The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

View Poll Results: Which flavor(s) of Neapolitan do you eat?
Chocolate only 6 3.59%
Vanilla only 8 4.79%
Strawberry only 2 1.20%
Chocolate and vanilla 31 18.56%
Chocolate and strawberry 11 6.59%
Vanilla and strawberry 16 9.58%
All of them 93 55.69%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM

Neapolitan ice cream: what do you eat?

We were discussing ice cream at work today, and I brought up Neapolitan ice cream (the stuff that's blocks of chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla stuck together). I noticed that most people scarf up the chocolate and strawberry, leaving a big block of uneaten vanilla in the middle. Some coworkers said they only ate the chocolate and vanilla, leaving the strawberry on the side. So when you buy Neapolitan ice cream, which flavors do you eat and which do you leave alone?
Advertisements  
Old 04-26-2012, 09:37 PM

My parents used to buy it when I was little, and we kids would carefully eat the chocolate. And vanilla, leaving a ribbon of strawberry in the carton.

Now that I'm old, I like all three flavors. I haven't had any in years, but this thread is making me crave it, so it's off to Wally World tomorrow.

I never buy Neopolitan, but if I were at a party or something, as you describe above, I'd take a reasonable share of each, let them melt slightly, and then swirl them all together.

Wow! Winning again. Everybody does it like me!

ETA: Hey! Wait your turn. And eat your ice cream the right way.

Last edited by TriPolar; 04-26-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 PM

First strawberry, then chocolate, then vanilla.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 PM

Why would you buy ice cream you don't want to eat?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

What is this ice cream you "leave alone"? Never met ice cream I didn't like!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 PM

Hm... That sounds like a challenge!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Horrified Onlooker

All of them. Chocolate first, always.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strinka View Post
Why would you buy ice cream you don't want to eat?
I've never bought Neopolitan ice cream. It always comes as the desert at low end banquets.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:44 PM

All of them at the same time. Scoop right across the carton, then, when it in the bowl, stir it until it's a uniform grey-brown color and eat it. I have done it this way since I was a child.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:11 AM

All of them. But not at the same time. I'll mix the chocolate and vanilla or the strawberry and vanilla but not the chocolate and the strawberry.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:53 AM

Chocolate. Then vanilla. Then, and only if I'm starving or trying not to offend someone or it's the only ice cream in the freezer and my car's broken, the strawberry. Not that I dislike strawberry ice cream, but something about the sickly sweetness of the strawberry ice cream that ends up in Neopolitan ice cream is just unpalatable.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:45 AM

The Neopolitan icecream we used to get as kids was pretty low quality, and we would typically only eat the chocolate because that was the only flavour that actually had flavour!

However, as an adult, I have been known to buy three seperate tubs of good quality icecream and make my own Neopolitan. Every colour gets eaten in equal measure!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:10 AM

Not a big fan of strawberry. But I won't leave it by itself. Which is why I don't buy Neapolitan. If its there I'll take some of each.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 AM

I don't like vanilla or strawberry ice cream. It reminds me of the classic Simpsons moment where Homer opens a carton of Neapolitan ice cream. "Choc-o-late...D'oh!" as he notices the chocolate part is all gone, even though the other two flavors are untouched. The same thing is true of the other carton in the freezer. "Marge, we need more of that chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream!"
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Vanilla and strawberry, definitely! They used to have 'pink and white checkerboard' ice cream in the stores here, which was like Neapolitan without the chocolate. Looking at the answers here gives me an idea why it was discontinued. (They still have the chocolate and vanilla checkerboard in some stores.)

This makes me sound picky, but I like the strawberry ice cream in Neapolitan/Checkerboard better than ordinary strawberry ice cream because it doesn't have bits of strawberries stuck in it.
Join today!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

When my dad's family bought some neapolitan, I'd eat only the vanilla which is what I responded to. Nowadays, I'd still try to stick to mostly the vanilla, but if a tiny bit of some chocolate or strawberry went in, that would be good too, for variety's sake.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

It isn't a flavor that we buy for the rare occasions we need ice cream, but if served it elsewhere I either politely refuse to take ice cream at all [diabetic] or I will eat all 3 flavors equally to be polite [probably a bite or two of each flavor.]
Old 04-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I never liked it as a kid and was confused as to why my parents kept buying it. I ate the chocolate part, and, if pressed, the vanilla. Never the strawberry, because strawberry is the grossest of all ice creams, save pistachio.

Now that I'm adult, I can go out and buy the good stuff and eat all of it.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
So when you buy Neapolitan ice cream, which flavors do you eat and which do you leave alone?
If only someone would sell the flavors individually, so we wouldn't have to buy Neapolitan just to get our favorite! Maybe someday some innovative ice cream company will think of this.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 PM

As a kid, I ate the strawberry first, to get it out the way, (if there was still ice cream left, so far as my parents were concerned, there was no need to get more) then the vanilla, and finally the chocolate, glorious chocolate... Now I just buy chocolate.

So yes, I answered 'all of them', but reluctantly.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 PM

As a kid, my mom bought the Neapolitan ice cream. My sister ate the chocolate and I ate the vanilla. When only strawberry was left, we threw it away. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanvasShoes View Post
I never buy Neopolitan, but if I were at a party or something, as you describe above, I'd take a reasonable share of each, let them melt slightly, and then swirl them all together.
You freak!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM
BANNED

Eating only 1 type would not be too smart unless that's the only kind of ice cream you have. Don't people buy Neopolitan ice cream because they like ALL the flavours in it?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
If only someone would sell the flavors individually, so we wouldn't have to buy Neapolitan just to get our favorite! Maybe someday some innovative ice cream company will think of this.

