The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 06-20-2012, 08:49 AM

Latest in the Deep-Fried Food category -- Deep Fried Cereal

Quote:
As summer fair season begins, so does an onslaught of fried foods. Deep-fried cereal, made with Trix and Cinnamon Toast Crunch, debuted at the San Diego fair this month. The fried treat is drizzled with syrup and topped with a few pieces of cereal.

Despite their hype, the cereal balls debuted to discouraging reviews.

"Now, when I was trying the deep-fried Cinnamon Toast Crunch, the pool of grease in the bottom of the basket made me clutch my heart a little. The doughy ball of greasy cereal wasn't bad, but it definitely isn't something I'd go out of my way to buy. Candace called the Trix edition 'disappointing,'" wrote one reviewer.
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...opstories.html

Not as gross as Deep-Fried Butter, or Deep-Fried Lard, or (my favorite for over-the-top grossness) Deep Fried Bacon-Wrapped Cheese-Filled Hot Dogs. But certainly awful enough.

Our daughter MilliCal is deeply health-conscious , but she tried a Deep Fried Twinkie a couple of weks ago. And just yesterday she and a friend got Fried Dough.
Advertisements  
Old 06-20-2012, 08:53 AM

Hmm sounds like a dish I love. Google image search "cereal prawns".
Old 06-20-2012, 09:09 AM

I had a deep-fried rice krispies treat once, years ago. I'm betting these wouldn't taste as good though, because the crisped-up marshmallow fluff was half the fun.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Moved MPSIMS --> Cafe Society, though I certainly understand the original placement.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronX View Post
Hmm sounds like a dish I love. Google image search "cereal prawns".
It's Cereal Prawns without the Prawns!

Kinda like Quaid's "Hamburger Helper without the Hamburger" in National Lampoon's Vacation.

I've made fried chicken with crushed corn flake crusting, but I don't really think I'd compare it to fried Corn Flaks by themselves.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 06-20-2012 at 09:24 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM

Sounds kind of pointless. The idea behind deep frying something is to make the insides nice and hot and hopefully melty, gooey, etc.
Make a candy bar warm and melty? Good idea.
Make an oreo warm, soft, and crumbly? Good idea.
Crunchy cereal? What's the point?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

I saw a different blog post about this that featured a photo of the guy's booth.

It had the sentence "Deep Fried White Castle" on it. I had never wrapped my mouth or my mind around those four words, and I don't want to wrap my mouth or my mind around them again.

I'd hate to see what the outer limits of deep frying would be.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRobyn View Post
. . .

I'd hate to see what the outer limits of deep frying would be.
I really thought we'd reached end game when somebody figured out how to deep-fry a stick of butter.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Has anybody deep fried a marshmellow yet? Or liquid nitrogen?

Last edited by billfish678; 06-20-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I saw a vendor selling Deep Fried Kool Aid last year. I didn't buy or see any, though, so I had a hard time envisioning what that would mean.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:04 PM

There is no limit on how fat people in the USA are ready, willing and able to get; so I suspect fried baby formula is next.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorgirl View Post
I saw a vendor selling Deep Fried Kool Aid last year. I didn't buy or see any, though, so I had a hard time envisioning what that would mean.
It's a sphere of batter with a squirt of liquid in the centre. I believe they freeze a ball of Kool-Aid (or butter or what have you), coat it in batter and deep fry it. The batter forms a watertight coating, so the liquid can't seep out right away.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
It's a sphere of batter with a squirt of liquid in the centre. I believe they freeze a ball of Kool-Aid (or butter or what have you), coat it in batter and deep fry it. The batter forms a watertight coating, so the liquid can't seep out right away.

Interesting
Old 06-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Actually, I think they just add Kool-Aid powder to the batter and essentially fry cherry flavoured batter.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Actually, I think they just add Kool-Aid powder to the batter and essentially fry cherry flavoured batter.
If you say so. But the deep-fried butter I had was a hollow shell with a little melted butter on the inside.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:22 PM

We had a thread on this last year.

They've been making Deep Fried Kool Aid and Deep Fried Beer by mixing the liquid with dry batter, then either coating that with liquid batter and deep frying, or just deep-frying the liquid-moistened batter.

For my money, deep-fried Lard (which I cited last year, and gave webpages) is more "ultimate" than deep-fried butter, although I think the deep-fried bacon-wrapped cheese-stuffed hot dogs are much grosser. YMMV.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Jeez, am I the only one that thinks these guys seriously lack in creativity?

There are still lots of great ideas out there for fried goodness. things that don't include just any random thing that happens to pop up in one's mind.

Just the other day, a friend of mine served up some stuffed chicken bites wrapped in bacon. (inside was cream cheese and jalapenos) Deep fried with a panko breading crust. Holy crap they were good!

