The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Elections

Old 05-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
Do you vote the way you do because of the political advertising you see? Does elucidator? Do you think any of the people who post on political topics on this board do?

If not, then guess what - money neither talks nor votes in our cases.
I do not cast my vote based on political advertising I see. I'm not prepared to offer an opinion on any other specific voters.

However, I am even less prepared to speculate that no one does. Were that the case, the manufacture and dissemination of political advertising material would not be lucrative enough to sustain an industry to the degree that it would even generate much conversation here.

And I don't quite see what point you're attempting to make with your "in our cases" qualifier.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 05-27-2012 at 06:06 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 05-27-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
I do not cast my vote based on political advertising I see. I'm not prepared to offer an opinion on any other specific voters.

However, I am even less prepared to speculate that no one does. Were that the case, the manufacture and dissemination of political advertising material would not be lucrative enough to sustain an industry to the degree that it would even generate much conversation here.

And I don't quite see what point you're attempting to make with your "in our cases" qualifier.
Because this is a typical "big daddy" liberal argument. "I, of course, am not affected by political advertising, but those unwashed masses, they are so stupid and easily swayed, they have to be protected from their own stupid decisions".
Old 05-27-2012, 06:45 PM

I'm always affected. Sometimes I laugh, frequently I curse, sometimes I want to reach into Karl Rove's chest and pull out his heart and feed it to the neighbor's dog. Hate that fucking dog.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:03 PM

Driving down highway Y in Sheboygan county yesterday I saw two Walker signs, one on each side of the road. Someone had chosen that exact spot to dump a bag of garbage.

Most garbage is dumped far from country homes, as the worthless weasels who do it don't want to be caught.

Three cheers for the brave anti-Walker folk.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:04 PM

While I am praising the people with a better world view, the teachers who called in sick to go protest in Madison deserve mention. "The children" are their main concern. We must do things for the children.

They are given the choice of maintaining the staffing levels at their schools by paying into their pension fund , or cutting staff to keep the paycheck the same.
They choose to not contribute and have staff cut.
What happened to your concern for "the children"?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They are given the choice of maintaining the staffing levels at their schools by paying into their pension fund , or cutting staff to keep the paycheck the same.
They choose to not contribute and have staff cut.
What happened to your concern for "the children"?
If they starve, the children will be screwed.

Next question?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
If they starve, the children will be screwed.

Next question?
My SIL is a Sheboygan Area School District teacher. She gets over $45 k for nine months of work. Does that sound like starvation level compensation?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:34 PM

State legislator in Wisconsin makes just shy of fifty grand. Plus perks.

Quote:
...Representatives elected or re-elected in the fall of 2008 received an annual salary of $49,943.
In addition to their salaries, Representatives outside Dane County may receive up to $88 a day each in living expenses while they are in Madison on state business. Members of the Dane County delegation are allowed up to $44 each in expenses.

Each Representative also receives $75 per month in "out-of-session" pay when the Legislature is in session for three days or less.
Over two years, each representative is allotted $12,000 to cover general office expenses, printing, postage and district mailings....
- Wiki, natch

Just sayin', is all.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
State legislator in Wisconsin makes just shy of fifty grand. Plus perks.

- Wiki, natch

Just sayin', is all.
Tax-fattened hyenas!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
Because this is a typical "big daddy" liberal argument. "I, of course, am not affected by political advertising, but those unwashed masses, they are so stupid and easily swayed, they have to be protected from their own stupid decisions".

That's really all the response that's appropriate (not to minimize the perspicacity of luci's comment, of course).

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 05-29-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 AM

Not content with outspending Barrett by million$

The Walker campaign has gone filthy dirty.

Message: Union Puppet Tom Barrett is a Union Puppet who will give Union Thugs everything they want. Call & ask why 414-271-8050.

I have not called the number nor was I the one to receive the dirt-spam text message.

Edit:

Just did a Google lookup of the number - it's "Friends of Barrett."

Last edited by BigAppleBucky; 05-29-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post
The Walker campaign has gone filthy dirty.

Message: Union Puppet Tom Barrett is a Union Puppet who will give Union Thugs everything they want. Call & ask why 414-271-8050.

I have not called the number nor was I the one to receive the dirt-spam text message.

