The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 05-18-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monkey With a Gun View Post
Perhaps I do. I'm not proud of how I have acted in this thread. It was so bad that I thought to myself, "monkey, you're not just being an idiot, you are being a complete asshole, and maybe as bad a person as you are accusing others of being. Shut up and get your head back together" So I stepped away from the computer.

But I'm back now. I still don't like what Lute Skywatcher did. But, fuck, some of the things I said may make me more of a dick than he was. I want to apologize to everybody for that.
This how you apologize. Lute? Take notes.
Advertisements  
Old 05-18-2012, 03:57 PM

Anybody got fifty cents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Well Is Best Revenge View Post
This how you apologize. Lute? Take notes.
Fifty cents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderBlue
How do you know this?

Have you ever had an exploded bunny on your hands?

The closest I've come was when my cat had diarrhea once.
Fifty cents?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
Bring the bunny into the shower with you for a few seconds.
It works with cockatiels.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
For one the Pitting started before the announcement that he had depression. I am not required to remember everyone's posting history. For another as many have pointed out, depression is not a gateway to begging. An apology should not contain the reason why it's not your fault. If you have a condition that might be worsened by criticism, step away from the Dope. Its not like my life is all rainbows and unicorns. If I post something stupid I would expect a good pitting. IIRC I have been pitted once. It did not go the way the OP had hoped.

And if anything, using one's depression as an excuse to be a douche is especially heinous. Saying, "I have depression!" is not a get out of jail free card, and I HATE it when people try to play that game.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:42 PM

The main problem with using a psychological disorder as an excuse is that there are only five people on the entire internet who don't have one. None of those five post on the SDMB.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Panda View Post
Will said stand be used to refute evolution?
No, listen closely: There's always money in the banana stand!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
The main problem with using a psychological disorder as an excuse is that there are only five people on the entire internet who don't have one. None of those five post on the SDMB.
I'm definitely stealing this. I'd apologize in advance, but I have "funny-comment-Internet-kleptomania", so clearly I can't be held responsible for my actions.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:07 PM

Holy shit, this board is full of harsh assholes.

Should he have asked for money? No. But the response is so over the top and ridiculous that his silly request that people pay for his bunny wabbit's AC instead of him touching his savings (or whatever it was) seems almost reasonable in comparison. Trainwrecking his original topic was more than sufficient, 6 pages of pitting and trainwrecking his "sorry" thread, sheesh, talk about overkill.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post

Should he have asked for money? No. But the response is so over the top and ridiculous that his silly request that people pay for his bunny wabbit's AC instead of him touching his savings (or whatever it was) seems almost reasonable in comparison. Trainwrecking his original topic was more than sufficient, 6 pages of pitting and trainwrecking his "sorry" thread, sheesh, talk about overkill.
I'm sorry, but is there a quota on pit threads now? If I had known that six pages was going to be too much I would have insisted people stop posting after five pages. Unless that also would have been too much, in which case I would have insisted they stop after four.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
For real, dude.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I think the breast implant thing and the gastric bypass thing are referencing the same rumor that OpalCat took money off posters on her Fathom forum to get a Brazilian body job done. Pretty positive none of it happened on this site.
I think the only part of it that took place here was when she came to cry that people from another site looked at her publicly-accessible photos and laughed at her.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:

This is the Straight Dope Message Board. This is what they do.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
An apology should not contain the reason why it's not your fault.
This is dumb. Look at Monkey's apology. It contains a reason for his behavior, too. The problem is a lack of shown remorse, and 0 reparations when such is due.

Also, disthymia is not double depression. It's a lesser depression. Ironically, that's a bit more convincing, as the lower severity means he's less motivated to get help. And that SSRIs are less likely to help.

Finally, I (and my dogs) went without a/c for a while, too. Mooching from the Dope was the last thing I'd have thought of. I hope Lute has learned from this.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:

I came this close to pitting you for this post.

Do NOT do this again.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Holy shit, this board is full of harsh assholes...
I have one of the lowest tolerances for assholery on this board (see, there is a downside to all those unicorns and rainbows). But when it's in retaliation for much greater 'holery, it's more amusing than troubling.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:56 AM

As expected, my post was as noticeable as a fart in a tornado. I'm good like that. I tend to fart during low pressure fronts.

