The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Mosier Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
SDMB Shadowrun Campaign chapter 2: Golden Rule - players only!

This thread is for in-character posts from the Shadowrun RPG campaign which started here. The players are:

Hoopy Frood as Goethe - Ork Shadowrunner
Mahaloth as Seneth - Human Shadowrunner and magician
Jules Andre as Donovan - Human former Synthcorp company man turned rogue
Autolycus as Nail - Human magical Adept Shadowrunner
AClockworkMelon - character to be introduced soon

Notable NPCs

Chaggo - Ork Adept, former Synthcorp agent now working with the group against his former bosses

McManus - Goethe's mentor, who disappeared under suspicious circumstances and left a cryptic note for Goethe.

"Kirk" - Elf technomancer, formerly part of the crew. She was with McManus when he disappeared. Her drone with almost-human intelligence, Darwin, is searching for her.

Mr. Johnson - Enigmatic Synthcorp CEO with a ruthless streak.

This thread is for players making in-character posts only. If you would like to comment on the progress of this campaign, please post here.

When we last saw the crew, they had been hired to rescue a kidnapped Synthcorp scientist named Arry. Chaggo led the crew to his hideout, where Donovan finally revealed his motivation for betraying Synthcorp, murdering Arry in cold blood. Chaggo showed the group the motivation for his own betrayal of Synthcorp with a dramatic recording made by a dying man.

Seneth has cryptically revealed that he is quite eager to destroy Synthcorp, while Nail and Goethe have agreed to double-cross the corporation for their own reasons - mostly to save their own skin, and get paid.

Chaggo has arranged a meeting for the group with Synthcorp's biggest rival, a corporation called Universal Omnitech.


The opening post for chapter 2 of the Shadowrun campaign will be posted here in this thread on or around 9:00 PM, PST, in approximately 5 1/2 hours. The crew is in for a much bigger challenge, with much greater potential rewards!

Welcome back to the New World, chums. It ain't pretty, but it's home.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 04-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Mosier Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
The cigarette drooping loosely from Nail's lips has burned nearly to the filter. Its smoke curls up toward the dimly lit ceiling, where it's lost among the smoke from hundreds of other down-and-out gamblers. Nail feels along the hidden surface of the mahjong tiles as he picks his piece.

"Hands off," an ancient-looking Chinese human playing with him scolds. He knows Nail was trying to cheat, by using texture clues on the hidden face of the tiles.

"I'm just rubbing for luck, asshole," Nail responds. "The tiles are smooth, anyway." Nevertheless, Nail stops rubbing the tiles, and picks one at random. "Damn," he mutters.

A familiar ork pulls a seat up to the table.

"I'm busy," Nail says.

"It's time," Chaggo replies. "It's now or never. You in?"

"I'm in a game," Nail says.

"Last chance. I'm walking out of here with or without you."

Nail sizes Chaggo up for what seems like the hundredth time since the two met. He is really beginning to hate that damn ork. Nail is overcome with the urge to beat the smug expression off Chaggo's face, but his better judgment eventually overcome the alcohol and nicotine ridden compulsion.

"Fine," Nail says, and suddenly stands from the table. The three other players begin to protest, and Nail interrupts them. "Shut up," he says. He tosses his wager on the table, clearly forfeiting it. "Don't spend it all in one place."

Chaggo smirks. "I don't remember you being so grumpy," he says.

"You can shut up too," Nail says. "Let's go."

-

Chaggo, Nail, Donovan, Goethe, Seneth, and a middle-aged man are sitting in the back of a limousine, with plenty of room between them. Seneth looks particularly uncomfortable as the automated drone butler offers refreshments to the group, but he doesn't protest.

"As you may have guessed, I represent Universal Omnitech in the Pacific Northwest region. My name is Arthur Walken. Frankly, I thought our arrangement with Chaggo would never bear fruit, but recently I have been made aware of a change in the variables." The man smiles, clearly amused by his own choice of words. He has not bothered to dye his salt-and-pepper gray hair, and wears his business suit with relaxed casualness. He seems completely comfortable with the excessive luxury of the limousine.

