The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Great Debates

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 AM
BANNED

Petrus Romanus - who is the predicted last pope?

a quick look at the 900y old prophecies of the popes show the next one is the last one in the list. BUT the current pope Benedict 16 has the LAST NUMBER ASSIGNED! (111 Glory of the olive)
The longest paragraph for the pope after pope N111 does not have a number assigned by St Malachy.

Does it mean Benedict is Petrus Romanus? May be not.
Why then no number given by Malachy for the roman bishop that appears to be 267th successor of St Peter? Does it mean Petrus Romanus will not be canonically elected as a pope of the whole church, but only as a bishop of Rome?

For those who need background info, pls review http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes as well as the numerous internet and youtube comments.

"In the extreme persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will sit [i.e., as bishop].
Peter the Roman, who will pasture his sheep in many tribulations:
and when these things are finished, the city of seven hills will be destroyed,
and the terrible judge will judge his people.
The End."
Advertisements  
Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Oh. That wil be me. I have a grass-roots write in campaign underway, and have been wining and dining Cardinals for years.

I am concurrently breeding battle-sheep to level Rome.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 AM

Beware the Sheep at March
Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 AM
BANNED

Benedict 16 has every chance to be the pope of the officially released (part of) the 3rd secret of Fatima. JPII was never killed, neither were scores of bishops, priests and laymen, on a mountain, by soldiers, as the vision says. And because Petrus Romanus reigns already amidst destruction, and is not killed by it, remains the pope that will fulfill the (official) Fatima 3, is exactly Benedict. There is no other left.

Last edited by greenlife; 05-07-2012 at 06:58 AM..
Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Petrus Romanus literally translate to "the rock of Rome." Given that you are shifting the predictions for the current Pope from his predessor, this indicates we can shift one letter in the descriptor for the Final Pope.

So 'rock of Rome' becomes "Rock and Roll," showing that the end times had been predicted and are occurring now, ever since the rise of that Godless, Communist music. (This ties in very closely with the "destruction" of the traditional Catholic Mass with Vatican II. Coincidence or the workings of prophesy?)
Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlife View Post
Benedict 16 has every chance to be the pope of the officially released (part of) the 3rd secret of Fatima. JPII was never killed, neither were scores of bishops, priests and laymen, on a mountain, by soldiers, as the vision says. And because Petrus Romanus reigns already amidst destruction, and is not killed by it, remains the pope that will fulfill the (official) Fatima 3, is exactly Benedict. There is no other left.
Except that the whole thing is made up crap.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
a quick look at the 900y old prophecies of the popes show the next one is the last one in the list. BUT the current pope Benedict 16 has the LAST NUMBER ASSIGNED! (111 Glory of the olive)
The longest paragraph for the pope after pope N111 does not have a number assigned by St Malachy.

Does it mean Benedict is Petrus Romanus? May be not.
Why then no number given by Malachy for the roman bishop that appears to be 267th successor of St Peter? Does it mean Petrus Romanus will not be canonically elected as a pope of the whole church, but only as a bishop of Rome?

For those who need background info, pls review http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes as well as the numerous internet and youtube comments.

"In the extreme persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will sit [i.e., as bishop].
Peter the Roman, who will pasture his sheep in many tribulations:
and when these things are finished, the city of seven hills will be destroyed,
The End."
On a related note, did you know that the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 05-07-2012 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: splling
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The End."
So the world ends not with a bang, but Judge Mathis?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Dextrin View Post
So the world ends not with a bang, but Judge Mathis?
Well, the Christian god does have a record of being sadistic...
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM

I don't know, it seems to me that some of the predictions are uncannily accurate. I'd say this monk beats the crap out of Nostradamus.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I don't know, it seems to me that some of the predictions are uncannily accurate. I'd say this monk beats the crap out of Nostradamus.
It's not terribly difficult to predict things accurately when they've already happened. There's no evidence at all that the prophecy was written any earlier than the 16th century.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
For those who need background info, pls review http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes ...
So a list first published in 1595, which oddly enough seems surprisingly specific and accurate for the popes before 1590 yet gets a lot less specific and the "hits" a lot more tenuous for the popes after? I smell a rat.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 AM

