The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > About This Message Board

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Finally, this whole thread is rather "strange". ATMB is supposed to be about the administration of the board (mainly) and bitching about other posters goes to the Pit. There is nothing said in the original post expressing dissatisfaction about administration.
But thats the way the powers that be want it.

You can bitch a person out in the Pit for doing what you think is stupid thing X....but since it's not in ATMB its just bitching and or name callling. Or you can complain about action X here in ATMB but you aren't technically supposed to mention the actual poster that is the reason you are bitching about X in the first place.

Whatcha gonna do?

Dio milked this "problem" for years
Advertisements  
Old 09-13-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Finally, this whole thread is rather "strange". ATMB is supposed to be about the administration of the board (mainly) and bitching about other posters goes to the Pit. There is nothing said in the original post expressing dissatisfaction about administration.
I agree. Marley himself said this is not the appropriate place to put etv78 through the wringer. How is it this thread hasn't been closed or moved to the Pit?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I can't see how getting further data is not a good idea if you are researching a book.

That aside, Private Messages (IMHO) should be kept private.
I didn't post the PM, I just vaguely described (to the best of my bad recollection) the general content. The actual PM remained private.

But let me just say, he was actually asking about someone with spina bifida. If he has spina bifida himself, WHY would he ever ask another person- who doesn't even have the condition-(but is simply also handicapped) for information about how that condition affects the daily life of those it afflicts?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I can't see how getting further data is not a good idea if you are researching a book.

Bolding mine.

Is ATMB for that? I have never quite figured out what this forum is for. Bug/ad/malware complaints get joked away, and a lot of the griping about mods ends with "take it to the pit" or a polite version of "fuck off".

Mods, maybe you should make a sticky about "What ATMB is for".

It is half toilet, half daycare.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monkey With a Gun View Post
Do we harbor trolls, or not?
Of course not. Trolls live under bridges, not in harbors.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I get the hypotheticals, but I don't buy them here. Marley is looking at the forest, and I'm trying to point out that the forest is going to stay there - but there's a tree about to fall on his house.
Talking with you I feel like I'm on crazy pills. Voltaire was the one advancing that the hypothetical was plausible.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 PM

The reason this is in ATMB is the question auolycus quoted above. Do we harbor trolls? What should the mods do if someone talks here about troliing over there?

I think that's a good question that deserves to be in ATMB.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 PM

Wait until the poster does something actionable? It's crazy but it just might work.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Wait until the poster does something actionable? It's crazy but it just might work.
Where have I heard that before? Oh, right, me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monkey With a Gun
Like I said in the first sentence of the OP, I don't know what to think. We have mods from other boards chasing this guy down, but I haven't personally seen anything here that violates the rules. I'm not asking for any SDMB mod action, but I am suggesting that y'all watch this guy like a hawk.
Quote:
Just watch him, Tuba. That's all I ask.
Quote:
Now, as I said earlier, I recommend the mods do nothing - except watch the guy like a hawk.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 PM

That's still a hilariously over the top reaction. Why, so the minute he posts about his aircraft hangar of a vagina, he can be banned on the spot? If he loses his cool, the half a day it may take to ban him won't touch you in the no-no place so relax.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Doesn't anyone else want to defeat other boards in a war? Jeez guys, stay on point!

We could rule the internet, you, I, and the rest of us. We'd be Borg! What's not to like about that? Why are we quibbling when we could be sending out our probes and star destroyers?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
Talking with you I feel like I'm on crazy pills. Voltaire was the one advancing that the hypothetical was plausible.
It is plausible, and I did mention it, but a board war is in no way required to result from the actions I believe should be warning worthy on their own.

If you troll elsewhere and the effects of your (confirmed) trolling come here, you should get warned for trolling here. It's really the effects of trolling that we want to avoid, so it's the effects of trolling that should trigger a warning - where the trolling began isn't what's important.

It's not necessarily true in this situation, but for all we know, the whole thing bleeding over on to this board could have been intentional. If that kind of thing ain't against the rules, it ought to be. To risk extending the hypothetical, what if etv were to do something similar again, and some other board's mod come complaining over here? Play on? Not our problem?

