The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 04-25-2012, 04:57 PM

I recall an old Doonesbury from during the Watergate hearings. 3 panels showing Capitol Hill with those balloonless word-balloons Trudeau uses above it -- two Congresscritters talking -- "How are the hearings going?" "Terrible! Half the witnesses swear their boss can do no wrong, the other half swear he's a crook!" "Who's up next?" "Colson! And who knows what he'll say!"

4th Panel: Colson seated before the Congressional committee: "Jesus asked me to be here with you today."
Advertisements  
Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monkey With a Gun View Post
Wait, what? I'm not defending Colson! God damn you're dumb. I just don't think Republicans are waging biological warfare on Africa. Do you? Der Trihs does and that belief is insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudotriton ruber ruber View Post
Cite?
Clarify, please. Cite that it's an insane belief, or cite that Der Trihs holds it?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Clarify, please. Cite that it's an insane belief, or cite that Der Trihs holds it?
I think if you prove one, it pretty much takes care of the other.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Cite that Der Trihs ever expressed the belief that "Republicans are waging biological warfare on Africa."
Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Cite that Der Trihs ever expressed the belief that "Republicans are waging biological warfare on Africa."
God damn, you're dumb. The cite you want is post 28. Did you even read this thread? The thing's been quoted four or five times already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs
The Republicans have always essentially looked at AIDS as a biological weapon to kill gays and Africans; something to be encouraged, not stopped.
I suppose you could make a semantic case that that isn't outright "biological warfare", but if he believes that Republicans are encouraging the spread of what they view as a biological weapon to kill Africans, it's close enough.

Last edited by armedmonkey; 04-25-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 PM

And for the record, I will never shed a tear for Colson. Let the motherfucker rot.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
God damn, you're dumb. The cite you want is post 28. Did you even read this thread? The thing's been quoted four or five times already.
I suppose you could make a semantic case that that isn't outright "biological warfare", but if he believes that Republicans are encouraging the spread of what they view as a biological weapon to kill Africans, it's close enough.
"essentially looked at" is a far cry from "waging." You need to learn how to read. Seriously. Don't hit "submit reply." Don't even bother composing the lame reply. Just go out and enroll in a "remedial reading for idiots" course. Today. Right now. Do it.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:35 AM

God damn, you're just as bad as he is.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:46 AM

I blame Chuck Colson for this entire trainwreck of a thread.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:01 AM

Quote:
"essentially looked at" is a far cry from "waging." You need to learn how to read. Seriously. Don't hit "submit reply." Don't even bother composing the lame reply. Just go out and enroll in a "remedial reading for idiots" course. Today. Right now. Do it.
I will actually answer this. Let's look at this not with semantics, but with logic.

"Republicans have always essentially essentially looked at AIDS as a biological weapon to kill gays and Africans"

A biological weapon to kill. That's what he is saying. They look at AIDS as a biological weapon to kill.

That's insane.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
I will actually answer this. Let's look at this not with semantics, but with logic.

"Republicans have always essentially essentially looked at AIDS as a biological weapon to kill gays and Africans"

A biological weapon to kill. That's what he is saying. They look at AIDS as a biological weapon to kill.

That's insane.
No, it's what they themselves have been saying every time they claimed it was God's judgment on homosexuals.

And "insane"? Not wrong, but insane? Since when is accusing a group known to be bigoted of enjoying the deaths of the people they hate "insane"? Especially when so many openly gloat over those deaths. Your own position is far closer to "insane"; your absolute denial of even the possibility of Republican bigotry, to such an extent that anyone who thinks they are bigots is not merely wrong, but "insane".
Old 04-26-2012, 06:12 AM
BANNED

See, now one of the first things you could learn from your "remedial reading for idiots" course" (you HAVE signed up, haven't you? Or do you want some help filling out the application form?) is that the word "essentially" (or the words "basically," "figuratively," or the expressions "as if" or "in essence") is a CLUE that the words that immediately follow will be a kind of metaphor or other imaginative, not-literal summation. In your further coursework, you'll learn that overlooking this basic fact will lead you to make what is known as a "strawman" argument, a fallacy in which you attack statements that your antagonist has not actually made. This allows you to jump up and down on what you think is the corpse of your defeated antagonist but which is actually a pile a straw, while everyone else points fingers at you and proclaims how dumb you are. HINT: this is generally considered undesirable, and should be avoided by people not wishing to earn a reputation for massive dumbness.

Last edited by pseudotriton ruber ruber; 04-26-2012 at 06:13 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 06:36 AM

Dudes, insanity is standing by a viewpoint when all facts prove otherwise. Lobohan, who is as left wing as they come, also pointed this out. Bush started PEPFAR for Christ's sake's.

Republicans are people, too.

