The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 AM

Jynx, your mother needs to get her priorities straight. Mine was in despair because Littlebro completely refused to read anything he did not have to; he'd even wait until his friends had read whichever books they'd been assigned for Spanish class, so they would be able to tell him the story.
Advertisements  
Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Romney Voldemort supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
MOOOOOOM, well, she's an old broad, so really she prefers hard candy. Not the small ones though cause she might choke on those.
I'll just ease over to the other side of the room, as far from Swampy as possible.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Wise move, flytrap! On the other hand, the bear likes to think he's funny and who am I to bust his little bubble...

Lunch is done - very unsatisfying. Probably due to lack of chocolate.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
Sure, if we ever do have to be assholes at least we try and be well rounded ones. Wait, I mean it would take a unique perspective to see us as assholes. Ugh, what I'm trying to say is that we'd only look like assholes in a pinch. Arrrggh...nevermind.
hahahahahahaha

So going back to the OP. I remember One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue fish being an awesome book as a child, but I had the hubs read it to the twins last night and it was long and there was no coherent theme or story line. It read like 4 stories in one. I was confused. Was Dr. Seuss was on acid or something?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM

I've long suspected he was. Thankfully he wrote in English and in verse; while attempts at translating his books (or the horrible, horrible movie based on them*) into Spanish aren't much more incoherent than the original, they end up being quite unsellable. The attempts I've seen didn't have the verse, so there isn't even a rhytm and rhyme to offset the weirdness - weird is common in children's books, but not to that level.

* I happened to watch about five minutes of it once while channel surfing. That particular bit managed to communicate that "milk is bad for you" - gee, very educational!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I always figured Dr. Seuss was just having fun with the language and using it to engage children.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Dr. Seuss is trippy and was probably trippin' but ya gotta admit his books have a certain appeal not just to kidlets but to adulterated humans too. Well the English speakin' adulterated humans.

flytrap that's a biiiiiig fish! Looks like it'd fry up real nice.

Oh, the Lutherans voted to join in with us Episcopalians and become one church as of January. One of the main items on last night's agenda at Vestry meetin' was to ratify the MOU to that effect. What does this mean? Well, we now have an Episcopal church that has two services on Sunday, an early service that uses the Lutheran liturgy and a later, main service from the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer. Yeah, that really cleared that all up didn't it.

Oh and N.O.L. was good. Plus I had cookies!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:49 PM

I had cookies too. Hommade peanut butter cookies. They were lovely.

Hullo, Jynx! Welcome!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
Well, we now have an Episcopal church that has two services on Sunday, an early service that uses the Lutheran liturgy and a later, main service from the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer. Yeah, that really cleared that all up didn't it.
But do the Lutherans keep Kosher?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I always figured Dr. Seuss was just having fun with the language and using it to engage children.
Read One Fish......It isn't like Cat in the Hat or The Grinch, there is no story or coherent theme. It jumps from fish to look at all these weird pets we have to look at all the stuff we can do that you should try to do back to the weird pet thing (I think). And it's like 3 times as long as his other books. I must have been a weird kid to like that book. I think it was because I liked fish and thought I was going to be a marine biologist like Cousteau.
I do remember loving Zoobooks. I got the subscription for almost 3 years.
http://shop.zoobooks.com/LandingPage...FQkFnQodbm4AQg (Mute sound if you are at work)

Last edited by April R; 11-13-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Flytrap I am given to believe that Lutherans will chow down on bacon and ham with the best of 'em.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Apes - that was my point - there didn't need to be a story - it was just fun with words!

My daughter got Zoobooks for years! I wonder if she kept any?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Mea Culpa! Please forgive me MMP Goddess (FCM) and Gods (Swampy & Doggio).

Please take these humble offerings offerings as a sign of my sincerest appology.

For MOOOOOM May I offer virtual fairy chocolatey truffleness http://www.trufflefairy.com/

For Swampy may I offer virtual swamp beer http://greatblackswampbrewing.com/

For Doggio may I offer ummmmmm............this wierd beer brand I found an image of....http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fLs57LeuX5..._Bollocks.jpeg

I hope these tributes, however insignificant will appease the mighty ones.*

*(please dont thunder bolt and lightnening me.....very very frightening me)

Gallileo

Last edited by Jynxster; 11-13-2012 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: Because thuder bolt sounds not as scary
Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Jinx thanks! I'm sure doggio is used to dawg slobber in his beer. My sis has a dawg, Troy, an American Pit Bull and the biggest baby you ever saw, who will do his best to sneak a sip of any open beer he spies. Cracks me up!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynxster View Post
(please dont thunder bolt and lightnening me.....very very frightening me)

Gallileo
No! We will not let you go!!