"It's no secret we want Synthcorp out of the picture. It's a business decision, nothing personal. Universal Omnitech is the premier provider of cyberware and bioware in this region, but it's a tenuous position on the top. We are prepared to pay quite handsomely for a Runner crew to help us ensure we stay there. I believe you are that crew, due to your unique position. Synthcorp is expecting you, and will not question you. You can enter through their Security without trouble, and help us secure a platform for our operation.

Here is what I am prepared to offer. Twenty thousand to each of you as an advanced payment. In return, you infiltrate Synthcorp and insert a virus into their security mainframe. That virus will trick the security protocols into allowing our agents access to Synthcorp headquarters. Once our agents are inside, you will assist our assault on the building, with the goal of preventing Johnson's escape. Once Johnson is captured, you'll receive the rest of your payment, sixty thousand credits each. That price is much higher than Synthcorp's initial offer to you, from what I understand."

The man smiles at each of you in turn, clearly convinced he has made an offer you can't refuse. "So what do you say, gentlemen? Do we have a deal?"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Upon hearing the offer, Goethe realizes it's not open to negotiation. No one who's offering 80 large per runner is expecting no for an answer. Hell, no one's ever offered 80 large each in any contract Goethe's ever taken. Goethe almost accepts the deal flat out on impulse, but just as he is about to agree to the deal, the paranoid side of him takes over and reminds him that he's dealing with corporate politics on a level beyond simple mercenary work. Realizing he's a bit out of his element, he looks to Donovan and Chaggo with a raise of his eyebrows. This is their world and it's their place to negotiate.

But even with the job being risky and involved, he's curious as to how this job will turn out on the earned value spreadsheet of UO. 400 large is quite an investment. Is synthcorp really that much of a threat? Or is UO just trying to get his team on the hook for yet another job that isn't what it seem, essentially trading a devil they know for one they don't?

But really, what choice is there? Synthcorp is going to come after them eventually. Better to get paid for taking them down than having to take them down anyway just to live.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 22,138
Seneth hates computer viruses.

Or it would if he had any idea what a virus is in relation to machines. Seneth does not care one bit about UO vs Synth or any of that nonsense, however one aspect of the run interests him, so he leans forward.

Seneth says in a monotone voice, "And.....what will you do with Mr. Johnson when we bring him to you?"

Seneth does not care about the money either and does not plan to negotiate.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Mosier Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Walken takes a deep breath and sighs before answering Seneth's question.

"I saw the same video you did. That little stunt earned Johnson lots of enemies. Assuming Johnson doesn't die resisting our assault, I plan to turn him over to the Chinook nation for prosecution. It's a good deal; the Natives help us in the assault, and we give them number 1 on their most wanted list.

Of course, that will go a lot more smoothly if we can find a way to remove that ICe on the data chip, and get at the supposed evidence underneath. Not our problem, though. Personally, I don't care what happens to Johnson, as long as he's in no position to challenge Uni Om."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 22,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosier View Post
"I saw the same video you did. That little stunt earned Johnson lots of enemies. Assuming Johnson doesn't die resisting our assault, I plan to turn him over to the Chinook nation for prosecution. It's a good deal; the Natives help us in the assault, and we give them number 1 on their most wanted list.
"Oh, that video. Indeed. That is why I wish to learn who this Mr. Johnson really is."

Seneth lowers his head slowly, nodding agreement to the suggested outcome for Mr. Johnson. Then he sighs, and sits back, and grows quiet again.

However, he continues thinking. "Video?" Seneth thinks. "What...video? This child speaks nonsense. And what exactly is a video in the first place?"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Autolycus Autolycus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ainran
Posts: 11,449
Nail doesn't like it one bit. This plot is thickening worse than day-old gravy. Nail thinks to himself it's been a while since he has liked one of his runs. But what choice does he have? Not only does he need the money for the usual reasons, but backing out now would just paint a bullseye on his head. What a mess. Still, at least there a buncha clams in this dangerous paella. Come out in one piece and maybe we can enjoy them.

