The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Marketplace

Old 05-10-2012, 10:40 PM

World of Warcraft stuff -- polar bear mount, Tyrael pet, orc statue

So here's the deal.

As a perk back in the day, I received some World of Warcraft codes I never used. I think I've used all my CE upgrades, but what I *haven't* used is the 2008 Blizzcon and Worldwide Invitational codes. Specifically, that's this guy:

and this guy:

I could never decide where I wanted the little guys to go, so my indecision is your good fortune. These guys eBay for a pretty high price: between $200-$400 for the mount, and Tyrael goes for upward of $1000.

I also have this fella:

It was never for sale: it was an employee thank-you from back around Christmas 2007. Currently it's just sitting in its box in my closet.

So why would I want to get rid of this stuff? Simple. I never played WoW all that much and I was never all that into the vanity pets. The only one I ever went ape over was that little white kitten you get from Timmy or whatever his name is. And as impressive and as Weta-ish as the statue is, my decor is a little more Art Nouveau than Orc Nouveau. Also, it seems I need the money.

I don't have eBay auctions going yet. Thought I might cut out the middleman and offer to friends first. I've been here a long time, and while I'm not the loudest or most prolific of posters, I hope I do at least have a rep for honesty and I know some folks here are really fond of the game.
Advertisements  
Old 05-11-2012, 01:27 AM
These are ATTACK eyebrows!
Charter Member

Ooh, that sculpture is nice. How big is it, and can you give a ballpark range of what you might be looking for?

I'd love to have Tyrael but my days of spending that kind of cash on WoW stuff are long over.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:59 PM

Ooooh, that polar bear is awesome. But like Infovore, I can't justify buying virtual pretties. Hope you get good money for them! Have you ever tried selling through wowtcgloot or any of those sites?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:49 PM

Infovore: Here's a guy holding one --

I really don't know -- I've rarely seen them for sale, and they've been anywhere from like $750 to over $3000. Really pricey, but for people who love this sort of thing, I guess it's worth it?

I haven't tried selling anywhere else. Despite having worked for the company for years I really didn't know where I should go.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:55 PM
These are ATTACK eyebrows!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Plastic Ninja View Post
Infovore: Here's a guy holding one --

I really don't know -- I've rarely seen them for sale, and they've been anywhere from like $750 to over $3000. Really pricey, but for people who love this sort of thing, I guess it's worth it?
Yeah, I figured it would be high. A little rich for my blood, unfortunately. It's funny--I'd have jumped at it awhile ago, even at that price (well, maybe the lower range of that price ), but I'm kind of moving away from WoW now so I can't justify it, nice (and rare) as it is. I don't doubt you'll have any trouble getting a very good price for it, and the other stuff. I'd try Ebay if it were me. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 PM

I never understood why people would pay extra for pixels they already pay for. The statue is a different story.

Maybe I am just cheap
Old 05-15-2012, 02:45 PM

Kind of with you on that one -- maybe it makes me a bad salesman, but I can't fathom why someone would pay so much for what I have.

But it's that valuable to them, so!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:01 PM

A bit out of my price range, but yeah, people go nuts for this stuff. I and a friend of mine stayed at a WoW trading card tournament longer than we planned because there was a raffle for an $800 spectral tiger mount loot card (which we both agreed to sell and split if we won). A $20 entry fee and 6 hours of a mildly entertaining card game was a pretty decent price to pay for a 2/30 (meaning my friend and me versus 30 people) chance to win an $800 piece of cardboard. Alas, we didn't win.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

What would be the lowest price you would consider for the statue?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngnb8 View Post
I never understood why people would pay extra for pixels they already pay for. The statue is a different story.

Maybe I am just cheap
Cos I'm a collector pet junkie on my gnome. Unfortunately, I'm a -poor- pet junkie, so I don't think I'll be able to throw my hat into the ring for this one.