Edit:

Just did a Google lookup of the number - it's "Friends of Barrett."
I called it and got a voicemessage: "Thank you for calling Friends of Tom Barrett. We are unable to take your call. Please leave a message." I didn't.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:33 PM

"Union thugs". The nostalgia. When I was a much younger fool, studying for admission to the penitentiary, the "union thug" was a staple of editorial cartooning. The label would say "Big Labor", it would depict a swarthy, cigar-chomping and vaguely ethnic character. I'm guessing most of you don't remember that, since you didn't go to high school with God. (What a dick, by the way. Didn't give Him your lunch money, you got smote...)

Last edited by elucidator; 05-29-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
"Union thugs". The nostalgia. When I was a much younger fool, studying for admission to the penitentiary, the "union thug" was a staple of editorial cartooning. The label would say "Big Labor", it would depict a swarthy, cigar-chomping and vaguely ethnic character. I'm guessing most of you don't remember that, since you didn't go to high school with God. (What a dick, by the way. Didn't give Him your lunch money, you got smote...)
There was a time long ago, and probably before your time or God's, when American labor unions had thugs; but I think the preferred terminology was "goons."
Old 05-29-2012, 01:23 PM

If we actually had goons or thugs these days, my job wouldn't be so dang hard.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:24 PM

The intent of the text was to tie-up the Barrett phone line

According to one poster here and Think Progress.Org, the Barrett phone line is tied up indicating this was an organized dirty trick to tie-up the Barrett campaign phone lines to slow down the get out the vote effort.
http://thinkprogress.org/

The Bush 43 White House used a similar tactic against Democrats in New Hampshire in 2002:
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/whi..._jamming_case/

Quote:
Key figures in a phone-jamming scheme designed to keep New Hampshire Democrats from voting in 2002 had regular contact with the White House and Republican Party as the plan was unfolding, phone records introduced in criminal court show.

Could Americans for Prosperity be behind the effort? Remember this one?
http://www.politico.com/blogs/davidc...e.html?showall

Quote:
Americans for Prosperity is sending absentee ballots to Democrats in at least two Wisconsin state Senate recall districts with instructions to return the paperwork after the election date.
Republicans talk a good game about playing fair when it comes to scrubbing Democratic voters off registered voting rolls and preventing scarcely ever seen voter fraud, but when push comes to shove, the GOP is by far the leader in dirty tricks.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
According to one poster here and Think Progress.Org, the Barrett phone line is tied up indicating this was an organized dirty trick to tie-up the Barrett campaign phone lines to slow down the get out the vote effort.
http://thinkprogress.org/
. . . And I went and contributed to the effort.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Americans for Prosperity is sending absentee ballots to Democrats in at least two Wisconsin state Senate recall districts with instructions to return the paperwork after the election date.
I still can't understand how this isn't a felony. We don't need slap-on-the-wrist fines for this kind of behavior; we need jail time.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I still can't understand how this isn't a felony. We don't need slap-on-the-wrist fines for this kind of behavior; we need jail time.
I think it's pretty clear by now that RWs/Pubs place little to no civic value on voter turnout as such. They seem to have internalized the narrative of the late Paul Weyrich:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Weyrich
How many of our Christians have what I call the goo-goo syndrome? Good government.

They want everybody to vote!

I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people, they never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now.

As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as voting populace goes down.
Anyone care to argue that Pubs/RWs in general have not adopted this attitude? Or that it is a defensible one?

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 05-29-2012 at 06:15 PM..
Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 PM

More on the Walker-Barrett debate:

Quote:
During this campaign, Walker and his supporters have been harshly critical of those who have sought to recall and remove the governor and his political allies. Though the Wisconsin Constitution is absolutely clear that the reasons for recall elections are to be defined by those who seek them—as opposed to the politicians who would like to restrict the scheduling of accountability votes—the Walker camp has claimed that the recall is an expensive and unnecessary political gambit.

Barrett challenged this spin with a suggestion that Walker is a recall hypocrite.

Referring to Walker during the debate, Barrett said: “He has signed recall petitions, it’s my understanding, against Senator Feingold, against Senator Kohl, not for criminal misbehavior, but because he disagreed with political decisions that were made.”

Walker did not respond immediately. But the next day the governor said, “I have no memory” of signing on for the recall of the Democratic senators when they were targeted in 1997 by anti-abortion groups.