He smokes a cigarette and plops himself down lazily, spreading out in a gangly heap, enjoying the space the limp provides. As he has nothing productive to say, he is silent.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Mosier Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Arthur seems pleased by the reaction from the group. He lazily sips a martini as he continues.

"So, first things first. Synthcorp has tightened the ship since your first meeting with them. They have a mage working for them now, who I understand is quite powerful. His name is Vayne Stensen. After the fiasco with Chaggo, Johnson hired Vayne to interrogate literally everyone below Vice President level. If you try to schedule a meeting on the pretense that you have fulfilled your contract, he will certainly use magic to determine if you are lying before giving you access to the building.

Our man on the inside hasn't been interrogated yet, but it's only a matter of time. We have a list of the standard questions Vayne is asking all of the Synthcorp employees, but we haven't yet found a way for him to use the literal truth without exposing himself. There are only two questions; 'Are you now, or do you ever, intend to take actions which would be considered treacherous by the leadership of Synthcorp?' and 'Are you currently employed, or seeking employment, by a Synthcorp rival without knowledge of Synthcorp executives?'

We know everything about this Vayne character, where he sleeps, where he parties, where he likes to eat, what kind of women he likes - literally everything. The way I see it, you can either try to answer his questions to his satisfaction without telling a literal lie, or take Vayne out of the picture. If you have a better idea, I'm all ears."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
"So we can't tell a literal lie. Meh. I'm a lousy liar anyway. As far as to how we can answer his questions to his satisfaction, I have no idea. I'm about as subtle as a sledgehammer when it comes to things like that, so if one of you want to try to convince the mage, more power to you.

"Personally, I say we take him out of the picture, but if any of you have a better plan, I'm all ears."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 22,138
Seneth to the group:

"Ah, Vayne. It sounds vaguely familiar to me. We must destroy him as our first order of business. Tell us how to reach him and when he is most likely to be alone."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Mosier Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Seneth to the group:

"Ah, Vayne. It sounds vaguely familiar to me. We must destroy him as our first order of business. Tell us how to reach him and when he is most likely to be alone."
Arthur shakes his finger, playfully scolding Senth. "Don't be so hasty! First, you'll meet Uni Om's representative in this mission. You didn't think we would just turn you loose without any oversight, did you?"

Less than five minutes later, the limousine comes to a stop outside a dingy, worn-down motel. Junkies in various states of consciousness are scattered all about, some with needles still in hand. One man is partially obscured behind a bush, wearing virtual reality sim-sense goggles and masturbating noisily.

Chaggo turns questioningly to Arthur. "A Universal Omnitech agent lives here?"

Arthur nods. "I don't understand it, myself. The man could live wherever he wants, and purposely chose to surround himself with the worst, most pathetic examples of metahumanity in the city. Enough chit-chat, though. We're on a schedule. He's on the 4th floor, room 50. He's expecting you, so just walk in. We'll catch up later."

A chauffeur exits from the passenger side of the limousine and opens the back door from the outside, clearly indicating that the group is to leave. Seneth, Donny, Chaggo, Goethe, and Nail exit the vehicle, and soon afterward the out-of-place limousine drives away.

"Well, gentlemen," Chaggo says. "Let's go meet the help."

The inside of the building is even more decrepit than the outside. Puddles of vomit and urine are in most of the corners, a few of which have people sleeping in them. When they reach the 4th floor, an elf woman shoves past them into the elevator. Her clothes are torn, and a filthy bandage covers a wound in her abdomen.

"What are you creeps looking at?" she says angrily. Then immediately her demeanor changes, and she pouts her lips. "You like what you see, boys? I don't normally do parties, but if the price is right..."

The doors close without the elf getting a response. The group moves ahead to room 50. A four-feet tall number "9" is carved crudely into the door.

Chaggo says to the others, "Arthur said to just walk in. Anyone getting second thoughts?"

Last edited by Mosier; 04-30-2012 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Autolycus Autolycus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ainran
Posts: 11,449
Nail comments quickly in between Kirk and Seneth's remarks regarding Vayne: "Don't see any way around it."

