The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 05-12-2012, 02:07 PM

A New Foster Dog

As I posted last week, my old Papillon girl passed away a week ago tonight, and a friend that volunteers for our animal control emailed me last night about a tiny little Papillon mix that was brought in as a stray.

Of course, I had to go look at her today; she is a tiny little scrap of a dog that weighs MAYBE 3 lbs. She is terribly skinny, has no teeth and her nails are curled under. Animal control normally holds strays 7 days to be claimed, but since I am friends with the manager of the shelter, she is allowing me to pick her up at closing today and do the 7 day hold in my home, the poor little thing is so terrified.

I did get a bit of tail wag from her when we visited. I will be fostering her and possibly adopting. She needs a loving home to live out her final days.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/PapSett/PapX.png

Part of me hopes that her owner reclaims her, but the other part says that her owner didn't do a very good job of taking care of her.

People suck sometime.
Advertisements  
Old 05-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

What a sweetie. I hope you get to keep her since I agree that her owner didn't do well by her and I know you will.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

PapSett - Isn't it amazing how things work out? I hope that this new dog's owners don't claim her. It's obvious they don't deserve her.

StG
Old 05-12-2012, 03:06 PM

Aww bless, hope you do get to keep her.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:17 PM

Thanks guys... I am gona need all the moral support I can get with this. The LAST thing on earth I need right now is an elderly little dog with no teeth... but I culdn't leave her there. I just couldn't.

I just know if it was MY elderly little dog lost out on the street somewhere, I would be out moving heaven and earth to find her. No one has even called Animal Control to see if she had been picked up. What in the name of all that's holy is WRONG with people???

She looks like a Macee to me. :-)
Old 05-12-2012, 04:05 PM

It takes a long a time for a dog's nails to grow so that they're curled under. Months even. If her owners do call, tell them she ran away again. Then give her an extra spoonful of gooshy food, just cause.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:50 PM

Don't worry about the old part - you never know how long they'll stick around with love and care. I took in one cat off the street who looked a lot like those Egyptian mummified cats - just barely over 4 pounds, what few teeth he had were totally rotten, fur matted or missing, paw pads hard as rocks. I took him to the vet expecting to be told the worst, and after running tests, the vet (who woudn't even venture to guess at an age) said he was actually pretty healthy under all that, and might live another six months. We got the rest of his poor teeth pulled, gave him a flea bath and took him home, where he lived another two years before passing away quietly.

Since then we've taking in a few other elderly cats, some of whom lived years, some only a few weeks, but it's all been good. I don't mind being a retirement home.

Enjoy the little girl and make her time happy. Then later maybe get a puppy again.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapSett View Post
I just know if it was MY elderly little dog lost out on the street somewhere, I would be out moving heaven and earth to find her. No one has even called Animal Control to see if she had been picked up. What in the name of all that's holy is WRONG with people???

She looks like a Macee to me. :-)
We don't actually care about "your little dog, too", maybe? I did move "heaven and earth" when my "Puddin' (a mere cat)" was lost. But I didn't expect anyone else to care. You do. Why?

I had a senile cat. I never thought they got senile, but when he did, I informed his vet. When it became necessary, I had the vet come out and whack him. My vet cried as much as I did, but he got whacked (I've got a good vet) anyway. I whacked one with a shotgun, when it needed to be done, and pulling the trigger was the hardest thing I've ever done. But I did it. And cried afterward.

I'm not inclined to cry when you encounter that situation. You are not a "speshul snowflake", despite what you may believe. They get old, they die. They get lost, they die. It happens. Get over it. Posting about it on a message board like this is useless, in terms of actually finding them. It's only useful in getting {{{hugs}}}, which I'm not inclined to give. If you wanted {{hugs}}, you maybe came to the wrong message board. [/end rant]
Old 05-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Just a small update: Macee is home and bathed. she is exploring everything and pottied outside like a good girl. She is a sweetheart and loves to be held. I am thinking Chihuahua/Papillon cross... she is the tiniest little thing I have ever seen!

