The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: Would you?
Yes, absolutely! 76 40.64%
Yes, with some hesitation. 46 24.60%
No, with some hesitation. 15 8.02%
No, absolutely! 46 24.60%
This poll option intentionally left blank. 4 2.14%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 AM

Would you go back in time if it meant living your entire life again from your first memory.

So you can go back in time. However, there's a catch: your consciousness as it exists now will be transplanted into your body at the age you began to form and maintain long-term memory. For some of you, that can mean returning to the age of a toddler. You won't be able to think or process things like a child; you'll still have all the memories and intelligence that you have now. You won't be undergoing the mental or emotional developments that most people go through as they age from an infant to an adult. You will still develop physically, however, so prepare for awkwardness.

Because you'll be keeping your consciousness intact, you'll be able to exploit any information you can hold in your head. The shadowy agency that's making this offer will give you exactly 24-hours to memorize anything you wish. For most people, I imagine lottery numbers and stock histories will be a priority. But anything is game. Think big. Or maybe think small, whatever.

I want to impress upon you how difficult it can and probably will be living your entire life again. It will be nearly impossible for you to connect with your peers until you reach highchool or beyond. It's almost certainly going to be long and tedious. You already know most of what's going to happen. You might be able to avert some tragedies, but more than likely, you're going to have to watch some of them unfold all over again. And relationships -- well, any serious relationship you have right now will have to start from scratch. It should go without saying that if you have a wife or husband (or any significant other), unless you met them very early in your life, you're going to be waiting a long, long time before you can reconnect with them.

But beyond all those hardships, you have an opportunity to shape the world to your will.

So what do you think? Would you do it? And what, exactly, would you do if you could?
Advertisements  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:03 PM

Yes. In a heartbeat. Taking the stuff I've already learned in life and getting the chance to apply it retroactively would make me a much happier person, in the end. Some wrongs would definitely be righted.

Last edited by Rachellelogram; 05-11-2012 at 12:04 PM..
Old 05-11-2012, 12:04 PM

No shit. Getting a chance to be young again and able to avoid all the stupid shit I got myself into?

Where do I sign?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:13 PM

Lots of hesitation.
If I know not to date the boy I was (stupdily) dating towards the end of college, I would not have moved north and met my now-husband. But the senario assumes anything can change, as I could win the lottery or buy stocks. Need to think some more.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:15 PM

I think this is a better hypothetical without the "24 hours to memorize stuff" caveat--as your OP noted, that opens the door pretty wide to untold wealth via lottery winnings multiplied by purchases of Apple or Microsoft stock on the right day or year.

But yes, I'd do it, with some reservations because in many ways you would be throwing away the life that you have. I cannot imagine my interpersonal relationships being the same--although for the few truly important individuals in my life, I'd probably seek them out anyway (e.g., assuming I went to the same college that I did previously).
Old 05-11-2012, 12:26 PM

Oh, sure. Knowing then what I know now, with a chance to make different choices? In a heartbeat.

And, yes, it would be tough not really being a child when this whole new world would see me as one. But it would be fascinating. Talk about an undercover assignment.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Definitely, yes! I would change my whole high school and college years, and get away from my abusive mother much, much earlier.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's Grandmother View Post
Lots of hesitation.
If I know not to date the boy I was (stupdily) dating towards the end of college, I would not have moved north and met my now-husband. But the senario assumes anything can change, as I could win the lottery or buy stocks. Need to think some more.
Since you have your memories, you could just move north anyways. I don't think you read the OP quite right. The real problem could be that your husband-to-be might not hit it off with your slightly older soul in your younger body.

Last edited by CarnalK; 05-11-2012 at 12:36 PM..
Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 PM

Nope. Why risk making a whole new bunch of horrible mistakes in an effort to avoid all the ones made first time around. Not to mention another 10-12 years entirely under my parents' thumbs. I would hate it all for the better part of two decades before having the ability to make independent decisions for myself and would probably be too bitter, frustrated and angry to enjoy it by then.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:14 PM

Not remotely interested in any alternate reality that doesn't include the Firebug.

