The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 PM

Fucking "You've probably never heard of it" smug bullshit!

I just saw a documentary on scopolamine which opened with "you've probably never heard of this drug" oh wow you little smug shitface you're so educated!

It started with hipster shit, and is now invading the English language in general. In articles and real life everyone is showing their smug superiority, "oh you've probably never had Indian food"

Fuck you smug bullshit!
Advertisements  
Old 05-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Did they mention Crippen?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:14 PM

Actually I hated the saying "youve probably never heard of it" way before you hated it. I don't really hate it anymore except to be ironic. But back in the day, like around 2011, it was pretty hardcore to hate it. Now it's gone mainstream though. But I did before it was.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:16 PM

Funny, I just saw a documentary on scopolamine also. (Must be a different one, because it did not open with "you've probably never heard of this drug") But anyways, I think you're overreacting. There's a difference between a hipster saying "Yeah my favorite band is X, you've probably never heard of them" (insinuating that they have a very specific unique taste in music superior to your own) and a documentary talking about a subject that most likely most people truly have never heard of. (Unless you think said documentary is making a personal jab at your knowledge of chemistry). I don't think it's smug to acknowledge how rare something is, especially in a non personal broadcast documentary.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Cool story. There's this thing called subtlety though - you've probably never heard of it.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtar KronJonDerSohn View Post
Actually I hated the saying "youve probably never heard of it" way before you hated it. I don't really hate it anymore except to be ironic. But back in the day, like around 2011, it was pretty hardcore to hate it. Now it's gone mainstream though. But I did before it was.
I see what you did there.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
I just saw a documentary on scopolamine which opened with "you've probably never heard of this drug" oh wow you little smug shitface you're so educated!

It started with hipster shit, and is now invading the English language in general. In articles and real life everyone is showing their smug superiority, "oh you've probably never had Indian food"

Fuck you smug bullshit!
The documentary from Vice.com? I saw that too. From what I can gather the documentary presents a load of bullshit about the drug's effects.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtar KronJonDerSohn View Post
I used to use irony. Back when it meant something. But nowadays everyone's being ironic. So all of us cool people have started using hyperbole instead and it's like the greatest thing in the entire universe.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Moved MPSIMS --> the Pit. (You've probably never heard of it.)
Old 05-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Well, now that we're in the Pit, I'm going to be So Bitchin' Post-Meta-Ironic that I'll be in my room, listening to N*Sync and playing Hungry Hungry Hippos because I actually like it.

(Actually, the Real Life version of me is in a hipster coffee joint right now, with my laptop and a copy of The Hardy Boys* that I'm enjoying non-post-ironically)

*in case you haven't heard of them...
Old 05-12-2012, 02:16 PM

Where are you from son?
Madison City, Missouri sir!
Never heard of it.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:32 PM
BANNED

So a hipster goes to a doctor for his test results. The doctor tells him "You've got a very rare disease. You've probably never heard of it."
Old 05-12-2012, 02:39 PM

How can anyone not have heard of scopolamine? It's been a plot device on every mystery show on TV for the past year. The penultimate episode of Castle highlighted as The Zombie Drug.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:55 PM

Q: How many hipsters does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: It's a really obscure number; you've probably never heard of it.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Hipster Cat has heard of scopolamine.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM

How did the hipster burn his mouth?

SPOILER:
he was eating pizza before it was cool.

ETA: I actually used to go over to friend's apartment and dink beer and play HUngry Hungry Hippos. Way before it was cool, assuming it is or ever was.

Last edited by saoirse; 05-12-2012 at 03:03 PM..
Old 05-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's Grandmother View Post
How can anyone not have heard of scopolamine? It's been a plot device on every mystery show on TV for the past year. The penultimate episode of Castle highlighted as The Zombie Drug.
I only watched the first season of Castle. I stopped watching when it sold out by getting renewed.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
I just saw a documentary on scopolamine which opened with "you've probably never heard of this drug" : oh wow you little smug shitface you're so educated!

It started with hipster shit, and is now invading the English language in general. In articles and real life everyone is showing their smug superiority, "oh you've probably never had Indian food" :

Fuck you smug bullshit!
I haven't come across that particular obnoxious phrase, but it fits in nicely with my hatred of "it's a __________ thing, you wouldn't understand".

We need a fist-shaking smiley dude, it would go well here.

