The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Good morning! I'm up, showered, dressed, and waiting for everyone one else to do the same and/or show up so we can get some breakfast, then head to the Branch Ave Metro station for our nerdalicious day!

Hugs to the sickies, gropes to the sickos, and all kinds of happy wishes to the soon-to-be-newlyweds. swampy, y'all be nice to your new daddy, now!

Happy Last Saturday in April!!!
Advertisements  
Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

10 hours to half weekend
Old 04-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Wow lots of goings on this week for everyone. I am so glad to hear your mom is doing bettersoapy.

Afte having a rough couple of work weeks I ended up doing some more work yesterday on my vacation day so I aint charging it as a vacation day. Ha! That'll show 'em! I did get a promise from the north America controller to buy me lunch or anything I wanted for the work I did and an apology from his boss the global controller for his team being so disorganized and pulling in many directions. So I am going to bank those favors and use them accordingly!

We are Hot Springs AR for the weekend and feeling veeeeeeery relaxed. Happy weekend!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:02 AM

Favors in the bank? Excellent!

THanks for the well wishes. SHe continues to do well, though still suffers from bouts of confusion and trouble with short term memory. Everyone assures us this will get better.

Today is a milestone: We are moving our first load of stuff to our newly rented home on LI. We're only in for a few hours, since no one except hubby has seen the house yet (except pictures). From the pictures and map location, and his detailed description, it was everything I wanted in a rental. Hopefully, this next time next year, we'll be buying.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm the *Cute* one. =^.^=

but but but Soapy - you never told us how the phoneterview went!

as for my non-reappointment, the newly appointed individual sent me this:
If it's OK with you, please continue doing everything you do! I'm just coordinating and going to meetings. I have a crazy busy life, with a business to run, and I'm short on time to do more than I do now.
which leaves me to wonder why she even accepted the appointment... <insert evil grin here>
Old 04-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

rosie, sounds like she could want all of the credit, but none of the work. I don't know; you know her, I don't. Why take something on when you don't have the time to do it?

Yes, Soapy; how did the phoneterview go? I know it must be bittersweet, but on the other hand, you and your sweetie will be back together full time. That will be good both you and the kids.

We're going to see our friends this evening and meet their new puppy. By all accounts, he's quite the love. Their other dog is mother henning the new puppy, but she's having a hard time with the loss of her "sister" Wilma. Poor thing cried all night long when Wilma was put down. That was hard for me to deal with, as I went with my friend and sat with her while they put Wilma down. That was so heartbreaking and hard, but the right thing to do.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:03 AM

Right, the interview!

First, for the record, I hate phone interviews. No visual cues, the disembodied voices, the bad connection, all that.

I've been vacillating between thinking I did extremely well to thinking I sucked. Most questions I anticipated or was well prepared for, a couple I had to think quickly about! The best part was at the end when I could ask my questions, and I asked some questions about program development that they seemed very excited by. Things they said they hadn't thought of and thought were good ideas. I figured that's gotta be worth something!

Next week they'll notify who will be coming out for on campus interviews. Time is crawling!

I had a phone interview for an adjunct position a couple days ago that sounded very good, so I might at least have a part-time teaching gig if this one doesn't work out.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

I'm not fan of phone interviews, either. I will keep all appendages crossed for you, Soapy.

Hah, discovered I lost two Facebook friends today. One, I'm not surprised by; I'm only surprised it took this long. We used to be friends with her Dad but he dropped us as friends both in real life and on FB when we weren't overjoyed that he dropped his girlfriend of three years (also a good friend) for someone he met at a reunion and married a month later. I'm sure he must have seen post I put on his daughter's wall and talked to her. Whatever. Her Dad was an ass towards us in the last few months of our friendship anyway. We don't miss him. I liked his daughter and son-in-law. They were great people actually. Oh well, it's not like we'd ever see them; they live in California and when we did see them it was when they came to visit her Dad. I never told her about the falling out, because I found the whole thing so stupid. I never bad-mouthed her Dad either. That was between us and him.

