The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 04-15-2011, 01:57 AM
BANNED

Women's Libido by Time of Month Etc.

Ladies, what times is your libido highest (or lowest)?

Do you notice any differences by time of month, time of day, time of life, etc?

Thanks.
Advertisements  
Old 04-15-2011, 02:43 AM

The day just before and the two first days of my period are when my libido is higher. There is another uptick which I guess must be ovulation. And I'm a morning person, for this as for everything else.

Last edited by Nava; 04-15-2011 at 02:44 AM..
Old 04-15-2011, 06:10 AM

It's the highest a day or two before my period, making it one of my most reliable PMS symptoms. Just after ovulation would make more sense from a biological-reproductive standpoint, but it's not the case with many of us.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
Just after ovulation would make more sense from a biological-reproductive standpoint, but it's not the case with many of us.

I'm an exception - my libido strongly increases about mid-cycle (right about the same time as ovulation), which always made sense to me biologically.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauvaise View Post
I'm an exception - my libido strongly increases about mid-cycle (right about the same time as ovulation), which always made sense to me biologically.
Me too. I want it twice daily when I'm ovulating.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:13 AM

I'm getting closer to "that age" and my libido is all over the place. I think the fruity hormone levels are to blame.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 AM

As soon as my period is over. I chalk it up to feeling normal again, feeling like I got my body back.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 AM

Just before and during my period is the highest for me. I take it as another of my body's signals that I shouldn't breed anymore!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
It's the highest a day or two before my period, making it one of my most reliable PMS symptoms. Just after ovulation would make more sense from a biological-reproductive standpoint, but it's not the case with many of us.
Actually, just before ovulation would be the most advantageous for conception.

I actually haven't ovulated much in my life, but I'm definitely noticing that around that time my libido really kicks in. I sit around thinking, "Damn, is this what guys feel like all the time? How do they get anything accomplished?"
Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM

The week before ovulation it goes crazy. As soon as ovulation occurs it drops off. Around my period the last thing I'm thinking about is sex.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

SOP can be hot!! I mean I wouldn't want it like that all the time but once a month sounds about right.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:05 PM

I never turn down sex.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:59 PM

I'm usually pretty horny, but around the time I ovulate I'm basically obsessed. I think that's what it must be like to be a teenage boy. I feel sorry for them.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:53 PM

When I was dating, early in any relationship, I was always aching for it. Something's changed and it's just not a priority anymore. I can usually rally, but I rarely initiate. (Poor mr. lust...)

I can generally count on my libido kicking in at least a little just before my period, though

Somewhat off topic: I'm lucky in that I occasionally have intensely orgasmic dreams. It tends to be multiple months between episodes, but when they hit, there can be a couple in a night, sometimes multiple nights. Does a body good.

Last edited by wonder lust; 04-15-2011 at 02:53 PM..
Old 04-16-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Just before and during my period is the highest for me. I take it as another of my body's signals that I shouldn't breed anymore!
I'm the same way. I blame my dysfunctional hormones.

When I was on birth control, it was even worse -- I thought about sex all day, every day, old people, young people, everybody in between -- which is one of the reasons I went off of it, because I couldn't handle the constant distraction. (That, and PMS-like rage every day, x10 during actual PMS.) Hence, my blame on my hormones.

Last edited by gallows fodder; 04-16-2011 at 12:47 PM..
Old 04-16-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmAnJ View Post
Me too. I want it twice daily when I'm ovulating.
Me too! And not at all around my period.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 AM

Huh. It appears I, and most of the guys I know, are constantly ovulating. Apparently.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:04 AM

Whenever I flip it on.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:02 AM

Although I am almost at the end of menopause I seem to have the libido of a teenager.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 AM

I'm on the Pill. I'm ready for sex any time, but I can't orgasm before breakfast. It's weird. We'll still have morning sex though.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 AM

Noticeably higher during my period and half way between periods (which I assume is when I'm ovulating).

As far as time of day, the night time is the right time? I don't know, I think my libido is opportunistic more than anything else.

I've always been glad to be a girl because sometimes my libido feels like a separate entity and I think if I had a dick I'd be popping ill-timed boners all over the place. Sometimes I'll just get this rush of desire and I'll think "Really, now? We're looking at a spreadsheet, why are you excited?"
Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 PM

Three days before my cycle, I'm just dragging my poor man to the bedroom, and don't want to let him out. I would call it EXTREMELY HORNY. But I'm also one of those 'mostly into it' all the time people.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:29 PM

only one person responded to "time of day." i'm typically horniest around mid-day, every day. this is more of a distraction if i'm ovulating but much less of one if i'm not. but still generally there.

if i don't get any that day the feeling seems to taper off by 3 pm or so. if i go without any type of release for several days, i become downright agitated and nasty. i may even develop a headache. i recognize this in my man also - that he's more of an insufferable cur when he hasn't flogged the monkey or played hide the sausage in a while. i remind him of this when we are "getting on each other's nerves." sex cures all!!

Last edited by yayforme; 05-06-2012 at 10:30 PM..
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 AM

SAHM to a 13 month old--I am never horny at this stage in my life. Except when we went on vacation without her. Something about worrying about the kid going to sleep and staying asleep is a complete buzzkill for me. I still enjoy sex but orgasm is a chore.

Before, I was horniest in the few days before my period and couldn't orgasm first thing in the morning.