White Chocolate over here, please!

The Cat in the Hat has a pretty good translation into Hebrew

Quote:
Lunch is done - very unsatisfying.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:27 PM

MOOOOOOM, as far as what I wear whilst working from home, it's finally cold enough that I can slip on my crazy warm LL Bean moccasins. Any other time of year they'll melt your feet off, especially living in Swampy's necka'thawoods as I do. Other than those, I usually just pull on a pair of khaki's or jeans and a sweatshirt.

What about summertime, you ask? Just a yellow banana hammock and a heavy gold necklace works nicely .

Swampy, I worked full-time from home for about 5 years, now I'm back to doing one or two days a week, mainly so peoples can admire my countenance during meetings. Bleh. Oh well, at least I have a job.

Welcome, Jinx! I'm new to the MMP too. It's fun here!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone Special View Post

The Cat in the Hat has a pretty good translation into Hebrew
Th ct n th ht.

Last edited by carnivorousplant; 11-13-2012 at 02:31 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Th ct n th ht.
חתול תעלול
Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Up, irk, over-caffeinated: I stopped off at Subway for a sammich and it took three tries before I got out a coherent sentence (three sentences, actually, because I compiled them all together into one incomprehensible jumble).

Find of the week for me: I've been using Starbuck's Via instant coffee packets because I don't have ready access to coffee-making implements in the house I'm renting a room in. They're normally $10 for 12. Starbucks is selling a christmas package, $16 for 25, with five of each of five different types. Assuming they're all drinkable (one type is decaf, however, so I shall save those for tasty, warm, evening beverages), that's noticeably cheaper than the usual price, so I shall be buying a box a week and stockpiling them for the long, cold winter of no coffee maker.

Tried two different types this morning, total of four cups of coffee, which goes a LONG way towards explaining the over-caffeination.

Carry on.

Last edited by Ethilrist; 11-13-2012 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: I like string
Old 11-13-2012, 03:01 PM

I'm disproportionally excited by this: last night I was tweeting about Batman: The Brave and the Bold, as I do every time I watch it, because it's serious quite close to the best cartoon ever. And one of the animators retweeted me.

I am easily excited.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone Special View Post
He doesn't look feline.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Tyger View Post
I'm disproportionally excited by this: last night I was tweeting about Batman: The Brave and the Bold, as I do every time I watch it, because it's serious quite close to the best cartoon ever. And one of the animators retweeted me.

I am easily excited.
That is cool, you should be excited
Old 11-13-2012, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome all. I feels the luvs.

Anyone got any good "safe" websites to entertain me? I haz a case of the boreds-at-works.

Also my nose won't stop itching! Just thought I would share.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Nested_Thorn View Post
What about summertime, you ask? Just a yellow banana hammock and a heavy gold necklace works nicely .
Well thanks for that mental image. I hope you brought some brain bleach.

Wanda was very very happy to see us. But like a good doggy, she used the litter box - the only wet on the floor was the tipped-over water dish. She and Taz are chasing each other around the house right now. Our rooms all flow together in a sorta ring - kitchen to family room to living room to dining room to kitchen - perfect for critters running in a mad circle chasing each other. Dangerous for human pedestrians when the critters are running!

Jynx - according to my not-at-all superstitious mother, if your nose itches, you're going to kiss a fool.

Supper will be salmon and some sides. And that brings us up to date!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Jynx - according to my not-at-all superstitious mother, if your nose itches, you're going to kiss a fool.
And I am just about to go home and kissy my hubby.......hmmmmmm
Old 11-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Ethilrist, if you can spare a few square inches in your room, plus spend 20 bucks, you can get a wonderfully serviceable single-serving <up to about 20 oz, I think> coffee maker from Walmart, if that's your thing. We got one to replace the defunct Keurig and I've been wondering ever since why we bothered with the Keurig in the first place. I can't find the exact one we have online as an example, but it's SO much cheaper than either Keurig or single-serving instants. Can use whatever you want, the filter is easy to clean and reusable, just invaluable.

Hell, for 20 bucks you can get an actual coffee maker, hehe.

Last edited by Taomist; 11-13-2012 at 03:39 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Supper was good. Darkness has fallen. Veg time is about to begin!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Jynx I hear one can be amused hours on end with lolcats or whatever that's called. I'm sure Rosie will be along to point the way.

Dindin was beef veggie soup and grilled cheese sammiches. MMMMMM....... homemade soup too!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM

Big Deal Biannual Corporate Inspection is Thursday.

The terror began yesterday.

