The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 09-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiosaBellissima View Post
Whynot seemed to be questioning the premise that it made someone sleepy for a few days and then made them hyper. Plenty of people get hyper from it, they just get hyper from pill 1. . . not 5 days later.
Exactly. I'm well aware that some people have the "idiosyncratic" or "perverse" reaction to antihistamines, where it makes them wired and jittery instead of sleepy. That's a big reason why parents who are considering drugging their babies for airplane rides are really behooved (behooven?) to try it out before the travel date (with their doctor's okay, of course), lest they wind up with a wired tot at 50,000 feet.

It's the pattern seen here that I've never heard of before, where it makes you sleepy for a couple of days and then gives you the stimulant effect on the third day. Mind you, I'm not at all saying it can't happen or you're mistaken, not at all. More of a "hmm, that's very interesting, I want to know more about that, 'cause maybe that explains why some people I know don't seem to have much luck with it for insomnia long term."
Advertisements  
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 PM

zzNyquil

What good is zzNyquil without the 10% booze?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 PM

I tried ZzzQuil, and it had no effect on me. None.

I tried Sominex. All that did was make my hands tingle. I don't even know if that stuff is still made anymore.

I once asked my doctor for a prescription sleep aid. He said no, he didn't want me to get reliant on them. Gee, thanks pal.

The only thing that sort of works, sometimes, is Midol.

And no, counting sheep doesn't help, and I can't stand warm milk.

Sometimes I lay awake until morning, and think to myself, well, at least I'll fall asleep next time. I hope.

My doctor doesn't want me to get "reliant" on them. What an asshole.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 PM

I have serious insomnia, and I was given a prescription antihistamine called hydroxyzine and it worked for me even though Benadryl never did. The only problem is that the half-life is 20 hours so it made me really drowsy the next day.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
. . . My doctor doesn't want me to get "reliant" on them. What an asshole.
Well, yes and no. Sure, he's a jerk because he isn't helping you with your symptoms... But he's right: reliance can lead to addiction, and addiction can lead to problems that would make you pray to God merely to have insomnia again.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
Well, yes and no. Sure, he's a jerk because he isn't helping you with your symptoms... But he's right: reliance can lead to addiction, and addiction can lead to problems that would make you pray to God merely to have insomnia again.
Except that to have an addiction, you need an addictive personality, which in my fifty years of life, I've never had trouble with. Suck it up was this doofus' advice.
Why is anyone else with insomnia entitled to a dose of Ambien or whatever, and I'm not? It doesn't make any frickin' sense.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Except that to have an addiction, you need an addictive personality
No, I don't think this is quite right. I think addiction is possible without an addictive personality but having such a personality makes one more susceptible to addiction.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:14 AM

Yoo !

all jokes aside it usually takes me like ten of the 50 mg Unisom sleepaid pills to go to sleep. when i took this zzzQuil oh my god bro this shits AMAZING! from taking all them pills everynite i definately shortened my life i do know that and caused my self life long pain but this zzzQuil man is good shit. of course i dont take just the regular 2 tablespoons but it makes me physically feel 100% better before during and after i take this shit. i highly recomend this shit
Old 03-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Huh. ZzzQuil is absolutely useless to me. I tried it and it kept me up. No thanks. Useless. Melatonin is actually more beneficial for me, and that's saying something.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkiieJones View Post
all jokes aside it usually takes me like ten of the 50 mg Unisom sleepaid pills to go to sleep. when i took this zzzQuil oh my god bro this shits AMAZING! from taking all them pills everynite i definately shortened my life i do know that and caused my self life long pain but this zzzQuil man is good shit. of course i dont take just the regular 2 tablespoons but it makes me physically feel 100% better before during and after i take this shit. i highly recomend this shit
I can foresee no negative future consequences from following your advice, good sir. I shall avail myself of this wonder product as soon as can be arranged.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS View Post
Me too, for any use at all. Benadryl or the equivalent and I cannot sleep AT ALL. My doctor said the same thing as yours.
Me as well! I wish it would put me to sleep. It gives me restless, crawly legs. I am awake all night if I take any.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:12 PM

I take zzzquil

I know I'm resurrecting this post, but i wanted to put this info out there, sorry guys. I have been taking zquil for a few months now, I have pretty bad insomnia and have for a few years. For a while I was drinking a few shots of vodka every night to sleep, and as you can imagine, ran into a problem. So i switched to nyquil, viewing it as the lesser of two evils. One day while in the local pharm I noticed zquil mistakenly stocked next to the nyquil and and decided to give t a try. I have had no issues, it doesnt taste bad, and i havnt built a tolerance to it. It works faster than benadryl and cost 12 USD for two bottles. I have been sleeping wonderfully nearly every night since i started taking it. Hope this helps anyone who happens to stumble upon this post.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:52 AM

Cool, and thank'ee! I started the post in honest ignorance, and got a lot of very good answers. The prevailing wisdom seemed to be that Zquil wasn't a very good idea, but it certainly isn't as bad as vodka or Nyquil.

(For my part, when I can't sleep, I just turn on the light and read a while. But...I've never had anything like serious clinical insomnia.)

Ultimately...the fact that it's legal to sell over the counter in this country is probably a fairly high reassurance that it isn't significantly harmful, at least when used according to proper directions.