She's not even really afraid of my Gordons, although their heads are bigger than she is. Literally.

She won't eat dog food tho; she did scarf down a Chicken McNugget, but won't touch the dog food. She is so very thin, she has to be starving. Will keep y'all updated.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Human View Post
We don't actually care about "your little dog, too", maybe? I did move "heaven and earth" when my "Puddin' (a mere cat)" was lost. But I didn't expect anyone else to care. You do. Why?

I had a senile cat. I never thought they got senile, but when he did, I informed his vet. When it became necessary, I had the vet come out and whack him. My vet cried as much as I did, but he got whacked (I've got a good vet) anyway. I whacked one with a shotgun, when it needed to be done, and pulling the trigger was the hardest thing I've ever done. But I did it. And cried afterward.

I'm not inclined to cry when you encounter that situation. You are not a "speshul snowflake", despite what you may believe. They get old, they die. They get lost, they die. It happens. Get over it. Posting about it on a message board like this is useless, in terms of actually finding them. It's only useful in getting {{{hugs}}}, which I'm not inclined to give. If you wanted {{hugs}}, you maybe came to the wrong message board. [/end rant]

WTF??? If yoiu don't care about animals maybe you need to stay out of the pet threads, umkay? There is no reason to be dickish simply because I am trying to do a good thing.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the thread. It was hard to read your previous thread about the passing of your papillon, as my parents had two papillons as family pets. One was my dad's dog, one was my mom's. The first (my mom's) passed away two summers ago I think, with me in a different state. It was very expected though -- she lived longer than we thought she would, had a sudden bad seizure, and the decision was made.

The other is two years younger. So it will be her time soon as well. It's going to be hard when I visit in Thanksgiving, since unless something unexpected happens, that will be the last time I see her. But I try not to think about that much.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
WTF??? If yoiu don't care about animals maybe you need to stay out of the pet threads, umkay? There is no reason to be dickish simply because I am trying to do a good thing.
Maybe you missed where I did say "I did move "heaven and earth" when my "Puddin' (a mere cat)" was lost."

Your problem, here, seems to be with the idea "I don't give a shit about your mutt (or maybe you)." You equate it with the idea "I don't give a shit about mutts (in general)", which wasn't what I said. Maybe you need to learn to read for comprehension, here.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Rich as a Lannister

Moderator Note

Cheshire Human, your sneering has no place here. If you have a problem with Papsett, you need to take it to the Pit.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:42 PM

Thank you Ellen Cherry. I have no idea what I did to deserve being targeted for trying to do a good thing. This little dog certainly does not deserve the ignorant distain being dished out.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Pay no attention to what Ellen correctly noted is "sneering." You are doing a good thing. I know that little dog feels a lot better today because of you.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 PM

Thank you so much. She seems contented, sleeping on what I call the 'bunk bed'- plastic craft boxes stacked under my computer table with pillows on them. All my dogs and cats love sleeping there. She wags her little tail when she sees me. :-)
Old 05-13-2012, 12:19 AM

I sure wish there were more people in this world that felt the way you do. it is filled with selfishness and cruelty, and I wish there were more people like you. I am involved in rescue and you are
Old 05-13-2012, 12:22 AM

one of us - welcome to a small but wonderful club. I bet this won't be the last one you take in, helping animals is addictive
Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Human View Post
I've started a Pit Thread just for you.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

Good on you! That sweet-faced little darling is going to blossom in your care. I bet inside of a month she'll be a different -- much happier and healthier -- dog!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 AM

Lost in Cyberspace, I am already invoilved in rescue, too, I volunteer for a local horse rescue and drive transpor for Above & Beyond Setter Rescue. Helping animals really IS addictive. I do whatever I can. I have also fostered a couple of dogs in the past, but if not claimed, this little wee scrap is here for the rest of her life. :-)
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 AM

Good job helping that little pooch out. Unfortunately there are so many elderly animals who don't get a second chance once they end up in the shelter. That little guy is very lucky to have you.
Actually, since the former owner wasn't taking good care of the dog, I wonder if the dog's teeth rotted prematurely from poor diet. It might not be as old as the rotten teeth would make it seem.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 AM

That's certainly possible, lavenderviolet. She just seems so frail, you can feel every bone in her tiny body. Once the 7 days is up and I know if I get to keep her, I will get her into the vet.

