The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-30-2012, 12:14 PM

The Office - 11/29/12 - The Target

Angela knows about Oscar and her husband. Jim needs a favor from Stanley and Phyllis. Pam starts her Mural. Pete builds a tower of complaint cards.

Overall, it wasn't bad, although I don't think Angela would want Oscar killed... that's a bit extreme. I actually liked the Jim plot. I also like Pete, and hope he ends up with Erin.
Advertisements  
Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM

I thought this was one of the best episodes they've done in awhile. Everything worked for me and Dwight came off really well (except for his nude "exercising" I guess).

Anybody else want to hear what Darryl sounds like eating spaghetti?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
Anybody else want to hear what Darryl sounds like eating spaghetti?
I expect a lot of slurping and moans of pleasure.

Agree Dwight was good, and I like the new guy and his tower, but I thought the other stuff was pretty meh.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 PM

Dwight and Angela talking to Toby about gays was one of the funniest scenes on the show ever.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Dwight and Angela talking to Toby about gays was one of the funniest scenes on the show ever.
Couldn't agree more. I was howling at that scene.

"Is it called red-vining? I heard it was called red-vining."
Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

The new guy and his house of cards was funny, but what was up with Pam calling a customer to insult them, just so they could add a card (representing a customer complaint and a lost account) to the stack? That seemed completely irrational. Do any of them actually want their company to succeed?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

"Oh we've got all afternoon to talk about that."
"Morning, folks."
"I'll take the surf and turf with a side of lobster."
"Well actually the surf and turf comes with lobster..."
"Not enough lobster. Side order."
"How much wine do you have?"
Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

They're obviously setting everyone up for a happy ending which is nice. My predictions:

Jim's new business is a huge success and he gets to quit D-M to do something he loves. He brings Darrell, Stanley and Phyllis with him to the new business.

Since Jim makes enough money, Pam can focus on her art full time and becomes a success of her own.

Erin and Andy live happily ever after, married and working at D-M which they love. The new dude works their too but we see a glimmer that he will eventually end up successful like Jim.

The Senator ends up with Oscar. Angela ends up married to Dwight. Angela and Dwight become tolerant and the four of them co-parent the kid.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 PM

Hated it. It really drove home how far this series has fallen. A paid-for attempted murder (involving someone comically terrible at it) all caught on camera in an episode where that very camera crew is acknowledged.

The show is now officially a live-action cartoon.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
The new guy and his house of cards was funny, but what was up with Pam calling a customer to insult them, just so they could add a card (representing a customer complaint and a lost account) to the stack? That seemed completely irrational. Do any of them actually want their company to succeed?
She was afraid to start on the mural because she was afraid of making a mistake, she was the only one in the whole office who had never made a mistake or had a complaint. It was a way to just let go and stop worrying about screwing up. And no, i think none of them give much of a shit about the company.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
It's a comedy show.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post

The Senator ends up with Oscar. Angela ends up married to Dwight. Angela and Dwight become tolerant and the four of them co-parent the kid.
It's kind of shame they made that attempt at a Dwight spin off because I believe if that hadn't existed they would have made the baby Dwight's which would make the happy ending much easier.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
It's kind of shame they made that attempt at a Dwight spin off because I believe if that hadn't existed they would have made the baby Dwight's which would make the happy ending much easier.
What...no spin-off??

How about Dwight's buddy the assassin? He was great....has he appeared before?
Old 12-01-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the .... ?!?! View Post
What...no spin-off??

How about Dwight's buddy the assassin? He was great....has he appeared before?
According to Rainn Wilson on Twitter, NBC decided not to go with The Farm and the pilot will air as an episode of The Office.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
Hated it. It really drove home how far this series has fallen. A paid-for attempted murder (involving someone comically terrible at it) all caught on camera in an episode where that very camera crew is acknowledged.

The show is now officially a live-action cartoon.
Agreed. It was a terrible half-hour of television.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 AM

Eh... I thought it had elements of the old office carried out to new office extremes. Overall it was nice to see the old elements but it may not have been similar enough to win everyone over. I at least applaud the effort if not the execution.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
They're obviously setting everyone up for a happy ending which is nice. My predictions:

1. Jim's new business is a huge success and he gets to quit D-M to do something he loves. He brings Darrell, Stanley and Phyllis with him to the new business.

Since Jim makes enough money, Pam can focus on her art full time and becomes a success of her own.

2. Erin and Andy live happily ever after, married and working at D-M which they love. The new dude works their too but we see a glimmer that he will eventually end up successful like Jim.

3. The Senator ends up with Oscar. Angela ends up married to Dwight. Angela and Dwight become tolerant and the four of them co-parent the kid.
(I added numbers)

1. Agree. But I think DM will finally go out of business at the end.

2. Disagree. Erin and Pete are going to get together! The house of cards scene where he's giving an inspirational speech and she's smiling at him. The scene where they go out to dinner. The scene where he shaves his moustache for her. I really, really miss Kelly. I wish Mindy could have stuck around for just one more season. I feel like Kelly would have picked up on this immediately and intervened in a hilarious way.