Five years ago, I'd have had a different attitude towards things. But those years of having an adult brain in a kid's body would be really frustrating. As a kid, you spend practically all your time with other kids of roughly your age. If you found yourself in the body of your 3 year old self, you'd go ten or twelve years without a decent semi-grownup conversation.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:27 PM

Given the opportunity to be with my dear departed wife for another 25 years (even if it took 25 years to get there) would be worth any amount of turmoil.
Also, my childhood was no cakewalk. Knowing what I know now would have ameliorated quite a bit of the angst I felt at the time. I would also know that the Soviet Union wasn't going to bomb us into oblivion, so that constant background fear would be removed as well.
Investing in Microsoft early on and then cashing in before the bubble burst in 2000 would ensure that I wouldn't have had to worry about money as much as I used to.

But, mostly, being able to spend another 25 years with my darling would be worth anything.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:31 PM

I voted "Yes, with some hesitation". I have no hesitation at all about going back and doing it over again - and lots of it differently. I do have hesitation at the thought of leaving my current life behind, and living 30+ years without my SO until I can meet him again. Going to find him earlier in our timelines probably wouldn't work, as it was the time and circumstances of our meeting, as much as our personalities, that drew us together. If I tried to seek him out when we were younger, he'd be disgusted by this little girl trying to seduce him! (He's 22 years my senior.) OTOH, he'd have loved my tits before kids...
Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM

I didn't make terrible choices growing up, and I got along fine with my parents.

Being independently wealthy would be nice, but then there is the chance of dying randomly in a car crash or some other bizarre way; it happens all the time in every city in the world.

I think I'll stay where I am, as much as I'd like the wealth and chance to correct some wrongs. Waiting 30 years for the internet to finally arrive would be torture!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Not remotely interested in any alternate reality that doesn't include the Firebug.

Five years ago, I'd have had a different attitude towards things. But those years of having an adult brain in a kid's body would be really frustrating. As a kid, you spend practically all your time with other kids of roughly your age. If you found yourself in the body of your 3 year old self, you'd go ten or twelve years without a decent semi-grownup conversation.
This. The change in, well, everything, would probably drive me completely insane. My life has only gotten better the older I've gotten so I can't think of any reason why I'd want to relive the past. Then again, I am still rather young and thus still have a lot to look forward to. If I was much older I can certainly see why I might want to.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

I am not sure I would do it. There is a lot of pain and risk to go along with the pleasure and advantage.

To those of you thinking about memorizing lottery numbers or sports team wins, that is a far from a certain thing especially in the case of lotteries. You won't behave exactly the same way you did the first time given your new knowledge. Your life is going to deviate and set off a massive chain reaction of chaos theory that will eventually change the whole world. The same numbers and teams won't win in your new world just because of you. Your parents may not have gotten into a deadly car accident the first time around but they might this time when you delay them for just a few seconds. You almost certainly won't have the same younger siblings that you have now either or any other family that is younger than you. A specific sperm meeting a specific egg at a certain time can be disrupted by just about anything.

It is quite possible that you would end up with a much worse version of reality than you did the first time even with your new knowledge. OTOH, general knowledge like knowing the internet will take off at some point is useful and could make you wealthy in lots of different ways. Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 05-11-2012 at 02:25 PM..
Old 05-11-2012, 02:39 PM

I don't care about lottery numbers or Apple stock. I'd just like to do things differently. There are many, many things I would do differently.

The life I've led hasn't been horrendous, but it hasn't been spectacular either. Why not give it another go?
Old 05-11-2012, 02:41 PM

No. I'd lose my wife.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:11 PM

There are two stupid mistakes I'd have to make all over again, since I can't imagine losing my kids. But other than those two bad relationship choices? Oh HELL yeah! I am a girl who lived most of my young adult life using my heart instead of my head.

I liked school okay, and I really really liked High School (though with this one-time offer, I can see very well how I could improve even that fairly nice experience a lot).

