The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > About This Message Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Peter Morris Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ___\o/___(\___
Posts: 9,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
As has been pointed out upthread, there is value in having a dearth of information on the net for those on the fence
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
Nah, there would still be an inadequate supply.
Just to clarify, did you really mean to tell us that "there is value in having an inadequate supply of information on the net," or did you misspeak?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #102  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Shodan Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 25,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
But... having them around as chew toys is fun. We can stroke our ego, be all high and mighty, even the worst of us can stand on top of the pile-on and say "truly, I am a better person than this poster."

And then ban them when we tire of them.
Basically, this.

The "insta-ban Nazis" idea seems pretty much a solution in search of a problem. The current process of
  • Neo-Nazi shows up
  • he posts some tripe denying the Holocaust
  • Dopers pile on
  • We either bait him into breaking the rules, or he does it on his own
  • he gets banned.
seems to work pretty smoothly.

I suppose I could add
  • Banned Nazi goes off and tells his Internet friends "I was banned because they just can't handle the Truth"
but he would do that anyway.

Regards,
Shodan
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Sparky812 Sparky812 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Great White North
Posts: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
As has been pointed out upthread, there is value in having a dearth of information on the net for those on the fence or just a place that comes up on a search that shows intelligent refutations of these idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Just to clarify, did you really mean to tell us that "there is value in having an inadequate supply of information on the net," or did you misspeak?

I don't see the confusion here, if may paraphrase, what PlainJain is suggesting is that there is value in a shortage of information pertaining to pro-Nazi, Holocaust denier, etc. as well as a benefit in having sources, such as SDMB threads refuting those views, show up in a web search on those topics.

We all know there's more than an adequate supply of information on the net, but it's not all true.

Last edited by Sparky812; 05-09-2012 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 39,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
But... having them around as chew toys is fun. We can stroke our ego, be all high and mighty, even the worst of us can stand on top of the pile-on and say "truly, I am a better person than this poster."

And then ban them when we tire of them.
I suspect it is more this than any "Bringing In The Light". At the very least, could we please make an effort not to mention by name any Neo-Nazi websites when we tell them to go back where they came from?
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Revtim Revtim is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
The "insta-ban Nazis" idea seems pretty much a solution in search of a problem.
I agree.

What problem, exactly, did we have that this proposed instaban rule will solve? Having a couple discussion threads that nobody was forced to read?

I had no idea the recent guy was a neonazi, because I didn't give a shit about the subject of his threads and hence didn't read them. Do some people not realize that simply not reading threads you don't like is an option?
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Vinyl Turnip Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: <--- <--- <---
Posts: 14,906
THE STRAIGHT DOPE

IGNORING FIGHTS SINCE 2012
(Tired.... so, so tired...)
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 AM
PlainJain PlainJain is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
I don't see the confusion here, if may paraphrase, what PlainJain is suggesting is that there is value in a shortage of information pertaining to pro-Nazi, Holocaust denier, etc. as well as a benefit in having sources, such as SDMB threads refuting those views, show up in a web search on those topics.
Yep. We can't stop the Nazis from posting their hate and lies on the net so I believe there is value in our posting factual information that discredits it - however inadequate that supply of information may be.

My post was a light-hearted way of expressing it. It's not complicated unless you want it to be.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 AM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 23,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
My post was a light-hearted way of expressing it.
I think that is one reason newbies and lurkers come to The Straight Dope. They've read Cecil's columns, seen that he gives the facts in a clear and amusing form, and go to the boards for more of the same except with a faster turnover. I'm fully in favor of keeping the nuts around so we can play with them, like cats playing with mice, until they get too obnoxious. Then the banner should explain the banning, both in the thread and in ATMB, so readers don't need to search for a reason.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Gyrate Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
The "insta-ban Nazis" idea seems pretty much a solution in search of a problem.
But it would be a final one.

Too soon?
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Peter Morris Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ___\o/___(\___
Posts: 9,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
Yep. We can't stop the Nazis from posting their hate and lies on the net so I believe there is value in our posting factual information that discredits it - however inadequate that supply of information may be. .
Thank you for clarifying what you meant. You did, however, phrase it poorly, and gave the wrong impression.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:49 AM
GIGObuster GIGObuster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
I was going to ask the same [slippery slope] question:

Shall we ban the following? Why, or why not?