3. Probably. I hope so. I've been hoping for a while that it will turn out the DNA test was a fluke and the baby really is Dwight's, but that's not going to happen. I've always liked Oscar but I'm kind of disgusted with him at this point.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

I agree that between Andy taking his boat trip without Erin, and Pete making eyes at her (and being a genuinely nice guy), that E&P will end up together at the end of the season.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romadea View Post
2. Disagree. Erin and Pete are going to get together! The house of cards scene where he's giving an inspirational speech and she's smiling at him. The scene where they go out to dinner. The scene where he shaves his moustache for her.
Well, yeah, that was about as subtle as a sledge hammer. But New Guy is being a manipulative dick and it will backfire on him and Andy will get the girl. They are adding that tension for drama.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

I laughed out loud at Hide's shouting up at Pam "You are bad painter!"
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
Angela knows about Oscar and her husband. Jim needs a favor from Stanley and Phyllis. Pam starts her Mural. Pete builds a tower of complaint cards.

Overall, it wasn't bad, although I don't think Angela would want Oscar killed... that's a bit extreme. I actually liked the Jim plot. I also like Pete, and hope he ends up with Erin.
(Emphasis added.)

You misspelled The Senator.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Well, yeah, that was about as subtle as a sledge hammer. But New Guy is being a manipulative dick and it will backfire on him and Andy will get the girl. They are adding that tension for drama.
Umm.. how is he being a dick exactly?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM

Deleted-scenes

http://www.officetally.com/the-offic...deleted-scenes
Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
Umm.. how is he being a dick exactly?
Manipulating a not so bright woman into bed who is in a committed relationship.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 PM

Are we talking about the same new guy?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes3 View Post
Are we talking about the same new guy?
Yeah, it sounds like Hajaro's talking about the creeper w/ glasses. New Guy Pete is clearly being made into the "New Jim" and Erin/Andy are being made into Pam/Roy redux. They've gone to great lengths to show how poorly Andy and Erin's relationship has been going.

Last edited by GrandWino; 12-05-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, it sounds like Hajaro's talking about the creeper w/ glasses. New Guy Pete is clearly being made into the "New Jim" and Erin/Andy are being made into Pam/Roy redux. They've gone to great lengths to show how poorly Andy and Erin's relationship has been going.
No. I was talking about Pete and have a different take than you. I like your idea better but I thought that Pete was kind of dickish. I know that they had that new guys are like Jim and Dwight thing in an early episode so I will give it some thought.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

I can't see anything manipulative or dickish about Pete's behavior. It's not dickish to simply have a personality that's more attractive to a woman than her current boyfriend's personality.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:42 PM

...Yeah calling him "dickish" is pretty baseless.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

He's manipulating her by being nice?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

I do see your point. I just had thought that the niceness wasn't sincere.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
True, but I think it will go in the other direction from Jim and Pam for that very reason: explore how things could have gone had Pam and Roy stayed together.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:41 AM

I don't think it works as well because we have so much invested in Andy. If Andy had stuck with the original persona of an office douche who comes up with lame nicknames and had anger management issues it would be easier to draw a parallel. The current Andy with his parents, an affinity for show choir, and general overall underdogitude makes it harder to root against him and there's no clear "best choice" for Erin.

Personally I think both can do better, however cute Erin is/can be.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes3 View Post
Personally I think both can do better, however cute Erin is/can be.
And she was looking very cute in this episode.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 AM

New Jim is a good guy.
The only problem is getting him into Jim position of being a joker dating the hot receptionist who is engaged to a co-worker. It means writing Andy so he's acting stupider then when he was wearing ridiculous pants, and Erin suddenly has an attitude about his quirks like acapella.
His part is classic Jim. But their parts took a dive.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 AM

Andy goes back-and-forth as a likable character. I was rooting for him to become the new boss, because he had grown as a character since his early days where he was totally unlikable. He turned into a loveable yet sometimes, (unintentionally), annoying person. Remember, in his plea to his co-workers to become the new boss, he said that he liked everyone and wouldn't change anything, and I miss that Andy. He reverted a little back to his old, unlikable self this season.

This is why I miss Robert California, as I think there was a good dynamic between him, and the more likeable Andy. Now Andy's become a bit of a tool. Last season he lost his job to go get Erin back from Florida. And that's the Andy I was rooting for to get the girl.

I remember after getting his heart broken by Angela, Andy was assured by Jim that he WOULD find someone else. I wouldn't mind if Robert California's ex-wife came back into the picture and filled that void in Andy's life, while Pete nabs Erin.

One of the reasons I've liked the past few episodes is because Andy isn't even in them. This episode I especially liked, though I know some of you didn't.

When trying to choose between Gabe and Andy, Michael told Erin maybe she shouldn't be with either of them. The way Andy's been acting, I'm not so sure Erin should be with him, although Andy sacrificed a lot for Erin in the past, (breaking up with his old GF and losing his job).

I really don't want to see Andy alone, but a part of me is rooting for Pete when it comes to Erin's affection. I think Erin's a "catch" with some quirks. She's sweet, she's hot, and I don't care that she's a bit of a "rube"... that's something that I find enduring,
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Endearing?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Endearing?
Ahh, yes. Spelling mistake.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:13 PM

Bits of Erin's eccentricities are beyond the pale though. It's masked by the fact that she's attractive. One example is that she doesn't own a toothbrush yet still brushes her teeth. Both can do better. Jim could have too, for that matter. I was on team Karen all the way.