#1  
Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Nunka Nunka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Hip Hip Hurrah

The column focused on the "Hip Hip", but what of the "Hurrah"?

I used to be married to a Danish girl and they claim that "hurrah" was a viking battle cry used when slaughtering everyone, no special "hurrah" dispensation given by race, religion, or region.
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Grayce Grayce is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Hip Hip Hurrah

There is a different "hip" for hippies in the 1960s. It is associated with drugs and lying on one hip, like an opium smoker for example. Hippies was a derogatory label, or at least descriptive, and was not used by a person for himself/herself. As it became associated with the peace movement and flower power, "flower child" and "hippie" began to mean the same thing.
  #3  
Old 04-26-2012, 04:41 AM
cochrane cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 18,612
Helpful link to the column in question:

Was "hip hip hurrah" originally an anti-Semitic taunt?
  #4  
Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 PM
John W. Kennedy John W. Kennedy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chatham, NJ, USA
Posts: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayce View Post
There is a different "hip" for hippies in the 1960s. It is associated with drugs and lying on one hip, like an opium smoker for example.
Highly improbable. Both “hip” and “hep” in the current sense are attested back as far as the first decade of the 20th century, and the root meaning appears to have been “aware”, “with it”, etc.. Besides, don’t you know where all the hippies meet?
__________________
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres
Nourished the land on a fallacy of rational virtue."
-- Charles Williams. Taliessin through Logres: Prelude
  #5  
Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 PM
samclem samclem is offline
Graphite is a great
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 25,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunka View Post
The column focused on the "Hip Hip", but what of the "Hurrah"?

I used to be married to a Danish girl and they claim that "hurrah" was a viking battle cry used when slaughtering everyone, no special "hurrah" dispensation given by race, religion, or region.
Of course, they have printed proof from the 10th-14th century that "hurrah" was a viking battle cry. I always thought it was, but proof would solidify my view.
  #6  
Old 04-27-2012, 02:35 PM
John W. Kennedy John W. Kennedy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chatham, NJ, USA
Posts: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Of course, they have printed proof from the 10th-14th century that "hurrah" was a viking battle cry. I always thought it was, but proof would solidify my view.
Actually, I’ve seen “Harroo!” as a Viking battle cry in a play from the 1930s (“Judgement at Chelmsford” by Charles Williams), so there’s probably some truth in it. However, that’s not the same thing as establishing that it is the origin of MnE “Hurrah”. The OED believes “Hurrah” is an alteration of “Huzza”, possibly under foreign influence, but dates both “Huzza” and “Hurrah” (not to mention “Hurray”) long, long after the Vikings.

--
John W. Kennedy
“Who roar for the Sub-warden!”—Sylvie and Bruno
  #7  
Old 04-27-2012, 06:21 PM
samclem samclem is offline
Graphite is a great
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 25,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by John W. Kennedy View Post
Actually, I’ve seen “Harroo!” as a Viking battle cry in a play from the 1930s (“Judgement at Chelmsford” by Charles Williams), so there’s probably some truth in it.
Not sure how that puts truth into the viking origins.

Quote:
However, that’s not the same thing as establishing that it is the origin of MnE “Hurrah”. The OED believes “Hurrah” is an alteration of “Huzza”, possibly under foreign influence, but dates both “Huzza” and “Hurrah” (not to mention “Hurray”) long, long after the Vikings.

--
John W. Kennedy
“Who roar for the Sub-warden!”—Sylvie and Bruno
Thanks for that. I didn't realize how far back that cry went.
  #8  
Old 04-27-2012, 06:59 PM
dropzone dropzone is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by John W. Kennedy View Post
Besides, don’t you know where all the hippies meet?
South Street, South Street.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017