Since organizers of the Feingold-Kohl recall effort say they’re unaware of whether Walker signed, and since the old petitions have been destroyed, this particular debate may remain unresolved.

But there is no question that Scott Walker has spoken enthusiastically about the use of the recall power. Indeed, he attained his previous position as Milwaukee County executive in large part because of a recall initiative. And that initiative clearly delighted him.

Back when he was a state legislator, Walker was an enthusiastic proponent of recall elections—especially in Milwaukee County.

Walker got even more enthusiastic about recalls in 2002, when he became the favored candidate of the group seeking to remove Milwaukee County Executive Tom Ament. After Ament resigned, Walker was elected to replace him.

When he ran for governor in 2010, Walker talked up the 2002 recall drive as an exercise in democracy.

Speaking of the Milwaukee County fight, Walker said: “You know the folks that were angry about this started a recall and they were told they needed to collect 73,000 signatures in sixty days. Well, not hundreds, not thousands, but tens of thousands of ordinary people did an extraordinary thing. They stood up and took their government back. In less than thirty days they collected more than 150,000 signatures. It was at that moment I realized the real emotion on display in my county wasn’t just about anger. You see, if it had been about anger, it would have been about people checking out and moving out or giving up. But instead what happened was really amazing. You saw people standing up shoulder to shoulder, neighbor to neighbor and saying ‘we want our government back’ And in doing so the real emotion on display was about hope.”
Old 05-30-2012, 12:56 AM

More on the recall-funding:

Quote:
MADISON, Wis. — Republican Gov. Scott Walker has raised about $31 million since he took office 17 months ago, including a remarkable $5.9 million in the last five weeks reported to Wisconsin regulators Tuesday.

The first-term Republican reported his latest donations a week before he faces Democratic Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett in a recall election that is also a rematch of the 2010 governor's race. The state elections board predicted Tuesday that turnout would be between 60 percent and 65 percent, nearing levels normally seen in a presidential election.

Barrett, who was bound to fundraising limits of no more than $10,000 from any one donor, reported an impressive $3.4 million over the past five weeks. He raised about $4.2 million since joining the race at the end of March and had $1.5 million cash on hand.

In his 2010 campaign, Walker set the state's fundraising record by bringing in $11 million. But he has nearly tripled that since by playing off his national conservative credentials as he rocketed to stardom after taking on public sector unions.

That fight, in which most Wisconsin public workers lost their collective bargaining rights, triggered the recall. Wisconsin law allowed Walker, as the subject of the recall, to raise unlimited amounts to pay for any debts he incurred over a nearly five-week period.

That has allowed him to rake in massive donations never before seen in Wisconsin, including $100,000 he reported receiving Sunday from Richard Pieper, the head of Pieper Electric in Milwaukee. He also reported receiving $50,000 from Richard Roberts, president of URL Pharma in Philadelphia and $25,000 from Mac Carney, CEO of Midwest Insurance Co. in Springfield, Ill., over the past week.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Perhaps the story here isn't how much Walker has received in campaign contribution, but how little Barrett has received in campaign contributions.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omg a Black Conservative View Post
Perhaps the story here isn't how much Walker has received in campaign contribution, but how little Barrett has received in campaign contributions.
Explain.

Is Barrett receiving smaller donations than previous Wisconsin campaigns for governor?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 AM

No, no. You see, America is basically a center-right nation, and all real Americans agree with conservative principles. Its only the dastardly liberal media and voter fraud that makes them sorta kinda seem to lose elections.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omg a Black Conservative View Post
Barrett is limited to $10K donations, unlike Walker. Even so, he has done fairly well, just not the massive right wing billionaire club support like Walker.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepo...155466225.html

Quote:
Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, his Democratic challenger, raised $3.1 million between April 24 and May 21, an impressive total in a normal governor's race but still below Walker's unprecedented fundraising. Barrett has raised $3.9 million since joining the race March 30 and had $1.5 million available for the last two weeks of the race.

The Republican governor has raised more than $30 million since January 2011 and he has about $1.6 million on hand. The majority has been from out of state.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/ma...oq4YzcSqHB5Udw

ALEC takeover of a state.

Dale Schultz is my hero.

My personal hope is that the divisiveness will abate after the recalls. If the Fitzwalkers get stung a bit, they may realize they can't just walk over people and need to work with them.
As I indicated in threads at the time, while it's true in general that the Wisconsin open meetings law requires 24 hours notice, one exception to that law is the meetings of legislative bodies themselves.

