but the virgin archetype would pretty much have to be filled by a woman.

Second, he's be talking the whole movie about the puppetmasters and conspiracies and such. I would find it unlike his character to play into what the company wants by killing another one of his friends. Even though no one from the company would be around to see it, and it wouldn't be what they'd expect, it would still result in what they were wanting in killing the group for sacrifices to appease the old gods.

The ending I had expected was a little different:

SPOILER:

Since the girl had the gun, I had expected her to say something about not playing their games and shooting herself in the head.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

As it stands now, the ending...

SPOILER:
makes no sense. They go through all that trouble defeating the powers that be, to choose to just end it all, and be tormented forever by these evil gods? Makes all the prior heroics meaningless.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:

SPOILER:
makes no sense. They go through all that trouble defeating the powers that be, to choose to just end it all, and be tormented forever by these evil gods? Makes all the prior heroics meaningless.
I can't really argue with you. I didn't love the ending, but I don't know how I would have changed it to something better. And I enjoyed the rest of the movie enough that the ending being a little questionable doesn't bother me too much.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:

SPOILER:
SPOILER:
The Fool already had a misanthropic streak, so it was perfectly fitting for his character to let the world burn, and the Virgin had just watched two of her friends die, and had been tossed the head of the third as a present. After hours of torment and an admission that they're just cattle, she probably had little loyalty to humanity in those last moments. Were I in the same situation, I'd probably do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
I enjoyed it, but I was confused by something.

SPOILER:
They made it sound like sabotage was the reason that the cave-in didn't happen when it was supposed to. And the stoner was supposed to be more out of it because his pot was dosed, but Amy Acker's character said something about how she discovered the pot was actually immunizing him to the "puppetmasters" influence.

So I was expecting there was someone who wanted them to escape or whatever and we'd hear about that, but nothing like that was brought up. Did I miss something? Or are we supposed to assume someone wanted to bring about the end of the world, but it doesn't matter who it was?
SPOILER:
I didn't really get the impression the pot was sabotage. I thought it was just an oversight, but I did wonder about the cave-in as well, and definitely got the impression that there was some sort of subterfuge afoot. At first, I thought it might have been the guard in the control room, but I think it just supposed to be the Fool causing some sort of short in the system? I'd have to watch it again to be sure.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Perhaps the new black guy, who seemed to really disapprove of the whole thing. Maybe that ended up on the cutting room floor. They just dropped his storyline.

Last edited by cmyk; 04-16-2012 at 12:15 AM..
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 AM

On the sabotage:

SPOILER:
They said there had been a power reroute from upstairs.

Since downstairs seemed to be hell, I took upstairs to be heaven and was thinking that God was manufacturing the return of the evil gods for some kind of confrontation.

But then that line never seemed to get explained or further pursued so I have no idea.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

I think I have answers about upstairs/downstairs, the pot, and the tunnel:
SPOILER:
"Upstairs" is the cabin. The lab is below it, hence the elevator/graves that deliver the monsters. IIRC, people in the lab also refer to "Downstairs," which would be the tablet room and the god-pit below. (Earlier in the thread I referred to the lab as downstairs, but I suppose we should call it the Mezzanine or something.)

Marty's pot - I didn't catch exactly what Amy Acker said, but it was clear to me that the Chem Lab screwed up. It fits with the gist of Acker's dialog, and it fits with Hadley's quip early on that the Chemistry guys screwed up the ritual last time. They were supposed to treat his weed to make Marty dumb and suggestible, but (I think) he bought new stuff or used a different stash, so he was resistant to the mindfuck.

So Marty found the camera in the cabin, and when the zombie redneck family member (totally different thing from plain "zombies") grabbed him, he fell into the grave and eventually found the control panel. He just started screwing around with it randomly, and caused a short or something that prevented the tunnel cave-in.

The comment that the problem originated "upstairs" alerts them that Marty not only survived but is messing with their systems.

As I mull it over, I think I'll have more fun re-watching this, knowing that it's not really going toward a satisfying ending, but just enjoying all the fun stuff along the way. Once they set up the parameters of what's happening, I don't think there could be a really satisfying ending. It's too bad, because I would have loved to see more with the lab folks, especially the morally upright security guy. It was a shame that never went anywhere.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM

I loved the movie, but I have to agree with those who said that the choice made by the Virgin and the Fool at the end didn't really make much sense. Thematically, yes; any ending other than that would've been anticlimactic. Realistically, though, they're going to die anyway- why take the world with them?