Now, at the door: "Let's just get this over with," Nail grumps and barges in.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 PM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
The door opens into near total darkness. A pair of fat cockroaches scuttle away from the light as it pours into the room, illuminating its contents: A ratty, partially-disintegrated couch and matching pair of armchairs are in a disorganized pile in the center of the room. Along the left wall is a stack of black duffel bags, all zipped-up and ready to go. The only light comes from the kitchen on the far side of the room.

At the rickety plastic table sits a hulking figure perched atop a folding chair, wearing heavy denim jeans and nothing else. His upper body is entirely cybernetic, grey, latex-like synthetic skin stretched taut over a metal torso, skull and left arm. His right arm is housed in a transparent plasteel case, its interior brimming with robotics all illuminated by a soft blue light. The number 450902603 is printed down his left arm.

A pair of mechanical, steel-grey eyes with bright red rings for irises are fixed on the half-assembled grenade in the cyborg's hands. He calmly attends to the explosive, not sparing the group a look as he works. A highly-modified and clearly oversized revolver rests on the table beside a pile of shells, pins and other grenade parts.

He doesn't care enough to bother activating his implanted ultrasound emmitter or scanner. Instead he keeps his focus on the bomb in his hands. "Can I help you?" His deep voice sounds synthesized.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
"Possibly. It seems we work for the same people, at least temporarily. Though, I must admit I wasn't expecting a vatjob, though, it goes a bit towards explaining the company you keep. Easy to keep people from bugging you when you live in a place they don't want to visit.

"But anyway, we're going after Vayne, and Uni Om has said that you are going to be their eyes on that assignment. Hey, the more the merrier when it doesn't cost me anything. But let's get one thing straight, we work for you only in the sense that your corp is paying us. As far as the job goes, we work with you, and you work with us. Everybody has an equal voice and all ideas as to how approach a job will be treated with equal consideration. If you can live with that, we'll all get along just fine."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Autolycus Autolycus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ainran
Posts: 11,449
Nail is taken aback temporarily by the cyborg's imposing presence. Undeterred, he raises his hand to scratch his head in a symbol of non-aggression. He walks forward as if to say something, when Goethe boldy speaks out. His posture frozen for a few seconds, Nail steps back a bit, sighs softly, relaxes, and lights a cigarette.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-01-2012, 03:01 AM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
The cyborg caps the grenade with a small iron band topped with a tiny light that begins blinking as it's pushed into place. Satisfied, its maker sets it down and rises, turning his torso to face his guests, his head following a moment later. The red rings on his eyes shrink as their owner reduces their magnification and lets the five newcomers shift into focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goethe
Though, I must admit I wasn't expecting a vatjob, though, it goes a bit towards explaining the company you keep.
"Reminds me what I'm fighting for."

As Goethe continues the cyborg walks behind the kitchen counter and bends over, returning to view a moment later with a sleeveless shirt, originally white but stained greyish brown. He crouches to pull on a pair of heavy boots before making his way back to the kitchen table and taking the revolver in hand and strapping it to his thigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goethe
But let's get one thing straight, we work for you only in the sense that your corp is paying us.
"You don't work for me in any sense." He walks to the duffel bags, bending at the waist to lift two by the straps, slinging each over a shoulder. He makes his way towards the group, stopping at the pile of decaying furniture to retrieve a heavy tactical shotgun hidden on its far side. "I'm just the insurance."

He sizes the party up. "Vayne won't be a problem. The spellfairy's a slave to his flesh. Spends most of his time up to his nose in cram and balls-deep in whores in a cesspit called the Dog Track. He's about to have the worst day of his life."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Autolycus Autolycus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ainran
Posts: 11,449
Nail likes the sound of an easy mark, the easy part more than the mark part: "Are you saying we can just go in and toast this guy?" he replies, slightly skeptical, slightly enthusiastic.

Last edited by Autolycus; 05-01-2012 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
The tank of a man appraises Nail, each of his cybereyes changing to different levels of magnification. "He'll have guards. But they're only human."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
"For the record, I like you. If only all corp guys were as up front and lacking in the bullshit as you are. Name's Goethe, by the way. I'll let the others introduce themselves.

