The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gigch1 View Post
My training is a surplus Israeli gas mask and knowing which way the wind is blowing.
Take it from me -- you better pay really good attention which way the wind is blowing....
Advertisements  
Old 05-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! This ain't been too bad. Imagine! I was, amazingly, able to just update stuff. Then I had to print it out, scan it in as a pdf and email it to TPTB. However, it's done. YAY!!!!!! I think shortly I shall escape for the weekend. Pizza Hut is makin' dindin cause I don't wanna. So There!
Old 05-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Tugig, I work for DoD, so they go way over the top. Added to that, I work at a major military medical center, and we get bombarded with even more stupid stuff to be compliant with JCAHO, new major command requirements, and Congress.

So far, all I've managed to do is shower. I was sitting here earlier and became really, really tired and dizzy, so I went and had a couple hour lie down. I feel better now, but I've lost half the day and I'm irritated.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gigch1 View Post
Jesus. I'm a news photographer in Washington DC. I am more likely to be around this stuff than most. Training? What is that?

My training is a surplus Israeli gas mask and knowing which way the wind is blowing.
Then you haven't learned the Rule Of Thumb For HAZMAT. If you put your thumb at arm's length in front of your face, and your thumb cannot cover the entire scene, then you're too fucking close.

Fred'burg didn't happen, and my heart is absolutely broken. Of course, I luuuuuuuurves to be the chauffeur when she goes on her monthly shopping safaris. Mooooooom, the big draw is a combination of Dome Hepot where we buy Odo-Ban for the critters, and a burger joint called Steak And Shake. I dealt with my sadness over not going with a celebratory afternoon nap.

Last edited by VunderBob; 05-04-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyrose View Post
Cats.
Yup. God made cats so humans would have something to hassle.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

My daughter loves Steak-n-Shake - she used to work at one in Orlando. Maybe they'll put one in California next to the soon-to-be Cracker Barrel, then you'll be spared the long trek across state lines. Plus that's a long-ass drive just for a freekin' burger!! Close to 80 miles one way?

FCD came home early since he's got to leave on Sunday for 3 days in Johnstown, PA. So I'll be without adult supervision the first part of next week. Anyway, we went to the dump, stopped at 5 Guys so he could get a late lunch, then when we got back home, I gave the truck a quick bath - rinsed the big chunks of crud off. I'm about to go take the laundry off the lines, then hit the shower. The rest of the day will be for vegging. Yard work tomorrow, weather permitting.

I's tahred!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
My daughter loves Steak-n-Shake - she used to work at one in Orlando. Maybe they'll put one in California next to the soon-to-be Cracker Barrel, then you'll be spared the long trek across state lines. Plus that's a long-ass drive just for a freekin' burger!! Close to 80 miles one way?
Home to Fred'burg is about the same as Cottonfield County to VA Beach, so we're kinda used to it.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

You may be used to it, but that doesn't make it any less insane!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:00 PM

Night Audit Lady came by work today! Everyone came out to see her! She looks good, much better than the last time I saw her (the day before she went in the hospital). She's quitting smoking under threat of beatings via belts* and wet noodles** and dying if she doesn't. She's taking it easy and not overdoing it, too. Good on her.

I dropped Culinary Boy's stuff off with Computer Boy today. I also talked with a social worker at the VA about Culinary Boy's downward slide. I think Computer Boy did too, but I didn't ask because he was telling me about his dastardly scheme to bring down his boss who doesn't pay him anything like what he should be getting and treats Computer Boy like his personal bitch. There is evil afoot up the road.

*per Inspector Bruce
**per me
Old 05-04-2012, 06:02 PM

Been trying to find a job. I should be the ideal candidate: I'm good with people, even the pissy ones, I'm good with a computer a register and heavy lifting. I do NOT want to make a lot of money. Making too much money will interfere with my financial aid.