1. Moon landing hoax believers

2. 9/11 thruthers

3. Oswald did not kill Kennedy believers

4. Global warming deniers

5. Gun control opponents

6. Republicans

7. Fox News viewers

Edit: Posting before finishing the thread. Still in the middle of page 1!
Hah! I have locked horns with all of them! The fight against gross ignorance should not care if the proponent of woo is liberal or conservative.

I have to mention that there are many thinking conservatives here so I agree with many posters here that we should not autoban them, because many do not go for the jerky style of dealing with others, in the SDMB the last 4 items specially show many examples of conservatives that while they support some of those ideas they do listen to reason. Also, to confuse this more, nowadays most thinking republicans and conservatives are being kick out of office by a party that is going off the deep end.

OTOH, it was with evidence presented in this message board that made me agree a lot with #5, so you would had to ban me if we follow with that post hypothetical.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 05-09-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:23 AM
kunilou kunilou is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 17,557
Not to mention that Holocaust deniers are one of the few things guaranteed to unite everyone on the Board. Think about it. Grouchy Republicans/angry Democrats/frustrated supporters of Ron Paul, atheists/theists, pro-union/anti-union, lovers/haters of kitty pix. . . There are few things we can agree on, but #1 on the list is a Hitler supporter.

Every time one appears, it's a team-building exercise!
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Boyo Jim Boyo Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Not to mention that Holocaust deniers are one of the few things guaranteed to unite everyone on the Board. Think about it. Grouchy Republicans/angry Democrats/frustrated supporters of Ron Paul, atheists/theists, pro-union/anti-union, lovers/haters of kitty pix. . . There are few things we can agree on, but #1 on the list is a Hitler supporter.

Every time one appears, it's a team-building exercise!
Nah, because we don't agree on whether it's worthwhile to engage them. I consider these people trolls, and I don't feed trolls. But I will grant the SDMB one thing -- it is a tremendous feeding ground for trolls.

Maybe I'm jealous. A long time ago I looked back at threads I started and found that almost a third of them died without ever even getting a response. Now I know why -- they weren't crazy or evil enough!
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Chimera Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 15,072
And yet I'm not allowed to say to these people;

"You know that scene in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkhaban where the Boggart steps out of the wardrobe looking like Professor Snape and then Neville uses the Ridiculous charm to make it look like it's wearing his grandmother's clothing? That's how I imagine you. Including the look of confusion on your face."

Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 05-10-2012, 07:10 AM
C K Dexter Haven C K Dexter Haven is offline
Right Hand of the Master
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago north suburb
Posts: 16,002
One quick comment: in addition to the rules about not insulting other posters, there is a specific rule in the Registration Agreement:
Quote:
Hate speech, insults, and purposely inflammatory remarks (i.e., trolling) will not be tolerated. Do not post threats or state or imply that any individual or group is deserving of harm.
Neo-Nazis will almost surely fall afoul of these rules fairly quickly. Thus, the current policy (IMHO) treads the line very neatly between not giving a sounding-board to such extremists, while at the same time not stifling any particular topics.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 29,102
From the Woody Allen film Manhattan (1979):

Isaac Davis (Woody): Has anybody read that Nazis are gonna march in New Jersey? Y'know, I read this in the newspaper. We should go down there, get some guys together, y'know, get some bricks and baseball bats and really explain things to them.
Party Guest: There is this devastating satirical piece on that on the Op Ed page of the Times, it is devastating.
Isaac Davis: Well, a satirical piece in the Times is one thing, but bricks and baseball bats really gets right to the point
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Sailboat Sailboat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
My Dad knew how to deal with Nazis.

69th Infantry Division: Siegfried Line, the Rhineland, Liepzieg, Eilenberg, Torgau.

If I have to argue with them on a messageboard, it's the least I can do.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Darth Panda Darth Panda is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Not to mention that Holocaust deniers are one of the few things guaranteed to unite everyone on the Board. Think about it. Grouchy Republicans/angry Democrats/frustrated supporters of Ron Paul, atheists/theists, pro-union/anti-union, lovers/haters of kitty pix. . . There are few things we can agree on, but #1 on the list is a Hitler supporter.