This question was debated extensively, despite the issue being clearly established in Wisconsin law.

The Supreme Court of Wisconsin ultimately ruled on the issue as I indicated. The open meetings law was not violated.

Why did your link's text say:
Quote:
“I said, ‘I just want to make you aware that this meeting is a violation of the open meetings law,’ ” Barca said he told Fitzgerald, who called the meeting less than two hours before. (Under Wisconsin law, a government body is generally required to give 24 hours notice to the public before it meets.)
That's very deceptive, isn't it? Since we all know now that while the law generally requires that, it doesn't require it in this specific case. There was no such violation of law. Yet the story doesn't point that out.

Why do you suppose that is?

Last edited by Bricker; 05-30-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Old 05-30-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
As I indicated in threads at the time, while it's true in general that the Wisconsin open meetings law requires 24 hours notice, one exception to that law is the meetings of legislative bodies themselves.

This question was debated extensively, despite the issue being clearly established in Wisconsin law.

The Supreme Court of Wisconsin ultimately ruled on the issue as I indicated. The open meetings law was not violated.

That's very deceptive, isn't it? Since we all know now that while the law generally requires that, it doesn't require it in this specific case. There was no such violation of law. Yet the story doesn't point that out.

How does the answer to this question affect the article or the merits of the arguments made therein in any way? Quit with the dishonest debating tactics of picking apart stuff that has no relevance to create the illusion that you've actually argued against it.

Last edited by BigT; 05-30-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Old 05-30-2012, 02:05 PM

And this just in, from our good friends at ThinkProgress

http://thinkprogress.org/election/20...-defense-fund/

(Warning! Lefty site! Tighty rightys are advised to proceed only with Shields Up!)

Quote:
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) is diverting campaign donations to bankroll his legal defense fund. For what charges does he need a legal defense? He won’t say.
Walker’s latest campaign finance report reveals that he recently made two transfers totaling $100,000 toward a fund meant to protect him from a “John Doe” corruption investigation.....
Old 05-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
And this just in, from our good friends at ThinkProgress

http://thinkprogress.org/election/20...-defense-fund/

(Warning! Lefty site! Tighty rightys are advised to proceed only with Shields Up!)
Quick question for ya. Who started the John Doe investigation?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 PM

A little help.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/1...rt=newestfirst

Scott Walker said:

"The facts clearly show that" his administration in Milwaukee County took swift action against any impropriety.
"This investigation started because my office asked for it nearly two years ago," he added.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE3O4ENAIL View Post
A little help.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/1...rt=newestfirst

Scott Walker said:

"The facts clearly show that" his administration in Milwaukee County took swift action against any impropriety.
"This investigation started because my office asked for it nearly two years ago," he added.
Wait, this investigation was started by Milwaukee County DA John Chisholm in 2010. And a defense attorney recently unsuccessfully begged the State DOJ to take it over.

Quote:
The state Department of Justice announced Wednesday that it will not get involved in the ongoing John Doe investigation of aides and staff to Gov. Scott Walker.

The announcement came an hour or so after Paul Bucher, a defense attorney, released a letter he had sent to the Justice Department requesting an investigation into the Milwaukee County district attorney's office and its handling of the John Doe investigation.

<snip>

Bucher's letter, which you can read here, states that "this John Doe has consistently leaked like a sieve, and has blatantly abused the rights and reputations of individuals who have no way of defending themselves without violating the secrecy orders surrounding the investigation."

<snip>

Milwaukee County prosecutors have leaked no stories regarding the John Doe investigation to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, which has broken every story on developments in the 23-month probe.

Last September, sources told the Journal Sentinel that Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen had been asked to assist in the investigation of Walker, his former and current aides. But Van Hollen's office declined, sources told the Journal Sentinel.

<snip>

Walker has repeatedly declined to criticize the investigation. On Tuesday, the first-term Republican governor said he and his attorneys were cooperating with the probe.

Bucher said in his letter that he had previously sent a letter to Judge Neal Nettesheim, who is presiding over the John Doe. In that letter, Bucher said he had raised concerns that 43 people in the district attorney's office had signed petitions to recall Walker.

However, prosecutors overseeing the long-running Doe investigation weren't among those who signed, said Chief Deputy District Attorney Kent Lovern.