Money? meh....I guess I'd bet on a football game, or one of the triple crown winners or something to help fund college, but I can't really imagine being THAT much happier if I were wealthy. For me it would be about reaching my full potential.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:19 PM

I picked "No, with hesitation"

Your chance to avert tragedies tempts me awfully. My first thought was maybe I could avert my brother's suicide (it only happened three years ago). First, just by being a nice big sister rather than an average one (meaning sometimes I was horrible to him, like your average sibling).

but Shagnasty points out that you might not even get the same younger siblings, and even if I did, might my hovering and anxiety for him ALL HIS LIFE (because it's not like I could breathe a sigh of relief once he gets to age 36) have negative effects?

To many what ifs to give up my three children. I'm sure I could manage to snag the same husband, but the butterfly effect would seem to eliminate the possibility of the same eggs and sperm meeting. If I could somehow get a guarantee of the same kids I would go for it.

Unlike many posters I am not put off by having to spend all that time as a kid. I was always the kind of kid who sought out the companionship of adults. A second time around I would just be better at camouflaging myself as a kid.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:28 PM

Nah. There are moments I wish I could do over, but it's not worth it to go through that awkward stage of adolescence again. And as much as I'd love to relive the fun parts of college & grad school, I'm very grateful that studying and attending class is behind me.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:28 PM

I forgot to mention, the whole "adult brain in a kid's body" thing? When I was a kid, I ALREADY kind of felt that way. I wasn't really terribly interested in kid things or being a kid and I couldn't WAIT to grow up. I spent most of my childhood with my nose in a book anyway, if I did it this way, my books would just be thicker and more interesting.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Pseudolegal

In addition to the downsides that have already been mentioned, I can't really imagine having all the knowledge in my head that I have now, and being stuck up to as much as 17 years before having any kind of online access. I love to read and all that, but I still think I'd be miserable for a long time. And I'm not interested in the least in losing the wife I have now.

If I could choose to take this option when I knew I was at the end of my current life, that'd be different.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:05 PM

I'd do it. I wouldn't change that much, though the lottery option is tempting but I'd like a chance to see my folks happy. I know they were only together because of us kids, and I'd have to go through all the arguments and fights again, but I imagine they'd distress me less with my hindsight than they did as a child. Also would be able to see and quiz family members about family history, and maybe actually REMEMBER them, hehe. It'd be hard, but the avoidance of some things would be worth it.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:09 PM

As some have said, the knowledge you've gained would change the decisions that you would make in this second life. It would quickly branch off from what you remember and you would just end up making new mistakes that you would regret. Assuming that you held off marrying some rich countess and waited for your wife to appear, your accrued lottery winnings would color how that marriage played out. How can you be sure that the exact same sperm and egg will hook up again to produce the children you now have? You can't go home again.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarwater View Post
I want to impress upon you how difficult it can and probably will be living your entire life again. It will be nearly impossible for you to connect with your peers until you reach highchool or beyond. It's almost certainly going to be long and tedious.
So, in other words, exactly like the first time through.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:59 PM

What's the difference between having 24 hours to memorize something and going back with all the memories I have now, including six-digit phone numbers and my old addresses?

In either case, memorizing lottery numbers or riding my tricycle to the nearest college for a debate on existentialism would ensure wealth, as would predictions of the near and more distant future.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member

No, with some hesitation. There are people in my life that I'd rather not have out of my life. For the sake of still having them around, I wouldn't. I could always reconnect with most of them. I mean, they're mostly from the internet. I have a stupid good memory. I'd find them again, but it wouldn't be organic. It wouldn't be real.

The rest of it is tempting, though. Could I avert my friend's suicide? Could I get my mom to leave my dad years earlier? Could I stop myself from marrying the first idiot who came along and asked? Could I keep myself from gaining weight and having to go through the tedious process of weight loss? Could I major in something more useful than English? Maybe. Maybe not.

I guess only two things could possibly make me do it--the chance to avert my friend's suicide, and the chance to not make things wrong with a friend of mine that I badly and unintentionally wronged. But if I started from scratch, I don't know that either of them would be in my life, and though that might fix the second situation, it probably wouldn't fix the first.

Also, living with my dad again would either be Hell, or would be a lot easier than the first time around.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 PM

You've described the fantastically I think about most. The only catch is that one can't have the same kids. You can get the same wife or husband, you can conceive on the same day/hour/minute, but you'll never have the same kid.