Every time one appears, it's a team-building exercise!
When Ron Paul supporters unite with kttiy pix lovers, I get very, very scared. I'm not sure I'm OK with this.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Gyrate Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Panda View Post
When Ron Paul supporters unite with kttiy pix lovers, I get very, very scared. I'm not sure I'm OK with this.
i kan has gold standard?
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 05-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Jake Jake is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 3,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I think we should instaban anyone who likes shaky cam. And vegans.

Once you start banning people for ideas, then where do you stop?
Best post yet. Give everybody at least ONE chance to express their opinion.
Then drop the "Ban Bomb".
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 05-11-2012, 01:10 AM
mister nyx mister nyx is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
This. I like my bigots out in the open where they can be squashed rather than allowed to fester.
Right, except for how there are several obvious "scientific" racists here, festering away, and they haven't been "squashed" or anything. They're still here just "asking questions" and engaging in "reasoned debates".

I mean, this place pretty clearly doesn't have a good track record at getting rid of people like that and the result is that it's a place where, to this day, it's apparently up for debate whether people with certain skin colors are inherently stupid. It seems obvious, given that track record, that this place would do better to abandon this silly "truth will out" nonsense and just acknowledge that awful people with awful viewpoints exist, and kick them out, rather than engaging the thousandth white supremacist in debate and pretending like you'll collectively manage to debate the Nazi out of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure
But insta-banning them won't make them or their ideas go away.
Uh, of course it'll make them go away. It won't make every neo-Nazi ever go away, and it won't make any of them rethink their ideas, but neither will "debating" at them, and the banning approach involves a lot less pointless arguing with Nazis. Because it ensures that they go away.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM
tomndebb tomndebb is offline
Mod Rocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: N E Ohio
Posts: 36,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister nyx View Post
Uh, of course it'll make them go away. It won't make every neo-Nazi ever go away, and it won't make any of them rethink their ideas, but neither will "debating" at them, and the banning approach involves a lot less pointless arguing with Nazis. Because it ensures that they go away.
Arguing with True Believers, whether Nazis, commies, fundy theists, fundy atheists, radical vegans, or rabid carnivores, will never persuade them to change their views and will only one time in a million persuade them that their opponents are not incarnate evil.
However, demonstrating the errors in which True Believers engage will persuade undecided folks on the sidelines that the extreme position of the True Believers is too far off the charts for a reasonable person to hold them. Shutting down True Believers for simply mindlessly grasping their belief sends a message to those on the sidelines that we are unable to fight them with facts and that they must have some Truth of which we are afraid.

I don't see the point in banning anyone for being stupid or closed minded, regardless which topic their fixation supports.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:01 AM
John Mace John Mace is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
I don't see the point in banning anyone for being stupid...
Whew. I will sleep MUCH better at night now!

Last edited by John Mace; 05-11-2012 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Shodan Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 25,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
My Dad knew how to deal with Nazis.

69th Infantry Division: Siegfried Line, the Rhineland, Liepzieg, Eilenberg, Torgau.
Do you know who else dealt with Nazis?

Regards,
Shodan
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 77,683
Eisenhower?
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Jackmannii Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
I cast my pitiful insignificant vote against banning denialists of any stripe, short of intensely vile hatemongering which I can't define, but which (like a certain Supreme Court Justice) I am confident our hard-working Mod overlords can recognize if they see it.

Once started down the ban road, we'll have to eliminate AIDS denialists, vaccine denialists and all the loony-tunes whom it is such good sport (and occasionally even educational) to debunk, point fingers at and laugh.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 AM
carnivorousplant carnivorousplant is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 41,266
George Patton?
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Munch Munch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
George Patton?
Was he the guy on TV with all those kids?
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Shodan Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 25,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant
George Patton?
No, Kim Kardashian.

Regards,
Shodan
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 05-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Attack from the 3rd dimension Attack from the 3rd dimension is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
No, Kim Kardashian.

Regards,
Shodan
Well, technically he was duking it out with British Fascists, but Vidal Sassoon.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Sparky812 Sparky812 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Great White North
Posts: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Do you know who else dealt with Nazis?

Regards,
Shodan
Indiana Jones? .... or was it God?