The other FB friend was my husband's niece in law. I don't know why, but it doesn't bother me a lot. We only see them around the holidays and we didn't "talk" much on FB.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I have spent pretty much all day in a hammock by the lake reading. I am so relaxed it is insane..........
Old 04-28-2012, 04:16 PM

That link was from the movie Freaks for the uninitiated. You must see it. It's wonderful. It's about sideshow freaks in the 1930s (real sideshow freaks) who get back at the people who think they can take advantage of them. The hero of the piece later went on to play one of the Lollipop Guild in The Wizard of Oz.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all from my mom's smart thinkin' machine! I've been a busy bear today. OYKW has been a busy bear's helper, poor thing. We accomplished a lot of mom chores. When a mother says, "I really need to get so and so and such and such done," what a son hears, no matter how old he is, is "you need to get so and so and such and such done." Thus we are tahrd from all the sos and sos and suches and suches.

We're all clean and purtified now. In just a bit we're headed over to the son of the happy groom for a cookout. Should be a hoot. I'll be meetin' a couple of his sons for the first time and OYKW will be meetin' everybody in Frank's family for the first time. Sis has promised to run interference for him as needed.

Ok, gotta get off'n the smart thinkin' box so's we can go.

Laterz!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

How cool is that, Swampy! Congrats to your mama and her groom!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 PM

Evenin'!

Congratulations Swampmom!

The plumbing course was on, and was great! Spent half the day taking different taps to bits and puttin' em back together, and solderin' pipes and all sorts. Might try tackle the leaky tap tomorrow

I also need to do a lot of seed planting tomorrow after last night; after I went to bed, I remembered I'd left a plant out in the little crappy plastic greehouse I've got, one that should have come in for the night, so went out in my jammies to get it. I have never, in my life, seen so many slugs and snails in one place. It was incredible. It was Slugmageddon out there... I could hear them eating, and they'd cleared two entire trays of plants already and it was only midnight. It's a good job I don't like the neighbour, 'cos I had bare feet, so I wasn't stomping on anything, so the lot of the little buggers went over the 6 foot fence
Revenge for the cig butts they chuck back over my way.

Anyways, I'm off to an early slug-free bed. G'night!
Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I am exhausted! The science expo was CROWDED!!!!!!!!!!!! But it was really well done - lots of hands-on in all sorts of scientific areas. I went by Purdue's booth and got a lanyard and a button - go Boilermakers! Honestly, I have no warm and fuzzies toward my alma mater - it was just a means to an end. I would like to go back just to see how much the campus has changed since 1979, but that's about all.

We tried to see the Mythbusters' presentation, but it was crazy crowded, and FCD was really hurting by that time. They did walk right past us on their way out, tho - my brush with fame. We left shortly after their show because my sweetie and I were exhausted. Daughter and her friend wanted to stay, but they understood why we really needed to leave - it was hard on my sweetie's back. On the way home, we stopped at Famous Dave's for supper, and now we're in the chill mode.

It's rainy, but it's supposed to be nice tomorrow afternoon, so I may get some dirt time. For tonight, tho, it's knitting till I crash and burn.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:59 PM

The puppy, Lil Miss Rowdy, has had a mixed day. First, I left her for a couple of hours all by herself. She hates this. But, I came back and put her harness and leash on her. HAPPINESS! Then, instead of heading to the dog park, I went in the direction of the vet. Oh, such sadness! But then, I went someplace new! (It was REI, and I was trying to get them to put my bike rack on my car because I've lost the instructions.) And then . . . I took her to Fiesta Island, an off leash dog park. ECSTASY! JOY! There was fetching, there was digging in the sand, there was racing back and forth like a wild dog. She even learned that seawater is not hot lava when she ran after a ball that landed in the water.

But now . . . she's puked twice, is running a fever, and only just came to sit in my lap a few minutes ago. I gave her some ginger, a small dose of aspirin, and an antibiotic leftover from a previous bout of GI crud that she had. It's so sad when the puppy is sick.

In the meantime, the cable remove is missing, and I suspect my dad has made off with it. He's gotten in the habit of searching our bedroom for things he's missing, and occasionally, he takes our version of it. Which means I'm going to have to wait for him to go out or go to bed to search the family room for both controls.

Also, I'm supposed to be packing for my trip on Tuesday, and I'm having major procrastination problems. What does one take on a three week/forever trip? I can't take all of it, it won't fit, which makes me want to leave all of it. Except I need some of it. *sigh* My brain hurts.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

I has my new(refurbished) laptop! It's even a Thinkpad(one of us has to do the thinking ) I went to my "just friend"'s house for some house sitting and feed the cats( [Mrs. Slocum]I went to my friend's house and played with her pussy[/Mrs. Slocum])

Rosie's sig to all!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:48 PM

Found the cable remote. The dog had been sleeping on it.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:35 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Good morning! We had some serious rain come thru last night, but it's now sunny and we're promised a nice spring day. I had a night of bizarro dreams, waking at least twice, but for the most part, I'm well rested and ready to enjoy a day of sloth.