All I want is a job that pays enough between now and September to pay for 17 credits worth of science and math textbooks, and a weekend/holiday only job during non vacation times. I had to take the "50 stupid questions" test for JC Penney and according to my results, I'm not the kind of person they're looking for. I suspect that their computer can't handle a person who prefers to be alone but enjoys meeting new people and does well in groups.

I had to answer 50 questions for Big Y also but they weren't stupid. I'd actually like to work for Big Y or Shaw's (cashier at Shaw's was actually my first non-babysitting job) and they're both hiring. Big Y is well known for very flexible schedules.

I was checking all the area theaters for a show my best friend might like for her birthday. There were a few but I think I'll just get her a spa gift certificate. She seems to like those.

However, in my searches I did find the absolute most perfect mother's day pressie ever. The Hartford Symphony Hall is doing Carmina Burana at the end of May and beginning of June. My opera loving sister has wanted to see this live for about 30 years now (and she's only 34). I asked if she wanted to go and her answer was something along the lines of "holy shit YES!!!"

So, my mother's present from me will be a girl's night out at the opera and her gift from my sister will be said sister driving 300 miles each way to join us for the night! She's gonna love it. Too bad my other sister can't get here from VA but she'll be here in July so I'm not too broken up about it.

My cold is finally going away. I feel mostly good but a bit sinusy still. I picked up my cap and gown yesterday. I don't even much want to do the whole graduation thing but it's important to my mom so I'm doing it. At least it'll give me something to do. I'm wicked bored.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Pizza has been consumed. Life is good.

Spaz yay for NAL bein' back at work and good luck to her quittin' smokin'. It's tough. Been there. Done that.

Steak 'n Shake is ok. We eat there sometimes after deheathenization but I wouldn 't make a special trip.

Yay for your cold goin' away shortdrum. Good luck on the job hunt.

That is all for now.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
Spaz yay for NAL bein' back at work and good luck to her quittin' smokin'. It's tough. Been there. Done that..
She's not working yet. No one will let her work until she's completely cleared by the doctors. Risk of relapse and death and all that. And when she does come back to work we will all be watching her like hawks. First time she coughs and there will be twenty-seven people plus six sheriff's deputies surrounding her. (The deputies do our security at night. They all like NAL.)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
But May is National Hamburger Month!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

I get the weekend of!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:31 AM
ReMember

Got a little surprise today and had to fill in on a Teen Drinking shoot with Andrea McCarren here at the station - her usual shooter was ill. The plan was to hit 3 local hotels with a pair of underage girls to see if room service would card them. However, before we headed for that officers got a tip about a bunch of teens in some woods partying at 5pm. So we drove off to see if we could get that on camera and we struck gold - one 18 yr old guy and a bunch of 14 - 16 yr old girls drinking rum & beer in the woods. Children were detained, tickets written, parents called, photog accosted by pissed off daddy - good tv was had by all.

The hotel stings went well too: the first totally didn't card, the second wasn't sure and went to ask management a question - however she left the wine in the room so that was a fail, the third carded properly.

Now I'm home listening to a call on the scanner where four or more teens in a car wrapped it around a tree up in Pasadena, MD. Double flyout to trauma, 2+ more by ground, likely ETOH.

So that's why we're doing the stories...
Old 05-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Charter Member

Howdy all, and welcome to the weekend - whee! Of course, to a retired geezer like me, everyday is the weekend.

Belated hugs of support to you, Spaz , and hang in there, things will get better.

2Gig, glad to hear that your shoots went so well - I remember Andrea, although channel 9 wasn't my usual channel to watch for news (lol that was News4!). I have discovered something a bit unusual, though - it seems that many stations around the country use the same music for their station news teams! It's like there is a playlist for tv news or something, I tell you, honestly. The tune that they play for Channel 9 in the DC area is the same one they play at one of the stations here in Albuquerque!