And it's not too hard to moderate against, and it's not a slippery slope - if someone is reasonably proven/admits to trolling, and their trolling has any impact on this board, they get a warning. No biggie, don't do it again and you'll be fine. Continue to do it, and you're gone, eventually. Seems reasonable, workable, and effectual, to me.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
It is plausible, and I did mention it, but a board war is in no way required to result from the actions I believe should be warning worthy on their own.
Guys, get a life. There's no such thing as "board wars" (sorry FGIE). There is such a thing as board members who take their boards way too seriously and think everybody else takes it as seriously as they do.

It is said that "On the Internet, nobody knows your a dog." Is etv78 a spinal bifida sufferer? Does he have a whale's vagina? I surely don't know.

I also don't know how, reasonably, I could ever be certain of these things. And still less so, why I might want to expend even a scintilla of effort to figure them out for certain.

So, yes, going forward, feel free to have your private doubts. But this sentiment of "We must get to the bottom of this, for great justice!" is truly risible.

Last edited by Kimmy_Gibbler; 09-13-2012 at 09:21 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 09:30 PM

A Monkey With a Gun, look at me. Look at my eyes. Umkay can never hurt you again. We have caught her. She can't hurt you anymore.

Now stop letting the bad memories to haunt you. Like Stickler said, your no-no place is safe. You are just traumatized, is all. It's over now...you are wiser and you won't be suckered ever again.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy_Gibbler View Post
Guys, get a life. There's no such thing as "board wars"
<snip>
I also don't know how, reasonably, I could ever be certain of these things.
You can't, because you're demonstrably wrong.

Quote:
And still less so, why I might want to expend even a scintilla of effort to figure them out for certain.
Now, you've got a point.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
A Monkey With a Gun, look at me. Look at my eyes. Umkay can never hurt you again. We have caught her. She can't hurt you anymore.
OK, that's funny.

You will always be my Queen, Nzinga.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 PM

This whole discussion is insane. Why don't we start pulling out Dopers at random and watch them like hawks in case they try to spam us. Any one of you might be the next to create a puppet.

Damnit! Wait for the rules to be broken. What any of you do anywhere else, when you're on another board, or just cringing in the corner because you're afraid of the dark doesn't matter here. You'll all be here complaining about jack-booted mods as soon as you flagrantly violate the rules, but you're willing to conduct a witch hunt when no rules have been violated.

Last edited by TriPolar; 09-13-2012 at 09:48 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
This whole discussion is insane. Why don't we start pulling out Dopers at random and watch them like hawks in case they try to spam us. Any one of you might be the next to create a puppet.

Damnit! Wait for the rules to be broken. What any of you do anywhere else, when you're on another board, or just cringing in the corner because you're afraid of the dark doesn't matter here. You'll all be here complaining about jack-booted mods as soon as you flagrantly violate the rules, but you're willing to conduct a witch hunt when no rules have been violated.
Could you point out anyone who's being any where near as hyperbolic as you are?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:01 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Wait a sec...(bolding mine) Who's the "someone else?" He admitted he did these things.
I was referring to punishing etv78 if his actions had caused a board war. He either deserves punishment or not; that doesn't change because of what people on another board do in response to his behavior. And we understand your warning about him. We started discussing what to do about this situation yesterday, not that long after BPFMod showed up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
Marley was talking about a hypothetical situation in which etv78 caused a board war. I'm perfectly aware, as I'm overwhelmingly sure is Marley, that there isn't going to be a board war and that etv78 was acting alone.
Correct. Although nobody was saying etv78 was going to start a board war; they were talking about people coming over here because they were mad etv78 trolled their board.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Could you point out anyone who's being any where near as hyperbolic as you are?
I don't understand why that would matter. I'm naturally hyperbolic, I was sectioned out of cone. But that's another story. The premise that anything needs to be done about Doper that has done nothing wrong, and concerns about a non-existent board war (oh my, perhaps the other board has WMDs!!), and watching a Doper like a hawk because someone else doesn't like him is conceptually hyperbolic at best, and bat shit nuts at worst.

Last edited by TriPolar; 09-13-2012 at 10:07 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaRhubarb View Post
Bolding mine.

Is ATMB for that? I have never quite figured out what this forum is for. Bug/ad/malware complaints get joked away, and a lot of the griping about mods ends with "take it to the pit" or a polite version of "fuck off".

Mods, maybe you should make a sticky about "What ATMB is for".