Kanga - I think one of our cats was screwing around with our remote - when I turned on the TV, the setting was changed for a gaming console input rather than the cable. We don't own a gaming console, so obviously the cats have one that they use when we're away, the little sneaks!!

That's all I've got. Happy Sunday, all!!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Guten Morgen (look! on topic!) from mom's smart thinkin' box. We've brekkied and I's all purtified, ok, clean but not dressed in my Sunday best yet and OYKW is finishin' up his purtification. Gonna be a great but looooooooooong day ahead for everyone concerned. Church, the hitchin' and the luncheon afterwards plus seein' the happy bride and groom off on their honeymoon which is actually just a couple of days at Callaway Gardens (I'd link but I'm too lazy maybe later) which is only 17miles away. However, they are goin' on a trip to Branson, MO in a couple of weeks which is sump'n they love and a couple weeks after that to the beach in Flarhduh. Heck, looks like their life together will be goin' on honeymoons.

MOOOOOOM ya gotta love any college that names their sports teams after a shot and a beer.

kanga poor puppy! Hope she feels better. Don't have any advice about packin' cause I, too, just hate to pack.

Nut ewwwww slugs!

doggio yay for new (refurbished) smart thinkin' box!

Everybody else, yay, boo, hugs, gropes, noogies, wedgies, trouts, chitlins, how you doin's as needed.

Guess I should go get suited up and such.

Laterz!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
MOOOOOOM ya gotta love any college that names their sports teams after a shot and a beer.
Yeah, I think it went the other way, but whatever.

So, you never clarified for us, will you be the ring bearer for your mom's wedding? And yay for her multiple honeymoons!! We didn't even have one, so she gets our share!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 AM

Good news everyone! (Read that in the Professor Farnsworth voice from Futurama) Culinary Boy's disability kicks in at the beginning of June! We'll be able to get that trailer and a kittycat that we've been talking about! It will also keep me from killing him for letting his roommates get hold of his cellphone last night and sending me worrisome texts.

Wanna break your brain? Listen to the Thin Lizzy version of "Whiskey in the Jar" right after the Metallica version. My only complaint is I wish they'd pronounce the Gaelic right. Both of 'em.

Congrats to the newly expanded swampyfamily!

Poor kangapuppy.

FCM, was your brush with fame in the form of Jamie's mustache?

That's enough smiley abuse for now.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

In honor of the SwampWedding, a joke from the VunderBob Archivestm:

A pair of octogenarians decide to get married. The woman, having health issues, goes to the doctor for a physical.

The wedding then happened, and the happy senior couple disappeared for their honeymoon. They start to get frisky, and take off all their clothes. Then she says, "We have to go slow. The doctor says I have acute angina."

To which the groom replied, "That's true, but those are the ugliest tits I've ever seen."
Old 04-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Good morning, all!

Sorry about the down sides of kangapuppy's day yesterday.

Yay on good news, Spaz.

What a beautiful day for a wedding! Well, here it is.

Need to get some stuff cleaned up here and also get some gardening done.

Hugs all.

GT
Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VunderBob View Post
In honor of the SwampWedding, a joke from the VunderBob Archivestm:

A pair of octogenarians decide to get married. The woman, having health issues, goes to the doctor for a physical.

The wedding then happened, and the happy senior couple disappeared for their honeymoon. They start to get frisky, and take off all their clothes. Then she says, "We have to go slow. The doctor says I have acute angina."

To which the groom replied, "That's true, but those are the ugliest tits I've ever seen."
LOL

Cleaning up the house, before I go over to my "just friend"'s house for laundry and watching hockey with her cats.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

There's a car show in Leonardtown today that prevented us from having breakfast in our usual place (they were only doing an abbreviated menu) but we went to the Leonardtown Grille, then back to the square to look at the classic cars and trucks. I'm definitely not a car geek, but there were some cool vehicles there, including a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud, and the owner was dressed like a 30s-era chauffeur - very cool. There was also an old bambilance and the owner said he still had some original band-aids in it! You should go check it out, BBBobbio!