Last edited by saje; 05-12-2012 at 03:40 PM..
Old 05-12-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I used to use irony. Back when it meant something. But nowadays everyone's being ironic. So all of us cool people have started using hyperbole instead and it's like the greatest thing in the entire universe.
Oh, man, hyperbole just made its way to NY? That's something else...I remember back in 2008 when it seemed like the new thing. Around here, we go for ironic hyperbole these days, and it's the coolest thing since Hanson.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:04 PM

These people must be related to those (also annoying) people who like to use fake secret agent talk - "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you"... "don't call us, we'll call you'", etc, etc...
Old 05-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Did they mention Crippen?
[continuing tangent] He was quite possibly innocent, y'know. [/continuing tangent]

And I usually assume people never heard of things, but I leave it to them to Google it their own damn selves.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

I use "you've probably never heard of it," all the time. Mainly around deaf people because I'm an asshole.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Ftttt. I was a big fan of Scopalamine back when it was still working with Atropine, as part of the original "Belladonna."

Scopalamine's solo work is commercial crap; Atropine really had all the soul of the pair.

:{
Old 05-13-2012, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse View Post

SPOILER:
This one's going in the joke bank.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:51 AM

Huh. I've never heard of the phrase "you've probably never heard of it."

You must be watching the wrong documentaries. The ones I watch would never say that, but you've probably never heard of them.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:38 AM

To the OP: I think you might be a bit over-sensitive. I mean, the rest of us just can't win! I once taught a class (first- and second-year college students). Half my teacher evaluation comments were "The teacher shouldn't assume we know so much...", and the other half were "The teacher shouldn't say 'You might not know this...', because it's insulting...of course we know it.". !!!

In other words, when someone says somthing like that, nine times out of ten it's because they're trying to be nice, and not make you think that they assume everyone knows or cares about exactly the same things. The one time out of ten they're really being a jerk, you can hear that in the tone of their voice -- "duh, I'm SURE you don't know this, AND that makes you a bad person compared to me".

If you're getting that vibe more than 10% of the time someone says something like this to you, then either: 1. You hang out with assholes, or 2. You have some insecurities.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:42 AM

How about saying "well, you probably know this already but... (launch into spiel)".

Politeness and education in one!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady View Post
Huh. I've never heard of the phrase "you've probably never heard of it."

You must be watching the wrong documentaries. The ones I watch would never say that, but you've probably never heard of them.
The ones I watch use the phrase, "You know, you're soaking in it."
Old 05-13-2012, 07:11 AM

I hated everybody and everything that all of you ever hated, but I hated them before you hated them and for obscure reasons you wouldn't appreciate. I was like the James Brown of hating. Now that you all hate, I have passed into a post-hatred ennui where I observe you hating with a certain bored weariness. The irony of this is that I hate myself for being the trailblazer who first made hating cool. I was going to go with codpieces, but at the last moment chose hatred.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:17 AM

I once met a proto-hipster: he was into being into things before everyone else, before everyone else was. *

Seriously though, I really did meet a guy who was very wrapped up in himself who studied neuro-linguistics and, I think, linguistic relativity. Anyway, he was awfully pleased with himself about this, and he basically said "you've never heard of it". I said "you mean like Benjamin Lee Whorf and the Whorf-Sapir hypothesis?" (which I'd read up on in a seminar in college). It was priceless to see him deflate.

* It's a pity he wasn't from Buffalo.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:

SPOILER:

ETA: I actually used to go over to friend's apartment and dink beer and play HUngry Hungry Hippos. Way before it was cool, assuming it is or ever was.
Okay, I laughed. How about this one?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post
Seriously though, I really did meet a guy who was very wrapped up in himself who studied neuro-linguistics and, I think, linguistic relativity. Anyway, he was awfully pleased with himself about this, and he basically said "you've never heard of it". I said "you mean like Benjamin Lee Whorf and the Whorf-Sapir hypothesis?" (which I'd read up on in a seminar in college). It was priceless to see him deflate.
Boy, if life were only like this.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:51 AM

I used to be totally into the Kennebec River, but now it's all Maine stream.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:23 PM

I always thought it came from news reports. "You've probably never heard of X, but you eat it every day, and it can kill you! Tune in at 11 for a special report."
Old 05-13-2012, 12:31 PM

When someone says to me "you've probably never heard of it" I immediately feel very neutral and think to myself "I've probably never heard of it, which means it must not be well known to the majority of the population"
Old 05-13-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd View Post
Ftttt. I was a big fan of Scopalamine back when it was still working with Atropine, as part of the original "Belladonna."