It is half toilet, half daycare.
Just from the menu (descriptions of ATMB):

"Comments and complaints about SDMB administration should go in About This Message Board."

"For all questions, comments, and complaints about the SDMB. This is also the place for test threads.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:

If you troll elsewhere and the effects of your (confirmed) trolling come here, you should get warned for trolling here. It's really the effects of trolling that we want to avoid, so it's the effects of trolling that should trigger a warning - where the trolling began isn't what's important.
Etv didn't do anything here. He didn't make that other guy create an account and start slagging on dopers. Okay, a doper. If any warnings are handed out, it should be to bfpmoddude for being a shit-stirrer. Etv didn't post a link or name any boards. He stayed comfortably generic.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
bat shit nuts at worst.
A good description of this thread's existence and the moderators' inaction on closing it or moving it.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:01 AM
DramQueen

Quote:

There was a post from a mod here in ATMB a while back saying no, you were perfectly free to post any PMs you'd received. But that you might be a dick, for doing so :P

[off-topic aside]I wish I'd known that back on Valentine's day when I got a lovely little piece of hatemail through the PM system.[/off-topic aside]
Old 09-14-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Now stop letting the bad memories to haunt you. Like Stickler said, your no-no place is safe. You are just traumatized, is all. It's over now...you are wiser and you won't be suckered ever again.
This is just...freaking hilarious!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 AM

I appreciate AClockWorkMelon's posts, esp in this thread, agree with everyone who think this thread is absurd - at least in this forum.
This is a barbeque issue, not an ATMB, one. If anyone should be pitted though it should be the person who recently joined, apparently for the sole reason of attacking ETV - which they were able to do, over-the-top inappropriately and with sock puppet style - without so much as a mod note, let alone any warning for it.

Is there any way to verify their authenticity? How do we know who they are?

This thread should serve as an example that monkeys are not qualified to handle a gun, have no business associating themselves with one. With shrill and angry voices seething froth and spittle, we should be grilling moderators and administration! "How did this monkey get ahold of a gun? Who's responsible for this and who should be held accountable?!
Are steps being taken to disarm this monkey? Take their gun away once and for all? Nationally Enquiring minds demand to know!! And if you aren't able to disarm this monkey, take their gun away for good, then at least please, for the love of god and everyone's safety, keep an eye on them at all times!!" ~snort~
Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Imp View Post
There was a post from a mod here in ATMB a while back saying no, you were perfectly free to post any PMs you'd received. But that you might be a dick, for doing so :P

[off-topic aside]I wish I'd known that back on Valentine's day when I got a lovely little piece of hatemail through the PM system.[/off-topic aside]
Oh yes I agree that you can post them and at times it may be necessary to do so. In general though, it is my view (and obviously others have different thoughts) that the content should not be published. For a start it is not out in the open and can't be verified.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lone cashew View Post
I appreciate AClockWorkMelon's posts, esp in this thread,...<snip>
No kidding. Even Job was saying, "Forget it, Melon. It's useless. Curse god and be done with this thread."
Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's really not that strange. This thread is about what the administration should do when a poster is a known troll - just not necessarily here. We know the guy is a troll. He said it in his OP. Do we harbor trolls, or not?

Now, as I said earlier, I recommend the mods do nothing - except watch the guy like a hawk.
I see what you are driving at but this is coming across as a pseudo pitting.

In the past if I have had suspicions about a poster I have just emailed a Mod and outlined what I thought the issue was. That way it stayed with them (their responsibility, not mine) and I didn't end up with egg on my face when my fears turned out to be groundless
Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

What Cicero said.

And just because a guy qualifies as a troll on another board it doesn't automatically follow that he's a troll on this one It's the behavior here that matters. (Although I guess his actions elsewhere might become relevant if he were already under scrutiny here by the staff for something or other.)
Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Does nobody else care why etv78 PMed Ambivalid claiming to be an author wanting info on the life of a handicapped person? This sounds juicy to me.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:46 AM

Missed the edit window, but I just realized I probably should have posted that last post in the BBQ Pit thread rather than this. Sorry!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Just from the menu (descriptions of ATMB):

"Comments and complaints about SDMB administration should go in About This Message Board."

"For all questions, comments, and complaints about the SDMB. This is also the place for test threads.