I was gonna quote one person, then another, then another, and I had to stop. They were all equally funny.

I honestly think that Lute has had enough. He made a HUGE dick move, and was lambasted in the SDMB BBQ Pit. Not only was he called every name in the book for his transgressions, but he was logically sodomized by the intelligentsia and various other SDMB elders. That would be a shaming to end all shamings.

Let him live with his decision/post, and let him outlive it too, eventually.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnooman View Post
Let him live with his decision/post, and let him outlive it too, eventually.
Yeah, good luck to him with that... with this crowd.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:36 AM

Maybe you people whining about how terrible we have been to Lute, and who want the whole thing to drop could like,

stop effing posting.

Just a thought.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrnalene View Post
Maybe you people whining about how terrible we have been to Lute, and who want the whole thing to drop could like,

stop effing posting.

Just a thought.
Tell us of this new concept of which you speak... would it be akin to closing one's mouth in a conversation? That would be a new experience, perhaps one I will try, someday...
Old 05-19-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:

stop effing posting.

Just a thought.
Not sure what you have against effing, but he hasn't posted here for a few years now
Old 05-19-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:

stop effing posting.

Just a thought.
We could keep quoting this til we have a couple of screens worth of Big Honkin' UpperCase Letters...
Old 05-19-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
We could keep quoting this til we have a couple of screens worth of Big Honkin' UpperCase Letters...
Funny, on my screen they're lower case.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaftPeople View Post
I came this close to pitting you for this post.

Do NOT do this again.
If this is a joke, I'm not getting it.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
If this is a joke, I'm not getting it.
Yes, it was a joke, but I'm guessing (with about 99.99998% certainty) that it was much funnier to me than to anyone else on the internet that day.

I was just in one of those moods, laughing to myself and posting ridiculous things.

If you were in my head, you would have laughed (or cried...probably one of those two things).
Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, it was a joke, but I'm guessing (with about 99.99998% certainty) that it was much funnier to me than to anyone else on the internet that day.

I was just in one of those moods, laughing to myself and posting ridiculous things.

If you were in my head, you would have laughed (or cried...probably one of those two things).
That never ends well. As I pointed out to someone here a while ago, I write the occasional Hilarious-To-Myself post that I'm sure would be gut-splitting to anyone who...well, was me.

BUT, I don't click that "Submit Reply" button.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
That never ends well. As I pointed out to someone here a while ago, I write the occasional Hilarious-To-Myself post that I'm sure would be gut-splitting to anyone who...well, was me.

I do it all the time. I laugh and it feels good.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:25 AM

What?!?!? Other people are reading the things I post? Damn, I've got to rethink this whole thing.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:29 AM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
No, listen closely: There's always money in the banana stand!
Guys I think Rhythmdvl wants us to burn down the banana stand.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Christ, if I held to that, I'd have like 15 posts on this board (not including this one).
Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Alrighty then - carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
What?!?!? Other people are reading the things I post? Damn, I've got to rethink this whole thing.
Some days I'm really not sure about that - I say something brilliant (shut up! It happens!) and no one notices, or I say something idiotic, and no one notices (that's okay when that happens).
Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Alrighty then - carry on.

Some days I'm really not sure about that - I say something brilliant (shut up! It happens!) and no one notices, or I say something idiotic, and no one notices (that's okay when that happens).
Just yesterday, someone replied to a witticism that I'd made days before, and that I assumed no one had gotten. (So I'm betting your last brilliant comment had us all in awe, to the extent that any response would be drivel compared to your insightful-yet-amusing post.)
Old 05-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just yesterday, someone replied to a witticism that I'd made days before, and that I assumed no one had gotten. (So I'm betting your last brilliant comment had us all in awe, to the extent that any response would be drivel compared to your insightful-yet-amusing post.)
That's probably it.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:28 PM

Bumping this based on some of the recent discussion going on over here, specifically regarding the shovel that Lute finds impossible to put down. Turns out that he's gone to the Doper Donation well in the past, also for pet problems. Guy just can't figure out how to support his pets on his own, it seems.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

What part of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher View Post
One of the conditions set by my sister was to draw up a plan for being be self-reliant when these things happen.
do you not understand?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:33 PM