Keep your lottery numbers, this time around I'm going to be a rich doctor.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 PM

I'd pay good money not to have to live my whole life over again.

To get to start over again from the age of 18, now that'd be a different story.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I said "Yes with hesitation"

See, my grandmother is failing, at the age of 107. I love her more than anyone except perhaps my parents,

I'd give anything for just a little more time with her, to appreciate more what I had when I was growing up. To go fishing one more time, with my Grandma and Grandpa and my sister's.

It takes the prospect of losing someone to make you appreciate them even more.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Yes too, but instead of investing in Apple I would know what to learn so I would had been recognized as a genius by the time I got to work at Apple.

Or I could had already made enough money to keep MS-DOS away from Bill Gates.

Or, I could had convinced that asshole that now wants to renounce his American citizenship to keep more of his billions to not to join that silly Facebook company.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 05-11-2012 at 10:18 PM..
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanvasShoes View Post
I forgot to mention, the whole "adult brain in a kid's body" thing? When I was a kid, I ALREADY kind of felt that way. I wasn't really terribly interested in kid things or being a kid and I couldn't WAIT to grow up. I spent most of my childhood with my nose in a book anyway, if I did it this way, my books would just be thicker and more interesting.
I was the same, I would trade equestrian arts for perhaps aikido/judo/karate. I would *not* take up cross country skiing so I would not have broken my back and started a lifetime of annoying physical problems. I would have definitely avoided getting pregnant twice, hence avoiding the gestational diabetes that stuck with me and also damaging my kidneys. I could make an effort to hook up with mrAru and avoided 2 abusive relationships in a row. I always comforted myself with the thought that even though they were abusive, I learned some valuable things from both of them - with this offer I don't have to go through them again, I already got my lessons from them

A winning lottery number would be interesting - I know a guy who won a 1 million dollar lottery back in the day in NY - he ended up getting it as an annuity. He had a house he inherited from his grandparents, and the annuity let him basically not work. When I knew him he was an eternal college student. He took whatever classes interested him. He was on his third bachelor's at the time. It might be interesting to be able to own a small house somewhere, and be a perpetual student living on an annuity.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:04 AM

Fuck yeah. Who never wanted to go back and do things different ?
Plus, think of all that extra time ! I already know most of the things they teach in school all the way up to bachelor's degree, don't need to learn how to be socialized or learn how the real world works and don't care to spend any time with retarded teenagers anyhow. That's, like, 18+ straight years of entirely free time without any distractions, or having to work, or having to worry about anything whatsoever. Long time until you get to the good part ? Shit, it's too short a time before you have to get back to the good parts !

The only problematic aspect would be coping with being back under the strict and final authority of parents & teachers, no matter how unreasonable they turn out to be. And possibly freaking them out by starting to masturbate like a motherfuck at 6 months.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:05 AM

I used to think about this a lot, and up until recently I probably would have done it. But there is no way now that I have my little boy, I couldn't chance not making him. (even thought he's why I'm up at this ungodly hour.)
Old 05-12-2012, 03:27 AM

Leaving my partner and child no.

I can think of many things Id do differently, but not so much I would do the whole shemozzle over, let alone lose what I have now for 40+ years. I cant really think of many big decisions I regret, only things I might have helped others with and lots of things that seemed big at the time, but dont so much now.

I guess theres things like warning against 9/11 that might make me feel like I had to ethically, if noone else was going instead.

