The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 04-30-2012, 03:19 PM

In regards to the shadowbaby, it clearly has some sort of limited range/time of existence. Why else would it have been necessary for Davos to smuggle the Red Priestess behind Renly's lines?

Also, remember what the witch told Dany in season one. All magic comes with a price. The shadowbaby has already cost Stannis his sense of honor and righteousness that he feels so strongly about.
Advertisements  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryofEvil View Post
Theon says that Torhen's Square, which is presumably some sort of castle or town, would make a richer prize than the fishing villages on the stony shore he's supposed to raid. He then notes that he would never be able to hold it, because it is near Winterfell and the Winterfell garrison would quickly retake Torhen's Square. He then trails off and looks like he has an idea.

Later on at Winterfell, awesome sideburns guy tells Bran that Torhen's Square is under siege, but they don't know how or by whom. They suspect some sort of Lannister raiding party. Sideburns asks Bran for permission to gather the men who didn't go to war with Robb and to use them to liberate Torhen's Square from its unknown assailants. Bran tells him to do it.
You forgot the part about Bran's foreshadowing, which is what brought the smile to Theon's face.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
That might have been the first sign of Rickon since early season 1. I like that they showed repercussions for leaving a little kid parentless for a long time.
Yeah, I thought that was a nice touch. My boyfriend wondered why they would let Rickon make all that noise, but I'm pretty sure most of these citizens are used to seeing nobles doing weird shit.

Also, I am of the opinion that Bran's actor is a better actor than Dan Radcliffe at that age. I was watching the commentary for season 1 and one of the other actors (I forget who) commented that they would treat him like any other serious adult actor...and then they'd see him hitting a stick against a tree or something and have to remind themselves "oh yeah, he's a kid."
Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil0 View Post
You forgot the part about Bran's foreshadowing, which is what brought the smile to Theon's face.
Well I didn't forget, I was merely recapping a bit since he seemed confused, which is understandable given all the different place names that get tossed about.

If viewers want to make their own connections about Bran dreaming that the sea had come to Winterfell and what Theon is up to, that's their business.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Tales of San Francisco View Post
I must say I find this a fascinating read. I've been expecting a negative reaction to the shadow babies when these episodes aired, I know I wasn't sure how I felt about them at first.
I had assumed this shadow assassin was a one-off, like how using powerful magics costs you dearly so you can't do it very much. Your post leads me to believe we'll see more of these things.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryOfEvil
Later on at Winterfell, awesome sideburns guy tells Bran that Torhen's Square is under siege, but they don't know how or by whom. They suspect some sort of Lannister raiding party. Sideburns asks Bran for permission to gather the men who didn't go to war with Robb and to use them to liberate Torhen's Square from its unknown assailants. Bran tells him to do it.
Ah, I missed that last bit. Makes more sense then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil0 View Post
Theon was already long gone by the time Bran had his sea dream (and he only told Osha about it AFAWK). I see now that his plan is probably to sneak away from Torhen's Square, zoom about by sea and seize Winterfell while its garrison is busy trying to root him out of TS, but then again Winterfell is still one hell of a castle and Theon's crew seems to be only about a dozen strong. I doubt they could storm it, even if it was only garrisoned by Hodor.

I suppose he could be planning to bluff his way in though, "hey guys I'm back, 'sup, open the gates for me & my mates will ya ?", in which case I do hope Bran will suss out what his dream meant in time.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 PM
SDSAB

Anybody else think Theon's gang of disrespectful cutthroats have rather modern-looking costumes? Could almost be ACUs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ar...at_Uniform.jpg
Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 PM

Hah, yes i noticed some of them had camo.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Now that Danaerys is aware of Mormont's affection, I suspect she will begin to doubt his judgment and motives. I wonder if his doom will come sooner rather than later.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Now that Danaerys is aware of Mormont's affection, I suspect she will begin to doubt his judgment and motives. I wonder if his doom will come sooner rather than later.
Well, she did take his advice immediately after he was a bit too open. He's still the person that knows her best.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 PM

That sounded a lot more like she just wanted to get him out of her hair than actually listening to his advice to me.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM

Oh, something I'd almost entirely forgotten about until just now:

Dear Gendry,

Yes, good. Please be shirtless more often.

Love, Maiira.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Hah, yes i noticed some of them had camo.
Not sure if you (and/or Elendil's Heir) are joking or not, but just in case you're being serious: It's not camo, they're the same nondescript black clothes everybody wears in Pyke albeit heavily salt stained.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Geek alert!

Noodling around on Wikipedia, and realized that Julian Glover, the guy who played Gen. Veers in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, is the same guy now playing Grand Maester Pycelle in Game of Thrones.

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/ima...lVeers-ESB.jpg
http://unaffiliatedcritic.com/wp-con...ian-Glover.jpg
Also Donovan, whose chose poorly in Indiana Jones and the The Last Crusade.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
God in Heaven, I so want a "Like" button right now...
It's located right above the vagina... :innocent:
Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
It's located right above the vagina... :innocent:
Ewwww...
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 PM

Sooo ...

The "Ghosts" of Herrenhal are the secret group that kills people, right? And are they the "brotherhood" that people were being tortured to expose?

If Theon does take Winterfell, will he take Bran as a prisoner the way he himself was taken many years ago as collateral? I can see things going completely to hell for Theon if his plan fails. His attack may tip the hand of Pyke, possibly giving Robb enough time to take action. This would be immensely tragic for Theon - betraying Robb only to unwittingly betray his own people through his lust for status.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 PM

"Ghost", single. I assume it means Arya or Jaqen.

Last edited by DigitalC; 05-01-2012 at 09:19 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I had a hard time understanding a lot of the dialogue. If i hadn't read the books i would have had no idea whatsoever who or what the nightwatch guys were talking about.
I thought the same thing. I have to put the closed captioning on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craz3d117 View Post
The only reason why I'm just a little concerned about the whole shadow being thing is that as far as we know so far it can do its bidding with impunity, which really challenges the status quo in the show. I mean, what's stopping anyone else from being suddenly assassinated? No one can stop it. Again, this is just based off from what we know so far, but that's why they really need to explain the hell out of it, and I hope the Starks get some magic of their own somehow. I think this is being implied by Bran's visions, so we'll see.
They already set up why it can't be used over and over. If Stannis hopes to rule he can not be seen to be doing the Red Woman's bidding. Rumors are already starting.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 AM

Agreed - with the closed captioning on and the Brightness turned up to "11" I can just make out what is happening. I'm surprised that anyone is able to follow along who hasn't read the books.

It's like an opera with a well-known libretto, I can still enjoy the artistry of the telling, but I can't imagine liking it if I didn't know the story.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Huh.

I really have no sense that I don't know what's going on. This might be one of the reasons why when possible I watch the movie first and then read the book. Reading a book, particularly a good one, can ruin the experience of a film adaptation.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 AM

Well we meant it in the sense that you wouldn't be able to tell what was going on because the dialogue was hard to understand. Specially during the Nightswatch scenes.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Watching this again. The whole Qoth scenario reminds me of an ST:NG planet, with the warlocks and the The Thirteen.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Watching this again. The whole Qoth scenario reminds me of an ST:NG planet, with the warlocks and the The Thirteen.
I think Stargate: SG1 is a closer fit but, yeah, same idea.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Episode 6 thread