Except for Colson, I'm pretty sure that guy was born of from some unholy union between a lizard and and a weasel.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
No, it's what they themselves have been saying every time they claimed it was God's judgment on homosexuals.
Who the hell is they? Again, aside from nut bags like Jerry Falwell who in fact is not a spokesman for the Republican Party, show where the Republicans have been saying AIDS is God's judgment on homosexuals, openly gloat over their deaths and have encouraged the use of AIDS as biological warfare against homosexuals (oh, and black people. You keep forgetting you said they want to kill non-white people with AIDS too). Still no comment on Koop, the Evil Xian Repug who launched an unprecedented campaign to combat the spread of AIDS including advocating the use of condoms and sex education in schools demonstrating the proper use of a condom to the horror of religious extremists opposed to birth control, much less sex outside of heterosexual marriage?

Quote:
And "insane"?
Yes, insane. You are a crazy person. Four people have already told you that your statements in this thread alone are those of a crazy person. That and there was that bout of paranoia where you claimed to be having your worlds distorted in order to slander you which was clearly a creation in your own mind in total variance with reality. You are capable of being reasonable, but as soon as something involving the Republicans or religion is mentioned you are incapable of rational thought and dive headlong into the deep end of insanity, honestly believing that Republicans and all religions are composed of nothing but murderous bigots gloating over how many people they kill without any hyperbole. That is insane. You and Falwell have a lot in common in your view of the world, but only an idiot would claim the nonsense you spout is indicative of the views held by everyone on the left and/or atheists. I should know, Iím on the left and think youíre bat shit insane when it comes to these two issues.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:51 AM

Let me quote that cite, Der Trihs, (OK, it's wikipedia, but still...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
PEPFAR has been called the largest health initiative ever initiated by one country to address a disease.
So you can both shut the fuck up. Republicans (a group I am decidedly not a member of) do not "essentially looked at AIDS as a biological weapon to kill gays and Africans".

That's conspiracy theory thinking. It's insane.

Last edited by armedmonkey; 04-26-2012 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: dissonance ninja'd me a bit
Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
do not "essentially looked at AIDS
In your advanced coursework (many, many years from now), you will study how to quote so that your grammar makes sense. Meanwhile, I'd work on that "remedial reading for idiots" if I were you...

No one is talking about Bush's policies here. Der Trihs specifically referred to Reagan-era policies which, at best, treated AIDS as "not our problem" and neglected to act quickly against it, refused to spend resources on allowing it to spread, and through their neglect, displayed a total lack of regard for the health of AIDS-sufferers everywhere, and especially in Africa. The fact that later generations of Republicans have been less callous in this regard doesn't begin to mitigate the criminal self-interest of the Republicans now under discussion, however much you try to shift the focus away from them.

There are big words in the previous paragraph. Ask your mommy to explain them to you.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM

There is simply no point in this. This is my last post in this thread. Colson is worm food, you're an idiot, and red shirt is insane.

I'm done.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In your advanced coursework (many, many years from now), you will study how to quote so that your grammar makes sense. Meanwhile, I'd work on that "remedial reading for idiots" if I were you...

No one is talking about Bush's policies here. Der Trihs specifically referred to Reagan-era policies which, at best, treated AIDS as "not our problem" and neglected to act quickly against it, refused to spend resources on allowing it to spread, and through their neglect, displayed a total lack of regard for the health of AIDS-sufferers everywhere, and especially in Africa. The fact that later generations of Republicans have been less callous in this regard doesn't begin to mitigate the criminal self-interest of the Republicans now under discussion, however much you try to shift the focus away from them.

There are big words in the previous paragraph. Ask your mommy to explain them to you.
See, the problem here, prr, is that the sins you describe above appear to apply to the Republican Party of a generation ago; and Der Trihs, if post 28 is to be taken as an indication, sees those sins as equally applicable to the party today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
They pretty much are the same thing. The Republicans have always essentially looked at AIDS as a biological weapon to kill gays and Africans; something to be encouraged, not stopped.
ETA: Please consider reworking the portion of your quoted text that I have highlighted with various tags; it's reading a little incoherent.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 04-26-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
The fucker finally died, at 80 years old.

Sorry, but I don't buy into the born-again thing, especially not for someone as devious and cynical as Colson was, so no, he doesn't get any credit for working the God angle. He was a son of a bitch and a fucking traitorous asshole.

He will not be missed.
Working the God angle only made him more of a douchebag.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 AM

To hell with that guy. Really. to hell with him.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I blame Chuck Colson for this entire trainwreck of a thread.
I blame your mother.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 PM

So, wait... Chuck Colson is Gyrate's mother?

(Sorry-- I stopped paying attention thirty posts ago)
Old 05-08-2012, 06:07 AM

In retrospect, the pipe should have been a giveaway.

But he made an amazing chicken paprika.