She's been a very good little girl so far, potties outside, is starting to be interested in food and even invited my 2 little dogs to play a bit. She is very curious about everything. She's just so TINY... I don't think I have ever seen an adult dog this small.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
She won't eat dog food tho; she did scarf down a Chicken McNugget, but won't touch the dog food. She is so very thin, she has to be starving. Will keep y'all updated.
How is she supposed to eat with no teeth though?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
Canned, or moistened-to-soft kibble.

PapSett, how many dogfoods have you tried so far? My cats will scarf down some wet brands but try to bury others rather than choke them down. Dogs strike me as less picky-choosy, but perhaps you just haven't found the right flavor yet.

Or it could be that her system's so messed up from long neglect and starvation that she just can't handle much right now, poor thing. Or maybe an occasional chicken nugget flung her way was the only food she'd seen for so long, she doesn't even recognize real dogfood.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:05 AM

Have your tried tempting her with toddler mashed meat & veg? Might spark her appetite if it's been a while since she's eaten anything other than what she could scrounge. I force hand-fed one of mine who came to me starved and sick for about a week until he started eating on his own.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Lost in Cyberspace, I am already invoilved in rescue, too, I volunteer for a local horse rescue and drive transpor for Above & Beyond Setter Rescue. Helping animals really IS addictive. I do whatever I can. I have also fostered a couple of dogs in the past, but if not claimed, this little wee scrap is here for the rest of her life. :-)
YEA!!!! love to hear when people are involved or even adopt a rescue animal. I'm sure hoping nobody claims her .....
Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 AM

I am happy to report that she was much more interested in food today; she ate some canned food & cottage cheese, then gummed a little kibble, and then had some scrambled eggs. She has a long row to hoe, but she's on the right path now. :-)
Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
My cat has some teeth problems that are going to result in her not having many teeth left, and when I was talking to the vet about it, he was not concerned; he said that cats do fine without teeth - they eat wet food, and even dry food somehow. I would assume dogs are the same.

Good for you for taking the tiny little old lady in, PapSett.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 PM

PapSett

I have fostered a couple of seniors who were in similar positions to what you have. Older dogs found emaciated on the streets, usually with horrible teeth and maybe a secondary health condition like arthritis. Some were adopted out after a bit of TLC, some just used my home as a retirement facility before they passed on, but all are very special to me.

Love them while you can.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 PM

Hi Minnie... yes, the seniors touch my heart like no others. She toddles all over the house at my heel now, giving me sweet little tail wags. I hope whoever let her get in this shape rots in Hell.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:02 PM

What she lacks in teeth she makes up for in ears! She's adorable, PapSett and you've done a really nice thing!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:07 PM

PapSett, don't listen to chesire inhuman. You are doing a wonderful thing. People like you make the world a better place, and I admire your efforts.

She sounds like a sweet lil thing and looks like a Rose to me. People who never have their pet's vetted tick me right off.

I've taken in a few elderly cats with badly rotten teeth. Once they recovered from having their teeth pulled, they would happily gum their kibble.

I don't know a lot about dogs, I'm not set up for them, but the dog ladies at rescue tell me that small dogs are often used to eating nothing but people food and it takes time to get them on a proper diet.

I hope you get to keep her and I hope that you have years of joy together.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 AM

Thanks guys.

I just wanted to give a little update on wee Macee. I gave her 4 small meals yesterday and today she doesn't feel QUITE as frail and boney. She is following me all over the house with a wagging tail, and she even RAN a little in the yard yesterday!