If I'm gonna die from a heart attack, I'd rather it be from that than 'deep fried cereal'.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Deep Fried Bacon-Wrapped Cheese-Filled Hot Dogs.
That actually sounds pretty good. And normal.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-20-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Old 06-20-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
That actually sounds pretty good. And normal.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of them or anything, but it sounds like those corn dogs with cheese in the middle. . plus some bacon. Not terribly out of the realm of American normalcy.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 PM

fffffffff now I need a funnel cake sundae, except I'm not driving all the way up to Gurnee and paying to get into Six Flags just for that!

Where else can one get a funnel cake sundae, I wonder?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:09 PM

Well, you could always go healthy and pair it with a deep fried salad.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 PM

I wonder how deep-fried yogurt would taste.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
fffffffff now I need a funnel cake sundae, except I'm not driving all the way up to Gurnee and paying to get into Six Flags just for that!

Where else can one get a funnel cake sundae, I wonder?
Uhmmmm, make it yourself?

My absolute favorite is funnel cake topped with apple pie filling. Add a scoop of real vanilla ice cream and sprinkle on some cinnamon ... beyond ecstasy!

The only thing that might be better is drizzling some caramel or butterscotch syrup over the ice cream, instead of adding plain cinnamon. Or, hell, just do both!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 AM

Deep fried sweetened condensed milk would tempt me (done the frozen way)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post

My absolute favorite is funnel cake topped with apple pie filling. Add a scoop of real vanilla ice cream and sprinkle on some cinnamon ... beyond ecstasy!

The only thing that might be better is drizzling some caramel or butterscotch syrup over the ice cream, instead of adding plain cinnamon. Or, hell, just do both!
The last carnival that came through had red velvet funnel cakes with cream cheese icing drizzles. I don't understand why Carnies aren't fat.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
The last carnival that came through had red velvet funnel cakes with cream cheese icing drizzles. I don't understand why Carnies aren't fat.
You think they actually eat that stuff?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBee View Post
You think they actually eat that stuff?
Have you seen their teeth?*

*Lord, I apologize for that there. And be with the starving Pygmy's in New Guinea. Amen.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I've never had Deep Fried Butter or Beer (although I would try both!)... but these cherry-flavored fried batter balls are EXACTLY what I had at the fair last year. No liquid interior. Just a pink hush puppy.

Here's a knock-off recipe: http://landercakecompany.com/2011/06...-balls-recipe/

Last edited by Doctor Who; 06-21-2012 at 11:10 AM..
Old 06-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post

Damn you!

I happened to be at the store today for various items. (Not funnel cake) As I'm cruising up and down the isles, my eyes happen upon "Funnel Cake Mix". I've been going to this store for well over a decade. Not once have I ever noticed funnel cake mix.

Once I did, I thought of your post and figured it must be a sign from the "Funnel cake gods". So I went ahead and dropped it in my basket, along with apple pie filling and ice cream. (Cinnamon I have at home.)

I plan on making it tonight.

My heart attack in on your hands terentii!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerInNJ View Post
There is no limit on how fat people in the USA are ready, willing and able to get; so I suspect fried baby formula is next.
Hey, it's not just Americans. My understanding is this craze for deep frying unconventional food-like objects started with the deep-fried Mars bar, which originated in Scotland.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
I went ahead and dropped it in my basket, along with apple pie filling and ice cream. (Cinnamon I have at home.)

I plan on making it tonight.

My heart attack in on your hands terentii!
Let me know how that works out for you!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Hey, it's not just Americans. My understanding is this craze for deep frying unconventional food-like objects started with the deep-fried Mars bar, which originated in Scotland.
Home of deep-fried pizza.

I've had deep-fried black pudding before, and that was tasty. I've always been more about deep-frying savoury things.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Foolscap View Post
I've had deep-fried black pudding before, and that was tasty.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm! Rounds or links? Battered or unbattered?

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE battered, deep-fried bangers! They're at least as good as Pronto Pups (corn dogs).

The latter have to be deep-fried in fresh lard for best results!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:58 PM

I've posted this before, but my wedding cake was fried cheesecake. (Other Shoe and I took the day off work to have a quiet wedding - in jeans, with just his parents and the judge - and then we went to the fair for our "honeymoon" since we've already been shacking up together for a decade.)

I suppose that means my wedding supper was chicken-fried bacon, the first bite of which nearly convinced my that there is, in fact, a belevolent Og. The fact that I was watching the pig races at the time just added to the fun!

(Seriously, though, if you're at the Texas State Fair, do NOT miss the chicken-fried bacon. Assuming, of course, that you like bacon. And fried things. And if you don't - why are you in this thread anyway?)
Old 06-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Wouldn't deep-fried butter just be Chicken Kiev without the nasty, dry, tasteless chicken breast? Sized right (pats not sticks) it could be good, especially if the fry oil was previously used for Blooming Onions.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Wouldn't deep-fried butter just be Chicken Kiev without the nasty, dry, tasteless chicken breast? Sized right (pats not sticks) it could be good, especially if the fry oil was previously used for Blooming Onions.
You poor thing -- you've never hsad good Chicken Kiev.

And, even without the chicken, it's not the same unless they add unlikely spices to the batter.