Didn't you just adopt yet another animal that you apparently can't afford to take care of?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Things are different now. I've been working an average of 20 hours overtime per month since the end of May and have an actual savings account as opposed to trying to keep money in checking and relying on my annual tax refund. I keep forgetting I even have a retirement account that can be borrowed against until the occasional (quarterly?) statement arrives.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-16-2012 at 03:37 PM..
Old 08-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

My sister's requirement of being self-reliant includes not borrowing anywhere, including from my retirement.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:44 PM
DramQueen

Quote:
What part of do you not understand?
The part where you seem to require your sister to explain to you how to act like an adult and manage your own money, rather than repeatedly mooching off of strangers (especially when you HAVE the money in another account).

Why aren't you capable of being responsible by yourself?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:50 PM
DramQueen

Quote:
My sister's requirement of being self-reliant includes not borrowing anywhere, including from my retirement.
I still don't understand why you think we should care about what your sister has to say. What's her relevance to the Dope? Did she give you the animals? Does she hold power of attorney over your finances?

Where's your wife in all this, didn't she enable your begging last time?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM

It seems to me that Lute is at least trying to be more fiscally responsible, so I recommend letting that particular line of questioning go. I just want to know why he feels he needs to keep re-justifying his actions. Stop picking at the scab and just let it go.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:54 PM

Lute, the fact of the matter is you had money, but you didn't want to take the tax hit to use it. So instead of taking the financial hit on your savings, you held your hand out and begged. You had money all along. Don't give me crap about your sister or that you couldn't access the bank or whatever. You HAD money! Don't you understand that that is the reason people are pissed?

What you need to do is apologize, return all the money you kept from the second time you begged, and then shut the fuck up. That's the responsible thing to do.

Last edited by armedmonkey; 08-16-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Old 08-16-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Imp View Post
Where's your wife in all this, didn't she enable your begging last time?
Yeah, I think he said that his wife helped set up the Paypal, or it was going through her Paypal or something.

Lute, are you actually mentally disabled (besides super double depression or whatever you blamed the last time)? If so, just tell us and we'll let it go.

The problem most people here have with you isn't that you asked for money when you already had it available. And it's not because you were fairly withholding with the information on why you needed the money.

It's because you keep making excuses for your behavior instead of just standing up and saying "I fucked up guys, I'm sorry." Instead, you make excuse after excuse and lay the blame on others and on your depression and anything else you can think of other than just owning the mistake.

And you also do realize that we'd all mostly forgotten about you until you started that new thread with yet more excuses ("I murdered my kitty 30 years ago, that's why I suck so bad!"). You just keep on digging.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Imp View Post
Why aren't you capable of being responsible by yourself?
I'm a fiscal idiot. Seems to run in the family.

There was that time I bought something I needed but had to return it a few minutes later because I realized I had spent the $1.25 or whatever that I also needed to give Metrobus so I could get home.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
How about from people on a message board?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 08-16-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
There was that time I bought something I needed but had to return it a few minutes later because I realized I had spent the $1.25 or whatever that I also needed to give Metrobus so I could get home.
Was it an animal?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
Lute, are you actually mentally disabled (besides super double depression or whatever you blamed the last time)? If so, just tell us and we'll let it go.
Yes. Ajustment disorder with Dysthymia and occasional bouts of Major Depression. Attempted suicide in 1990. Spent the summer of '94 in a mental health ward due to being suicidal again.

Wouldn't be surprised if I also have undiagnosed Aperger's and mild retardation.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-16-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Old 08-16-2012, 04:04 PM

That's not an apology, Lute.

Christ Jesus, buddy. Just man up, give an honest apology, return the money, and be done.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
Was it an animal?
Heh. No, a canteen. I had just signed up to be a volunteer summer camp counselor.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't be surprised if I also have undiagnosed Aperger's and mild retardation.
I don't think this would surprise anybody.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monkey With a Gun View Post
That's not an apology, Lute.

Christ Jesus, buddy. Just man up, give an honest apology, return the money, and be done.
Manned up and reutrned the money two months ago. Unless you're referring to the sick kitty, that was almost a year ago; I have no idea who sent what and we're gone from PayPal.