The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 05-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Netflix sync problem

Hello Everyone,

Wee use Netflix streaming in our home and are fairly happy with it. It seems to work flawlessly when steamed on our TV our Wii console. However I have noticed that when streaming to either my Thrive tablet or our laptop the picture and doing end up out of sync. If I exit out of the show and restart it, it stays synced for a few minutes and then it begins again. We are using a wireless router, but on the TV never a problem. Any ideas why?
Advertisements  
Old 05-05-2012, 11:48 PM

Sometimes a short rewind will reset the synch. It happens because the video and audio are two separate streams. If anything else is happening on your laptop it can slow down one of the streams (usually the video because it carries more information). Tapping the rewind or fast forward button will usually cause a reset. Quicker than stopping and restarting the video.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obbn View Post
Hello Everyone,

Wee use Netflix streaming in our home and are fairly happy with it. It seems to work flawlessly when steamed on our TV our Wii console. However I have noticed that when streaming to either my Thrive tablet or our laptop the picture and doing end up out of sync. If I exit out of the show and restart it, it stays synced for a few minutes and then it begins again. We are using a wireless router, but on the TV never a problem. Any ideas why?
I just noticed my OP was a grammatical train wreck. My sincere apologies, when I use Swype on this tablet I need to remember to use preview. To clarify the audio and video get out of sync
Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 PM

I've noticed this on my laptop too. It always happens when Netflix decides to send me the HD stream, which overwhelms my wifi bandwidth. I just click the HD icon in the player controls, deselect "Allow HD" and everything goes back to normal.

I assume the problem never occurs on the Wii because it always defaults to the SD stream.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco3tt View Post
I've noticed this on my laptop too. It always happens when Netflix decides to send me the HD stream, which overwhelms my wifi bandwidth. I just click the HD icon in the player controls, deselect "Allow HD" and everything goes back to normal.

I assume the problem never occurs on the Wii because it always defaults to the SD stream.
Thanks, Scott. My main problems are with video and audio sync. I'll try you solution.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cillasi View Post
Sometimes a short rewind will reset the synch. It happens because the video and audio are two separate streams. If anything else is happening on your laptop it can slow down one of the streams (usually the video because it carries more information). Tapping the rewind or fast forward button will usually cause a reset. Quicker than stopping and restarting the video.
Thanks for the suggestions. I stopped all processes on my tablet except for Netflix and the problem has seemed to have disappeared.