She is a very happy little dog and I am growing quite fond of her. It will not break my heart if she is not claimed. :-)
Old 05-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Oh, that's wonderful news! I hope very much she's never claimed by anybody but you.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:52 PM

After I posrted that update, I decided to tackle cutting her nails and she just sat there and allowed me to do it. She is walking MUCH better now... prancing, even. :-)

Trying not to get overly attached to her until that 7 day hold is up.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Yay Macee! My fingers are crossed that she won't get claimed by anyone else, either.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

PapSett - Will the county definitely give her back if the original neglectful owners if they showed up? It might be a good idea to take her to the vet and get a record of her condition.

StG
Old 05-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
PapSett - Will the county definitely give her back if the original neglectful owners if they showed up? It might be a good idea to take her to the vet and get a record of her condition.

StG
I second the motion.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Oh, I have to mention something that made me absolutely fume this weekend. I had my occasional handyman out to do some work (repair a porch, weed eat fencelines, rebuild me dogs' ramp to the dog door). He brought his 12 year old nephew with him. He has temporary custody of the kid. The kid is useless as a worker, but he plays with the dogs. I have to yell at him for chasing Irish and trying to corner him, but over all he's good. After about 6 hours I see him holding an insulated wire that's attached to the hotwire I have surrounding my yard. It keeps the dogs from digging under. After playing with hte dogs for hours, he was enticing the dogs with a toy until they came to play with him. Then he'd shock them with the hotwire hidden in his other hand.

I told him if I ever caught him torturing my dogs again, I'd make him hold the hotwire until he screamed.

StG
Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Oh, I have to mention something that made me absolutely fume this weekend. I had my occasional handyman out to do some work (repair a porch, weed eat fencelines, rebuild me dogs' ramp to the dog door). He brought his 12 year old nephew with him. He has temporary custody of the kid. The kid is useless as a worker, but he plays with the dogs. I have to yell at him for chasing Irish and trying to corner him, but over all he's good. After about 6 hours I see him holding an insulated wire that's attached to the hotwire I have surrounding my yard. It keeps the dogs from digging under. After playing with hte dogs for hours, he was enticing the dogs with a toy until they came to play with him. Then he'd shock them with the hotwire hidden in his other hand.

I told him if I ever caught him torturing my dogs again, I'd make him hold the hotwire until he screamed.

StG
I hope you told his uncle what he was doing. He sounds like a sociopath-in-training or worse.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:25 AM

Yeah, unfortunately, she is someone's 'possession' and if she is claimed there would be nothing I could do to stop it. Just hoping she isn't. Her little personality is emerging and she is so darned sweet!

StG... I am speechless. No idea what I would have done, but I think you probably handled it better than I would have.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:30 PM

My guess: tracking down her lost dog will be too much work and effort. She won't bother, and PapSett will wind up keeping the little pooch (yay!) and the original owner will just acquire a new "possession" (boo!).
Old 05-15-2012, 05:55 PM

My guess: her shitty former owners are the ones who took her to the shelter claiming she was stray because they no longer wanted to deal with her.

This happens all the time at the shelter I volunteer at. People who surrender their dogs pay a fine. There is no fine for surrendering a stray.

I'm so glad this wee one has your to look after her PapSett.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:01 PM

I had never even considered that the person that brought her in might actually be her owner... I guess because my mind doesn't work that way.

I seriously don't think the little thing has ever had her nails clipped... one of them was DOUBLE CURLED back upon itself. I am still working on that one to try and get it corrected and will probably have to have the vet do it; I can't even get the clippers in to cut it like it should be.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

PapSett - The week for the owner to claim is up. Is she yours??

StG
Old 05-19-2012, 05:18 PM

She is MINE. No one even called to ask about her. I will go Monday to do the final paperwork. Her little personality is emerging more with every passing day. I got my first kiss from her yesterday. :-)
Old 05-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

*does happy dance*
Old 05-19-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
She is MINE. No one even called to ask about her. I will go Monday to do the final paperwork. Her little personality is emerging more with every passing day. I got my first kiss from her yesterday. :-)
I'm so glad!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:37 PM

Those may be the most fabulous ears I've ever seen. She's adorable, PapSett, congrats on the new family member, and good for you for rescuing this girl.