Last edited by Sparky812; 05-16-2012 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 PM
GIGObuster GIGObuster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
Indiana Jones? .... or was it God?
I think it was Jake and Elwood Blues... On a mission from the latest.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Ferret Herder Ferret Herder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
I think it was Jake and Elwood Blues... On a mission from the latest.
I hate Illinois Nazis.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 05-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Miller Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 36,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
I hate Illinois Nazis.
Iowa Nazis, on the other hand, are okay.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Boyo Jim Boyo Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Iowa Nazis, on the other hand, are okay.
It's the corn. You shove it in their asses, and they become upstanding citizens.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 29,102
Which proves my personal theory that' it's always best to shove something up Nazis' asses.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 PM
mister nyx mister nyx is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
Arguing with True Believers, whether Nazis, commies, fundy theists, fundy atheists, radical vegans, or rabid carnivores, will never persuade them to change their views and will only one time in a million persuade them that their opponents are not incarnate evil.
However, demonstrating the errors in which True Believers engage will persuade undecided folks on the sidelines that the extreme position of the True Believers is too far off the charts for a reasonable person to hold them. Shutting down True Believers for simply mindlessly grasping their belief sends a message to those on the sidelines that we are unable to fight them with facts and that they must have some Truth of which we are afraid.
Do you really, honestly believe there are a lot of people on the fence about (to continue with my example) scientific racism, and they're waiting to be convinced by the evidence? Consider the fact that absolutely zero of the world's current scientific racists came to that conclusion due to fairly and honestly evaluating the evidence.

If you guys just want easy arguments that you can feel good about yourselves for winning, then go for it, and award yourselves your gold stars when you fail to change any minds at all. In my experience it's more satisfying to debate someone who actually came to their opinion honestly because then sometimes they actually concede when confronted with superior arguments. Whereas Holocaust deniers, scientific racists, and their ilk never will.

Quote:
I don't see the point in banning anyone for being stupid or closed minded, regardless which topic their fixation supports.
If your goal is to have a place where decent discussions are possible -- and especially where good faith debaters might actually learn something and improve themselves in the process -- I can't think of a more obviously correct course of action than banning people for being stupid or closed-minded.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 05-16-2012, 11:27 PM
tomndebb tomndebb is offline
Mod Rocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: N E Ohio
Posts: 36,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister nyx View Post
Do you really, honestly believe there are a lot of people on the fence about (to continue with my example) scientific racism, and they're waiting to be convinced by the evidence? Consider the fact that absolutely zero of the world's current scientific racists came to that conclusion due to fairly and honestly evaluating the evidence.
No. So what?

What I do find are people who have come to conclusions because they were not presented the facts or were presented a slanted view of the facts. Such folks, (and there are a couple of posters on the SDMB who came here with that sort of background in science who have changed their views in light of the facts), are sincerely looking for the facts and we provide those facts.
Shutting down discussion and banning True Believers is more likely to be interpreted by those who have been misled as us being afraid of "the Truth."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister nyx View Post
If you guys just want easy arguments that you can feel good about yourselves for winning, then go for it, and award yourselves your gold stars when you fail to change any minds at all. In my experience it's more satisfying to debate someone who actually came to their opinion honestly because then sometimes they actually concede when confronted with superior arguments. Whereas Holocaust deniers, scientific racists, and their ilk never will.
If you think arguing with the hydras that are most True Believers is easy, you probably have never actually engaged in a discussion with one. It is mostly frustrating. Yes, it might be more fun to have a genuine debate with someone who arrived at a Creationist perspective "rationally," but the odds on finding such a "rational" True Believer are pretty long against.
Even moreso with a Holocaust Denier. However, they generally arrive with an entire list of lies--all the more reason why we should take the time to debunk them rather than let anyone actually believe that they are not lying or that we fear "the Truth."


Quote:
Originally Posted by mister nyx View Post
If your goal is to have a place where decent discussions are possible -- and especially where good faith debaters might actually learn something and improve themselves in the process -- I can't think of a more obviously correct course of action than banning people for being stupid or closed-minded.
And if we decided that your attitude was either close-minded or stupid. . . ?