I mean, sure, they were probably pretty damn pissed off at the whole situation, and disgusted with humans in general. But didn't they have families, loved ones? I can see the Fool not really caring... but the Virgin? No way.

Hell, if I'd been the Fool, I would've shot myself- how often does anyone get the chance to sacrifice themselves for the entire world?

But as I said, I loved the movie. I even loved the ending.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
Hell, if I'd been the Fool, I would've shot myself- how often does anyone get the chance to sacrifice themselves for the entire world?
I thought that's where they were going at one point, with the whole Gods angle.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unauthorized Cinnamon View Post
I think I have answers about upstairs/downstairs, the pot, and the tunnel:
SPOILER:
"Upstairs" is the cabin. The lab is below it, hence the elevator/graves that deliver the monsters. IIRC, people in the lab also refer to "Downstairs," which would be the tablet room and the god-pit below. (Earlier in the thread I referred to the lab as downstairs, but I suppose we should call it the Mezzanine or something.)

Marty's pot - I didn't catch exactly what Amy Acker said, but it was clear to me that the Chem Lab screwed up. It fits with the gist of Acker's dialog, and it fits with Hadley's quip early on that the Chemistry guys screwed up the ritual last time. They were supposed to treat his weed to make Marty dumb and suggestible, but (I think) he bought new stuff or used a different stash, so he was resistant to the mindfuck.

So Marty found the camera in the cabin, and when the zombie redneck family member (totally different thing from plain "zombies") grabbed him, he fell into the grave and eventually found the control panel. He just started screwing around with it randomly, and caused a short or something that prevented the tunnel cave-in.

The comment that the problem originated "upstairs" alerts them that Marty not only survived but is messing with their systems.

Those are possible answers, but I'm still not sure. Maybe it's not supposed to be clear.

SPOILER:

It's true that the Chem lab had screwed up before. And that Marty was messing around with wires and that could have messed something up. Though I'm not sure how that would work out with the timing.

But don't forget that all the other countries failed. Including Japan which previously had a 100% fatality rate but this time had no deaths. It could be coincidence that all the countries screwed up on the same year, including Japan and the US which had previously done so well. Maybe you could connect that to the free will discussion they had in the movie. Or it could be someone Upstairs was giving all the events a slight nudge in the direction of failure. I had the impression that there were all the satellite offices where the arenas and sacrifices were, and Upstairs would be the head office like in New York or London or somewhere. But I wouldn't be able to say that's definitely right, and Upstairs could also plausibly just mean where the cabin was located.

On another note, there was something else I was wondering about, though it doesn't affect the plot.

SPOILER:

In previous years after whatever monster was released and killed the sacrifices, how did they get the monsters back in their cubes? It made me laugh thinking about the redneck zombies or the sugar plum fairy or any of the other ones trapped in a net and looking very irritated about going back into their box.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:00 PM

Regarding the spoiler discussion:
SPOILER:
The fool short-circuited the tunnel. He even mentioned it in the dialogue when he was showing the virgin the controls, though he didn't say the tunnel specifically because he couldn't know what it was he shorted out.

The cabin being upstairs makes perfect sense, though I wasn't smart enough to piece that together.

All the failures at once isn't all that coincidental, since the early conversations led us to believe that everyone in the world is essentially incompetent except Japan and the US, and the US botched their effort in 98. That Japan failed is a surprise but not inconceivable.

EDIT: Also, in the scene with Amy Acker explaining the chem screwup, she said they missed one of the fool's stashes and that's the one he'd been smoking the whole time so he wasn't getting any of the mind control.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 04-16-2012 at 03:02 PM..
Old 04-16-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
Those are possible answers, but I'm still not sure. Maybe it's not supposed to be clear.

On another note, there was something else I was wondering about, though it doesn't affect the plot.

SPOILER:

In previous years after whatever monster was released and killed the sacrifices, how did they get the monsters back in their cubes? It made me laugh thinking about the redneck zombies or the sugar plum fairy or any of the other ones trapped in a net and looking very irritated about going back into their box.
Presumably that's what the legions of security personnel and military liason is for. Given enough firepower it's probally not that hard too wrangle one monster or three (granted that dept probally has the highest fatality rate.).

SPOILER:
Since the ritual has to be completes by sunrise maybe sunlight weakens or destroyes them and they eventual make their way back underground on their own. Also since it doesn't appear the controllers have any control over the montsers once they're released there must also be situations then they have to intervene to ensure nobody dies before the Whore and that the Virgin outlives everyone else. I don't think it really matters what order the other 3 die in.