FCD is futzing with the aquarium, and I'm thinking about going outside to play in the dirt. Dunno, tho - I'm feeling pretty lazy...

Old 04-29-2012, 11:18 AM

OK people, you can stop worrying now, I know it's the last day for this MMP but I have finally arrived!

Not that I've been away doing anything exciting but work has been insane this week - I was supposed to be training my replacement but it looks like she's resigning instead so my new work plans have all gone down the tubes, the good news is that I get to stay in my current position for a bit longer. Just how long is a rather open-ended question at the moment.

The plan is to track down the second candidate they wanted for this job and see if she's interested, still wants it and is in any position to accept, or they might look at the other previous applicants to see if there are any worth interviewing, or they might readvertise. Whatever happens, my colleague who wants to retire will be staying until the end of September (albeit on a reduced-hours basis) and I'll be soldiering on for as long as they need me.

At this rate, I'll still be in the job when the terms of my severance exclusion are over!

Busy week has been had, busy weekend has been had, now I am running a bath to help get over all the excitement. The weather's been absolutely foul today, heavy rain and gale-force winds so the heating's been on, the cats have commandeered their favourite snoozing spots, and the humans very wisely have not ventured out of the house.

Roll on Monday, huh?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

We met the sweetest puppy last night. He is such a love bunny and snuggler, and so very placid for a lab mix. He's only eight weeks old. As soon as I picked him up, he snuggled right into me. He's also a huge fan of belly rubs.

Thank God we're sensible enough to realize that two dogs is plenty for us, because otherwise I would have rushed right down to the Humane Society to adopt another one.

We had a very nice visit with our friends too. V, the one friend who I sat with while her dog was put down, just wanted to see us and laugh again. She's not fully into the new puppy yet, but they got him for their other dog who was just so miserable without her "sister". In time, she'll grow to love Jasper. Right now, she's still heartbroken over Wilma. I told her Jasper isn't a replacement for Wilma, just another dog to love and dote upon; just as the two dogs we have now will never replace our sweet Cap'n. They're dogs we just wanted share our love with, and have their own personalities and quirks that make them loveable in their own unique way.

I have errands to run today and laundry to do. If the damn weather clears up, I want to wash my rig. It's filthy dirty.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I will start us off tomorrow unless someone else has an uncontrollable need to launch the next MMP. In fact, I'm going to draft my OP right now...
Old 04-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

All in favor of MOOOOOOM bein' our hostest with the mostest with an assortment of bagels and flavored cream cheeses, say "Aye."

AYE!!!!!!

All those opposed just what is your major malfunction say "Nay."

::crickets::

The "Ayes" have it. MOOOOOM shall be tomorrow's hijackable OP.

Ok, now that that's out of the way....

Howdy Y'all I'm home! Actually been home for about an hour but had to put stuff away and get a load of dainties in the wash, which are now in the dryer.

The weddin' was really nice. BTW BBBobbio <snerk> the joke, although older than a couple of folks in their 80s on a honeymoon, is funny. <snerk> Also, MOOOOOOM I proffered the idea that my next to oldest brother be ringbearer and I be the flower boy but I got vetoed.

Ok, back to the weddin'. The lineup on the groom's side was standard procedure, i.e., the groom and his sons walk in and stand there like good little soldiers. The lineup on the bride's side was out of the ordinary I guess I should say. Sis served as matron of honor and walked down the aisle herself. She didn't trip over her high heels so I was proud of her. Then followed mom on the arm of my oldest brother. My other older brother and I followed behind. We got to the altar and the minister asked who gives this bride away and oldest brother answered, "her daughter and her sons." A little teary eyed moment there. Then we all took our places, mom beside the groom, of course, sis beside mom, then oldest brother, next to oldest brother and moi. Then went the ceremony, the short and sweet version everybody knows. They kiss, the minister presents Mr. and Mrs Newlywed, clap, clap, clap which I find a little tacky but what the hey. Bride and groom march down the aisle, then sis and groom's oldest son, then it got a little weird because next is oldest bro and groom's next youngest son, then next to oldest bro and and groom's next youngest son and then, well, no more groom's sons because the other one had opted to take pictures instead. So da bear stands alone and gets to walk out on his lonesome. As I start, the minister said, under his breath, "wow they left you high and dry." I replied, under my breath, "nah, the best is always saved for last." Left him standin' there with the giggles. Leave 'em laughin' I always say.