"So assume we remove Vayne as an obstacle, where do we go from there? I'd think Synthcorp is going to be missing him pretty quick. I mean, I suppose we could forge communications from him that we're on the level, but we'd have to know exactly how he sends his results to Synthcorp."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Autolycus Autolycus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ainran
Posts: 11,449
"There's always a catch," Nail grumbles while sitting on a chair he found, his elbows on the back, his hands lighting another cigarette.

Last edited by Autolycus; 05-01-2012 at 09:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:14 PM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goethe
So assume we remove Vayne as an obstacle, where do we go from there?
"Once Vayne is dead I'm storming Synthcorp. I don't know why we're bothering with the mage in the first place, but Universal Omnitech considers him a high-priority target and that's good enough for me."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Mosier Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chaggo to the group; "If we take out Vayne, they won't have anyone to mind-rape us in the building. Synthcorp won't necessarily suspect us. We need to get inside before the UO assault, to plant that virus. Otherwise it's just a frontal assault likely to fail. We start on the inside, and we can't get inside with Vayne in the picture."
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:51 PM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosier View Post
Chaggo to the group; "If we take out Vayne, they won't have anyone to mind-rape us in the building. Synthcorp won't necessarily suspect us. We need to get inside before the UO assault, to plant that virus. Otherwise it's just a frontal assault likely to fail. We start on the inside, and we can't get inside with Vayne in the picture."
"Enough jawbonin'. A plan's just a list of things that'll go wrong. Let's go."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 22,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
"Enough jawbonin'. A plan's just a list of things that'll go wrong. Let's go."
"Agreed. We are powerful enough to handle him."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Well, if we're all decided, let's get this done. The clock is ticking.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Mosier Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
I'm waiting for some PM confirmations, and then the group will pay a friendly visit to Vayne at the Dog Track gentleman's club. Expect the next update in approximately 4 hours.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 AM
Mosier Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
A few hours later, the group is standing outside the Dog Track club. A long line of people is waiting outside the building, with three burly looking guards standing outside. Two of the bouncers are trolls which seem even bigger than normal for their race. The third is an ork who seems hyper-alert. Goethe notices a bulge in the ork's jacket that appears to be concealing a pistol. All three bouncers are wearing dark casual suits with reinforced armor jackets.

"No way they just let us through," Chaggo says to the group. "That line is a hundred people deep."
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 AM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Besides a grunt in response to Chaggo's observation, the cybernetic man doesn't pause to survey the situation or discuss it over with his new companions, instead immediately making his way around the back of the club.

Once at a side offering at least some small measure of privacy (if he can't find such a location, fuck it, he does it in plain sight of any lingering clubbers) he lets his duffel bags fall to the ground where he crouches between them, unzipping them both simultaneously. He emerges with two aerosol cans and approaches the exterior wall of the building. The cans are filled with a thick, creamy paste with which he outlines a square about six feet by six feet, discarding the spent cans afterwards. To those with demolitions expertise this is obviously explosive foam.

Returning to the duffel bags he pulls from one a small radio receiver and from the other a small grey latex mask with attached air filters. He sinks the receiver into the foam with one hand and positions the mask on his head with the other, ready to be pulled down over his face. He retrieves a pair of gas grenades from his bags before zipping them up and tossing them aside for now.

He has his shotgun in his right hand and his grenades in his left. To those that may have followed him it's fairly obvious what's about to happen if he is not interrupted.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 AM
Autolycus Autolycus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ainran
Posts: 11,449
Back at the apartment, in response to Goethe, while getting up from his chair: "Sounds good to me."

Now at the club, Nail follows the cyborg. Seeing what's going on, he quips: "Where were you when I was into the club scene?"
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 22,138
"I didn't even know machine-men shaved," Seneth says looking at the foam.

"you got a name, machine-man? I'm calling you Mr. Machine otherwise."
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
you got a name, machine-man? I'm calling you Mr. Machine otherwise.
The cyborg talks as he sets the explosive foam, not looking over, his voice monotone: "Identification number 450902603."
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Mosier Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chaggo sees the man known only by his identification number walk around the north corner of the building. It doesn't take a genius to see he's up to something. The ork bouncer is eyeing 4509 suspiciously as he rounds the corner, and reaches for a transmit button, presumably to alert the other bouncers about the suspicious cyborg.

