The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM

Things they didn't teach us older people.

List what seems the young of today learned that didn't get learned by us older folks.

I was taught to tie a neck tie, not tie a doo rag.
Advertisements  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I was taught to write, not to text.

Also:

How to dial a phone
Not to spin the dial on the TV (lest it break)
How to read a map, rather than use a GPS

Last edited by gotpasswords; 05-09-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Old 05-09-2012, 10:49 AM

Typing.

(Man, I could make a list of 100 things that I learned that kids today don't learn.)
Old 05-09-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Typing.

(Man, I could make a list of 100 things that I learned that kids today don't learn.)
That's the opposite of this thread, and heard a lot around here.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 AM

I was taught to make copies using carbon paper, and to use White Out for correcting typos.

And Xerox machine copy paper came on a roll, not by the ream.

And I was taught that it would be necessary for me to walk to the places that I wanted to go. And I routinely walked, alone, more than a mile to and from school every day though one of the poorest and most dangerous suburbs of Chicago (Harvey) nobody gave a second thought to it.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:50 AM

Reading comprehension?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

I was taught police officers, priests, coaches, male teachers and Scout leaders were authority figures to be respected and trusted, not perverts just waiting to take advantage of me.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM

I wasn't taught to use a smart phone. It wasn't obvious how to do it the first time I tried.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

I was not taught computer stuff. I had to learn it on my own. In high school, we were developing the first computer classes, and we were kinda winging it since no one (not even the teachers) knew what we were doing. Now they have proper computer classes in high school where they even teach you how to make web pages (web pages didn't even exist when I went to high school).
Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM

How to deal with bullies. We had to figure it out on our own. My method involved fisticuffs.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

That people are more important and principles are less so; that feelings are more important than facts when dealing with others (Why yes, I do aspire to become a grumpy old man!)

What a PC is actually doing with your data. I was exposed to programming in BASIC, but I had to pick up concepts like volatile and nonvolatile memory, local vs remote storage and directory trees. These are all simple things to learn, but my mom still can't get the idea that "we put her Word document into this folder."
Old 05-09-2012, 12:41 PM

I was never taught how to use a smartphone - which is why I have a basic 'dumb' cell phone.

I was never taught how to use a skateboard - and roller skates are not the same thing at all...

I did not grow up learning the basic ins and outs of most remote controls (yes, we actually had to get up and walk across the room just to change the channel!) - and after many years, still often find myself baffled...

I was never taught about 'keyless entry' - and now that I have a car with this feature, it still takes me longer to use the keyfob locker/unlocker than to just do it manually...yeah, I know - I'm an idiot...

I learned how to change a tire - the idea of calling 'roadside assistance' still seems foreign and a bit 'wrong' to me! (although, I'll admit, dialing a number is a lot easier than changing a tire!)

I never learned how to start a power mower - I grew up using a 'grass cutter' not a 'lawn mower'! Much quieter and doesn't require as much upper body strength to get it started! Whenever I manage to get my power mower started, I still think of it as a fluke...

I never really developed the hand/eye coordination required of most action type video games.

I was never taught that failing to get your pets neutered was a moral failing - when I was a kid, occasionally your cat had kittens or your dog had puppies - but this was actually considered normal! (I did manage to learn this as an adult, and most of my pets have been neutered - but I'm still a little astonished at how its become a sin not to do so!)

I was never taught (and I'm still not convinced) that its possible to be healthy without eating meat! (except on fridays.... )

I never learned how to use the internet to 'cheat' on tests...

I still don't know how to change the line on my weedwhacker - and I'm pretty sure that its not that hard...

Operating a computer is something that I had to learn as an adult - and I'm still not able to 'add hardware'! If I need to add a printer, a monitor, keyboard, mouse or whatever to my 'puter - I have to call for help! (I'm pretty sure this is just laziness - it can't be that hard to figure out!)

Yeah...most of this is probably why they have those PS announcements - 'Never stop learning!'
Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM

How to measure using the American Standard system. I was one of the lucky Carter-era elementary school kids who only learned the Metric System. I still have no idea how many cups are in a pint or pints in quart, or what rationale might behind it all to help me remember.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:07 PM

I was never taught how to be old.
So I am not.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
I was not taught computer stuff. I had to learn it on my own. In high school, we were developing the first computer classes, and we were kinda winging it since no one (not even the teachers) knew what we were doing. Now they have proper computer classes in high school where they even teach you how to make web pages (web pages didn't even exist when I went to high school).
Let me guess - you're about 45 years old? That was the same at my high school - there were a handful of die-hard nerds who took computer classes, but the rest of us didn't have a clue about that new-fangled technology. I did, however, learn to type in high school, fortunately. There was (if I recall correctly) one guy in our typing classes - he was ahead of the curve!