Decent discussions are always possible. Not with every poster on every topic, but with enough posters on enough topics to remain interesting. And banning people for having wrong-headed beliefs prevents us from encountering the current crop of errors or lies. On the other hand, engaging them gives us the opportunity us do the research to discover the source of their lies to more easily debunk them.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 05-16-2012, 11:29 PM
The Man With The Golden Gun The Man With The Golden Gun is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister nyx View Post
Do you really, honestly believe there are a lot of people on the fence about (to continue with my example) scientific racism, and they're waiting to be convinced by the evidence? Consider the fact that absolutely zero of the world's current scientific racists came to that conclusion due to fairly and honestly evaluating the evidence.

If you guys just want easy arguments that you can feel good about yourselves for winning, then go for it, and award yourselves your gold stars when you fail to change any minds at all. In my experience it's more satisfying to debate someone who actually came to their opinion honestly because then sometimes they actually concede when confronted with superior arguments. Whereas Holocaust deniers, scientific racists, and their ilk never will.


If your goal is to have a place where decent discussions are possible -- and especially where good faith debaters might actually learn something and improve themselves in the process -- I can't think of a more obviously correct course of action than banning people for being stupid or closed-minded.
We're not actually trying to debate with Neo-nazis and all that, since Lord knows there's no way anyone can penetrate their concrete skulls, but often, we let them spew, make fun of them (not the same as debating, obviously), and let them flame out until they get themselves banned. Same result, takes only a bit longer, and provides the board with a fair deal of amusement along the way.

And even though we don't instantly ban people for being stupid or closed-minded and prefer to give them enough rope to hang themselves with, decent discussions and enlightening debates do in fact happen here.

Quite frequently, actually.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 05-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Enola Gay Enola Gay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister nyx View Post
Do you really, honestly believe there are a lot of people on the fence about (to continue with my example) scientific racism, and they're waiting to be convinced by the evidence? Consider the fact that absolutely zero of the world's current scientific racists came to that conclusion due to fairly and honestly evaluating the evidence.

If you guys just want easy arguments that you can feel good about yourselves for winning, then go for it, and award yourselves your gold stars when you fail to change any minds at all. In my experience it's more satisfying to debate someone who actually came to their opinion honestly because then sometimes they actually concede when confronted with superior arguments. Whereas Holocaust deniers, scientific racists, and their ilk never will.


If your goal is to have a place where decent discussions are possible -- and especially where good faith debaters might actually learn something and improve themselves in the process -- I can't think of a more obviously correct course of action than banning people for being stupid or closed-minded.
I agree with you that a true, hard-boiled Holocaust denier will never see the light, regardless of how convincing and rational your arguments might be. But consider the 'up and coming/aspiring/interested in exploring' Holocaust denier. They could very well be reading here ....probably stumbling upon the SDMB after typing 'proof that the holocaust was a hoax" into a search engine.

Think about it. Young people today get a lot of their information from the internet and even the 'probably will become/odds stacked against him' future Holocaust denier (scientific racist, etc) out there in the world today will eventually do a google search at some point. Wouldn't it be better for that not-fully-cooked brain to happen upon some rational arguments that maybe, possibly give him cause to question what he has learned before becoming a fully-cooked, closed minded idiot?

Last edited by Enola Gay; 05-17-2012 at 01:03 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 05-17-2012, 02:20 AM
jsgoddess jsgoddess is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
I think when you give people a forum, they'll take it. And the next person along sees that you gave that first person a forum. And the next. And the next. And that is why we have longstanding racists posting here who obey all of the rules except the most important one but are free to post and post and post long past the time when we all know that they are jerks.

The dope offers shelter to racists and then claims that gosh, there's simply nothing to be done about it because this slope is oh so slippery.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Peter Morris Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ___\o/___(\___
Posts: 9,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gay View Post
I agree with you that a true, hard-boiled Holocaust denier will never see the light, regardless of how convincing and rational your arguments might be.
Actually, it does happen occasionally. Very rare, but it happens. A friend of mine is a former racist and holocaust denier. He had a change of heart years ago, before I knew him, and now is active in local politics, working against racism.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 AM
XT XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 27,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess
I think when you give people a forum, they'll take it. And the next person along sees that you gave that first person a forum. And the next. And the next. And that is why we have longstanding racists posting here who obey all of the rules except the most important one but are free to post and post and post long past the time when we all know that they are jerks.
Nobody gets a free ride on this message board. If they bring that stuff in here then they are going to get smacked around by the posting community. And the next guy will as well. And the guy after that. And people will be able to see our responses to these losers, and see them humiliated, even if they don't get banned.