Otara
Old 05-12-2012, 03:32 AM

Yes, absolutely I would. I think mostly because I'd like the chance to try to affect a few things I had no control over when I was much younger (and one or two I did), and also to seriously try to take advantage of a few opportunities I let slip. Also the whole "quiz the old folks on family history" - I knew people who knew my grandmother's great-grandparents, for chrissake - and those details are long gone now.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

Lets see...Full adult consciousness at about 5 years of age with the knowledge that I currently have and essentially no legal ramifications on what I do until I'm 12 years old...Yeah, sweet!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:58 AM

Not a chance. My life isn't perfect but I'm pretty damned happy with it and the people in it. I wouldn't risk that for the possibility of changing just a few things.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:

So what do you think? Would you do it? And what, exactly, would you do if you could?
I have one question: Assuming I married the same girl, would I get the same children as I have now? Or would I get a different genetic shuffle, so to speak?
Old 05-12-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazil84 View Post
I have one question: Assuming I married the same girl, would I get the same children as I have now? Or would I get a different genetic shuffle, so to speak?
You're getting a new shuffle. It's possible that you would get the same children, but not probable. The shadowy agency can't give you odds on something like that. If you're desperate about keeping your children the way they exist now, you're better off not taking the offer.

You can hedge your bets and try to conceive on the same day, the same hour, and the same minute as you did in your present history, but whether that results in an identical child is up in the air. The shadowy agency likes to think that it would improve the likelihood, but they're not going to give you a guarantee. They're experts in time-travel, not biological reproduction. And then there's the whole nature-versus-nurture conundrum, which is so complex and mysterious and which raises so many philosophical questions, that for the shadowy agency to even attempt to put forth a reasonable answer, they would first need to spend an inordinate amount of time researching the subject.

They have better things to do than that. And ultimately, they remind you, life is a variegate thing and you take your chances just like everybody else. What's the old bromide? Life doesn't come with a guarantee?

And beside, isn't it possible (nay, even likely) that you would grow to cherish and love any children you would have your second-time around, even if they didn't conform to your expectations?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
You're getting a new shuffle. It's possible that you would get the same children, but not probable. The shadowy agency can't give you odds on something like that. If you're desperate about keeping your children the way they exist now, you're better off not taking the offer.
Then as of today, I would probably pass. ETA: I imagine that most parents would feel the same way.

Although it would be pretty sweet to get a chance to re-live life with all of one's accumulated knowledge and experience.

My view would change if there was some terrible disaster like the Holocaust which I would be able to prevent from happening.

Last edited by brazil84; 05-12-2012 at 06:03 AM..
Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 AM

For myself, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I was a misfit child to begin with, I started kindergarten early, then skipped another grade, so I was always chronologically younger than all of my peers while still being more suited to conversation, in terms of interest and understanding, with adults. And this time around I'd have the knowledge and understanding to get the grades that went along with the prodigy status.

And getting to relive and reclaim the years with my dad -- especially now with my knowledge of his other, secret family -- and maybe fix that, and to have the years with my mom and grandparents again, too. That'd be great.

Knowing what relationships were worth seeking out again, and cultivating, and which were a waste of time? Priceless. Yes, bring it on.

My only hesitation is over this: what would happen to the events that I set in motion in this lifetime, and events in which my role made a meaningful difference? What about things I could subvert? It's one thing for my memories and knowledge to be intact, but with them, I'd make different choices.

Could Tumbleddown Rebooted change the course of her everything by pushing her dad to the go the ER on the morning of May 10, 1984 version 2.0, throwing a complete brat fit, refusing to go to school, calling 911 herself if need be, so that he didn't die on the kitchen floor that night from what may have been a preventable embolism? How does it effect ~50 year old Tumbleddown Rebooted (in the body of an 11 year old) if she does all that and her dad dies anyway?

Does the friend I probably wouldn't have in v2.0 die because someone without my sense of direction is on the phone with the rural ambulance service, explaining how to get to where he was having an intractable asthma attack?

I wouldn't attend the college I went to if I got a chance to relive my life. But I introduced two couples that got married and are still together with 7 kids between them. Would they all have their lives?

That's a lot of responsibility to put on my shoulders, you know?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:07 AM

The main thing that makes me think twice at all (and still not enough to seriously hesitate) are the years spent before the internet appears. Those would be kind of frustrating.

But there's so many things I could do better. Physically, I could stay active and not let myself get out of shape, something I'm still trying to resolve today (I used to participate in triathalons, and could have maintained a reasonable level of fitness). I could learn to be much less socially awkward, because I could start again with a focus on actually learning how to interact with people - and instead of avoiding interaction, I'd intentionally seek it out. I could work out other personal issues in a much more proactive manner, knowing the things that would be important later in life.