Oh yeah - if you were a guy, you probably weren't taught to type.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelHutz405 View Post
Reading comprehension?
tee hee

Actual stuff my son has been or is being taught in school that I was not:

Power Point
Digital Photograph
Computer Graphics

Stuff he seems to have been born knowing that eludes me:
Text speak
what ALL the buttons on his game controller do
Old 05-09-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post

True story. I wanted to take typing in grade 10 as a "bird" course. You know, an easy one with little homework. My mum wouldn't let me. "What will you ever use typing for?" She let me take art instead.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM

I wasn't taught how to burn a disk or skype or tweet or download (and use) an ap. Thank goodness I have my kids to teach me.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy40 View Post
I wasn't taught how to burn a disk or skype or tweet or download (and use) an ap. Thank goodness I have my kids to teach me.
Heh, My aunt bought a new phone at the weekend, my mum taught her the basics of using it, but had to ask me to set up some of the features. Anything I wasn't sure about, I asked my kid.

I wasn't taught website maintenance, or any computer systems. Usually I get handed a partial ("we're still developing this") manual and work it out as I go.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm 60, so I'm not old enough to know what you old people are talking about.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyoftheField View Post
I was never taught how to use a smartphone - which is why I have a basic 'dumb' cell phone.
Heck, I don't even know how to use a dumb cell phone. If someone else handed me their cell phone, smart or dumb, and said "Here, call somebody," I wouldn't know how.

I was never taught typing (by which I include everything from a manual typewriter to a computer keyboard). I mean, I've learned by doing, but I've never had any formal instruction of any kind. Do kids these days get taught how to type, or is it just something they pick up naturally from growing up around keyboards?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Let me guess - you're about 45 years old?
Good guess. 46.

ETA: And no, I wasn't taught how to type. A former secretary once told me that I type amazingly fast considering how wrong I do it.

Last edited by engineer_comp_geek; 05-09-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Old 05-09-2012, 04:52 PM

I learned to poo without the aid of a smartphone.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:10 PM

Kids are still taught to type. They just call it "keyboarding" class. In our district it's the first quarter of the required 6th grade computer class.

I wasn't taught how to cook. I sort of had to figure it out as I went along. My mom would tell me to make something and assume I could do it. It's pretty much the same way she taught me how to sew. While this isn't the easiest way to learn, it did teach me that all I had to do to learn something was just start messing around until I figured it out. That's been pretty handy over the years.

Last edited by Miss Woodhouse; 05-09-2012 at 05:11 PM..
Old 05-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
True story. I wanted to take typing in grade 10 as a "bird" course. You know, an easy one with little homework. My mum wouldn't let me. "What will you ever use typing for?" She let me take art instead.
My mom, although a fundamentalist bigot, at least understood how typing chops could come in useful. So when an equally progressive fourth-grade teacher, who saw me using a typewriter, but laboriously, said, "You don't know how to touch type?", my mom ordered a Calvert School (home schooling) course for me. I never stop thanking her for my being able to touch type by 5th grade (20 years before homes had computers, and computers had keyboards).
Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 PM

World music. When I was in school, we had recorder class in 3rd grade, strings (violin and viola) in 6th grade, and band instruments in junior high.

My kids got taught how to play all manner of banging-ringing-thumping world music that I literally never even heard of, outside of National Geographic specials, when I was growing up.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
My mom, although a fundamentalist bigot, at least understood how typing chops could come in useful. So when an equally progressive fourth-grade teacher, who saw me using a typewriter, but laboriously, said, "You don't know how to touch type?", my mom ordered a Calvert School (home schooling) course for me. I never stop thanking her for my being able to touch type by 5th grade (20 years before homes had computers, and computers had keyboards).
My mom (a very progressive liberal) also told me to take typing. She also told me never to tell anyone I could type. Back in 1967 women were still pretty much expected to be nurses and secretaries and teachers, and she didn't want me getting tagged as a typist.

Good call Mom. I went into a male-dominated field (IT) and touch typing is a damn handy skill. And of course I can admit to it now, although I leave out the part about how I learned on a manual typewriter during the Summer of Love.

Last edited by Dr. Woo; 05-09-2012 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Typo, of course!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 PM

How to tumble (Gymboree classes)
How to formally play sports on appropriate playing fields/courts; we just went out after school for pickup games of whatever in our neighborhood; baseball (the manhole was 2nd, the fire hydrant was 3rd); football (between the two trees was a TD); basketball, (if your shot went down the hill & into the creek, you had to fetch it)
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacoguy View Post
There's an app for that, probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Woodhouse View Post
I wasn't taught how to cook. I sort of had to figure it out as I went along. My mom would tell me to make something and assume I could do it. It's pretty much the same way she taught me how to sew. While this isn't the easiest way to learn, it did teach me that all I had to do to learn something was just start messing around until I figured it out. That's been pretty handy over the years.
That's how I learned and how I expect my children to learn but they keep insisting on using recipes and patterns, though they don't know half the terminology and try to learn from Youtube videos. My kids are proven idiots.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:57 AM

I didn't get taught how to use comupters, but I also didn't get taught to fear them, which my Grandparents definitely had drummed into them.