That will NEVER happen
Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 PM

I'm not a big fan of neapolitan, I like all three flavours but the version that is usually found in neapolitan are almost but not quite edible.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:53 PM

My wife gets Neapolitan pretty regularly; I really enjoy a vanilla/strawberry blend and don't worry about the choclate 'cause I know the rest of the wolfpack will finish it off soon enough.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:00 PM

Why would anyone buy Neapolitan ice cream if they only planned to eat 1 or 2 of the flavors? That's a waste of money when you could just buy an entire thingie of chocolate (or whatever you like) ice cream.

Anyway, I like vanilla bean ice cream the best of those flavors, but I suspect the vanilla in Neapolitan is subpar. So I'd throw away the container and eat some butter pecan or oreo or peanut butter ice cream, instead.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

For those asking why anyone would buy Neapolitan ice cream if they don't like all three flavors:

1. Maybe we didn't buy it. My parents bought it when I was a kid but I've never bought it myself.
2. Maybe more than one person is eating it and the preferences balance out. When I was a kid I liked chocolate and strawberry best. My brother liked vanilla. Between us, we'd finish the carton.
3. Preferences aren't absolute. A person might like all three flavors even if chocolate is his favorite. He'll eat the chocolate first but he'll also eat and enjoy the vanilla and the strawberry.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:38 PM

The Neapolitan ice cream I grew up with came in four-liter pails, with all of the flavors swirled together. I liked it; IMO each serving should have all three flavors even when dealing with "segregated" Neapolitan.

Last edited by Max the Immortal; 04-27-2012 at 03:38 PM..
Old 04-27-2012, 05:10 PM

I'd eat 'em all. But separately. If I didn't have a knife to separate them, I'd pass. I like all three flavors, but not together.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 PM

Going to slide this over to Cafe Society.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

When I was a kid, my Grandpa served Neapolitan ice cream by opening the end of the carton and cutting off slices (that looked something like this).
Old 04-27-2012, 05:27 PM
These are ATTACK eyebrows!
Charter Member

I don't buy Neapolitan ice cream (don't eat ice cream much these days and when I do, I always buy Smores) but when confronted with it, I always eat the chocolate first, then the vanilla if it's not too melty. Strawberry ice cream is icky.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

I favor the strawberry, but I like to blend them all together.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

I like all the flavors. When I was a kid, though, strawberry was my favorite, so I would go for that first.

What I liked better than Neapolitan was Hopscotch ice cream, which was a checkerboard pattern of vanilla and raspberry sherbet, or vanilla and chocolate. To get the full effect it was best served in slices rather than scooped.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

I don't like chocolate flavoured anything. Except chocolate itself, which is yummy. So I always picked out the strawberry and vanilla.

It has been about twenty years since I had neapolitan. And that word always reminds me of Napoleon, and the three colours of the Italian flag. I guess the latter is the point, though.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:54 PM

I wouldn't eat strawberry anything as a kid, and still don't much like anything but fresh strawberries now. Neopolitan ice cream was ok if you got to pick the flavours you liked, but a total rip-off if an unsympathetic adult wouldn't give you just the vanilla and/or the chocolate and got strawberry cooties on the only edible part of the ice cream.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
I like all the flavors. When I was a kid, though, strawberry was my favorite, so I would go for that first.

What I liked better than Neapolitan was Hopscotch ice cream, which was a checkerboard pattern of vanilla and raspberry sherbet, or vanilla and chocolate. To get the full effect it was best served in slices rather than scooped.
We used to get the vanilla and orange sherbet. Yum! And my mom always served it in slices.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 PM

Although I voted for chocolate and vanilla, I would never actually buy Neapolitan, and if I were someplace where it was offered as a refreshment, I would politely decline. The chocolate and vanilla portions were hopelessly contaminated before they even made it to the retailer just by virtue of being in the same container with that vile pink substance. Don't get me wrong. I love strawberries. But that stuff bears absolutely no resemblance--not in flavor, not in appearance. I don't know why labeling it as strawberry isn't considered false advertising.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:21 PM

Buying Neapolitan ice cream always seemed like someone was trying to make everybody happy and not succeeding in making anybody happy.

I love strawberries but that artificial crappy strawberry flavor in Neapolitan tastes like bad perfume in a frozen form.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:09 PM

I'd eat the chocolate and strawberry first (assuming it's a good ice cream with real strawberries). Save the vanilla for last, and load it up with toppings. Like chocolate syrup and strawberries.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
All of them at the same time. Scoop right across the carton, then, when it in the bowl, stir it until it's a uniform grey-brown color and eat it. I have done it this way since I was a child.
Yes! It turns the most distressingly gross non-food color when you mix it all up, and doesn't taste like anything in nature, but it's the only way to eat it.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Woo View Post
I'd eat 'em all. But separately. If I didn't have a knife to separate them, I'd pass. I like all three flavors, but not together.
Veeeeery interesting. Now tell me about your mother.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

My preference, in order, is vanilla, chocolate, and then somewhere way down, strawberry. Strawberry ice cream just never did it for me, though I love good fresh strawberries. I'd actually prefer a bowl of strawberries or a hot filling of strawberries and sugar with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to strawberry ice cream.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectralist View Post
All of them. But not at the same time. I'll mix the chocolate and vanilla or the strawberry and vanilla but not the chocolate and the strawberry.
Oddly enough, of the combinations, it's chocolate and strawberry I like the best.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

One word: Spumoni.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 PM

All of them when I ate Neapolitan, which I haven't in quite a few years since I realized that they were pretty low-quality versions of the flavours, compared to getting a carton of straight-up chocolate, vanilla or strawberry.