Scopalamine's solo work is commercial crap; Atropine really had all the soul of the pair.

:{
<Golf clap>
That was absolutely brilliant!
Old 05-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's Grandmother View Post
Never heard of it myself.

Anyhow, like RaftPeople, I don't think of anything negative when that phrase comes up. It probably is something I don't know and, if it's not, then the speaker and I suddenly have conversational fodder, as we both happen to be into the same esoterica.

The only time a phrase similar to that has tripped me up was in an undergraduate introductory cognitive science course. Most of the students were freshmen and sophomores, and the class historically was a fairly manageable one in terms of difficulty. It had no prerequisites. It was a typical distro (distribution requirements class.) Our class was taught by a new teacher who apparently had no concept of the level of students he was teaching to when one of his lectures began with "I don't know how many of you have studied neurolinguistics..." and then went on to give a lecture filled with jargon and scientific terms I had never heard of. I would have preferred he thought we were idiots. Needless to say, I dropped that class.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
I was seriously LOL'ing in the quarry on that one.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saje View Post
How about saying "well, you probably know this already but... (launch into spiel)".

Politeness and education in one!
That's not politeness, that's obnoxious. If I already know it, I don't need to hear you babbling on about it, do I? If I don't, you've just made me feel like an idiot because I don't know something that's apparently so common you'd assume I did know.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
We actually use that image at work to describe one of our coworkers. She'll walk in in the morning with her big fake hipster glasses and scarf and we all just look at each other and start laughing. She knows about it though and it embraces it. I also enjoy pulling Hipster Ariel on her since she does some design.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahcim View Post
Reported.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahcim View Post
That is truly bad
Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post
* It's a pity he wasn't from Buffalo.
I'm originally from Buffalo. He probably wouldn't like it.

Last edited by elmwood; 05-14-2012 at 09:42 AM..
Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 AM

Seriously, the OP is way over-sensitive here. If it's in a documentary, maybe they're underestimating their audience, but it's probably not intended to be smug. The whole point of the documentary is to teach other people about something whereas the whole "you've probably never heard of it" is about feeling superior because you know something that other people don't. I'm against that attitude in general because I feel like knowledge exists to be shared. When I do end up talking about something that people probably haven't heard of, rather than just stating that they probably haven't heard of it, I'll ask them if they're familiar with it so I can gauge how much I need to fill in. It is funny when people are saying it seriously and it turns out to be a band with radio singles or a show on broadcast television.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:50 PM

This makes me think of the Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles" when the obnoxious bureaucrat tells Kirk, "I wouldn't expect you or your science officer to know what it is, but quadrotricale..." Spock interrupts to define it and begins to describe its origins until Kirk stops him.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
To the OP: I think you might be a bit over-sensitive. I mean, the rest of us just can't win! I once taught a class (first- and second-year college students). Half my teacher evaluation comments were "The teacher shouldn't assume we know so much...", and the other half were "The teacher shouldn't say 'You might not know this...', because it's insulting...of course we know it.". !!!

In other words, when someone says somthing like that, nine times out of ten it's because they're trying to be nice, and not make you think that they assume everyone knows or cares about exactly the same things. The one time out of ten they're really being a jerk, you can hear that in the tone of their voice -- "duh, I'm SURE you don't know this, AND that makes you a bad person compared to me".

If you're getting that vibe more than 10% of the time someone says something like this to you, then either: 1. You hang out with assholes, or 2. You have some insecurities.
I was going to post the same thing. When someone says that they usually are not trying to be smug but to make you feel ok about not knowing about it.

Reminds me of Bill Engval (comedian) with his "Here's your sign" jokes...where the sign says you are stupid. Things like sitting by a smoking car and someone says "Having car problems?". They aren't being stupid...they are just starting a conversation.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:

SPOILER:

How do you dink beer? I've never heard of that so it must be cool !
Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushiel View Post
We actually use that image at work to describe one of our coworkers. She'll walk in in the morning with her big fake hipster glasses and scarf and we all just look at each other and start laughing. She knows about it though and it embraces it. I also enjoy pulling Hipster Ariel on her since she does some design.
Hey, try teaching at an Art School. Hipster is the default. I was chatting with a half dozen kids, and I laughed about being the only one without "huge hipster Buddy Holly glasses". At which point one of them whipped his glasses into his pocket, and the others followed suit. "What? Hipster glasses? We know not of which you speak, stranger."
Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 PM

You want attitude?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:31 AM

I was a huge fan of Pauly Shore long before it was cool to be so.