Oh, and regarding what happened after shit hit the fan...

SPOILER:
...what possible purpose would a big red switch that releases everything in the stables at once serve? Other than Rule of Funny I can't think of any reason the staff would ever need to do that. A big red switched that detonated a nuke would make more sense. And was the senior controller trying to do as a last resort? Gas everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Regarding the spoiler discussion:
SPOILER:
...All the failures at once isn't all that coincidental, since the early conversations led us to believe that everyone in the world is essentially incompetent except Japan and the US, and the US botched their effort in 98. That Japan failed is a surprise but not inconceivable...
I think that most of the opertions have alot smaller budgets and fewer resources than Japan and the US. Just imagine how stretched for cash and bogged down by mismangment Athens is. Or how much money Mumbai insistes on spending on music & dance numbers.

I'd kinda like to see a comic (or at least some fan fiction) dealing with some of the past sacrifices. Just how did things work out that last time the Killer Unicorn or Merman were summoned? And what the hell is Kevin?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 PM

After the shit hit the fan...
SPOILER:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
And was the senior controller trying to do as a last resort? Gas everything?
Senior controller? If you mean Richard Jenkins, he was trying (and succeeded) to open an escape hatch. Though I might just be forgetting what you're referring to.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Just imagine how stretched for cash and bogged down by mismangment Athens is. Or how much money Mumbai insistes on spending on music & dance numbers.
On the other hand, just think how much more experience Athens and Mumbai have at completing these sacrifices.

As for the failures, just because Japan has a perfect record doesn't mean that everybody else fails most years. Maybe most years 8 out of 12 locations completed their sacrifices and the Japanese just never missed.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:53 PM

Not a perfect movie, but I loved it. I'll certainly watch it again.

A few of the touches I appreciated were:
SPOILER:
The big betting board, and specifically how some departments were rooting for themselves in the betting. I saw that "Alien Beast" was bet on by the Bio-Med department, and "Angry Molesting Tree" was bet on by the Wranglers.

The appearance of the Unicorn and the Merman in the free-for-all.

"Good zombie arm."

The scene with the trap door and the basement. Just, all of it. "The wind must have blown it open" "Does that make any sense to anyone?" "There's some more, but it's in latin." "Ok, I am drawing a line in the sand, here. Do not read the latin." And the scene of all of them just about to interact with the necklace, puzzle box and conch before the Virgin starts reading from the diary.

I was disappointed that
SPOILER:
the elder gods were not octopus-like in form
Old 04-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

By the way, did anyone manage to catch what Tom Lenk's (the Intern's) sign said on the monitor?

The mention of Angry Molesting Tree reminds me - there were at least three specific references to Evil Dead movies (AMT and Deadites on the whiteboard, and the cabin itself), as well as a lot of thematic similarities. Did any other specific movie get that many?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

If you are so inclined, IO9 has a great interview with Drew Goddard that talks about all the little Easter eggs and asides you might have missed.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

I LOVED it, but then I know two of the people who worked on it.

After I saw it on opening night at the Hollywood Arclight, and we went upstairs to the bar, they introduced me to Joss Whedon who came to watch the flick with the audience.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 PM

Just seen it and got a question:

SPOILER:
Why would the gods be appeased by the Fool being shot by the people organising the ritual? It seems to make no sense, with what the rest of the necessary preparations imply. If it was that easy, you would expect the men with guns to show up right away to avoid the sequence being broken.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:05 PM

SPOILER:
It wasn't just necessary that they die, they also had to suffer. The suffering had already happened in spades leaving death as the only requirement.

Last edited by DigitalC; 04-19-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 PM

Loved it. I thought it was far and away better than other movies in this genre. I don't quite understand the complaints that there wasn't enough substance? I was clearly rooting for our heroes, and the way they handled the options they were given was interesting and added a layer of depth. I also appreciated the commentary about how youth is treated in our culture and how that is shown in pop culture itself.

And I laughed my ass off at
SPOILER:
The Angry Molesting Tree. It shows up on the whiteboard (it was the only one I caught) and then in the elevator
Old 04-19-2012, 08:18 PM

What i didn't understand is
SPOILER:
how the japanese schoolgirls fit into the whole slut athlete scholar fool virgin mold. Those were hopefully all virgins so unless they went by different rules it makes no sense.