Last edited by TruCelt; 05-10-2012 at 08:57 AM..
Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I didn't get taught how to use comupters, but I also didn't get taught to fear them, which my Grandparents definitely had drummed into them.
My parents got that drummed into them, and tried to pass it on to me. Fortunately, all the time I spent playing Nintendo convinced me that something that was that much fun couldn't be all bad. I now work in IT, and my parents have no idea what I do, nor any desire to know.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 AM

I have never learned enough finger/hand/eye coordination to play Xbox with my kids, even though I can play the piano. They're always yelling at me to push three or four different buttons simultaneously, and then tilt the thing, all while some monster is screaming at you. Gives me high blood pressure, it does.
I have never learned how our wireless router works, or how to reset it if it goes wonky. That's what the teenage son is for, although I suppose I should learn it so that I don't have to make him come home from college to fix it.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limegreen View Post
I have never learned how our wireless router works, or how to reset it if it goes wonky.
The first thing to try is to unplug it, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in again. This has fixed probably at least 80% of our wireless router problems.

This also works for a lot of USB devices, only in that case you unplug the USB cable, not the power cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacoguy
You can use a smartphone to help you poo? Maybe I do need one. I'm pregnant, and can use all the help I can get in that department right now (as long as it won't hurt the baby).

I wonder if regular expressions are involved, somehow. I hope so- those, I know.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville View Post
. . . I wonder if regular expressions are involved, somehow. I hope so- those, I know.
I thought that was the goal?

(D&R)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:49 PM

Since I've been programming well over 40 years, I still am ahead of my kids about computers.

What I haven't been taught is why it makes sense to watch a movie on a tiny little screen, and why it makes sense to let everyone in the world know your every damn move. But this might be misanthropy, not age.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Our little podunk rural very very small town school must have been damned progressive then as we were required to take typing courses, boys and girls alike.

Last edited by Kimballkid; 05-10-2012 at 03:08 PM..
Old 05-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville View Post
You can use a smartphone to help you poo? Maybe I do need one. I'm pregnant, and can use all the help I can get in that department right now (as long as it won't hurt the baby).

I wonder if regular expressions are involved, somehow. I hope so- those, I know.
Just don't push too hard and check the bowl when you are done.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:58 PM

When I was born, no digital computer existed. There were a handful of analog computers, most notably Vannevar Bush's differential analyzer. TV had been invented but wouldn't become a home machine for another 10 years (and we got our first only when I was 13, bought with my Bar Mitzvah geld). The first transistor was in the future. Boys were not taught to type. Curiously, for that era, we were taught home ec and I learned a bit about both cooking and sewing. I can still sew a seam or put a button back on and do so from time to time. All radios (and later TVs) were filled with vacuum tubes. That ended about 1960, except for the TV picture tube. (Does anyone still sell CRT TVs, I wonder?) And of course, all phones were dial (except for some rural systems that still used live operators) and cell phones were unimagined. And when I heard of a computer that cost less then $1 million, I was incredulous. But soon my department had a minicomputer (a Wang) that cost $20K and we needed a $2K/year maintenance contract. That lasted until microcomputers came out and I bought an original PC in 1982, had email by the end of 1984 and never looked back. Of course, I used dialup modems. The first was an acoustic cradle you stuffed the phone receiver into and operated at 300 baud. The second was a board that went into the computer and was 1200 baud. Within a few years it was up to 56K baud and stayed that way till I got a DSL line.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 AM

I was never taught anything mentioned in this thread . . . and with a few exceptions, have learned it all (and more) on my own, and without any kids to help me.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Typing.

I graduated high school in '04 so I'm still fairly young. I had at least one typing class a semester for three consecutive years.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
I graduated high school in '04 so I'm still fairly young. I had at least one typing class a semester for three consecutive years.
Indeed. Keyboarding is a class my students still take.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:06 PM

For many years I typed "hunt-n-peck" with two fingers from each hand. Then one day it occurred to me that i knew where all the keys were, they never moved, and there's no reason to look at them. So I put my fingers in the "home" position, closed my eyes, and started typing. It took a while to get my speed up, but there was no problem after that. Do people really have to take classes for this?
Old 05-13-2012, 04:16 PM

I wasn't taught how to grow a smart phone out of the skin of my hand so that I am never, ever without it poised in a usable position.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
For many years I typed "hunt-n-peck" with two fingers from each hand. Then one day it occurred to me that i knew where all the keys were, they never moved, and there's no reason to look at them. So I put my fingers in the "home" position, closed my eyes, and started typing. It took a while to get my speed up, but there was no problem after that. Do people really have to take classes for this?
You had a head start. If you don't know the keyboard layout, you have to learn it someplace!