"Well, shit," Chaggo mutters. Immediately he sets in motion. He suddenly leaps at an elf man waiting in line. Chaggo yanks the man out of the line and shouts with mock-anger, "You'll never get away with it, slime ball!"

"Get your filthy hands off me, peasant!" the young-ish elf says, and tries to physically shove Chaggo off him. Chaggo is too strong, and his grip holds. He turns his waist, and with a lightning fast flick of his wrist, the elf slams to the ground.

Donovan sees Chaggo's distraction, and runs to help. As the two troll bouncers converge on Chaggo, Donovan slams his body into one of them. Donovan's tiny (in comparison) body bounces off the mountain of metahumanity. The (literal!) bouncer turns to the new threat, and holds Donovan by the collar of his jacket, lifting him off the ground. "Puny man, you crazy?" The troll says.

Donovan lashes at the troll's face with a sudden surprising vicious punch, as the second troll reaches Chaggo. The rest of the group rounds the corner to the Dog Track's service alleyway without incident.

Donovan and Chaggo have distracted the club security, buying 4509, Nail, Goethe, and Seneth time to reach the alley without being accosted. 4509 has spread explosive foam over a section of the wall, and is apparently prepared to detonate it. If he does, the group will enter combat with a surprise initiative pass.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 22,138
"Identification number 450902603, don't make that foam stuff explode! Wait!"
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-03-2012, 07:16 PM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Ignoring Seneth, 4509 turns and crouches, pulling the pin from one of the gas canisters and detonating the explosive foam with a thought, unconcerned with the safety of the others in the alley.

Once the explosives have been set off he'll activate his ultrasound emitter, weapon/cybernetics scanner and chuck the armed gas grenade into whatever hole is (hopefully) made in the side of the club. Then he'll shake the mask over his face and try to enter with his shotty, opening fire on anything that gets in his way, not being particularly discriminant in doing so.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Goethe to the newcomer:

"Remember, we're here for one specific reason only. Most of the people here have nothing to do with this. Your shotgun alone should be more than enough to scare them away. Besides, I got your back."

Goethe pulls out his heavy pistol.

"You know, the next time you plan on going in with the heavy and noticeable firepower, it'd be nice to let the rest of us know. I would have brought something heavier. Just try not to kill anyone who doesn't oppose you, eh? We're here for one guy."
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Autolycus Autolycus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ainran
Posts: 11,449
Before the bombs go off, to Seneth: "He's a few chips short of an emotion circuit. Now get back!" he says while pulling him away from the foam.

After the explosion, Nail speaks after Goethe. "Yeah, as much fun as carnage can be, let's try to keep it to a minimum." Nail is doubtful the cyborg is listening.

In the surprise round, Nail will observe before acting. He would rush in and attempt to physically disable the target, but he is certainly not getting in the path of T-1000 here.

Last edited by Autolycus; 05-03-2012 at 11:34 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-04-2012, 02:39 AM
Mosier Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
The expertly-applied explosive gel "pops" underwhelmingly a moment before the alleyway is rocked by a powerful wave of concussive force. The wall crumbles in a wrecked area approximately 7 feet tall by 5 feet wide.

Before the dust settles, 4509's grenade rolls lazily through the wreckage. The terrified screams of the partiers inside is enough to overwhelm the loud techno dance music blaring from the club speakers, but the screaming begins to turn into choking gasps as the tear gas grenade releases it's poison.

4509 calmly steps through the destruction and briefly surveys the carnage. The vermin are fleeing before his terrifying image, except one human bouncer who has managed to keep his wits. The man draws and fires his light pistol blindly toward the dusty wreckage before the gas overwhelms him, scoring a hit that strikes directly in the cyborg's chest. The bullet richochets harmlessly off the cybernetic torso, doing little more than scuffing the synthetic skin-colored material covering it.