If the last pope is to be named Peter . . . well, no pope since St. Peter has taken that name, and probably none ever will. What's more, we might never see another pope who is "Romanus," that is, a native of the Diocese of Rome.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
BUT the current pope Benedict 16 has the LAST NUMBER ASSIGNED!
And Time Lords only get 13 regenerations. But if the franchise needs The Doctor to regenerate a 14th time, a retcon will be invented. Pope stuff works the same way.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
It's not terribly difficult to predict things accurately when they've already happened. There's no evidence at all that the prophecy was written any earlier than the 16th century.
Fine, stipulate that. But it still seems that #254, 263, 264, 265, and 266 seem quite remarkable. John Paul I, of the half moon, begun his reign and died on the quarter moon. Quite a few well after the 16th century do seem to be apt.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM
BANNED

Because when you want to see highly educated Phd scholars write meticulously researched and unfailingly historically accurate articles on theology, what better place to go than the comments section of a Youtube video.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man With The Golden Gun View Post
Because when you want to see highly educated Phd scholars write meticulously researched and unfailingly historically accurate articles on theology, what better place to go than the comments section of a Youtube video.
I think Edmund, Lord Blackadder, said it best:
Quote:
Blackadder: It is said, Percy, that the civilized man seeks out good and intelligent company so that by learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God.
Lord Percy: Yes, I'd heard that.
Blackadder: Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
If the last pope is to be named Peter . . . well, no pope since St. Peter has taken that name, and probably none ever will. What's more, we might never see another pope who is "Romanus," that is, a native of the Diocese of Rome.
Of course, the first part of the prophecy might be fulfilled if they ever elect a pope whose baptismal name or family name, as opposed to his regnal name, is Peter or Petri or some cognate.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:48 AM

As mentioned, the OP is based on a discredited prediction.

But I have to ask here is why if in Acts it was essential to have 12 leaders of the church, how come we end it up with only one?

Last edited by GIGObuster; 05-07-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Old 05-07-2012, 11:57 AM

All bishops are part of the apostolic succession, not just the Bishop of Rome. There are about 5,000 bishops, so there are the required 12, plus some extras.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
All bishops are part of the apostolic succession, not just the Bishop of Rome. There are about 5,000 bishops, so there are the required 12, plus some extras.
Don't quite follow, if that is the case why then is not the pope the equal of all the bishops and why we do have cardinals?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Because the apostles were all equal. God hates democracy.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
Petrus Romanus literally translate to "the rock of Rome." Given that you are shifting the predictions for the current Pope from his predessor, this indicates we can shift one letter in the descriptor for the Final Pope.

So 'rock of Rome' becomes "Rock and Roll," showing that the end times had been predicted and are occurring now, ever since the rise of that Godless, Communist music. (This ties in very closely with the "destruction" of the traditional Catholic Mass with Vatican II. Coincidence or the workings of prophesy?)
But it wasn't Petrus Romanus...

It was Panulirus Interruptus!
Panulirus Interruptus!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

"Knock knock"
"Who's there"
"Panulirus Interruptus!"
Old 05-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
"Knock knock"
"Who's there"
"Panulirus Interruptus!"
"Panulirus Interrup--"

"Dominus vobiscum!"
Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse View Post
But it wasn't Petrus Romanus...

It was Panulirus Interruptus!
Panulirus Interruptus!
Damn your eyes. Now I'm going to be hearing that guy's voice intoning Latin for the rest of the evening.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:38 PM

I love how, in our lifetimes, we'll get to see the squirming of those who believe this stuff try to explain why the prophecy didn't come true. Benedict's only got a decade or two left, if that. So by the time the Playstation 6 comes out, this whole silly thing should be done with, unless somebody suddenly "discovers" another lost line or two of the prophecy
Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
All priests are part of the apostolic succession, though they are not authorized to pass it on to another. (I've seen a plaque in a local Episcopalian church showing a sort of genealogical chart of the pastor's apostolic succession back to one of the apostles -- even the Anglican Communion subscribes to this.)

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 05-07-2012 at 02:11 PM..
Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Which, incidentally, is why Anglican priests who convert to Catholicism remain priests, recognized by the Catholic church. Though the situation is currently a bit muddled by the fact that Anglicans recognize female priests and bishops, while Catholics do not.

I think the same is true of Lutherans, but not most other Protestants.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM

The last pope will the one elected when Catholics have lost interest in the whole thing.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:40 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Moderating

greenlife, you have another thread that is still active. Please post to that one instead of clogging up this forum with unintelligible screeds.
Closed Thread