Tonight was the last episode of "In Plain Sight," the USA Network show that had filmed here in Albuquerque. "Breaking Bad" is still filming, although it's their last season as well. That will leave Albuquerque without any tv shows filming here, although there are still many movies who film in New Mexico (the new Lone Ranger film with Johnny Depp as Tonto is filming here, in the Four Corners area most recently I think). I've never seen any of the shoots, though, except for coverage of them on the local news! LOL

Hope everyone will enjoy their weekend.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffienatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 68 Amurrkin out with a predicted high of 92 for the day. Tomorrow, we are again promised rain. We shall see. Anywho, today is yahd irk day. Both yahd's need to be mowed really bad. Thus we shall mow, edge, etc here at da cave and then go to OYKW's place and do the same. Then it's purtification and N.O.L. at the not too shabby Chinese hog trough buffet cause OYKW has a gnawin' and a cravin'. Hey he's payin' so I don't complain.

Plus, burly butcher bacon/cheese burgers and fries for dindin. YUM!!!

Now I need more caffiene and must forage for brekkie.

Laterz!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbutler View Post
The weekend of what?
Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazCat View Post
The weekend of what?
I was so excited I lost an "f"

I'm up, caffeinated, and not at work. Going out to party with the hockey tailgate people.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I was so excited I lost an "f"
I'd help you out, but, frankly, I don't give an "f"

And yes, I am calling you Frankly

This has been today's subliminal cinematic message.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The weekend of what?
Dammit I was going to say that!

Up and eating brekkie with a load of laundry started. Today is clean out the fridge and wipe down the shelves day before I go grocery shopping. And that is about it. Then this afternoon I will work on the last couple of Greencard forms.

Supper will be steaks and something just not sure what the something is yet.

Happy weekend!

Happy Cinco de Mayo to those that need an excuse to drink beer on a Saturday
Old 05-05-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm the *Cute* one. =^.^=

Quote:
Quote:
The weekend of what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ems View Post
Dammit I was going to say that!
yeah :/ me, too. That's what I get for going to bed at a reasonable hour.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Drink? Me? Never!*

*unless the day of the week ends with a "y"
Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Who needs an excuse?

Which reminds me of an old joke -- A pollster approches 4 different people - an American, a Russian, an Ethiopian and an Israeli - with the same question: "Excuse me, what is your opinion on the shortage of meat?"

American answers: Excuse me, what is a "shortage?"
Russian answers: Excuse me, what is an "opinion?"
Ethiopean answers: Excuse me, what is "meat?"
Israeli answers: Dude, what's "excuse me?"
Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
*unless the day of the week ends with a "y"
One must admire such self restraint.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

My guess is that doggio gets a weekend of doin' liver damage.

Yahd irk is done. We purtified and bellied up to the hog trough buffet. Now we're at da cave all full and relaxated. OYKW has gone in for a snooze. I do believe I shall join him.

Laterz!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Yay for 3-day weekends! So far I got up late, watched two episodes of a Swedish/Danish collaboration called "The Bridge" and have been into town to run errands. I've also just done half an hour on the Wii and am running a bath. 'im indoors is cooking ribs for dinner and one of the cats is currently absorbing the smell from the oven. Ophelia is sound asleep on her radiator hammock and couldn't care less about bbq ribs...

Tonight we will be singing 'cos "we're all going to the zoo tomorrow"! Our local zoo is celebrating it's 75th birthday and has been giving away discount entry vouchers on farcebook for tomorrow to help celebrate the opening of the new penguin bay. They have a very successful breeding programme with Humboldt penguins and if they want us to visit for half-price, well it would be rude not to, right?

My other weekend plans involve planting some potatoes, potting some more seedlings, making cocktails and planning our September trip to LA and San Francisco. So far we have booked flights, and that is the extent of it. Where to stay, where to visit and what to do will be next on the list.

Bath is run...I am off for a soak!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:15 PM

Well, today sucked. Everyone's fine. http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4e33a-6031-fb9f.jpg
Old 05-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Well, today sucked. Everyone's fine. http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4e33a-6031-fb9f.jpg
Ouch, glad you're all OK, Soapy.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Ouch.

Yeah, what Doggio said....