At least Blondie will be working 1/3 of the shift with me Thursday. We can goof off until we have to behave again.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm the *Cute* one. =^.^=

There is only one downside to all the repair and rescue vehicles out and about - they're messing with my commute and I'mm really tired of it. I am now convinced that their shifts are set to coincide with Joe & Jane Office Worker, because they're always dozens of them, going 20mph or slower, during rush hours. I know they serve an essential service but *whine whine bitch moan*

In other news, the Management is giving us an early T-Day feast for lunch tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Well, %&@#^$%&*$*)(&# My dryer died. It spins but it doesn't get hot. Yesterday it did 6 loads just fine. Then it died. I didn't realize it had died till this morning when my load of whites was still soggy and there were lights flashing on the panel.

So my family room is bedecked with unders, socks, bras, and tshirts. It's a nice, warm room, tho, with the pellet stove going, so everything should be dry by tomorrow.

And from a local site, I found a repair company that gets high marks, so I submitted a trouble request to them - they should call tomorrow. Stoopit dryer. I hate Kenmore. This is the second time in less than 6 years that it's crapped out on us. Stoopit Kenmore.

I'm going to knit.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:51 PM

Well if it makes you feel any better FCM, we have had a large irregular hole cut into the dry wall in our kids room for a month now after the plumbers came over to check out washing machine drain line for leaks. (Me and the hubs artfully covered it with a baby blanket and thumb tacks, despite our cover up job my son is too scared to sleep close to the wall on his bed so he practically falls off the edge of the bed every night trying to stay away from the hole :P )

Because we rent it has been several back and forth phone tag sessions with our rental agency and the people they contract with to get an appointment to get the hole fixed. They said they would be there tomorrow at 9am to fix the hole, but you know what that means in repair man speak. They better be there and done before 1:30 because that is when I have to leave for class. I cannot miss class, I have my comprehensive exams next Monday and Tuesday for my Master's Degree.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM

Hello new people- I prefer dark chocolate, if there's any offerings left?

I'm needle felted out for the night; I started off making a few simple axolotl and lizard models, a few weeks ago then my Mammy got excited when she came over, and comandeered my entire stock, but said I didn't have enough, she wanted 10 of them- my choice what they are.
They've been getting more and more elaborate, and I'm now up to 9- the last one took approx 8 hours of continuous stabbing of felt and now my wrists are starting to go all achey. I bet it won't sell for anything even approaching a reasonable value, given the time spent.

Need one more lizard to make, and then I can start re-making them for the craft stall I was making them for in the first place, which is on the 1st december

Uuurgh.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
he practically falls off the edge of the bed every night trying to stay away from the hole
Screw a piece of plywood over it.
I'd have fixed it, but if I didn't and my renter sealed it with plywood and screws, I'd be happy.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 PM

So today went well though I'm still settling in. The best part was my window shopping only trip to Goodwill. Of course I came home with a London Fog coat and actual real pashmina for five bucks total. Gotta love half off items in my size, style and color.

Now I'm set for all but the freezyest weather if I can find winter shoes. Boots? What do you wear if you're somewhere not quite cold enough to snow, kinda rainy, but not going outdoors terribly often?

FCM if the bowl keeps getting tipped you could mebbee get a wide shallowish bowl for Wanda. Make one! Perhaps penguin themed for Christmas.

Jynxie you might like theoatmeal.com. I third lolcats.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
swampy and doggio think they should get beer, but they're not nearly as important as I am.
But...but...but I like beer, too.
(Occasionally in winter even combining the two in w/ a chocolate beer.)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Oh bugger... We have to make an unplanned trip to Rhode Island tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes, Ashes View Post
FCM if the bowl keeps getting tipped you could mebbee get a wide shallowish bowl for Wanda. Make one! Perhaps penguin themed for Christmas.
Yes, a statue of a little penguin peeing into the bowl!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM

Oh! Filbert! Post pictures of your creatures-- I've always liked felting and need inspiration. Peeeeze?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
But...but...but I like beer, too.
(Occasionally in winter even combining the two in w/ a chocolate beer.)
Mmmmm... Double chocolate stout!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes, Ashes View Post
So today went well though I'm still settling in. The best part was my window shopping only trip to Goodwill. Of course I came home with a London Fog coat and actual real pashmina for five bucks total. Gotta love half off items in my size, style and color.

Now I'm set for all but the freezyest weather if I can find winter shoes. Boots? What do you wear if you're somewhere not quite cold enough to snow, kinda rainy, but not going outdoors terribly often?