4509 fires two shots from his semi-automatic shotgun in response. Both shots strike true, forcefully knocking the man backward off his feet, where he disappears among a herd of panicking people attempting to flee through the exit.

4509 glances upward, to a stairway leading to the private VIP rooms on the 2nd floor. Anyone inside would surely have heard the commotion downstairs. The first floor has an area affected by tear gas, which the other group members may be affected by if they run through without protection. There is no other obvious resistance on the first floor.

Time is short! Emergency response crews will be at the club in less than two minutes, at which point the group's plan will be seriously threatened.

A sense of foreboding strikes Nail as he watches the heartless machine execute the bouncer. "You're in the big leagues now," his subconscious tells him woefully. "From here on, the big dogs eat the little ones."
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 AM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
4509 ignores anyone fleeing or incapacitated by the gas, letting them live. When able he'll arm and toss his remaining gas grenade up the stairs towards the VIP section before heading up himself. If there's time on the way up he'll replace his spent shells. Like before, he attempts to kill anything that offers resistance. If seriously damaged he'll try to fall back to the alley.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 22,138
Unless we are positive of Vayne's location, Seneth will cast:

Detect enemies

Or/and

Detect magic


On the first floor area and toward the VIP rooms.

If any enemies are on floor 1, he will cast his "confuse area" spell if he can avoid allies.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Mosier Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Detect enemies will not work, as Vayne doesn't even know you exist, let alone have any specific ill-intent toward you. Will Seneth proceed casting detect enemies anyway?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 22,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosier View Post
Detect enemies will not work, as Vayne doesn't even know you exist, let alone have any specific ill-intent toward you. Will Seneth proceed casting detect enemies anyway?
If it only costs minor drain and we are not in battle mode....he actually will cast it anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Mosier Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
4509 tosses a gas grenade up to the 2nd floor, intending to poison the hallway leading to the VIP rooms with tear gas. The grenade richochets off an invisible barrier, bouncing back to the first floor. The grenade starts releasing more gas into the crowd on the first floor, which has started a full-blown stampede toward the exits.

Nail, Seneth, Goethe, and 4509 are all inside the club now. Seneth casts detect enemies, and resists the drain easily. He can not detect anyone within the spell's range who plans to do him harm, but one person nearby dislikes Seneth, and wishes he could simply dispose of him. It's a feeling more closely resembling contempt than hatred.

Seneth puts considerably more effort into his detect magic spell, and it shows. He suffers one point of stun damage due to the drain of casting, but his spell is quite successful and has a range large enough to cover the entire club. Seneth can clearly see a magically generated barrier* being sustained from inside the first VIP room on the 2nd floor. A fire spirit and earth spirit of superior strength are waiting within the barrier, bound to an individual who possesses magic power at least equivalent to Seneth's. Finally, Seneth can see a spell being sustained on an unknown person (not the magic user) who is also within the magical barrier. This final spell will greatly increase the target's combat ability. The group upstairs is ready for a fight, and in magical terms is quite alarmingly powerful!

*This type of magical barrier requires concentration to sustain. It will behave exactly as if it were extra "armor" for the targets inside, forcing bullets to expend energy to penetrate through it, in order to do damage. If enough damage is done to the barrier, it will collapse. It will prevent people from walking through one side to get to the other, and this works both ways! The targets inside will have their projectiles resisted by the barrier if they attempt to shoot out toward the group. Magic spells will not be affected by the barrier.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 22,138
Seneth to the group.

"Death.....quite.....likely. For one of you, anyway, my children. This is very, very serious and it is not likely we will all survive without proper planning. This Vayne is not equal to me, but he is strong....very strong. He has two spirits with him and has enhanced a fighting partner with him.

All of your 'weapons' will be blocked by a magic barrier, but my magic won't. If we engage, I will focus my magic on Vayne, as it isn't affected by the barrier. I will need protection, though, for I will need to focus on a powerful attack spell and will be quite vulnerable. I suggest Identification number 450902603 goes in front. He seems....sturdy.

Oh, and whatever one of you has against me, grow out of it now, my child. I assure you, I am the greatest ally you have ever had. Getting rid of me is like emptying your weapons of all their projectiles: idiotic."