Media Trackers, a conservative research group, has alleged that 43 staffers in the district attorney's office had signed the Walker recall. They said 20 attorneys in the office and 23 secretaries and support staff had signed the petitions.

<snip>

Bucher declined to confirm or deny he was representing one of more people who have been involved in the ongoing Doe probe. But Bucher, a defense attorney since losing his bid for the Republican nomination for attorney general in 2006, has represented a client in the John Doe investigation, the Journal Sentinel has learned.

Asked why he had written the letter, Bucher replied, “I’m a citizen interested in fairness and the outcome of this process."

<snip>

Bucher alleged in his letter that the announcement of charges against former Walker aides "appear in some cases to have been made with an eye toward political timing. This appearance has allowed some to call into question whether this investigation is a legitimate exercise of prosecutorial activity and discretion or whether this is merely a partisan political witch hunt."
Now Walker says the investigation started because he asked Chisholm to start it?! Is that what he's claiming?!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:51 PM

Here's a story on the investigation from the lefty Mother Jones, with a timeline of events.

Quote:
UPDATE 3, Friday, March 9, 5:40 p.m.: Gov. Scott Walker announced the creation of his own legal defense fund in connection with the John Doe probe that has so far resulted in criminal charges against former Walker aides when he was Milwaukee County executive. (For details on those charges, see above.)

Walker's creation of a legal defense fund is the strongest sign yet that the governor may be directly implicated in the ongoing investigation, led by the Milwaukee County district attorney. As WisPolitics.com notes, Wisconsin law says that individuals may start a legal defense fund only if they're under investigation or being charged for violating state campaign finance or election laws. Under state law, Walker can't ask for contributions to the legal defense fund, but he can transfer campaign donations to the defense fund if the donor okays the transfer. In January, Walker's recall campaign said it had raised $4.5 million between December 11 and January 17, and that it had more than $2.6 million on hand.

Here's Walker's full announcement:

Quote:
"For nearly two years, Milwaukee County officials have been examining issues related to former employees of the County. I have repeatedly pledged my cooperation with that inquiry. I also made it clear that no public money has been used, or will be used, to pay for the attorneys needed to review documents and assist me in cooperating.

"To fulfill my commitment, I have today formed a legal fund to pay for the expenses incurred in cooperating with the inquiry. The fund will operate in accordance with the Wisconsin law authorizing these accounts, which was passed almost 30 years ago."
Michael Maistelman, a Milwaukee attorney who represents Democratic and Republican clients, says that from his reading of state law and Walker's announcement, "One can only draw the conclusion that he's being investigated or he's being prosecuted." However, Ciara Matthews, a spokeswoman for Walker's recall campaign, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: "We reiterate that Gov. Walker has been told that he is not a target of this investigation."
Old 05-30-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Barrett is limited to $10K donations, unlike Walker.
Wrong. Recall fundraising provision had broad support
Quote:
Indeed, while Democrats have slammed the provision, the same state law also allows committees seeking the recall of an official to raise funds without worrying about the normal limits - and Democratic state senators facing recalls had the same chance in the summer of 2011.
Quote:
Walker cannot use donations above the normal $10,000 limit for campaign expenses during the actual election period - from March 30 through June 5. He has to use the money for expenses related to challenging the recall drive, which ran from Nov. 15 to March 30.

So if he raised more over-the-limit funds than his expenses for TV ads and mailers during the recall drive, he will have to return the money or give it to other officials' campaign funds or to charity. That accounting has not yet been done.

Contributions the governor takes in now during the recall election period have to be within the usual limits.
So, both sides could have accepted unlimited $ during the recall period, and both are currently subject to the $10k limit during the election period.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:47 PM

." However, Ciara Matthews, a spokeswoman for Walker's recall campaign, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: "We reiterate that Gov. Walker has been told that he is not a target of this investigation."
After a year and a half, no charges filed against Walker. What are the chances that any are filed in the future?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Apparently pretty high, or he wouldn't be looking to fund his defense against them.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Apparently pretty high, or he wouldn't be looking to fund his defense against them.
Well, he calls it "a legal fund to pay for the expenses incurred in cooperating with the inquiry," but you don't need to be a lawyer to parse that. In fact, as I understand it, in some English-speaking countries (the UK, maybe others), "is assisting the police with their inquiries" is a standard and transparent euphemism for "is under arrest."
Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Na, it's called getting your ducks in a row, he has the money available now, so he funds his defense.
If his emails are so needed by the investigation, why did they not subpoena them?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post

1. The state Supreme Court packed with ALEC seleted judges? The whole corruption of the state started when outside rightwing groups started massive funding in Wisconsin's court elections.