The luncheon afterwards was a feast! I had no idea. We had crab stuffed and herb stuffed mushrooms as appetizers, then shrimp cocktail (secret confession, I don't like cocktail sauce so OYKW had extra sauce which he likes), spinach sallit, meatballs (pork, veal, beef YUM!) in an excellent marinara sauce over pasta and, of course, weddin' cake for dessert. I drove halfway back then told OYKW he had to drive the other half cause I was gettin' sleepified.

A good time was had by all. OYKW who is a little overwhelmed with my semi-raucous family, his bein' rather staid, was really overwhelmed with Frank's (the groom) huge boisterous Italian family. A good time was had though.

Long post ain't it? I got a little more so if you need a break go ahead. I'll wait.

Back? Good!

Before we left yestiddy I broke down and turned on the a /c because of temps predicted to be in the lower 90's yestiddy and today. We swung by OYKW's house so he could do the same. It's hawt outside still, so it turned out to be a good idea. Go Me! What? I took a break just to come back and read that you say? I didn't say you had to take a break. So There!

I have a feelin' this will be a melatonin and early night kind of night.

Laterz!

Last edited by swampbear; 04-29-2012 at 05:26 PM..
Old 04-29-2012, 05:47 PM

So lack of sleep & time travel, coupled with Little League activities conspired to keep me away from QWERTY typing device until today. I don't know how those German's do it; Y & Z are flipped, assorted symbols are in different places, the "@" sign is accessed by a second-Alt key + Q. Confused the 'ell outta me.
The trip was good except for the logistics. Loaded onto flying sardine can, unloaded, then loaded onto another one 5 hrs later, which of course caused missed connecting flight. Oh & the sound didn't work on the seatback entertainment system. It was about 1am until I got a new seat. Who really wants to start a movie at 1am? Hotel was okay, except for a little security issue.

Ordering Chinese food in German, when there's no common language was kinda in'eresting. I tried to get some culture but gave up when I decided I couldn't read the blurbs to know what I was looking at in museum.

Gotta go bring in dindin now. Chicken, baked N.O.T. & for dessert, bananas drizzled with chocolate sauce, all done on the grill. Mmmmm!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 PM

I would love to be Kanga's baby "Roo" when it rains!

I could snuggle up in her pouch, be warm and dry as I listened to all the drops of rain.

But then I'd also feel guilty because it would mean that my Mom was getting wet and maybe even sick if she couldn't find a hidey hole where we could both be dry.

So I guess I wouldn't appreciate being out of the rain so much after all.

Moms rock!

Q
Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 PM

Congrats on the swampy wedding! I hope they have many years of happiness together!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 PM

I think I may need a little more "Time In Grade" before posting. Still riding with "training wheels" at present.

swampbear, it appears I missed a wedding you and MOOOOM were involved in? Apologies for not knowing the details, but I was just too lazy to scroll up.

Anyway, I'll be lurking a bit more so that I can post a little more "in keeping" with y'all's philosophy.

Thanks

Quasi!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm the *Cute* one. =^.^=

philosophy? what philosophy? we just post random mundanery, then laugh about it.

See y'all in the next MMP

@->- =^.^=
Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
I think I may need a little more "Time In Grade" before posting. Still riding with "training wheels" at present.

swampbear, it appears I missed a wedding you and MOOOOM were involved in? Apologies for not knowing the details, but I was just too lazy to scroll up.

Anyway, I'll be lurking a bit more so that I can post a little more "in keeping" with y'all's philosophy.

Thanks

Quasi!
Quasi, the wedding was that of Swampy's real life mother. Mooooooom is FairyChatMom, no relation, but that doesn't stop any support or rib poking aroun' heah.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
I would love to be Kanga's baby "Roo" when it rains!

I could snuggle up in her pouch, be warm and dry as I listened to all the drops of rain.

But then I'd also feel guilty because it would mean that my Mom was getting wet and maybe even sick if she couldn't find a hidey hole where we could both be dry.

So I guess I wouldn't appreciate being out of the rain so much after all.

Moms rock!

Q
I always keep an umbrella handy, but you will have to duke it out with Lil Miss Rowdy, as she has first dibs on cuddling rights.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
All in favor of MOOOOOOM bein' our hostest with the mostest with an assortment of bagels and flavored cream cheeses, say "Aye."
Lox.
There's gotta be lox.
Only thing salmon is good for.