Jynxie you might like theoatmeal.com. I third lolcats.
Frye Boots. I have owned my frye-knock off, real leather boots from Target for 3 years now. I have had the soles repaired once after 3 years. Best pair of boots I have ever owned. Completely water proof, low heeled slip resistant soles, and about a half size too big so I can layer socks in them to keep my tootsies warm. Only cost me $45 to buy and about $40 to repair.

http://blogs.uoregon.edu/artandhuman...hanna-elliott/
I LOVE these shoes
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 PM

I might be doing something really stupid. The scariest movie of all time is on. I've seen parts but never the whole thing because, frankly, it scares crap outta me. Do I stay up until way after my bedtime and watch it? I may or may not work tomorrow... but I might never sleep again. I bet you can guess the movie.
SPOILER:
The Exorcist

OMG. The noises coming out of the attic? I'm one big assed goosebump.

Last edited by lieu; 11-13-2012 at 09:10 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh... Call 911! Call 911!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
I might be doing something really stupid. The scariest movie of all time is on. I've seen parts but never the whole thing because, frankly, it scares crap outta me. Do I stay up until way after my bedtime and watch it? I may or may not work tomorrow... but I might never sleep again. I bet you can guess the movie.
SPOILER:
The Exorcist

OMG. The noises coming out of the attic? I'm one big assed goosebump.
LOL. I was 14 when I first saw that. My mom warned me not to watch it, but I insisted and I guess she wanted me to learn a lesson about listening to my mother Needless to say, I take her warnings much more seriously now. My least favorite part was the self infliction with the crucifix. Disturbing.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Irked for 15 hours, came home. Just a brief text with Hockey Lady tonight(Miss Sleepyhead is in bed by 10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynxster View Post
Mea Culpa! Please forgive me MMP Goddess (FCM) and Gods (Swampy & Doggio).

For Doggio may I offer ummmmmm............this wierd beer brand I found an image of....http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fLs57LeuX5..._Bollocks.jpeg

I hope these tributes, however insignificant will appease the mighty ones.*

*(please dont thunder bolt and lightnening me.....very very frightening me)

Gallileo
I like this one, can we keep her?

Ashes2, I like chocolate stouts. It's desert and a nightcap rolled into one.

gotti, why the trip?

lieu, relax. all you need is an old priest a young priest, and a short medium. And fire, and lots of it!

Last edited by dogbutler; 11-13-2012 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: [Jedi Mind Trick]These are not the typos you are looking for[/JMT]
Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 PM

Doggio, Hmmm, I dunno young man.. Who's going to be responsible for walking and feeding her?

Lieu, My Father purposly scared the crap out of my Mother after they saw that movie *LOL*
Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janis_and_c0 View Post
Lieu, My Father purposly scared the crap out of my Mother after they saw that movie *LOL*
I hope his funeral was well attended.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janis_and_c0 View Post
Doggio, Hmmm, I dunno young man.. Who's going to be responsible for walking and feeding her?
I'm responsible. Sorta.

Up, caffeinated, off to irk. Is it Saturday yet?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffienatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 54 Amurrkin out with a predicted high of *only* 58 and maybe rain this afternoon. Guess this means I should take a jacket to irk.

gotti is the maternal unit located in Rhode Island? I remember a thing goin' on with her from last week. Hope everything is ok.

MOOOOOOM Kenmore appliances are either really good or really crappy. No inbetween. Hope the dryer can be fixed without too much difficulty. Dryers should not crap out. That should be a rule.

lieu.......

SPOILER:
BOO!!!!!!

Now I need more caffiene and rumbly tummy wants to be fed now! Then, alas and alack, irk purtification must commence. Le sigh.

Happy Hump Day Y'all!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:19 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Good morning!

I know I saw The Exorcist, but I'm equally sure I turned away from lots of it. I also know I went on a blind date and we saw The Omen - ick ick ick ick ick Last blind date I ever had. I'll take my movies silly and happy, with the occasional suspense (minus gore) thrown into the mix. Bonus if it's a musical!

Nothing like waking up to an underwear-filled room! At least it's all dry - I left the pellet stove going all night, so even the socks are dry. I get to fold it all when I get home - yay! And I'm going to wash a load and hang it on the lines tonight, so it'll all be dry when we come home tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'll wait for the repair guys to call.

Spidey - exactly how was I to know that you like beer, huh? You didn't fill out your preference survey when you became a Mumper. Do you have any ideas how many demerits that is???

A2 - we already discussed getting her a proper bowl. Last night, I put a small Corningware pot in her cage for water - even that got partly dumped, and it's square and relatively heavy. Wanda just likes to mess with me - I'm convinced of it.

I'm sure there was more, but my brain isn't awake and I've got a pile of work to do this morning, so I shall leave you to entertain yourselves.

Oh goody - just got word I have to go to Johnstown next week. So much for taking time off...

Happy Wednesday!!