I could, of course, make a great deal of money by buying the right stocks, etc, setting myself up so I don't have to work. The 24 hours to memorize thing is unnecessary (I'm sure even with my lack of specific knowledge there are any number of ways I could get rich with my general knowledge alone) but would be appreciated in that regard, as I could memorize a few specific dates and such to buy/sell stock on to maximize my gains. The moment I 'appeared' I'd write down as much as I could and keep it safe.

I'm not sure how many waves I'd want to make, though - I don't know if I'd want to try to directly influence a lot of the technology that's developed. I'd be afraid of 'ruining' something. I don't know enough about the stuff to develop it myself (I suppose I could go into the right fields to do the development personally, but that doesn't really interest me so much) so I'd want to minimize the chances of something I do resulting in, say, Google never existing.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemnosyne View Post
...so I'd want to minimize the chances of something I do resulting in, say, Google never existing.
Yes, it could be called 'Mnemnosyne' instead. Not as catchy, granted.
Or 'Mnemnosyne Book', or you get my drift.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Yes, with a great deal of hesitation. The chance to start over with an adult's more level-headed approach to the world is a pretty heady inducement ( not to mention the near-guaranteed life of relative comfort and success ).

But I'd truly be worried that it would turn out to be a de facto Monkey's Paw sort of deal. The potential loss of cherished relationships is one thing. But even beyond that as others have alluded I think there is a real possibility that an adult mind trapped in a toddler's body might actually cause me to go insane over a period of time. Or at least fuck me up badly, enough to cripple me emotionally in some way. I think I'm very level-headed and sane generally, but I just can't predict how hellish that situation could turn out to be. Maybe not at all - maybe I'd have a blast from the get go. But it is a worrisome thought.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 05-12-2012 at 09:37 PM..
Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 PM

Hell no.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeps With Butterflies View Post
Not a chance. My life isn't perfect but I'm pretty damned happy with it and the people in it. I wouldn't risk that for the possibility of changing just a few things.
To clarify, I agree with this. My experiences, good and bad, made me who I am and brought me to this place in my life. I wouldn't trade that (and especially not my husband and kids) for anything.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:38 PM

No, I wouldn't do it. Sure there are a lot of things I wish I could have changed at the time if the result would still lead me here, to the happy life I have now.

I would have let the childhood sweetheart move to New York with her parents and just said goodby. Instead I followed, came back home and she followed me. We got married and discovered we were just young and didn't really have much in common or any common goals. A big waste of time, but what would I have done instead?

I would have avoided the second wife like the plague. Unfaithful drug addict who left me with 2 young boys to raise alone. But then I wouldn't have the fine sons I have now, so would I have suffered through it all knowing the eventual outcome? Or not have 2 of the most important people in my life exist? I'd have to go through it all again anyway.

And I couldn't just skip ahead to my current, wonderful wife because she was 4 years old when I started college. People would talk and stare.

There are many other regrets I wish I could fix, but each step alters the path you are on. I don't know where I would be if I fixed all the mis-steps, but it wouldn't be here, and I like it here.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:43 PM

I was about to post a similar poll, but its title was, "If you could avoid a devastating train wreck, would you do it?"
Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely.I'd probably land in "me" aged 5 yrs at the start of my kindergarten class. Orange and brown wide stripped shirt, sitting on the carpet of Mrs. Buckovic's class. I'd grab some paper and write down the pertinent information. It'd take some time to set things into motion. There were no multimillion dollar lotteries in 1975, so I'd have to bide my time. When the moment is right, I'd plunk my dollar down for that ticket. Take the winnings and put them into the appropriate stocks.

Once I had myself set and my family paid off to leave me alone (and told my mother to head the cancer that would claim her in 1986 off at the pass) I'd head south.

I know where my husband grew up. I've visited his childhood home many times. His family loves me now, so I know I'd be able to charm them at a younger age... If I could have skipped some of the mistakes of my youth and got to be with the love of my life 10 years earlier than fate brought us together in this timeline? Yes. Without hesitation.