The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 05-05-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Rover View Post
It's how Kim-Jung Un wore his pants during his short-lived gangsta rap phase.
You know how people say "you're not as funny as you think you are" It applies double for you.
Advertisements  
Old 05-05-2012, 02:51 PM
See, I had a dog named Bubba
Charter Member

Damuri Ajashi -

Your next current events assignment - Google Hindenburg
Old 05-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

RO is the "before" in an Emily Litella speech.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Not really a useful link to tell me to google it when the definition seems to be a moving target.

Here is how a 2005 SDMB post defined it:

"RO -- "Recreational Outrage" describes when a poster expresses righteous indignation and gets highly worked up (outraged) over some issue, typically some news occurrence that is completely irrelevant to the personís own life and has no effect on that poster personally. The poster derives (recreational) satisfaction from expressing outrage and moral indignation, frequently including a sense of moral superiority, thus differentiating Recreational Outrage from other forms of outrage."

I get no satisfaction from my outrage it or a sense of moral superiority from pointing it out, part of me wishes I had never seen it. I simply found the video deeply disturbing.

Is any expression of outrage over an event that everyone would agree is outrageous an example of RO because I wasn't under the impression that a pitting required something that was debatable?

I don't know what it means to say that it is irrelevant to my own life and has no effect on me personally but I found the video quite disturbing and changed my opinion of China generally.
Here's the thing, at least as I see it: The world is a very big place, with many billions of people. Hundreds of these sorts of tragedies take place every single day. If you were so inclined, you could find some news story that would be just as outrageous any time you wanted -- simply because there's so much stuff of all kinds going on all the time.

So unless it's truly a national or world level tragedy (e.g. Darfur, Katrina) or it affects you or someone you know, it's not worth getting worked up about. IMO, of course.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks

What is RO?
Quote:
...Since when was is cool on this site to make Tosh.O type comments about kids getting run over by trucks?
You've written more than 8,000 posts in 6 years, How many have you read? Good thing you missed the thread about the baby and the parking ramp.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
You've written more than 8,000 posts in 6 years, How many have you read? Good thing you missed the thread about the baby and the parking ramp.
That's what I mean. I'm sure that if you looked hard enough, every day you could find a story just as bad as the one about this kook who dropped a baby off the side of a building. But why make yourself miserable?

I mean, there's got to be something awful happening to somebody right now in India, don't you think? We already found someone in China.

Last edited by suranyi; 05-05-2012 at 07:27 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Anyone have updated information on this? The only thing I found was a report that the girl died: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...-and-run-dies/

If someone has a reputable link, please post.

Given the amount of play it had at the time, I'm pretty surprised there hasn't been coverage of the drivers getting convicted. I'm still skeptical that this event.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post

So unless it's truly a national or world level tragedy (e.g. Darfur, Katrina) or it affects you or someone you know, it's not worth getting worked up about. IMO, of course.
i don't know how widespread it is, but i think if people are literally afraid to help another due to fear of repercussions, that would qualify as a national tragedy.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Charter Member

Update:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Wang_Yue

Many Chinese followed this story closely. There are calls for a new Good Samaritan Law.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidchameleon View Post
The first Google link for Recreational Outrage is a band name?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
Anyone have updated information on this? The only thing I found was a report that the girl died: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...-and-run-dies/

Given the amount of play it had at the time, I'm pretty surprised there hasn't been coverage of the drivers getting convicted. I'm still skeptical that this event.

You don't consider CBS News to be reputable? One of the big four networks? It's not some dinky little newspaper. WTF???
Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
The first Google link for Recreational Outrage is a band name?
I'm sure it was started by a Doper.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
You don't consider CBS News to be reputable? One of the big four networks? It's not some dinky little newspaper. WTF???
Reposting of the Chinese report. CBS is reputable but didn't actually do the reporting. There's a difference.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
Here's the thing, at least as I see it: The world is a very big place, with many billions of people. Hundreds of these sorts of tragedies take place every single day. If you were so inclined, you could find some news story that would be just as outrageous any time you wanted -- simply because there's so much stuff of all kinds going on all the time.

And China is a large place. This isn't the isolated act of one deranged psychopath, several people ignored this dying child as they walked by. The implication is that THIS is China now. A place where people will watch a child get run over by a truck and just say "its none of my business" and when a second truck runs over the kid they still don't think to pull the kid out of the road because its none of their business.

Quote:
One deranged psychopath does not usually indict an entire culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post

I used to go to China in the 80's and 90's and it wasn't this bad. there was always a level of "mind your own bsuiness" but mostly when it came to crime and domestic violence not when it came to children. When it came to children it was a lot more "it takes a village to raise a child"
Old 05-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Seeing this at the top of the list made me check the thread for dead baby pills jokes. I was disappointed.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
...One deranged psychopath does not usually indict an entire culture...
No it doesn't. But my comment was about Doper culture, which DOES commonly make jokes about what deranged psychopaths do, and DOES commonly snark about horrible tragedies. Yet you seem to have been blissfully unaware of this for 6 years, and only now shocked when you find it. Which is why I assume you just don't read much of the content here.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
Seeing this at the top of the list made me check the thread for dead baby pills jokes. I was disappointed.
I just read about that this week - that was truly a WTF moment. Pills with ground up fetus and infant in them, to give you boners for a longer time? That seems really fucked-up to me.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Which is why I assume you just don't read much of the content here.
No, Damuri is just an idiot.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnAgain View Post
No, Damuri is just an idiot.
Who cares? I wanna hear more about ground up boner babies!