:sigh:

Seneth thinks to himself, "Could this Vayne be from the olden days? No one but me exists from that time. Owl would have told me if this were not correct. He must, must, must be able to die...probably."

Last edited by Mahaloth; 05-04-2012 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 PM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
4509 stops midway up the stairs and turns his body towards Seneth as the mage talks, his head turning likewise a moment later. He rips free his mask and tosses it through the gas to Seneth. "Get your ass up here, then." He reloads his shotty while waiting for the elf, quite unaffected by the tear gas flooding the club.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Autolycus Autolycus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ainran
Posts: 11,449
Nail looks around and yawns, unfazed by the chaos surrounding him.  "I don't think our new friend Mr.45 here is exactly the planning type." He looks up towards the second floor and his demeanor changes sharply. His eyes narrow and his usually lackadaisical posture seems to jolt alert. "Now let's go before he hogs all the fun."

Mentally to himself, he has a moment of indecision that betrays his apparent calm. "Hope that gas doesn't take me out right here and now. Damn robot."
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-05-2012, 06:04 AM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Edit to my last post: *elf should be *human, don't know why I thought Seneth was an elf.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
Edit to my last post: *elf should be *human, don't know why I thought Seneth was an elf.

Probably because Kirk is, and Elves tend toward being mages.


As the crowd panics around him, Goethe takes in the situation with calm aplomb.

Club rats. Annoying but harmless. Nice thing about them is they typically don't try to be heroes in these situations. Which is good, because usually heroes result in not only getting themselves killed but others as well. I'd say it's a shame about the bouncer, but really, either he was too stupid to realize that firing a light pistol blindly into a crowd at an enemy you haven't seen yet is a bad idea, or that firing a light pistol at an obvious vatjob packing a shotty is a worse one. Either way, he paid for his idiocy with his life. The gene pool just got a little more chlorine added to it.

Of course, bringing gas grenades to an enclosed area without informing the rest of your crew that you are doing so, in order for them to take the proper precautions such as procuring some gas masks, isn't particularly genius either. I mean, sure one can close one's eyes and hold one's breath, but that kind of makes it difficult to do anything useful.


How far away are the vehicles? If not too far, Goethe will go back for his assault rifle, because he's not going to be able to do too much at the moment until the tear gas dissipates anyway, so he might as well prep himself for the inevitable firefight that will soon come. Or better yet, Geothe says to Nail:

"Hey, Nail. Since with the tear gas flooding the club and all kind of limiting our options here for now, would you mind, since you're faster than me, going back for my assault rifle. I have a feeling I'm going to need it soon, and the pistol just isn't going to cut it as well. I'll owe you one."
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 22,138
Seneth looks at the mask curiously.

"Someone must help me put this mask on. Also, does everyone else here have a mask? I will not go up there with only that machine-man."
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Mosier Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
How far away are the vehicles? If not too far, Goethe will go back for his assault rifle, because he's not going to be able to do too much at the moment until the tear gas dissipates anyway, so he might as well prep himself for the inevitable firefight that will soon come. Or better yet, Geothe says to Nail:
The vehicles are parked in the club lot, close by. Even so, going back for equipment will take valuable time that increases the risk emergency crews will show up before the task is complete. If the risk is worth it to Goethe, he'll miss out on all his initiative passes for the first two combat rounds, unless the group waits for him. Nail's speed advantage is not significant enough to reduce that penalty, but he may accept the penalty on Goethe's behalf, if he chooses to go back for the rifle.

The tear gas is contained to the first floor. The test for holding your breath and walking through the gas to get to the 2nd floor without suffering the effects of the gas will use your BOD + STR attributes, with a very low threshold for success (since you'll be spending very little time in the gas). Without exceptionally unlucky rolls, the group will almost certainly have no problem with the gas on the first floor. The tear gas will not dissipate enough to be safe before emergency crews arrive.

Last edited by Mosier; 05-05-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Well, in light of the clarification, Goethe will go through the gas and up the stairs with the cyborg and Seneth, protecting Seneth from harm.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.