Again, I can't for the life of me see why this is a problem that needs fixing. Are you scared to debate one of these idiots? Scared of what they could or would say? Scared that giving them the chance to say it will somehow make reasonable people rethink their stance on this? I say bring em on and we'll bring the pain.

You claim that there are long time 'dopers who are racists...I won't ask for names, and just assume you are correct. So what? They don't post racist threads attempting to back up their bullshit unopposed. Obviously they stay within the boundaries of the rules for the board. You don't see a lot of long time 'dopers starting racist oriented threads in general because they KNOW they will feel the pain of a full on 'doper pile on.

Quote:
The dope offers shelter to racists and then claims that gosh, there's simply nothing to be done about it because this slope is oh so slippery.
Horse. Shit.

-XT
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Gyrate Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris
Actually, it does happen occasionally. Very rare, but it happens. A friend of mine is a former racist and holocaust denier. He had a change of heart years ago, before I knew him, and now is active in local politics, working against racism.
Another famous case (or at least famous in Nebraska): a rabbi converts the Grand Dragon of the White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan in Nebraska to Judaism.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Attack from the 3rd dimension Attack from the 3rd dimension is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
I think when you give people a forum, they'll take it. And the next person along sees that you gave that first person a forum. And the next. And the next. And that is why we have longstanding racists posting here who obey all of the rules except the most important one but are free to post and post and post long past the time when we all know that they are jerks.

The dope offers shelter to racists and then claims that gosh, there's simply nothing to be done about it because this slope is oh so slippery.
Nah. There are a couple of 'scientific racists' who are total tools, and spend all their time combing the internet for obscure tidbits to back up their baloney. Everything they say is disputed to the point that they only make very tiny assertions about gene frequency in this or that population.

They can't say what they really want to say here, and what they do say means almost nothing. On the plus side, they spend all their time searching obscure gene frequency journal articles.

Real racists, like whatzisname, the Australians-are-Germans dude, they blow up in a public venue since they can't make their point rationally.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:25 AM
FinnAgain FinnAgain is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post
Real racists, like whatzisname, the Australians-are-Germans dude, they blow up in a public venue since they can't make their point rationally.
Best. Racist. Ever.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 05-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Blaster Master Blaster Master is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I don't think it makes sense to ban any sort of topic from discussion. Certainly, some topics are going to be patently ridiculous or overly dogmatic to the point that it's just a train wreck. But, as a few others have mentioned, many of the sort of people that come here hardset in some bizarre mindset are likely to run afoul of the rules anyway and no one has to even engage them. The thing is, it may upset people that it's not a winnable debate, but if you're arguing with the sole purpose of convincing your opponent, they a lot of people are wasting their time here with so many political and religious discussions.

They're coming here looking for a platform. If you just ban them outright, no ideas get explored, and it reinforces their position giving them yet another point in their perceived persecution complex. If they're able to express they're ideas and they're all logically shot down and they eventually lose their cool and get banned for breaking rules, sure the worst case is the same, but there's a chance that it has some affect on someone.

We can't fight ignorance by ignoring it. It's going to be a fight won in many smaller battles not just closing our eyes and hoping they die off.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 05-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Enola Gay Enola Gay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Actually, it does happen occasionally. Very rare, but it happens. A friend of mine is a former racist and holocaust denier. He had a change of heart years ago, before I knew him, and now is active in local politics, working against racism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Another famous case (or at least famous in Nebraska): a rabbi converts the Grand Dragon of the White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan in Nebraska to Judaism.
Incredible. Now I'm 100% convinced that the Holocaust deniers should not be banned outright. Just this discussion about banning them taught me something I didn't know.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Stink Fish Pot Stink Fish Pot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
But it would be a final one.

Too soon?

You are not looking for a "FINAL SOLUTION", are you?
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 05-17-2012, 03:38 PM
FinnAgain FinnAgain is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gay View Post
Incredible. Now I'm 100% convinced that the Holocaust deniers should not be banned outright. Just this discussion about banning them taught me something I didn't know.
Okay, that is a cool story.
Can we at least agree, however, that those who we do ban should have phone spiders unleashed upon them?
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.