2. Practice in the state legislature since inception and up until the issue was litigated last year was the 24 hour hour rule, so the spirit, if not the letter, of the law was violated.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Na, it's called getting your ducks in a row, he has the money available now, so he funds his defense.
If his emails are so needed by the investigation, why did they not subpoena them?
How do you know they didn't? In the Wisconsin legal system, John Doe proceedings are very hush-hush, hence the name.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Quick question for ya. Who started the John Doe investigation?
John T. Chisholm, DA of Milwaukee County. And not even you believe it was because Walker asked him to do it.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Hobbes View Post
Wrong. Recall fundraising provision had broad support

So, both sides could have accepted unlimited $ during the recall period, and both are currently subject to the $10k limit during the election period.
Since Barrett was not being recalled, he was limited. This explains why Walker, after raising $31 million has only $1.6 in the bank. He spent most of it on TV ads before March 30 and sent another $160K into his legal defense fund.

All this ignores the SuperPac spending which is unregulated and unreported.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
John T. Chisholm, DA of Milwaukee County. And not even you believe it was because Walker asked him to do it.
Walker said he did. Do have proof he stated a falsehood?
No, you only have your doubt.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Walker said he did. Do have proof he stated a falsehood?
No, you only have your doubt.
There is no presumption of innocence. This here is a court of public opinion, not law, and so is the recall election.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
There is no presumption of innocence. This here is a court of public opinion, not law, and so is the recall election.
He made a call to the DA about an employee of his, as was his duty. This is a fact.
He DA looked into it and no charges were filed.This is also a fact.

If this was not true wouldn't it be all over the interwebs?
It's not like he claimed to have invented the internet. Would the DA not correct him if he was making a substantial misrepresentation of the facts of an investigation?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
He made a call to the DA about an employee of his, as was his duty. This is a fact.
Wait, now, do you have any cite for that "fact" other than Walker's own press release?

Quote:
He DA looked into it and no charges were filed.This is also a fact.
Yet. No charges have been filed yet on anyone. See below.

Quote:
If this was not true wouldn't it be all over the interwebs?
It is. Haven't you noticed?

Quote:
It's not like he claimed to have invented the internet.
Please don't ever do that again. Al Gore:

1) Never claimed to have invented the Internet.

2) Actually did invent it, to the extent any politician could claim that.

Quote:
Would the DA not correct him if he was making a substantial misrepresentation of the facts of an investigation?
Not in a John Doe proceeding, I should think. Names will be named, and other details disclosed, when the Grand Jury brings its indictments, not before.

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 05-30-2012 at 07:22 PM..
Old 05-30-2012, 07:31 PM

OK, you got me. I have no cites other than the word of a Governor of the United States (you know how they lie).
You got me on the "invent" thing too. I was wrong.

But in a year and a half or so you will admit you were wrong about the John Doe?

Wiki:Prosecution of most crimes must be commenced within a certain time period that is established by a statute of limitation. The state generally has six years to commence prosecution of a felony (a crime for which a person may be sentenced to one year or more in prison) and three years for a misdemeanor (a crime for which the maximum penalty is a year in jail).
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
OK, you got me. I have no cites other than the word of a Governor of the United States (you know how they lie).
You're right. A Governor of the United States would never lie.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
You're right. A Governor of the United States would never lie.
The excluded middle,yes, thanks.

BrainG, I didn't answer your question.
How do I know the emails were not subpoenaed? I guess if they were subpoenaed and Walker didn't turn them over, Barrett would be shouting that from the rooftops. He's not ,so they didn't. QED.
PS What ever happened to the poster QED?

Last edited by FE3O4ENAIL; 05-30-2012 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Had too, I didn't want to but they made me. Bastards.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The excluded middle,yes, thanks.
Says the guy who accused someone of thinking that all governors lie.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Says the guy who accused someone of thinking that all governors lie.
OK, Scott Walker is a big fat liar and soon the good people of Wisconsin will rise together and smote the foe that darkens their doorway. Better?