How did this happen?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Yikes. I'm glad everyone's okay. Not only how did that happen, but where did it happen? Because I know a great mechanic on Long Island
Old 05-05-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Greetings! And OWIE, Soapy!! Glad everyone is OK.

I spent about 3 hours mucking in the yard, and you can hardly tell I did anything. But I know, and that's what counts. No reason to rush - I just do what I can.

FCD leaves tomorrow afternoon for Johnstown and he probably won't get home till Thursday - and me without adult supervision.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Yikes Soapy! Glad everyone's ok.

I here ya MOOOOOOM. I know what was done in the yahd even if no one else does.

I had a nappy poo but still feel sleepified.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Yikes. I'm glad everyone's okay. Not only how did that happen, but where did it happen? Because I know a great mechanic on Long Island
Hubby has driven 10,000+ miles this year on and off LI. He dives routinely into Manhatten, weekly.

The accident happened 1 mile fom our home, here in CT.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Hubby has driven 10,000+ miles this year on and off LI. He dives routinely into Manhatten, weekly.

The accident happened 1 mile fom our home, here in CT.
Yeah, I heard most accidents happen within a few miles of the home... so I moved

Glad everyone's OK.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

It's overcast and feel like rain. I'm doing a little laundry so my sweetie can pack tomorrow for his trip.

After working my butt off this morning, I'm enjoying some sloth. Sloth is good sometimes.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Whoa, Soapy! Glad eveyrone's OK.

Have spent the day cleaning out the home office since the electrician will need to do some work in there on Monday. Also, it's bulk trash pick-up week in my neighborhood, so it's a good time for general cleaning up and pitching stuff.

Back to the great clean up!

Hugs.

GT
Old 05-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

MMMMMM........ good burgers! Dindin is et. I've also washed the rugs in both bathrooms and the kitchen rugs. Plus I've vacuumed! Tomorrow I shall finish up defilthyfyin' da cave.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
My guess is that doggio gets a weekend of doin' liver damage.
Mine must be the size of a Buick.

Hutch and I went to my place in the woods and dug up ivy for the house here in the city.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 PM

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!! I just dove headlong into an olympic sized swimming pool of stress - willingly.
Mr Realtor came over today so that we could talk about what I could get for this place and what I'm looking for in a new place.
He came prepared with a modest 3BR ranch two blocks west of me, with a motivated seller. And you all know how much I love going up and down the stairs I went out to see the place. good sized yard, full basement, 1.5 car detached garage. the rooms are a little smaller than this place and it definitely needs a cosmetic makeover, but it has to be karma.
But wait! There's more! Karma provided a couple who were house shopping, stopped at new place because they saw the 'for sale' sign. What they really want is a two family house which new place would never accomodate without MAJOR remodeling. So Mr Realtor told them about this place.
So now, as Bro says, it's purely a spreadsheet decision. But I'd like to request that you all start sending positive vibes for a workable solution. Because I'd be so happy in that place.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 PM

Holy crap rosie! Has the other couple seen your place? Is everything within everyone's price ranges? Sending good vibes your way!!!

Now that my cold is finally giving me a break, I decided to clean the bedroom. I'm glad that the room is big enough to allow me to move furniture from one side to the other to easily wash the floor. I am not glad that there's so much floor to wash. I detest carpet but there are some times in life when I just wish I could pass a vacuum and be done with it.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He came prepared with a modest 3BR ranch two blocks west of me, with a motivated seller.
You're going to move TWO BLOCKS away????
Old 05-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
You're going to move TWO BLOCKS away????
uh, yeah. You got a problem wif dat?

eta - well maybe. No stones have been carved, yet.

Last edited by anyrose; 05-05-2012 at 07:01 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 07:11 PM

Rosie!!!

