The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 04-27-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
A.J. Raffles and Bunny Manders
That doesn't really seem to quite fit. Bunny's not particularly smart, nor is he the social member of the team. The only thing he really shares with the Watson character is that he's the recorder of genius and occasionally his bumbling distracts official attention away.
Advertisements  
Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspberry hunter View Post
I came in to say Lord Peter and Harriet Vane, in the later books.
Although Harriet would protest, and was a competent Detective in her own right.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:44 PM

Wolfe's addiction is to "the good life"...fine food, good beer, excellent literature, his orchids, freedom from the want that characterized his childhood and young adulthood in Montenegro. It's practically the only reason he works (aside from hurt pride, as when the prospective client is killed not only in his own house, not only in his own office, but with HIS OWN NECKTIE! or close friendship (Too Many Cooks)).
Old 04-27-2012, 05:25 PM

Interesting that there seem to only be two female detectives, if I'm counting right: Bones/Booth, and Abby/McGee.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Four things and a lizard
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtayk View Post
The House/Wilson is actually a homage to Holmes/Watson. Even the name House is a play on words (synonym of a homonym of Holmes). The series creator Bryan Singer alluded to this in some interview.
Yep. If you look carefully in the episodes where they show the outside of the building House lives in, his address is 221B.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyworth View Post
Interesting that there seem to only be two female detectives, if I'm counting right: Bones/Booth, and Abby/McGee.
Om TV? There's Rizzoli ans Isles, though the sidekick is a medical examiner and not another detective. And Deputy Chief Brenda Lee Johnson on The Closer. She has a whole posse of sidekicks.

There used to be Cagney and Lacey.

And who else?... Angie Dickinson played a female cop in a series, but I can't remember her character's name. And there were Charlie's Angels.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Doctor Who + companion.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
Archie Goodwin certainly respects Nero Wolfe, but unlike Hastings and Watson, Archie is a wise guy and a bit of an iconoclast. Watson would NEVER dream of mocking Holmes' affectations, ...
Not true.

www.classicreader.com/book/1470/1/

Holmes: You have heard me speak of Professor Moriarty?"

Watson: "The famous scientific criminal, as famous among crooks as--"

Holmes : "My blushes, Watson!"

Watson : "I was about to say, as he is unknown to the public."

Homes: A touch! A distinct touch! You are developing a certain unexpected vein of pawky humour, Watson, against which I must learn to guard myself.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Laura Holt + Remington Steele
Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
BANNED

I love Hercule Poirot and Hastings. I find it quite hilarious how Poirot basically calls Hastings and idiot throughout the books.
I have read every one of the novels.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyworth View Post
Tommy and Tuppence are supposed to fit the OP's bill: "itís quite impossible to lead him astray through his imagination. He hasnít got any Ė so heís difficult to deceive. He worries things out slowly, and once heís got hold of anything he doesnít let go. The little ladyís quite different. More intuition and less common sense. They make a pretty pair working together. Pace and stamina."

And, to an extent, it's true. Upon setting up shop in their own detective agency, she's brilliant and unconventional -- "solving" their first case in front of her slack-jawed partner (by dint of staging the fake crime to begin with); faking psychic powers on a genuine case that follows ("Oh, that was just cheating," said Tuppence happily. "I opened her letter..."); cracking an otherwise unbreakable alibi by falling asleep so her subconscious can come up with "rather a funny idea. Not at all like anything I have ever read in detective stories" while he's been trying to do it by the book, showing photographs to all the right people and greasing palms; that sort of thing.

For bonus points, they're so genre-savvy that Tuppence initiates one case by saying "I am going to be the star, and you will be the humble assistant" -- which prompts Tommy to note "that it's always an innocent remark by the simple Denny that puts McCarty on the right track" -- and, of course, after they're well stymied for a bit, he eventually says something innocuous that sparks her bewildered stare and a congratulatory "It's just as you said. One simple remark!"

Needless to say, he also handles the physical bravery in between keeping up smooth relations with the authorities; it's not a perfect parallel by any stretch (as he's too good a sleuth and she's too good with people), but you could do a lot worse.