The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM

Some bastard stole my license plates

I live down a quiet road. My driveway is about 100 feet long with a turnaround near the end. I have a vehicle that stays parked in the turnaround most of the time. Last night I noticed the license plates were gone.

I called the police this morning and they came within about an hour and took a report. He said it's often people that have had a DUI, don't have insurance, or are illegal immigrants that steal plates to put on a vehicle so they can get around. I asked if I'd hear if they found the plates, he said probably, and if it went to court I'd be called to testify.

So now I've got to get new plates once I get a copy of the police report and I'm scanning the plates of vehicles as I drive around. I also ordered some bolts with special heads on them, to discourage future theft.

At least they didn't bother anything inside the unlocked vehicle, that makes me feel a little better.
Advertisements  
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM

It was me. I'll sell them back to you for $50.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Ha, nice try! It will only cost $20 from the DMV.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
It was me. I'll sell them back to you for $50.
Whatever...you'll take the money, then kill them anyway.

For all we know, they're already dead.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 AM

Yer dern tootin!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Whatever...you'll take the money, then kill them anyway.

For all we know, they're already dead.
You don't pay the money and he cuts off a four and send it to you in the mail just to show you he means business.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:18 PM

Just last month my wife got a ticket for being in a bus lane. Only trouble was, the bus lane was in Essex, 3 hours drive from where her car was parked on the day in question (her car has, on a matter of principle, never been to Essex).

We pulled up the video, same model car but a much darker shade. The plate looked the same, so it probably was not an ANPR error. I took a photo of our car and scanned the registration documents and sent them to the authorities. They cancelled the ticket, and informed the DVLA. We don't get new plates unless there are more issues, but I guess the number is flagged up in the Essex system, and the number-plate thieves will be caught eventually, probably when trying to fill up or something.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
Ha, nice try! It will only cost $20 from the DMV.
But isn't it worth $30 not to go the the DMV?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
But isn't it worth $30 not to go the the DMV?
Usually, but not my DMV. It's a little building and you walk right up to the counter. Usually no waiting.

I'm just glad nobody was stealing gas or speeding or robbing banks with my license plate number before I noticed the theft.

Last edited by control-z; 05-03-2012 at 02:30 PM..
Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Pseudolegal

Quote:
I also ordered some bolts with special heads on them, to discourage future theft.
I have a personalized license plate, and I had someone rip the plate off of the car and leave it lying on the ground nearby. I'll never know if it was an act of vandalism, or if someone was trying to steal it and just dropped it when caught in the act (my plate is sports-related, and this happened at a game involving a big sports rivalry).

Anyway, I picked up some of the special bolts you're talking about, and I haven't had any problems since then. Although I'm always worried I'm gonna lose the wrench to remove the bolts and be screwed some day.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I'm just glad nobody was stealing gas or speeding or robbing banks with my license plate number before I noticed the theft.
Though you gotta admit, it would be hilarious if you woke up to find helicopters circling your house with the SWAT team and news cameras outside!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:43 PM

It would be even funnier if the thief got busted and ended up making plates at the prison shop.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
It would be even funnier if the thief got busted and ended up making plates at the prison shop.
Very! And then imagine one of his fellow inmates stole the plates he had made, trying to pass them off as his own work. That would be so meta! Just like The Bicycle Thief.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 PM

I had the plates stolen off my motorcycle a few years ago. The police said that people scrape the registration sticker off the plate, and then sell the stickers. It actually ended up getting recovered. A cop in a town about 20 miles away saw a car with lots of license plates in the back, so he waited for somebody to come to the car, and arrested him. Then I got to go pick up my old plates, evidence tag and all. In the end it cost me $8 for new plates, and about an hour of my time, so not huge hassle in the grand scheme of things. And somebody did some time (or at least got to cleanup litter on the highway).

I did get the special screws for my bike. It means nobody can get the plate off without spending $4 at the hardware store for the special hex driver. Worked so far.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Many years ago I had the plates stolen off a car I owned. I reported that to the police. A few weeks later the police show up at my house, a car with my stolen plates was used to rob a bank. The car without the plates was found later abandoned on a military reservation. Never heard about them again. Cost me $12 at the time for replacements.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I had my old plates stolen while I was in line at the RMV to get new ones. (Car had California plates, and I was getting Massachusetts ones.) I had a hard time reporting the theft, too. I drove to the auto-parts store to get new bolts so I could put the new plates on, and while I was there, I borrowed a phone to call the police and report it. The guy I talked to on the phone was one of the dumbest people I have ever encountered. He told me it was "quite a coincidence" that my plates were stolen while I was in line at the RMV, and suggested that maybe the RMV people had taken the old ones off "as a service to me." He actually told me that I had to go back to the RMV and ask if they had taken my plates before I could make a police report.

So, since I had nothing better to do with my time that day, I dutifully drove back to the RMV lot, and asked the policeman patrolling the lot if he was the one who had taken my plates. Then I explained why I was asking such a stupid question. Then I went to the police station and filled out a report.

I never heard anything about it, but I also never got called up because someone spotted "my" car at a bank robbery or something. Win, I guess.