Thank you.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Just watch him, Tuba. That's all I ask.
If you're so concerned why don't you. Your the one getting all Mr. Concerny Cerned so why are you wanting someone else to waste their time for you?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:24 AM

I vote we posters form a "concerned posters society", tasked with monitoring from within the community the activities of posters I arbitrarily decide just aren't our type.

I vote me for group chairman. Vigilante action may or may not follow, I could not possibly comment on that.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
I vote we posters form a "concerned posters society", tasked with monitoring from within the community the activities of posters I arbitrarily decide just aren't our type.

I vote me for group chairman. Vigilante action may or may not follow, I could not possibly comment on that.
Here you go!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:48 AM

That's just great. Now we have to avoid wearing hoodies and carrying skittles while posting.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:57 AM

Yes, you should avoid carrying the skittles. That's just evidence for the po-po. You should have eaten the skittles immediately after you stole them.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
That's just great. Now we have to avoid wearing hoodies and carrying skittles while posting.
Hoodies are ok. I would avoid wheelchairs though.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
Hoodies are ok. I would avoid wheelchairs though.
Especially while snowboarding.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Not to keep bringing this up; but I really do find it odd that etv PM'ed me asking about what the daily challenges might be for a character with spina bifida in a book he's writing. No?

I don't care if he's a troll, I just find it interesting that this board member; who has been here for years and has supposedly been known here as having spina bifida (or has he just been known as "disabled"?) would ask a relatively new handicapped member for insight into the daily challenges faced by someone using a wheelchair.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:43 PM

Because it's always interesting to hear someone else's story. Perhaps etv has been in a wheelchair for most of his life and wanted to know how someone who had to make a hard transition from full mobility to a wheelchair feels. Perhaps he lives in a particularly handicap-friendly town and wants to hear about what it's like to live somewhere less adapted. Or any of a million variations that could be a difference between the two of you.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Because it's always interesting to hear someone else's story. Perhaps etv has been in a wheelchair for most of his life and wanted to know how someone who had to make a hard transition from full mobility to a wheelchair feels. Perhaps he lives in a particularly handicap-friendly town and wants to hear about what it's like to live somewhere less adapted. Or any of a million variations that could be a difference between the two of you.
Exactly. I'm not sure why he asked you either, but it's easy to think of hypothetical reasons. etv78 has been saying since 2002 that he has spina bifida (leaving aside the fact that people in this thread are saying they've met the guy), so I think it's unlikely the question had anything to do with how he represents himself on the SDMB.

Last edited by Marley23; 09-14-2012 at 12:45 PM..
Old 09-14-2012, 12:46 PM

People on the board have met him in meatspace. The Dope has a long and storied history of people attempting to use it to write a book for them. Maybe it was just a socially awkward way of trying to strike up conversation with you.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Edit 2: Actually... I've got it! A story about a ninja with spina bifida! It's gonna be a hit! Ambivalid, etv78, what kind of challenges would such a character face? I want to get into his headspace, you know?

Last edited by AClockworkMelon; 09-14-2012 at 12:47 PM..
Old 09-14-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I almost choked on my bourbon. Hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy_Gibbler View Post
Guys, get a life.

So, yes, going forward, feel free to have your private doubts. But this sentiment of "We must get to the bottom of this, for great justice!" is truly risible.
Seriously. When I saw the thread title, my first thought was "Why?" Then I read the OP and thought, "We need to throw this in the quarry where it belongs." If he shows clear signs of trolling here, then they can ban him, like they always do. Until then, it's just some dude admitting to having done dumb things on the internet. Get off the case, Nancy Drew.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
He was looking for information for a character with Spina Bifida. With a T-7 injury level. Has anyone ever heard of him discuss his own injury level before? He was asking very specific questions.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
He was looking for information for a character with Spina Bifida. With a T-7 injury level. Has anyone ever heard of him discuss his own injury level before? He was asking very specific questions.
Maybe he was trying to find out if you were a troll. Why don't you drop it already. The point of this thread is to ridicule an armed simian.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Missed the edit window.

He was not asking about any aspect of my life specifically.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 09-14-2012 at 01:22 PM..
Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
How does this line of curiosity have anything to do with About This Message Board forum?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lone cashew View Post
How does this line of curiosity have anything to do with About This Message Board forum?
I was just replying to another post.
Closed Thread