That's awesome. Good vibes, good vibes, good vibes.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 PM

I am very wound up and anxious right now. I think I'm gonna have me a nice cold adult beverage, crawl in to bed, and chill out to some mindless TV.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffienatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis <snerk> 69 <snerk> Amurrkin out with a predicted high of 91. We are also promised rain this afternoon. We shall see. Earlier promises of rain did not happen. Also, today is brunch Sunday at the church house. We are sayin' our official goodbye to our Deacon who is bein' transferred back where he came from. We are not happy with this, but we do have a Transitional Deacon (a Deacon who will be ordained soon) who will become our official Deacon and we lurve her. Still gonna miss Deacon Jim. Not that he's out of my life forever because he will still be invited over for dindin and such as outside of church we've become good friends. Anywho, I made a big ol' Chikin Divan casserole which needs to be heated up. I love my Corning Ware carrier thingy with the heat pack that keeps stuff warm up to four hours. IMO one of the greatest inventions ever.

Rosie great news! Good vibes headed out along with crossed appropriate/inappropriate appendages crossed. Looks like this could be a win-win deal for everybody. Of course, the big question is, how does Smokey feel about all of this.

Now I need more caffiene and some brekkie for rumbly tummy. Then casserole needs to get heated up and purtification for deheathenization must commence.

Happy Sunday Y'all!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Good morning!

Very exciting, rosie! I hope all the pieces fall in place for you! Would your tenant convey with the house, or are you tenantless at the moment? I know I should keep notes about your personal life, but... Anyway, all kinds of good vibes shooting your way!

Oddly enough, tho last night was kinda chilly, it was a cat-free night for me. I came out and found both of them curled up in this room - at the opposite end of the house from my side of the bed. Very weird, since Taz usually plasters himself against me and Ziva "guards" the hallway all night. Cats is weird...

Today should be a perfect day for futzing in the yard, not that I intend to do a lot today. I will get the last of the marigolds planted and mulched, finally finishing the front garden. If I still feel like it, I'll start disassembling the ring of rocks that encircled the light pole which we had yanked out. I'll need to fill the hole from the pole - it's probably 4" in diameter and maybe 18" deep - not a gaping pit, but big enough to do bad things to my ankle if I forget it's there. There were also 8 or 9 hostas in that bed, and they'll have a new home behind the forsythia hedge in front of the bedroom windows - also an easy job.

FCD plans to leave around 2 today. I got all the laundry done yesterday which will make packing easy for him - no last minute panic if he discovers something he needs is dirty. I may take advantage of his absence over the next few days and run the carpet cleaner, especially since I can leave the house open. There are so many hork spots, plus regular daily crud, that this cleaning is long overdue. Three rooms, three days - it should work out well.

In the meantime, he's still crashed. I don't know if he'll want to go out for breakfast or just forage in the pantry. I'm hungry, but if I eat, he'll get all pissy if he wants to go out. OK, not pissy, but really disappointed. It's not worth the aggravation, so I'll wait. And whine.

Happy Sunday!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:30 AM

Blurf.

Karmacally, it's beautiful. Financially, not so much. The whole point is to put me in a position to move from red to black in less than three years. Buying that (lovely, perfect, can't wait to decorate it) house would keep me in the red for ten years or more.
I'm not giving up on it, though. I'm crunching numbers and Niece,Esq is being helpful. Perhaps it will work, perhaps it won't and I'll have to find another place. Either way I am motivated to make this change.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

All purtified for deheathenization and casserole is doin' it's thing in the oven. I forgot to mention I have ush duty so must be there a little earlyish. OYKW is makin' noises like he'll just drive his ownself a little later on. Ok. He's an adult. I can permit that.

MOOOOOOM I suggest you go into the bedroom and loudly announce that you fear you shall faint from hunger soon if you do not receive nourishment. That'll give him a hint.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:06 AM

I made rice pudding of a sort this morning. Just put some cinnamon and soymilk in some leftover rice and heated it up. It would be better with raisins but I'm out.

I need to figure out what to say in the emails I'm sending out to all these ads for roommates/apartments. I hate calling people on the phone. Are there form letters onlines? Probably. Meh, I hate moving.